• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Snowflake: How I trolled a Confederate flag rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally posted a much shorter version of this in the Black Culture thread. After answering a couple of questions, I felt that maybe it deserved its own thread. If I am mistaken, please lock/mock.

About a week ago, I saw online a newspaper article that said there was going to be a rally for the Confederate flag not too far from where I live. This bothered me greatly. I could have just tweeted my outrage or do some other boring thing, but eff that. So on Saturday, my buddy and I drove 90 miles or so to do some IRL trolling .

The scene as we approached the park:
eFgdpZT.jpg

Some spectators watching an old fart give one of several speeches that all amounted to "We're not racist!":
X9QMPHF.jpg

Me and my pal:
eiBqEm6.jpg

In case anyone is confused:
I am holding the snowflake sign. The joke is that I am using their words against them. They say it about the election and I'm saying it about the Civil War. My friend's sign is a joke about surrendering.

When we arrived on scene, the event was already underway. We strode up confidently and with purpose. Just as we were about to breach the perimeter of the main cluster of losers, an open-carrying biker stepped in our path and said something like "That's far enough." A bunch of heads turned and a few of the losers came up to take our picture. A couple even posed for selfies with us. There were palpable looks of disgust from the majority. I just gave them my best million-dollar smile.

There was a group of black college kids watching the proceedings who seemed happy to see us. One of them took our pics and said he appreciated my BLM shirt. They did not appear to be actively protesting, except just by existing, which counts in my book.

There were a few other protesters, who were also glad to see us. Together we spent much of the time providing MST3K-style comedy and commentary as the parade of idiots at the podium droned on.

Behind us were locals who seemed visibly distressed by the rally. I overheard one woman ask one of the higher-ranking cops "Why are they doing this to our town?"

He sighed and said "I don't know. They could have said no." I assume he meant whoever signed off on the permit. It was good to see that the locals and the cops were not pleased by the rally.

And at the very edge of the park, sorta blocked off by cops, was a very energetic and loud protester holding a sign with "Confederate flag = treason." He was shouting pretty much the entire time. He had excellent timing and would drop zingers whenever there was a lull in the speech from the podium.

Pudgy Richard Spencer Jr there in the 3rd pic instigated the one moment that got heated. There was a protester with a sign that said "Veteran Against Ignorance." You can see him to the right of the 3rd pic. When Lil Richard saw the sign he demanded to see the dude's DD-214 form. Dude lol'ed, asked who the fuck carries that around, and said it was at home in his desk. Tubby blathered on, saying we were dishonoring real veterans, so my buddy, a marine, jumped in echoing his incredulity at the request, pointing out that he and I were veterans, too. Then a confederate biker chimed in, claiming that he always carries his DD-214 around. My buddy called bullshit and said to show it. Biker was like no. My buddy then says he can easily show his own veteran's card if they want to see it. Things unraveled from there, with shouting, name-calling and puffing of chests. Bikers surrounded tubby and it seemed like it was about to come to blows until a few cops intervened.

The rally closed with the dopes singing Dixie. We joined in, but made a mockery of it, doing a freestyle parody version. We ended it with: Run away, run away, run away, Dixieland!

Would do again.

namDa65

Ballsy men. Respect.

Too bad it's virtually impossible to change people's mindsets when they are older. What's the best way? Reasoning? Logic? Appeal to Emotion?

Moosichu

Wow, have lots of respect for what you did. A really nice and heart warming story knowing that the fight back against racism is just as real as racism itself.

The Kree

Banned
Losers celebrating losing by flying a loser's flag. That's definitively un-American, considering how exceptional we think we are.

I'll never understand it. It's too stupid to comprehend.

Good shit Count.

Confederate rallies are so dumb, it's a bunch of ass backwards remedial fucks who all swear they're "American patriots" but wave around a flag from a failed secession from America because they lost a war for "state's rights" (to own slaves you fucks, finish the sentence).

And before the typical devils advocate shit comes in here about "freedum of speech"; yes they're free to speak just as people are free to counter protest and tell them to dunk themselves in acid. The government hasn't gone out and arrested them for holding a rally about being proud of being descendants of traitors.

The white flag is brilliant for "true" confederate flag lmao.
Yeah, that's an amazing joke.

I never did get some American's obsession with the flag whilst simultaneously claiming to 'love the United States' when they're waving a flag of secessionists who fought against the United States. Especially when the Confederacy only existed because Lincoln wanted to get rid of slavery.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm just doing my part and hope to encourage others to find ways that they, too, can use their skills to expose, combat, or mock racism.

I also feel that as a tatted-up, bald white guy, I have some PR to do for my brothers. :p

Which State is this?

Oklahoma, which, as shitty as it is, wasn't even part of the confederacy.

Kinda funny/hypocritical that the same dopes who cry about foreigners not adapting to the local culture do pretty much the same thing when they fly this flag here.

fireflame

Hello, is the confederate flag bad? I have discussed with people who are very liberal and support it stating it is just part of history.

Losers celebrating losing by flying a loser's flag. That's definitively un-American, considering how exceptional we think we are.

I'll never understand it. It's too stupid to comprehend.

It really is. It always dumbfounds me how often it is that the folks who make such a big deal out of "patriotism" are the same ones who rally around this flag of a bunch of traitors.

wisdom0wl

LOOOOL @ a white flag as the confederate flag. Idk how those fucking losers act like they aren't holding the biggest L in the history of this country whenever they fly that idiot flag of theirs

I know these kinds of people. At my last job at Fedex there was some redneck who wore a confederate flag on his shirt that said "If you're offended by this shirt, you need a history lesson" and of course he drove a pick up truck covered in dirt and mud.

I would never attempt to troll something like this though.

Moosichu

Hello, is the confederate flag bad? I have discussed with people who are very liberal and support it stating it is just part of history.

There are many flags which are part of history, doesn't mean you should wave them about saying you support them. The confederate flag is a flag representing the side in a civil war that wanted to keep slavery.

There are many flags which are part of history, doesn't mean you should wave them about saying you support them. The confederate flag is a flag representing the side in a civil war that wanted to keep slavery.

It also was generally historical until the 50s when it came back to counter the Civil Rights movement.

i appreciate that you wrote in big letters without having to cram a few in at the end because you ran out of space.

your buddy, not so much.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The confederate flag is explicitly a symbol of oppression. It represents the desire to keep black people enslaved. This is pretty well documented historical fact.

It may be other things to some people, but any attempt to hand-waive its connection to the confederate desire to keep blacks enslaved is inherently disingenuous.

Fuchsdh

i wish i could do stuff like this without being murdered

All you need to do is not be alone. The chances these people are actually going to do anything but bluster is close to nil, especially when there are witnesses and it wouldn't be stomping on one guy.

Quality troll. As a minority person I'd be worried about getting shot if I ever tried to pull this.

What's funny is that a mostly white flag was the actual confederate flag. Someone was telling me about it this weekend. Could have been quality trolling material for dookake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags...Confederate_States_of_America_(1863-1865).svg

You could run around with the Stars and Bars and no one would probably even know you were flying a Confederate flag. The fact that the battle flag variant is the one that got all the traction kind of ties into the whole exaggerated mythmaking after the war.

I mean, there's a difference between "it's a part of our history" and not wanting it expunged, and then there's running around with the flag plastered everywhere on modern-day objects, essentially giving it tacit approval. Same goes with the Nazi party iconography, or really any flag of a defunct country or movement.

facelike

After being on gaf enough, everytime I see a Confederate flag, I think of treason. Matter fact I even bring it up saying something like "hmm, the flag of treason". I've gotten a couple ire looks here and there. LOL

Excellent job, OP. Excellent job

Christian

I was driving around up here, in the suburbs around Pittsburgh, and I saw someone flying the Confederate battle flag at their house. I nearly drove into a phone pole from doing a double-take, then I nearly hopped out and lit the damn thing on fire. My very pregnant wife stopped me, thankfully. But in PITTSBURGH? Really?

Nice job, OP. You protested in a way that couldn't get you tossed in jail. I don't think I have the patience to do that, not with these hateful, ignorant people. Thanks for sharing the story. Keep up the great work.

Any other traitor rally scheduled? Should organize a GAF meetup/protest for locals of the area to head to.

I was driving around up here, in the suburbs around Pittsburgh, and I saw someone flying the Confederate battle flag at their house. I nearly drove into a phone pole from doing a double-take, then I nearly hopped out and lit the damn thing on fire. My very pregnant wife stopped me, thankfully. But in PITTSBURGH? Really?

They're unfortunately common in Rural Michigan. When I was working for rural schools there would always be a bunch of idiot high school kids with them in/on/attached to their pickups. There was also one flying in front of a home that I drove by to and from work everyday. And every time I wanted to stop my car and tear it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom