• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Snowflake: How I trolled a Confederate flag rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotaka

TlkHjxj.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Haha bravo. The blank flag especially is a great troll.

It's not blank. It's a white field representing the purity of the white race... and surrender.

Theonik

The true white privilege is being able to do that without fear of being shot.
Having said that it is also the only appropriate way to use it. Way to go lads!

The true white privilege is being able to do that without fear of being shot.
Having said that it is also the only appropriate way to use it. Way to go lads!

At the risk of coming across as argumentative, I'd like to point out two flaws in your first sentence.

The first is missing that the real "true white privilege" is being able to fly the flag of an enemy state and not be tossed in a cage. Imagine what would happen to some brown-skinned dude waving an ISIS flag. Of course, I acknowledge there is some privilege at play that I am able to exploit, but it is not the most important one in this scenario.

The second is assuming that I had no fear. Believe me, I had plenty. We were outnumbered and outgunned. Had that argument progressed further, who knows how poorly things could have gone for me or my friend. All it would have taken was for the cops to either not be paying attention or to be on the side of the racists. If I had wanted to truly flex my white privilege, I would have just stayed at home. I could easily sit this fight out. It's kind of like, although not exactly the same as, how a masculine gay guy can evade homophobia or how a light-skinned black person with European features could "pass" as white to get around racism. By engaging in this activity, I firmly assert my status as "race traitor" or whatever to people who take such things seriously.

These points aside, I appreciate your comment.

I originally posted a much shorter version of this in the Black Culture thread. After answering a couple of questions, I felt that maybe it deserved its own thread. If I am mistaken, please lock/mock.

About a week ago, I saw online a newspaper article that said there was going to be a rally for the Confederate flag not too far from where I live. This bothered me greatly. I could have just tweeted my outrage or do some other boring thing, but eff that. So on Saturday, my buddy and I drove 90 miles or so to do some IRL trolling .

Would do again.

While I say good job to this... how the hell is 90 miles "not too far" haha. That's determination to troll right there

Jombie

Hello, is the confederate flag bad? I have discussed with people who are very liberal and support it stating it is just part of history.

They celebrate racism / isolationism in the guise of southern heritage. You can honor the dead of the Civil War without hurting a marginalized group of people with a symbol that's become associated with white supremacy, they don't.

HeySeuss

Good on you Count. Fucking biker telling you "that's far enough", what a bunch of bullshit. I would have been tempted to press on further, but then you risk causing an scuffle and being removed before you could start.

White flag is classic lol

Donos

There is something i would like to ask. A member stated he would like to do this without being afraid to be murdered.

I would like to ask why. I mean America is supposed to be land of the free, and people grant a lot of importance to freedom speech.

So if i went to USA, why couldnt i mock openly the confederate flag? Pretty sure i could easily quote some american constituional rights?

Look how many people have guns in USA. In another "western" country you would have to fear maybe getting punched or someone with a knife threatening you. In USA, people get shot because of traffic (broad generalization. It's surely not everywhere like that and i don't say "don't go near USA" but still).

Congrats on the troll and chapeau for the balls.

moai

when i was a kid i liked the duke´s of hazard car and even owned several toys of it. never knew that the painting was the confederate flag. why was it more accepted back then?
(im not from the us so makes sense being 5 and not knowing that flag even existed)

when i was a kid i liked the duke´s of hazard car and even owned several toys of it. never knew that the painting was the confederate flag. why was it more accepted back then?
(im not from the us so makes sense being 5 and not knowing that flag even existed)

Racism wasn't as shunned. 1992 is the first Presidential election where black voter share was strong enough to tip the election, so that's when black people started gaining ground on all this shit laying around that most folks ignored.

I also loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid, but yeah, it's kinda hard to watch now because of the car. The movie kinda lampshaded it pretty well, if I remember.

You and your friend are amazing people! Definitely inspiring, and I hope to do something equally as ballsy.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately more like it???) we don't normally have displays of outrght ignorance like that up here in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom