• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Snowflake: How I trolled a Confederate flag rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving around up here, in the suburbs around Pittsburgh, and I saw someone flying the Confederate battle flag at their house. I nearly drove into a phone pole from doing a double-take, then I nearly hopped out and lit the damn thing on fire. My very pregnant wife stopped me, thankfully. But in PITTSBURGH? Really?

Nice job, OP. You protested in a way that couldn't get you tossed in jail. I don't think I have the patience to do that, not with these hateful, ignorant people. Thanks for sharing the story. Keep up the great work.

I guess you don't frequent central PA haha. I saw more confederate flags there than I do down south.

Hello, is the confederate flag bad? I have discussed with people who are very liberal and support it stating it is just part of history.

It is part of our history and as such belongs in teaching museums in order to give it the context of the evil it stood for and serve as a reminder of our past so that we may not make the same mistake. Where it does not belong is above government facilities or places of learning and the like. Anyone who flies it with pride are akin to Neo-nazis flying a Swastika flag in my book.

FreeMufasa

Take notes 'bu bu bu but....we have to listen to understand their viewpoint' clowns

These are true allies and what you should be doing

Christian

I guess you don't frequent central PA haha. I saw more confederate flags there than I do down south.

I went to undergrad at Bucknell, and I don't remember seeing the Confederate flag. And I traveled back and forth between Pittsburgh and Lewisburg pretty frequently. Of course, that was 15 years ago.

diaspora

Hello, is the confederate flag bad? I have discussed with people who are very liberal and support it stating it is just part of history.

It's a historical flag like the German 3rd reich flag. It shouldn't be removed from history but anyone waving it unironically should fuck off.

Moofers

Any other traitor rally scheduled? Should organize a GAF meetup/protest for locals of the area to head to.

They're unfortunately common in Rural Michigan. When I was working for rural schools there would always be a bunch of idiot high school kids with them in/on/attached to their pickups. There was also one flying in front of a home that I drove by to and from work everyday. And every time I wanted to stop my car and tear it down.

I'll never understand flying the confederate flag in places like Michigan. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I think its idiotic to fly it here too. YOU'RE IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOODS, MOTHERFUCKERS.

deadlast

I'm glad OP and Buddy didn't get shot. I know how much zeal some people have for that flag, and how it makes them act less than human.

I'll never understand flying the confederate flag in places like Michigan. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I think its idiotic to fly it here too. YOU'RE IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOODS, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Redneck culture is alive in rural Michigan. And as rednecks they love their signs of rebellion. Which is why I more frequently hear them called 'rebel flags' than confederate here. They like to try to pretend that that somehow changes the fact they're flying a sign of hate and bigotry. I even spoke to some of the administration at one school I worked at and tried to ask them why they allow students to have those flags on/in their cars on school property. They didn't understand the problem, even after I asked if Swastikas would be allowed and they said no those would not.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm just doing my part and hope to encourage others to find ways that they, too, can use their skills to expose, combat, or mock racism.

I also feel that as a tatted-up, bald white guy, I have some PR to do for my brothers. :p

Oklahoma, which, as shitty as it is, wasn't even part of the confederacy.

Kinda funny/hypocritical that the same dopes who cry about foreigners not adapting to the local culture do pretty much the same thing when they fly this flag here.

Sounds like you live not that far from where I do. And as a transplant to the area the Oklahoma reverence of the South doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, Arkansas and Texas were slave states but Missouri had split governments and Kansas fought with the Union. And hell Oklahoma didn't even exist as a state until almost 50 years after the Civil War started. So they're fortunate enough to not have to claim anything to do with the Confederacy, but for some reason (racism) they want to.

Camwi

Redneck culture is alive in rural Michigan. And as rednecks they love their signs of rebellion. Which is why I more frequently here them called 'rebel flags' than confederate here. They like tol try to pretend that that somehow changes the fact they're flying a sign of hate and bigotry.

Yep, see that shit in MN too. Always on some piece of shit pickup truck.

I don't know the hell these snowflakes can be so proud carrying a flag that basically belonged to traitors to the US. Shits insane to me

I went to undergrad at Bucknell, and I don't remember seeing the Confederate flag. And I traveled back and forth between Pittsburgh and Lewisburg pretty frequently. Of course, that was 15 years ago.

Altoona, Johnstown, Huntingdon area was where I lived. Prime redneck country I guess. Only lived there from '11 to '15. I was surprised to see that flag so much up there as someone from the south.

I don't know the hell these snowflakes can be so proud carrying a flag that basically belonged to traitors to the US. Shits insane to me

To them the Federal Government was a tyrannical traitor to the American people so to some I guess it represents standing up to the big federal government.

At first I thought you were the guy in the suit engaging in some kind of paul manafort cosplay, lol

They do look kind of similar!

I'm liberal. I believe people should be able to fly the confederate flag however they want, as it is (and should be, IMO) protected by the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. As a liberal, I also freely think that people who fly the confederate flag are fucking morons, as the confederate flag is a symbol of an insurrection against the US Government on the basis of keeping black people as slaves.

I also don't think that states should fly the flag or have it in their official state flags, but that's just my preference, I don't think there should necessarily be any legal statute banning it.

Which is just staggeringly ignorant considering that Pennsylvania had the most casualties of any Union state in the Civil War.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
The real confederate flag sign is fucking hilarious.

To them the Federal Government was a tyrannical traitor to the American people so to some I guess it represents standing up to the big federal government.

Yep. The tug of war between a strong central government and giving power to individual states is literally older than the nation itself. Like, it's definitely a symbol of oppression, but the Confederacy is just one chapter of an entire book of American History, one couched in rebellion at all stages of its life. Rebellion is probably the most American of values, frankly.

The power individual states wanted most was to own people, but y'know. Details.

Only went a couple times to see some wife's family. We lived in Altoona. We always took the kettle mountain route and was always a beautiful drive at least!

That it is.

But yeah, I was just talking with my grandmother a few weeks ago how it feels like the people in our community identify more with parts of the deep south than with Pittsburgh or even State College. It feels like a more recent trend too. It's always been a back woods area, but I don't recall seeing this many rebel flags in my youth.

Alucrid

Banned
nice. next time there should be some performance art. like roll up with a chair and table, set it up, pull out a pile of greasy wings and then use a confederate flag as a bib.

That it is.

But yeah, I was just talking with my grandmother a few weeks ago how it feels like the people in our community identify more with parts of the deep south than with Pittsburgh or even State College. It feels like a more recent trend too. It's always been a back woods area, but I don't recall seeing this many rebel flags in my youth.

Also saw a few times and had a good chuckle at window-bumper stickers "Northern by birth, Southern by intellectual choice" a play on the old thing I saw as a kid here in the south "American by birth, Southern by the grace of god"

But yes, we noticed that too it was mostly young adults flying it on their pick up trucks and Jeeps and what not. I suppose it's a side effect of economic impacts that have hit the area much like other parts of the north.

Christian

That it is.

Identifying with racists or members of a pedophile-enabling cult. Hmmm, tough choice. They both sound so tempting!

The fat kid in the suit still makes me laugh. Always gotta be one college kid with an education in a suit at these things to show they are "legitimate" and they always the most hateful ass one of the lot.

You guys are awesome. Legit lol'd at the biker who didn't produce the papers.

Edit: holy shit I'm totally stealing the white flag as the true confederate flag thing.

Fisty

Great show OP! Too bad these types are too stupid to debate with, then again if that was the case they probably wouldn't be so dangerous. Keep up the high-visibilty trolling, probably the most effective non-violent solution

Akainu

It's amazing really, these are the same people that would call others unamerican yet they worship a symbol of secession.

fireflame

There is something i would like to ask. A member stated he would like to do this without being afraid to be murdered.

I would like to ask why. I mean America is supposed to be land of the free, and people grant a lot of importance to freedom speech.

So if i went to USA, why couldnt i mock openly the confederate flag? Pretty sure i could easily quote some american constituional rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom