• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is trying to pull one over on fans by naming a C tier studio "Bioware Montreal".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The Bioware Studios are:

A Tier
Bioware Edmenton: ME 1,2 and 3, Dragon age series, and all classic Bioware games. Working on new IP now.

B Tier
Bioware Austin: SWTOR and helped with DA: I. I don't think they have a project other than swtor support now.

C Tier
Bioware Montreal (Formerly EA Montreal): Known for such hits as Boogie Superstar, Spore Hero and The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff. Their one solid effort is ME3 multiplayer.

Why is this a big deal? Well, EA Montreal was given the Bioware title so EA could cash in on a new Mass Effect and casual fans would not be the wiser. Particularly since the only thing people look for when it comes to developers is the name on the box (which would be Bioware). In other words, your average consumer won't know that the product isn't even made by the same people that it was prior (Edmenton).

Also, I can't find the interview so this could be "tales from my ass" level stuff, but if I remember correctly Bioware Montreal is made up of mostly new hires that were kids that grew up playing the original ME games and wanted to work on the new one. There is nothing wrong with this, but apparently there isn't enough senior oversight to keep them on track. Which is why after 5 years ME:A is an amateur level production that seems completely unpolished because EA finally said "Ship the damn thing, or else".

BY2K

Membero Americo
Are we sure EA Montreal in Bioware Montreal? Last I heard, they were two different studios in the same building with EA Motive.

While this feels too conspiratorial, people should know going into ME:A that it's not made by either of the dev teams behind the original ME trilogy or Dragon Age.

Remember folks, never pre-order.

burgerdog

Edmonton.

My face is tired. Anyway, it's starting to become apparent after all the amateur hour we have started to see from the first few hours of the game.

Are we sure EA Montreal in Bioware Montreal? Last I heard, they were two different studios in the same building with EA Motive.

They were. Bioware Montreal existed as a different entity from EA Montreal (though in the same building). EA Montreal closed and Bioware remained.
Later, (2years ago, while EA Montreal had been closed for more than 2-3years IIRC) EA Motive studio opened in the former EA Montreal place.

Krooner

given how staff flit between umbrella studios as and when needed, I think categorising them on perceived quality is completely useless.

The Hermit

All Bioware studios are D tier

mass-effect-shepard-head-spinning-360-13770416003.gif

Which is why after 5 years ME:A is an amateur level production that seems completely unpolished because EA finally said "Ship the damn thing, or else".
Amateur? Really.

You take an interesting point about whether games companies should be more transparent in their approach to satellite studios and yet you wrap it up in some total hyperbolic bullshit. C'mon man.

Personally, I think there should be a level of transparency but there is absolutely no way to enforce it.

I wonder why the main studio didn't make Andromeda? Kinda disappointing. What are they working on?

Amateur? Really.

You take an interesting point about whether games companies should be more transparent in their approach to satellite studios and yet you wrap it up in some total hyperbolic bullshit. C'mon man.

Personally, I think there should be a level of transparency but there is absolutely no way to enforce it.
Have you missed all impressions of the game, and/or haven't played it yourself yet? I really don't think he's being hyperbolic.

singhr1

They were. Bioware Montreal existed as a different entity from EA Montreal (though in the same building). EA Montreal closed and Bioware remained.
Later, EA Motive studio opened in the former EA Montreal place.

You got some sources to back up these claims/timeline?

kami_sama

Yeah, there's no sources for the claim.

While this feels too conspiratorial, people should know going into ME:A that it's not made by either of the dev teams behind the original ME trilogy or Dragon Age.

Remember folks, never pre-order.

Good point.

The studio behind one of the best new IPs this gen made Shellshock: Nam '67.

Also true, but we don't know if this info is real.

The Bioware Studios are:

A Tier
Bioware Edmenton: ME 1,2 and 3, Dragon age series, and all classic Bioware games. Working on new IP now.

B Tier
Bioware Austin: SWTOR and helped with DA: I. I don't think they have a project other than swtor support now.

C Tier
Bioware Montreal (Formerly EA Montreal): Known for such hits as Boogie Superstar, Spore Hero and The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff. Their one solid effort is ME3 multiplayer.

Why is this a big deal? Well, EA Montreal was given the Bioware title so EA could cash in on a new Mass Effect and casual fans would not be the wiser. Particularly since the only thing people look for when it comes to developers is the name on the box (which would be Bioware). In other words, your average consumer won't know that the product isn't even made by the same people that it was prior (Edmenton).

Also, I can't find the interview so this could be "tales from my ass" level stuff, but if I remember correctly Bioware Montreal is made up of mostly new hires that were kids that grew up playing the original ME games and wanted to work on the new one. There is nothing wrong with this, but apparently there isn't enough senior oversight to keep them on track. Which is why after 5 years ME:A is an amateur level production that seems completely unpolished because EA finally said "Ship the damn thing, or else".

1) Do you have any idea the turnover at every studio everywhere? No game series is made entirely by the people who made the one that you love
2) You haven't finished the new Mass Effect. Have you even played it? Or just seen some funny GIFs? It's got some animation screw ups. This is not amateur. Could you make it? No you could not. Don't insult people's work, work they've cared about. Animation shit isn't the be all and end all. (Let's not forget: the original game also had some terrible animation. And stupid faces. And bad frame rates. People loved it.)
3) You don't like Mass Effect Andromeda? Cool. No reason to insult everybody who worked on it.

Certainly explains a lot. I finished up with the Early Access trial on Xbox One minutes ago and I have little in the way positive impressions.

I mean, the gameplay is improved but everything else...ugh.

CryptiK

Bioware was never really an A Tier studio though, they made like 2 good games followed by bad and mediocre ones.

wildfire

Banned
I'm not necessarily doubting you, but is there any citation on the studio being renamed?

Yeah this is a serious allegation. It would put the quality control in a different light if the game was mostly done by one of EA's weakest studios.

Bioware was never really an A Tier studio though, they made like 2 good games followed by bad and mediocre ones.

Let's not get distracted with opinions. Even with the mistakes in story telling they made with ME 3 and the shit show that was Dragon Age 2 Bioware's level of quality in their polish on purely technical stuff has been consistent everywhere else.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Really gonna need a source for this man. Some credits or a logo in the game. Don't make others do your research.

Moppeh

Banned
The studio behind one of the best new IPs this gen made Shellshock: Nam '67.

Right, but there was this 10 year period where Guerilla Games created and worked on a multi-game AAA franchise.

They didn't directly go from Nam '67 to Horizon Zero Dawn.

If OP's allegations are even remotely right, then this that isn't a good comparison.

You got some sources to back up these claims/timeline?

EA Montreal opening in 2004
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-montreal-studio-open-for-business/1100-6091643/

Bioware Montreal opening in 2009
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioware-mass-ing-montreal-devs/1100-6205477/

EA Montreal closing in 2013
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/ea-montreal-issues-walking-papers-to-two-thirds-of-its-workers-1.1234603

My bad, EA Montreal closed way closer to the Motive studio announcement than I thought

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Amateur? Really.

The animation does look Garry's mod tier

Well, EA Montreal was given the Bioware title so EA could cash in on a new Mass Effect and casual fans would not be the wiser.

Which is why after 5 years ME:A is an amateur level production that seems completely unpolished because EA finally said "Ship the damn thing, or else".

This is my favorite part of the post, yes EA wanted to cash in by giving it to a new studio and tricking the fans, but then gave them 5 fucking years to finish it.

Really, what a cash grab by EA.

This topic feels needless and inflammatory. I couldn't find any evidence on EA Montreal (Army of Two) being renamed and relaunched as BioWare Montreal, so I think we're gonna need a citation on that.

Have you not seen the footage shown for the game? the faces, the animations, the Asari holding the gun backwards?
Yay, you proved you read Neogaf!

So, have you actually played it? The whole game I mean? Or did you just watch funny gifs and sling some great zingers about a gun being backwards in one scene?

Zemm

Also what the fuck is the actual Bioware working on then?

A new IP.

EA farmed this Mass Effect out to a team that have produced some small DLC in the past and no experience making a game on this scale. They clearly don't care for quality and are confident the game will sell on name alone. Which it will of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom