• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG dev teams: Which ones can get you to insta-buy?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tier A:

From Software

Tier B:

Falcom
Vanillaware
Zeboyd
Obsidian
Guerilla

Tier Meh:

Atlus
Square Enix
Blizzard
Bethesda
Namco-Bandai
(most every dev, really)

Tier Fuck Off:

Platinum
Monolith
Compile Hearts
Idea Factory

I haven't bought Tyranny yet so not Obsidian even though i like their games a lot.

Not BioWare, post-Andromeda.

So like, Atlus. And only Atlus.

ASaiyan

Banned
P-Studio, Game Freak, and IntiSys are instabuy. Everything else requires cross-referencing reviews and gameplay vids.

Most Western RPG devs are "C/D Tier", but that's just because those games aren't really my thing, lol.

Monolith Soft is now only one development team basically, so them because the worlds they make are some of the most inspiring in the medium.

Larian is an excellent studio for combat and role-playing mechanics because of their willingness to warp Table Top ideas and bring them forward with modern concepts.

Intelligent Systems make some of my favorite Scenario periods so I can't miss those.

Obsidian's works are traditional in comparison to Larian's but no less valuable I feel.

Outside of those, I'll generally give things a look before dismissing or supporting them.

Keasar

I agree about Bethesda not having the best stories though for some reason both Fallout 3 and Skyrim pulled me in for what I played of them. I would probably be among the 100+ hours people were it not for the fact that I don't generally like high tension games (these games frequently send you into underground tombs and bunkers. That said I actually finished and enjoyed Fallout 3 (though I missed most of the side quests).

I haven't finished DA:I but I think if it wasn't for all the meaningless sidequests (which I am growing a resistance to) it would be much more loved. I enjoy the core story and all the character related stuff. The cast of characters is one of the best from Bioware.

I don't have a strong enough memory of previous Mass Effect games to remember all the loose plot threads but Mass Effect 3 is the game that had the most powerful effect on me of all the ME games. The game was just amazing.

I would agree though that CDPR makes better stories than Bioware but I wouldn't use the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to prove that point. You really need to play the previous game Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. What resplendent storytelling, dialogue, characters and voice acting that game had. The third game was comparatively disappointing in the all those areas (though I hear and think the magic of the Witcher 3 is in how the main story and side quests interweave - the latter of which I largely avoided (side quests, I mean) due to the tension inherent in going off the beaten path in open world wilderness games. Also, the Witcher 3 could be quite harrowing in its outcomes for some of the most innocent actions from what I hear/understand).

Personally I think Bethesda games has their popularity due to being "sandbox" games. They put you in a world, say "You can do anything!" (not true) and then you're free to go in any direction and hack skeletons. The problem I have is that what there is to do is so shallow in terms of quality. Their quests are boring. They never challenge people intellectually or skill wise. Look at Skyrim for example, they have "puzzles" for example in dungeons, but 95% of those puzzles are some bloody "match-the-symbols" puzzle a toddler could do. And they repeat it ad-nauseam. That being said, I will confess I have roughly 400 hours of Skyrim playtime, but I can say that 380 at least of those hours is spent modding the crap out of the game, and playing Enderal instead of Skyrim. And that's for me what most Bethesda games come down to, they are fun to mod, but never to play on their own. Fallout: New Vegas was the one game I didn't mod and still had a blast with, and the secret to that was that it was competently written and designed.

The core story was the exact reason I hated DA:I, I had no idea who Coryphosexumoslllllll was. I had played DA:O and DA2 but I could never remember ever seeing him before and in DA:I he was suddenly thrust in as this big bad guy I knew and should hate, but I knew jackshit about him. Turns out later I was supposed to have had played the DA2 DLC in order to know who he was, problem being I disliked DA2 so much I never got around to them. And that is what I call absolutely shitty storytelling. You can't make the main story in the next game based on a DLC most people likely never played. Then apparently Corhpusmaximus was NOT the main antagonist as I was told on this board, it was some other guy and NOW I am supposed to play ANOTHER DLC to get that persons story as well! I think you can guess from here how quickly I've lost interest now in any Dragon Age sequel.

And I disagree heavily with the sentiment about The Witcher 3. I do love The Witcher 2 as well and think they did it excellent. But I think The Witcher 3 held the same quality as well and even made so many things better. The main story was a bit of a letdown, the antagonist not being as amazing, it still held up well in the long run. What the game however excelled in was then stories like the Bloody Baron, the various side-quests around the land that had plot-twists, interesting characters and more. And I personally loved that your actions could have consequences, many down the line by hours so you wouldn't know what you had done until it was too late to go back. Consequences are great, and in a world of many moral grey areas, it shouldn't be easy to know which option to pick to make the "right" one, you just have to go by your own feelings and see what you caused. Not like Bioware games where they just helpfully mark "this is the good guy answer, this is the jerkwad answer."

I consider The Witcher 3 the high bar in big budget RPGs, open world RPGs and just RPGs in general. Many of their characters are imprinted heavily into my skull by how great they were. Olgierd Von Everec, Phillip Strenger, Gaunter O'Dimm (holy shit, this is the most genius fucking antagonist ever created in a videogame) and many more. I think you should play The Witcher 3 again and indulge yourself in their expansions, that unlike Bioware, are all self-standing stories (and are bloody excellent).

I will try any game creatively led at least in part by one of the following people:

Hideo Kojima
Tetsuya Nomura
Shinji Mikami
Hidetaka Miyazaki

EDIT: Actually, add Kazuma Kaneko, Shigenori Soejima, and Cozy Okada.

lumzi23

Personally I think Bethesda games has their popularity due to being "sandbox" games. They put you in a world, say "You can do anything!" (not true) and then you're free to go in any direction and hack skeletons. The problem I have is that what there is to do is so shallow in terms of quality. Their quests are boring. They never challenge people intellectually or skill wise. Look at Skyrim for example, they have "puzzles" for example in dungeons, but 95% of those puzzles are some bloody "match-the-symbols" puzzle a toddler could do. And they repeat it ad-nauseam. That being said, I will confess I have roughly 400 hours of Skyrim playtime, but I can say that 380 at least of those hours is spent modding the crap out of the game, and playing Enderal instead of Skyrim. And that's for me what most Bethesda games come down to, they are fun to mod, but never to play on their own. Fallout: New Vegas was the one game I didn't mod and still had a blast with, and the secret to that was that it was competently written and designed.

The core story was the exact reason I hated DA:I, I had no idea who Coryphosexumoslllllll was. I had played DA:O and DA2 but I could never remember ever seeing him before and in DA:I he was suddenly thrust in as this big bad guy I knew and should hate, but I knew jackshit about him. Turns out later I was supposed to have had played the DA2 DLC in order to know who he was, problem being I disliked DA2 so much I never got around to them. And that is what I call absolutely shitty storytelling. You can't make the main story in the next game based on a DLC most people likely never played. Then apparently Corhpusmaximus was NOT the main antagonist as I was told on this board, it was some other guy and NOW I am supposed to play ANOTHER DLC to get that persons story as well! I think you can guess from here how quickly I've lost interest now in any Dragon Age sequel.

And I disagree heavily with the sentiment about The Witcher 3. I do love The Witcher 2 as well and think they did it excellent. But I think The Witcher 3 held the same quality as well and even made so many things better. The main story was a bit of a letdown, the antagonist not being as amazing, it still held up well in the long run. What the game however excelled in was then stories like the Bloody Baron, the various side-quests around the land that had plot-twists, interesting characters and more. And I personally loved that your actions could have consequences, many down the line by hours so you wouldn't know what you had done until it was too late to go back. Consequences are great, and in a world of many moral grey areas, it shouldn't be easy to know which option to pick to make the "right" one, you just have to go by your own feelings and see what you caused. Not like Bioware games where they just helpfully mark "this is the good guy answer, this is the jerkwad answer."

I consider The Witcher 3 the high bar in big budget RPGs, open world RPGs and just RPGs in general. Many of their characters are imprinted heavily into my skull by how great they were. Olgierd Von Everec, Phillip Strenger, Gaunter O'Dimm (holy shit, this is the most genius fucking antagonist ever created in a videogame) and many more. I think you should play The Witcher 3 again and indulge yourself in their expansions, that unlike Bioware, are all self-standing stories (and are bloody excellent).

Regarding, The Witcher 3, I dunno. There's something I don't like about the characters in particular. If I were compare the characters that appeared in both the Witcher 2 and 3, the Witcher 2 versions would almost always come out on top. The exception IMO, is Dandelion who also feels like a different version of himself. The only Witcher 3 characters I really like in the Vanilla game are Cerys, Lambert and Eskel. They feel, sound and look like Witcher 2 characters without actually being ones.

Regarding the expansions I have only just started Hearts of Stone. I am at
the von Everec crypt.
I also have blood and wine.

Exentryk

Tier A: (Day 1 no questions asked)
CD Projekt Red
Level 5 (Ni no Kuni)
Square Enix (NieR, Bravely, DQ, KH team)

Tier B: (Will usually buy, but may or may not be day 1)
Tokyo RPG Factory
Monolith Soft

Tier C: (Need to be convinced)
Everything else

Corypheus is largely an unknown in DAI, so whether you played the DA2 DLC or not is irrelevant. Your DAI character and 99% of the world would not know who he is.

It's not like he shows up and everyone is like "Oh no! It's our old foe Corypheus again!"

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Don't think Larian is 'tier c' by any stretch. Their dedication and transparency to RPG development is top-notch.

I'm just hoping that they move on from the Divinity world and onto something different now. Maybe sci-fi or something Fallout-ish. Of course then they're stepping on Fargo's toes with Wasteland 3 and might get overshadowed by Cyberpunk. Okay bad idea.

lumzi23

Regarding, The Witcher 3, I dunno. There's something I don't like about the characters in particular. If I were compare the characters that appeared in both the Witcher 2 and 3, the Witcher 2 versions would almost always come out on top. The exception IMO, is Dandelion who also feels like a different version of himself. The only Witcher 3 characters I really like in the Vanilla game are Cerys, Lambert and Eskel. They feel, sound and look like Witcher 2 characters without actually being ones.

the von Everec crypt.
I also have blood and wine.

Regarding Dragon Age Inquisition, I am unfamiliar with the Dragon age lore in general (never finished Origins) so none of differences stuck out. Still I think the story is enjoyable in general and the character interactions are great.

I keep hearing about great New Vegas is, maybe I will give it a go (only played a little).

Corypheus is largely an unknown in DAI, so whether you played the DA2 DLC or not is irrelevant. Your DAI character and 99% of the world would not know who he is.

It's not like he shows up and everyone is like "Oh no! It's our old foe Corypheus again!"

Good point.

kionedrik

I don't base my purchasing habits on "who" makes the game but on "how" the game is. That being said the teams I trust the most to make RPGs I'd like to play are:

Tier 1:
- CDPR
- Obsidian
- Larian
- Supergiant

Tier 2:
- inXile
- From
- Harebrained Schemes

Shit Tier:
- Bethesda (killed Elder Scrolls and Fallout)
- Bioware (I wan't RPGs not action games with small RPG elements)
- Just about every japanese developer that repeat ad-nauseum the same anime tropes, characters and storylines. I'm sure there's good stuff out there but I grew tired of looking for it and just dismiss it entirely immediately.

Staf

the von Everec crypt.
I also have blood and wine

Ohhh, you are about to get to my favorite part of that DLC!

Audioboxer

Piranha Bytes.

God-tier Euro Jank.

CDPR probably. TW3 and the DLC is the best Western RPG in a looooong time. Bethesda and Bioware are wait and see now.

In Japan, From Software. Square are a mixed bag, as are all the other devs.

Keasar

But even on his own he wasn't good. All I knew about him why he was the bad guy was that he looked like he had been in a accident in a hard candy factory and was pissed off for looking like the child of a pervert and a bag of poprocks.

He had this interesting line of "I've seen the throne of Gods and it was empty" or something. Which was due to him having been one of the first who the....uhm....shit I've forgotten the name of them but the plague zombie thingies. In the DA lore that was supposed to be quite a game changer but nothing ever came out of it.

He was incredibly unsatisfying as a villain. :/

Unai

Tier A:
- Obsidian
- Bethesda
- CDProjectRed
- Larian
- FROM
- Beamdog

Tier B:
- Capcom

Tier C:
- Bioware
- Nippon Ichi Software
- Falcom
- Square Enix
- Monolith Soft
- Atlus
- Intelligent Systems
- Level 5
- Tri-Ace
- Tales Studio

Tier D: Devs in this tier would need an act of God for me to buy another RPG made by them.
- Game Freak (I've never liked Pokemon that much)

Uh, it seems that I'm not really a fan os most japanese devs.

There's no developer that that I'd instantly buy everything from, no questions asked, since even my favourites can produce games that don't appeal to me for one reason or another. That said:

Day 1:
- Compile Heart/Idea Factory
- Gust
- Vanillaware
- Experience Inc

Day X:
- Nippon Ichi
- Atlus
- Tales Studio
- tri-Ace maybe

DayZ:
- Everything else