• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is trying to pull one over on fans by naming a C tier studio "Bioware Montreal".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

No sources, arbitrary "tier" rankings, no logical connection between renaming a random studio and Mass Effect...

Yeah, I'm gonna call this salty conspiracy theory bullshit.
Reminds me of someone
SeanSpicer.jpg

Have you not seen the footage shown for the game? the faces, the animations, the Asari holding the gun backwards?

I've played the game for 3 hours and seen a mix of average and bad faces. But I've seen nothing to indicate this was somehow "baby's first gamedev project" masked over as faux-AAA

TheMan

Interesting theory, but ultimately we should reserve judgement until the full game is out, and reviews/impressions are in.

That said I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

Ever since Gamergate I can't take this gamer conspiracy nonsense seriously anymore. At best it's an insult to the hard work of people who put years of their life into game development, even if the results aren't the best.
And regardless of how much time was spent on the creation of something, be it a video game, movie, etc... unless it's released for free or something, consumers are still paying for that product, and I think we absolutely have the right to judge it.

Not gonna give the devs pity points for throwing something together in the allotted time. This wasn't some class project.

Otnopolit

I think the criticisms are valid, but I also agree that it's not very fair to to pull out the pitchforks towards individuals who worked on the game by framing their studio in some kind of arbitrary grading system. Impressions are important, but can never replace actually playing it for yourself, and I think if you're interested in the game but cautious over the animation and story aspects, Red Box it or wait for the actual** reviews.

This got me thinking about a funny what if where a movie studio forces a director to legally change his name to "Steven speilbarg" because he's doing ET2. LOL

Interesting theory, but ultimately we should reserve judgement until the full game is out, and reviews/impressions are in.

That said I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

I already said that the "EA Montreal is Bioware montreal" is false. So, only the "game is bad part" is still a theory at that point.

Moppeh

Banned
Rocksteady went from making Urban Chaos to Arkham Asylum in 3 years. As I stated above, everyone has to start somewhere. Also, can we take a few minutes to confirm if this is true instead of running off with a conspiracy theory.

That's a better comparison. But even then, not all developers are created equal.

I do agree with you on this. Even if I think ME:A looks fucking terrible, I really don't want really wanna back an OP full of accusations with zero citations (especially when he doesn't even bother to spell "Edmonton" right). I just wanted to point out that Guerrilla wasn't a great example.

I thought the studio who made the trilogy were working on Andromeda? And what's with all the negativity with this game? I've seen some weird animations and stuff but people seem to be incredibly negative about the game.

I'll be playing the game today so I'll see what it's like, I'm really looking forward to playing it as the Mass Effect series is one of my all time favourites.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone getting flashbacks of "B-Team" forum arguments during Dark Souls 2?

Every Studio has a B-team. From Software, Platinum, Rockstar, even Nintendo.

Some are better at hiding it than others because they are smarter about how they handle them.

Kilau

These guys made some of the DLC packs for ME3, that's it. That's why it looks so much worse than even Inquisition which came out in 2014.

Well I can set my expectations for that. I'm not going to start another game before P5 comes out anyway but I love ME so I'll pick it up sometime later.

Some of you folks need to find something better to do. How far you go to shit on a game that you won't play or purchase just shows you clearly need something meaningful to do. It's pathetic at this point.

Game plays great, flaws and all (faces are hilariously bad). Don't like what you see? Don't buy it.

"ANDROMEDA SUX WAH WAH"

Holy fuck people, I may have to avoid this forum for a few weeks.

Might be able to say that if you've completed the game but dismissing it after the intro? Come on. I've played through the trial btw, yes it has issues but every game does, especially the original 3 ME. (Maybe not the new Zelda, it's pretty damn good).

My point is I don't see enough issues with what everyone else has been seeing (the Trial) to warrant this shit storm. But this is the internet and people will tell me I'm an idiot and I'm wrong ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Pooya

Doesn't matter where it is made but by whom, I'm not sure if we fully know that without looking at the credits which should be out there right now, is it in the trial? I don't know. Something obviously went wrong with the game but I'm not sure it's because of "amateurs". Still, animations are rough, writing is bad but rest of the game doesn't seem amateurish to me. Collectively dismissing everyone there is unfair.

We know some of the ME leads at least were involved in this, Casey Hudson was working on this and their new IP before he left. It's not like some college graduates were freshly hired to make a Mass Effect from scratch, I don't think so. Montreal is quite a power house of video game talents too, there are so many top tier studios over there with talent moving around all the time. Only amateur ones are hired by EA I guess?...

kiguel182

The fact that people only care about brands and not creators allows this.

Most people won't look at who is making the game. They just see "Mass Effect" and assume it's the same as 1 or 2 because it is called that.

We should give more credit to individuals and teams instead of just brand names or even studio names. I mean, it's the same thing with Infinity Ward these days for example.

Mendrox

All this over character models and animations. This is pathetic.

And the absolutely shit writing? This is not the new Mass Effect that I wanted and would have liked to have. It's a shit show except for the few cool new gameplay additions. Everything else is a disgrace for the IP and I blame EA for that.

I thought the studio who made the trilogy were working on Andromeda? And what's with all the negativity with this game? I've seen some weird animations and stuff but people seem to be incredibly negative about the game.

I'll be playing the game today so I'll see what it's like, I'm really looking forward to playing it as The Mass Effect series is one of my all time favourites.
People are negative about the game because they've played it for at most 10 hours and disliked what they experienced.

I didn't like the writing or visuals. I was forced to use the default female character because all the other female customization resulted in more of a potato than the default female character. Animations are garbage, but that's standard for BioWare games at this point. The gameplay's awful, and a step back from previous games in the series.

ME1's still the best game in the series in my opinion, and that's pretty sad.

"ANDROMEDA SUX WAH WAH"

Holy fuck people, I may have to avoid this forum for a few weeks.

Might be able to say that if you've completed the game but dismissing it after the intro? Come on. I've played through the trial btw, yes it has issues but every game does, especially the original 3 ME. (Maybe not the new Zelda, it's pretty damn good).

My point is I don't see enough issues with what everyone else has been seeing (the Trial) to warrant this shit storm. But this is the internet and people will tell me I'm an idiot and I'm wrong ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Why do you keep coming into threads regarding the game then? Avoid these threads if you're just gonna bitch about them.

Once again, it shouldn't take anywhere near 10 hours of playing a game for it to get good. Well before 10 hours in, you know whether or not you like the game. "Just wait until you get to hour 50, that's when it starts to get good." smh

Also, that's great that you like the game, but why are the people who don't like it wrong?

stuminus3

And regardless of how much time was spent on the creation of something, be it a video game, movie, etc... unless it's released for free or something, consumers are still paying for that product, and I think we absolutely have the right to judge it.

Not gonna give the devs pity points for throwing something together in the allotted time. This wasn't some class project.
"This game looks bad, I think I'll skip it". That's all you need. Everything else is the reason the gaming industry is over 4 decades old and people still think they're for kids.

I've played the game for 3 hours and seen a mix of average and bad faces. But I've seen nothing to indicate this was somehow "baby's first gamedev project" masked over as faux-AAA

But didn't you see those pictures where the guy from 4chan took the main character and slimmed her face in Photoshop in an hour. That totally shows that these guys are amatuers if it could be changed in an hour. /S

openrob

Why is this a big deal? Well, EA Montreal was given the Bioware title so EA could cash in on a new Mass Effect and casual fans would not be the wiser.

I don't think casual players give a fuck about the developer.

If a casual player likes ME, i don't think slapping any logo on will make them accidentally pick up boogie superstar. It will be the ME logo that will make them pick it up.

Ralemont

not me
This feels like a thread that should be made a few months after Andromeda is out when everyone has had time to let the experience marinate a bit.

Also, afaik BMontreal isn't EAMontreal.

Also, I don't but the argument that bad animations in a WRPG suddenly matter a lot more because Witcher 3 did it well. I recently replayed the two KOTOR games, infamous for bad animations, and they were still excellent.

IvorB

Bioware has been a corporate zombie controlled by EA for a while now. There hasn't been any meaning to the name in a very long time so nothing too surprising.

Venfayth

There are positive impressions as well as the negative ones if you get past the (again, admittedly awful) character animations. Here's just a couple posts from the early access thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232241613&postcount=2522
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232242981&postcount=2535
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232243571&postcount=2540

Obviously the popular thing is to be bashing it, but insulting the team who worked on it and accusing them of swindling people is a bit of a bad look.

Aselith

A/B/C Tier studios are a deflection tactic fanboys come up with to defend company missteps.

Andromeda is Bioware's fault, period. The Montreal studio didn't go rogue, they were working under Bioware's leadership and guidance and this is what that leadership created.

Not in this case since EA started slapping the Bioware name on every studio to profit from their popularity. Bioware Mythic, Bioware Victory, Bioware Blarg

eot

Banned
Rocksteady went from making Urban Chaos to Arkham Asylum in 3 years. As I stated above, everyone has to start somewhere. Also, can we take a few minutes to confirm if this is true instead of running off with a conspiracy theory.

?

Urban Chaos came out in 1999

Moppeh

Banned
The fact that people only care about brands and not creators allows this.

Most people won't look at who is making the game. They just see "Mass Effect" and assume it's the same as 1 or 2 because it is called that.

We should give more credit to individuals and teams instead of just brand names or even studio names. I mean, it's the same thing with Infinity Ward these days for example.

Yeah, gaming really needs to have an "auteur theory" equivalent. Certain creative directors and indie developers are sort of treated that way, but most studios don't seem to prop up figureheads or, if they do, most people don't really notice.

?

Urban Chaos came out in 1999

Riot Response came out in '06.

EA has a habit of naming studios "Bioware" even when they have nothing to do with Bioware - look at Bioware Victory, who developed the now-cancelled C&C game, or Bioware Mythic

Mythic was my go to for this. when me2 was such a big deal EA decided everything is bioware now because it'll let us get away with bullshit, then ME3 I guess made them cancel or scale back a lot of that

Bioware San Fransisco, who made some phone games, and Waystone (dawngate devs) were also under the bioware tree

Patryn

These guys made some of the DLC packs for ME3, that's it. That's why it looks so much worse than even Inquisition which came out in 2014.

They made Arrival for ME2, Omega for ME3 and worked heavily (lead, I believe?) on the MP portion of ME3.

"This game looks bad, I think I'll skip it". That's all you need. Everything else is the reason the gaming industry is over 4 decades old and people still think they're for kids.
Oh boy, more hyperbole about how immature gamers are.

Criticism is absolutely not something exclusive to the video game industry.

How insulting.

Just because a studio was given low budget work in the past doesn't mean they are bad game developers.
Nah, you're right. The fact that they made possibly the worst Mass Effect game in the series does though.

What happened to make everyone hate this game so much all of a sudden? Some bad previews? Wonky animation? (It's a BIoware game.) I just don't get it.

Mass Effect 3 happened. These children saw what a great impact they could have by sending death threats to Bioware developers and constantly shitting on their work, and in empowered them to go full boar on the team this time before the game is even released. I highly doubt any developer out there will ever want to work on a Mass Effect game again after all the hateful scorn they see Mass Effect dev's receiving online.

It's probably my favorite video game series, but I'd rather see them retire the whole thing after this game than for any of the developers to have to take the kind of online harassment that they have received in the last 5 years. Pretty much a "this is why we can't have nice things",.

No, and the negativity is coming from the fact that the game performs worse technically than 3 year old efforts from the same developer, while also lacking in the narrative and character departments.
Come on I'll give you the narrative and even performing worse than DAI but the characters are absolutely fine from what little we've seen and heard of them.
Vetra makes a great first impression and Drack and Peebee literally only have 1 cutscene in the trial. Liam has a great initial backstory, so far I'm only iffy on Cora and you don't even meet Jaal.

There's criticism that is completely valid. Faces and animations can truly look like shit and the narrative starts of slow with superficial stakes but Andromeda is still a competently made game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom