• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Says: No More Major Events For ‘At Least’ 18 Months After Secret Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

MARVEL Says: No More Major Events For ‘At Least’ 18 Months After SECRET EMPIRE

"Hopefully, you guys will be happy to know that at the end of Secret Empire, we do not have any big crossover event scheduled," Gabriel said during the retailer presentation. "We haven't even talked about one for 18 months, at the very least. Those will be away for quite a while."

From context, it seems Gabriel is referring to universe-wide events such as Secret Empire, Civil War II, and Secret Wars. According to the transcript, Gabriel clarified that smaller crossovers would still happen - and could likely be referred to as "events" - in the absence of better terms for marketing.

"If you have another idea for what we should call those stories, please help us," Gabriel said to retailers. Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso chimed in, agreeing that other terms for short run comic books like "maxi-series" have been shown to negatively impact Marvel's sales in the current market.

The recent Clone Conspiracy and projects like the upcoming "Weapons of Mutant Destruction" have been referred to as 'events' by Marvel, but have been much smaller in scope than Secret Empire, Civil War II, and Secret Wars.

Given Secret Empire is scheduled to end in August 2017, an 18 month hiatus from "any big crossover event" would last until early 2019. In the past four years, these major Marvel events have occured four to five months apart from one another - some, such as Axis and Original Sin, were one month apart.

guek

Banned
Thank goodness. Maybe we can get some good character driven stories now that aren't beholden to a mediocre crossover event.

SRG01

Oh thank you. They need more focused and planned out events like Secret Wars and not... Pleasantville.

When you gotta do damage control before your event even starts...

Well, we already know some of the pieces already:
Hydra leadership reforming, Superior Octopus with Hydra, what else?

gforguava

Imagine being able to sit down and read 12 issues of a monthly comic without it being interrupted, it is sad how outside of the norm that is for Marvel these days.

Mudcrab

They should have put events on hiatus after Secret Wars instead of making people suffer through Civil War II.

Imagine being able to sit down and read 12 issues of a monthly comic without it being interrupted, it is sad how outside of the norm that is for Marvel these days.

It used to be like this outside of X-Books, all the time. Like the only interruption I can even remember while reading The Hulk in the early 90s was the Infinity Gauntlet stuff. I actively miss those days.

They're going to have an X-Men or Spider-Man event or both and say "We meant no LINE WIDE events guys!"

also 100% this

Well, we already know some of the pieces already:
Hydra leadership reforming, Superior Octopus with Hydra, what else?

I wasn't referring to the actual quality of the event but to the general event fatigue that has been obvious for quite a while now. I don't read Cap but I've heard good things, I'm sure it'll probably be decent since Bendis isn't writing it.

Sandfox

I wasn't referring to the actual quality of the event but to the general event fatigue that has been obvious for quite a while now. I don't read Cap but I've heard good things, I'm sure it'll probably be decent since Bendis isn't writing it.
Early impressions for Secret Empire are that it's good and the writing eclipses CW2.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
it's crazy how far i've fallen on Marvel since the end of Secret Wars

i'm still not ready to come back. might be a while.

From context, it seems Gabriel is referring to universe-wide events such as Secret Empire, Civil War II, and Secret Wars. According to the transcript, Gabriel clarified that smaller crossovers would still happen - and could likely be referred to as "events" - in the absence of better terms for marketing.

They used to be referred to as "crossovers." Apparently they still are. Maybe you could use that. Hmm!

KingV

I'm in the middle of civil wars 2 on unlimited. It's amazing how many tie ins there are. I feel like it touches every book except for squirrel girl and Moon Girl, many for multiple issues.

And the issues are not very good because everyone has to spend at least one page rehashing the current status of the event. They add nothing to the event, and there aren't really any good stories to tell within the event.

In this sense I think even Axis was more interesting. At least exploring the idea of evil Tony stark or evil Luke Cage has some merit as a stand alone story.

They should have put events on hiatus after Secret Wars instead of making people suffer through Civil War II.

At least Civil War II had an interesting premises if Flawed execution. Inhumans vs X-Men was pure nonsense-garbage. And they Unceremoniously killed off Cyclops off panel.

The Kree

Banned
I expect Secret Empire to be good because both of Spencer's Cap books have been really good and Standoff was great. I wish Spencer had been the one to write Civil War II.

Number_6

Fucking finally! Can I get some books now that don't get sucked into a huge event vortex, ruined, cancelled, and relaunched?? Huh? Marvel?

Early impressions for Secret Empire are that it's good and the writing eclipses CW2.

How hard is that, though?

Yeah, I'm not surprised. It'll still be a pass for me since I already follow more books than I can keep track of but hopefully it'll put Marvel back on the right path.

Edit: now that I think about it, the constant relauches and renumberings are just as off-putting to me as the events. I really hope they'll calm down on that front too.

kswiston

it's crazy how far i've fallen on Marvel since the end of Secret Wars

i'm still not ready to come back. might be a while.

Secret Wars was my big Marvel swan song after about 10 years of unbroken reading. The events do start to burn you out. Even if you don't read them, most of your favourite titles get disrupted via tie-ins, cancellations, or relaunches.

Thank fuck. Win me back Marvel.

I don't hate events. But they really got out of hand. They should really avoid line-wide crossover events for the foreseeable future. At best, give us something with proper build up like Secret Wars every few years.

Secret Empire really should have been the first ANAD event. Everything before now has felt so forced.

I think there should be one line-wide event every 18 months to 2 years

Creative teams don't stay on books forever and both Marvel and DC seem more interested in having smaller volume collections for series to make it easier for readers to get in to rather than a series that runs for 50+ issues with a new volume relaunch (outside of some staples like Detective Comics and Action Comics)

So I don't understand the immense fuss over events. Events are going to happen. You aren't going to have an uninterrupted series for 18+ months. That series is going to have creative team switch-ups, perhaps a brand new #1 signifying a new volume of the series, and yes, an event somewhere it gets tied to.

Dalek

I don't hate events. But they really got out of hand. They should really avoid line-wide crossover events for the foreseeable future. At best, give us something with proper build up like Secret Wars every few years.

Secret Empire really should have been the first ANAD event. Everything before now has felt so forced.

I was about to say Standoff set the stage for Secret Empire-but Standoff was one of those "smaller" crossovers.

Sandfox

Fucking finally? Can I get some books now that don't get sucked into a huge event vortex, ruined, cancelled, and relaunched?? Huh? Marvel?

How hard is that, though?
They are much worse written events out there than CW2.

I agree, but at the same time it would be hard imagining Secret Empire being setup the way it is without the fallout to CW2 now that I think about.

That's great. I've slowed down reading a lot because the constant announcement of events. Secret Empire was the only one that interested me and j can't wait for you tbh.

kswiston

I think there should be one line-wide event every 18 months to 2 years

Creative teams don't stay on books forever and both Marvel and DC seem more interested in having smaller volume collections for series to make it easier for readers to get in to

So I don't understand the immense fuss over events. Events are going to happen. You aren't going to have an interrupted series for 18+ months. That series is going to have creative team switch-ups, perhaps a brand new #1 signifying a new volume of the series, and yes, an event somewhere it gets tied to.

12-18 month creator runs are part of the problem with the past decade of Marvel comics. Paired with decompressed story arcs, a lot of those runs barely hit their stride before something else comes along. If Manga readers have no problem having long runs broken down into volumes, I don't see the argument as to why comic readers need a new jumping on point two times every 3 years.

If you look at lists of people's favorite modern runs, most are on the longer side. Occasionally we get someone who can do something substantial with 6-12 issues (Warren Ellis for example), but most writers do better with more time.

Don't even get me started with the artist musical chairs.

jurgen

"We haven't even talked about one for 18 months, at the very least. Those will be away for quite a while."

"We haven't talked about one for 18 months" is different from "no events for 18 months."

I give them until November.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd guess that for most regular fans who just want to read a good storyline, those events are exactly what make you stay away, at least that's the case for me. I'm sure there have been good ones, and after loving Hickman's FF run I'd like to check out his (New) Avengers stuff at some point, but most are hard to follow and seem to cater only to the hardcore fans. But if you want to discover something new, most of us don't feel like following a tie-in flowchart. All of the great Marvel runs I've read have been standalone and I don't feel like a jungle of tie-ins is ever needed to tell a good story.

I stopped following Marvel altogether actually because of the focus on events. I'll have to look for some recent series that don't tie into anything, like Superior Foes did a while back (great book!). But for now everything I follow and buy is on Image.

12-18 month creator runs are part of the problem with the past decade of Marvel comics. Paired with decompressed story arcs, a lot of those runs barely hit their stride before something else comes along. If Manga readers have no problem having long runs broken down into volumes, I don't see the argument as to why comic readers need a new jumping on point two times every 3 years.

If you look at lists of people's favorite modern runs, most are on the longer side. Occasionally we get someone who can do something substantial with 6-12 issues (Warren Ellis for example), but most writers do better with more time.

I'm with you. I like long runs. But I hear people complain about events more than I hear people complain about short creative runs so I just developed the impression that superhero comic fans were okay with the short creative runs. IMO they are a bigger problem than events.

Sandfox

Personally I like shorter runs because they are easier to collect and recommend. Longer stories can easily start to run out of steam.

Sou Da

How many modern runs retain artists for the entire length?

The Kree

Banned
I'm with you. I like long runs. But I hear people complain about events more than I hear people complain about short creative runs so I just developed the impression that superhero comic fans were okay with the short creative runs. IMO they are a bigger problem than events.

The numbering is annoying more than anything else. They seem to think starting with a lineup of new number ones every year will get new readers to jump in. Maybe that does work, but then they undermine whatever progress they make with the line-wide crossovers.

kswiston

How many modern runs retain artists for the entire length?

Hardly any at Marvel if we are talking about runs over 18 issues.

Personally I like shorter runs because they are easier to collect and recommend. Longer stories can easily start to run out of steam.

There isn't really the stability needed for longer arcs. A lot of writers seem to pitch a book with a killer first year/story, because they can sell an editor on that. When that proves popular and they continue with the book, we get a slump. Or some event causes the book to detour.

KingV

One thing I like about long runs is that the characterization and supporting cast tend to stay more consistent.

Even though I don't agree with all of Dan slotts decisions on Spider Man, I've mostly enjoyed his run because it has sense of continuity and consistency to it over time. One problem with the short run is that characters can seem to lack a defining theme or personality over time because every 12 months is a new "take" on the character.

Edit: As for numbering, I would like to see some books go back to the pre-Marvel now numbering, particularly ones like Amazing that have really long runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom