• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo taking Steam approach to digital on Switch, says SteamWorld Dig dev

Cerium

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nint...to-digital-on-switch-says-steamworld-dig-dev/

“With the Wii U and 3DS, [Nintendo] started to realise that they had to get with the times,” said Image & Form’s community manager Julius Guldbog.

“Publishing for Nintendo consoles has been, in the past, not a nightmare, but pretty close. They make sure every QA gate is good enough. It takes months, and you have to do that for every region, and if you fail, it takes even longer. You have to get a new slot, and release dates are pushed back.

“But with the Switch, we only have to make one version and only have one launch – and that’s one version for the entire world,
so we’ll have the same version in the US, Europe and a little bit later, Japan and China as well. That saves so much work. It means we can do the translations ourselves, we don’t have to have a new publisher for one specific region - it’s going to be so much easier. They’re basically taking the Steam or App Store approach: one version of the game for the entire world.”

He also spoke about how Nintendo’s now playing a much more active role in recruiting third-party support: “From what I’ve seen, just using Nintendo’s publishing tools to set up everything from sales to getting the name right on the eShop, everything like that, it’s much more streamlined and more modern. Even Nintendo’s approach to how they get new indies to join the Switch family – nowadays, they see a good game at a convention and they just walk straight up to them and ask them to develop for Switch. From what I know, they’ve never done that before, so I think they are getting with the times. They know more than anyone what they did wrong with the Wii U, and 3DS in some cases as well, and they really want to fix that.”

Guldbog was confident about the Switch’s ability to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One as well, both in terms of its development process and the quality of its titles.

“We’ve had no [development] problems at all,” he said. “It’s up there with the PS4 and Xbox One. PC will always be the easiest, of course, but [Switch] is up there with the big leagues, which is really good.

“Switch isn’t as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox One, but it’s pretty darn close. Just look at Snake Pass or Fast RMX. Snake Pass is extra interesting, because look at how good the graphics are compared to the PS4 version. I think if developers put their mind to it and optimise the game for the Switch, it can run anything.”

It would be nice to see some more evidence of this, especially from the bigger publishers. Good to hear though, as always.

Dystify

Pretty much in line with their region free / global approach this time around. It's a very good sign for indie games on Switch going forward.

KarmaCow

People are going to take that title the wrong way.

But it's good that Nintendo backed off region locking the system, it makes it easier for developers and people buying games.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm going to go ahead and assume he's talking about independent software rather than major big-budget games in that last paragraph.

I'm going to go ahead and assume he's talking about independent software rather than major big-budget games in that last paragraph.

I seriously doubt there is a game coming to PS4 or XB1 which flat out couldn't run on the Switch. Sure, you'd have to optimize and downgrade the game, but I don't think that would stop any publisher if they find it to be worth the investment. That being the big issue as of now I'd imagine (being worth the investment).

Crayon

I don't think so. The switches cpu and memory are up to snuff. And the GPU may be slower but is modern. I see no reason yet to believe the switch can't run any game a ps4 can in a lower resolution.

Atheerios

That doesn't have anything to do with the budget of the game, as there are very graphics intensive indie games like Snake Pass, which in the Digital Foundry analysis they revealed the game actually requires a serious amount of horsepower, but runs well on the Switch.

Deft Beck

Yes. Overall, the Switch continues the approach that NoA has been using since the Wii U; to court smaller studios who attract core players, at a fraction of the effort that it would take to get, say, Andromeda on the Switch.

I think this kind of approach is why companies such as Shi'nen and WayForward have stuck with Nintendo since the 2000s.

What I really wanna know is why does the eShop force a language on me based on my location? If I set my Switch to English I would prefer the eShop to be English as well, or at least give me a choice between one of the multiple local languages.

OMG someone dared to say that the Switch is close to ps4 and XboxOne power wise.

Retaliation is coming.

Yeah, happy to hear that, at least for indies, Switch is a good platform. I'm really enjoying graceful explosion machine at the moment!

So, there's no region-specific certification process? That's pretty interesting.

I'm pretty sure there's no region-specific certification on Xbox either. So now Sony is the only one still doing this outdated crap. It's so stupid to have separate PSN stores for NA and EU.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I would argue that the title is misleading if the actual point the developer is making is not one of the top, say, twenty things you might think upon reading the title.

Is the sentiment that "if you want to port something to Switch you probably can" really that controversial?

It's more of a situation whether it's worth the investment.
Remember how the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox if only devs optimised for it? How did that work out?
The PS3 was more powerful and there were titles that took advantage of it (Sony First party), but this isn't the same case.
That was technically more powerful but harder to develop for. Switch is easy to develop for but technically less powerful.

OMG someone dared to say that the Switch is close to ps4 and XboxOne power wise.

Retaliation is coming.

Yeah, happy to hear that, at least for indies, Switch is a good platform. I'm really enjoying graceful explosion machine at the moment!
I think they would know more than some forum rando with a sophomoric understanding of specs.

What is there to retaliate against? lol

What I really wanna know is why does the eShop force a language on me based on my location? If I set my Switch to English I would prefer the eShop to be English as well, or at least give me a choice between one of the multiple local languages.

I mean I can get the logic behind that decision. If you have your console in Spanish and configure your user to Japan to get into the Japanese eShop they would need to translate all games descriptions and publicity to Spanish, even those that didn't get localized.

It's a bit of interesting situation with the indie dev scene atm, on Switch. Apparently (according to Jonas Kaerlev) NoA are big on getting indies to the system, while NoJ are somewhat more reserved about the matter.

Still, regional access on the eshop is a definite step-up, and I imagine this is pretty useful for indies who know they have a scattered but global fanbase. Fans don't have to wait for a version that covers the primary language of their region, which can help the devs to be able to afford the translation to begin with.

gogogow

Is this the reason why I bought a game in the US eShop and showing it's purchased in a EU eShop and vice versa? I was pretty surprised the first time I saw that.

Buggy Loop

Retaliation is coming.

Honestly, there's so many examples on PC where low/medium or medium/high or high/ultra are barely noticable, except for some unknown drop in performances. Graphics are hitting a curve of diminishing returns in terms of eye candies vs power required. Chasing the 4k's tail will make this even more true for years to come.

Not to mention most peoples would barely tell the differences of settings if it were not for dedicated websites analysing it. I don't know how many times i used nvidia sliders to compare witcher settings and not seeing a damn difference for minutes.

Beautiful games now are mostly dependant on the studio behind it, the art and the investment. Barely any 3rd parties out there even surpassed TLOU on PS3.

LOLDSFAN

When I think of Steam, I think of buying a game and being able to play said game on whatever hardware I have a year or 10 years from now.

I seriously doubt there is a game coming to PS4 or XB1 which flat out couldn't run on the Switch. Sure, you'd have to optimize and downgrade the game, but I don't think that would stop any publisher if they find it to be worth the investment. That being the big issue as of now I'd imagine (being worth the investment).

I'd happily buy a Switch and double up on purchases of some games if they were cross save or something. Something like Destiny 2 for example would be awesome if I could play it on PC and then play my same characters on Switch when necessary.

But as it is, I personally wouldn't ever want to play the downgraded version of a game on Switch when I'm at home and have access to my tv to use my PS4 Pro or PC. Switch would really only be for the times I couldn't use my TV for whatever reason. And no, the Switch docked mode would not be a reasonable replacement for that to me.

So it's hard to imagine locking in my purchases to such a cut down version of those games for only that use case. That's personally my biggest drawback with the Switch, even if it did get ports of many AAA games (which who knows if it will).

FinalAres

That last line makes me hopeful for games like KH3 to be on Switch. I wouldn't hope for Ffxv or FFVII remake, but Kh would be good.

I think they would know more than some forum rando with a sophomoric understanding of specs.

What is there to retaliate against? lol

Honestly, there's so many examples on PC where low/medium or medium/high or high/ultra are barely noticable, except for some unknown drop in performances. Graphics are hitting a curve of diminishing returns in terms of eye candies vs power required. Chasing the 4k's tail will make this even more true for years to come.

Not to mention most peoples would barely tell the differences of settings if it were not for dedicated websites analysing it. I don't know how many times i used nvidia sliders to compare witcher settings and not seeing a damn difference for minutes.

Beautiful games now are mostly dependant on the studio behind it, the art and the investment. Barely any 3rd parties out there even surpassed TLOU on PS3.

Sorry I forgot the /s

You know how things turn out here when someone questions the power of the PS4 versus Switch, especially now Console warriors are waging their war in the Scorpio threads.

Again, I'm really glad that they chose to be so proactive with indie devs. A console with first party Nintendo games and most of indies is already awesome for me. Now some third party games are just the icing on the cake.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm happy to hear it's much, much easier for developers to get their games on the platform. And I really like the sound of Nintendo approaching them at conventions and asking them to bring their game to the Switch, haha, that's really cool. I'm liking everything I hear!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nint...to-digital-on-switch-says-steamworld-dig-dev/

“Switch isn’t as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox One, but it’s pretty darn close. Just look at Snake Pass or Fast RMX. Snake Pass is extra interesting, because look at how good the graphics are compared to the PS4 version. I think if developers put their mind to it and optimise the game for the Switch, it can run anything.”

If GTA V comes to the Switch, I'll buy that shit for the 4th time to be able to play it on the go.

Bamboo 竹;233550223 said:
I mean I can get the logic behind that decision. If you have your console in Spanish and configure your user to Japan to get into the Japanese eShop they would need to translate all games descriptions and publicity to Spanish, even those that didn't get localized.

That's true. The thing is, if I set my Switch to a local language, the eShop chooses that language. If I set my Switch to English it defaults to a language that's not my choice without an option to change it. It definitely needs at least a choice between local languages, I'm not sure how many countries have this issue but I certainly find it annoying.

antibolo

Banned
This "one version for the entire world" thing is pretty consistent with what we've seen so far. Right now you can go on the Japanese eShop and buy any game that's been localized, and you'll get the exact same game as in the west, not just a Japanese-specific version that only supports Japanese. And that game will even show up as already purchased if you browse another eShop on the same console.

It's a refreshing change from the traditional console model where language options are artificially limited to which region you buy the game from.

What remains to be seen though, is when you buy a Japanese-only game and it gets localized later, will the localization be patched in the original Japanese version? Puyo Puyo Tetris will be a good study of this, right now it's Japanese only but the localization is coming at the end of this month. Will Nintendo enforce the "one version for the entire world" policy on games that get localized later as well??

I saw this in action at Pax East

Even Nintendo’s approach to how they get new indies to join the Switch family – nowadays, they see a good game at a convention and they just walk straight up to them and ask them to develop for Switch.

Damon Baker was walking around and chatting up indie devs - I think he was trying to get the fighting game Fantasy Strike (Ex STreet Fighter Dev I think)

Then he was over at a few others at the Mega Booth, so they are actively recruiting.

deleted

I would argue that the title is misleading if the actual point the developer is making is not one of the top, say, twenty things you might think upon reading the title.

Yep, this is in no way what I thought about when I wanted to compare a platform to steam.

kinggroin

Banned

Same.

You aren't going to perform miracles and suddenly get high end PS4 AAA games running the same on Switch. Or at all.

Case by case.

Better than Vita vs PS3, but probably not THAT much better.

I know the Switch is Iwata's baby, but I wonder if Tatsumi Kimishima is largely responsible for the change in culture and even ideology that is seemingly happening at Nintendo.

That would explain why I can change the language of the system, and have a new language / voice acting for the games on my Switch.

I was able to play Zelda in spanish that easily.

Glix

While it may not be "big budget", as mentioned in the article Snake Pass pushed OG PS4 HARD, and still runs pretty close to parity on Switch.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Nintendo is taking a very Steam-like approach by offering games that are delivered through the internet.

Majmun

Don't know why that last line is so special.

Rockstar could release a working version of GTAV for the Vita if they wanted to.

Rodin

Man cheesemeister must be so happy about this.

That would explain why I can change the language of the system, and have a new language / voice acting for the games on my Switch.

I was able to play Zelda in spanish that easily.

Actually, the next step would be to just allow to switch languages from the option menu (with two separate options for voices and subtitles).

Well there's nothing particularly bad in being wrong.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This "one version for the entire world" thing is pretty consistent with what we've seen so far. Right now you can go on the Japanese eShop and buy any game that's been localized, and you'll get the exact same game as in the west, not just a Japanese-specific version that only supports Japanese. And that game will even show up as already purchased if you browse another eShop on the same console.

It's a refreshing change from the traditional console model where language options are artificially limited to which region you buy the game from.

I've never tried this. Do I need to create a Japanese account or can I just switch regions? I'd like to download the Dragon Quest Heroes demo.

Top Bottom