• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. officials say Putin-linked think tank wrote plan to swing 2016 U.S. election

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-election-exclusive-idUSKBN17L2N3

Exclusive: Putin-linked think tank drew up plan to sway 2016 U.S. election - documents

A Russian government think tank controlled by Vladimir Putin developed a plan to swing the 2016 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump and undermine voters' faith in the American electoral system, three current and four former U.S. officials told Reuters.

They described two confidential documents from the think tank as providing the framework and rationale for what U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded was an intensive effort by Russia to interfere with the Nov. 8 election. U.S. intelligence officials acquired the documents, which were prepared by the Moscow-based Russian Institute for Strategic Studies [en.riss.ru/], after the election.

The institute is run by retired senior Russian foreign intelligence officials appointed by Putin's office.

The first Russian institute document was a strategy paper written last June that circulated at the highest levels of the Russian government but was not addressed to any specific individuals.

It recommended the Kremlin launch a propaganda campaign on social media and Russian state-backed global news outlets to encourage U.S. voters to elect a president who would take a softer line toward Russia than the administration of then-President Barack Obama, the seven officials said.

A second institute document, drafted in October and distributed in the same way, warned that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was likely to win the election. For that reason, it argued, it was better for Russia to end its pro-Trump propaganda and instead intensify its messaging about voter fraud to undermine the U.S. electoral system's legitimacy and damage Clinton's reputation in an effort to undermine her presidency, the seven officials said.

latest

cameron

uh... Didn't we already know this?

Previously unconfirmed, initially revealed in the dossier.

They described two confidential documents from the think tank as providing the framework and rationale for what U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded was an intensive effort by Russia to interfere with the Nov. 8 election.
The first Russian institute document was a strategy paper written last June that circulated at the highest levels of the Russian government but was not addressed to any specific individuals.
A second institute document, drafted in October and distributed in the same way, warned that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was likely to win the election. For that reason, it argued, it was better for Russia to end its pro-Trump propaganda and instead intensify its messaging about voter fraud to undermine the U.S. electoral system’s legitimacy and damage Clinton’s reputation in an effort to undermine her presidency, the seven officials said.

Tovarisc

People still seems to be thirsty for sex tape featuring EasyD and GoldenShowers.

Tape to take over Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian tapes?

jelly

Trump admin must be supremely confident nothing will stick to them or it's in the interest of the US government not to out traitors at the top out of embarrassment in the form of protect the establishment. How could you be so blatant otherwise. It worries me.

What's worse, your administration is doing favours for the Russians to get an oil deal through, lining their own pockets, fucking over the country with their self serving backwards politics but will be out in 4 years or you out the administration as traitors, government is an embarrassment that got fiddled by the Russians, drags the country through the courts for years?

Am I too cynical to think the US big wigs would like it all to be brushed under the carpet, diluted behind closed doors, give people deals to fuck off and never return, spared the embarrassment then move along without the history books stating Russia played the country like a fiddle and won?

Has anything from dossier been proven false?

As far as I know, the only thing that has been debunked was someone not actually being in a meeting detailed in the dossier, but I think it ended up being that the person in question had the same name or something like that. I forget the exact deal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me wonder if Bernie was, even if indirectly, a part of this grand strategy or if his fall and the controversy surrounding it was all just a happy coincidence for those orchestrating it.

It recommended the Kremlin launch a propaganda campaign on social media and Russian state-backed global news outlets to encourage U.S. voters to elect a president who would take a softer line toward Russia than the administration of then-President Barack Obama, the seven officials said.
It's amazing that the Russians are winning this online war. They go through US companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter to spread their bullshit. The US media dominates the internet, but let itself be used by foreign agents to undermine its own country. It's ridiculous that this isn't a number one priority to get under control. I mean, just remove the fucks from Google and Facebook end you eliminate 90% of this info being spread around to normal users.

So I guess we can assume that r/thedonald is also ran by Russia.
You should participate in some discussions regarding Ukraine and other subjects surrounding Russia on this very forum sometime. I swear some users hare are paid trolls also. It is happening everywhere.

jelly

As far as I know, the only thing that has been debunked was someone not actually being in a meeting detailed in the dossier, but I think it ended up being that the person in question had the same name or something like that. I forget the exact deal.

Yeah, it was a similar name but the real person in question was in Europe I think at that time and could easily have had a dodgy meeting by hopping across a border without being noted.

kevin1025

Banned
"It's weird, all it says is 'Compliment Trump, he'll do anything' on this piece of paper." - news outlets when the plan leaks out.

Makes me wonder if Bernie was, even if indirectly, a part of this grand strategy or if his fall and the controversy surrounding it was all just a happy coincidence for those orchestrating it.

Any Clinton opposition would've been indirectly apart of it, but yes, you bet your ass he benefited greatly from Russian generated fake news.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
It's amazing that the Russians are winning this online war. They go through US companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter to spread their bullshit. The US media dominates the internet, but let itself be used by foreign agents to undermine its own country. It's ridiculous that this isn't a number one priority to get under control. I mean, just remove the fucks from Google and Facebook end you eliminate 90% of this info being spread around to normal users.

You should participate in some discussions regarding Ukraine and other subjects surrounding Russia on this very forum sometime. I swear some users hare are paid trolls also. It is happening everywhere.

Even ISPs are kind of to blame. There really isnt a consolidated effort on the media or on our own networks to cut the sources off.

Revenue or just "growth" is essentially driven by viewership and/or accounts signing up.

We expected someone else to do something about it. Like herd/by stander effect mentality on a massive scale.

The DNC shenanigans and the Hillary/Bernie party split was a set of useful circumstances that the Russians and their propaganda outlets took advantage of, to great effect.

commedieu

Banned
We got played but will be too divided to unite over this as a bad thing. It's just libtards being butthurt over a loss. That's the only take home for the people in power right now. And on the Supreme Court.

If You think Neogaf is bad You should check Polish news portals. Comments sections are full of Russia praising and open hate for Ukraine usually referencing painfull events from the past.

Although to be honest they are so crude in their troll work that they use phrases not used by Polish people which outs them instantly.

r/politics was practically unreadable at the apex of the Democratic Primary due to the frenzied pro-Bernie, Clinton Conspiracy nonsense. After the election, it all reverted back to relatively normal left-leaning news. It was was pretty clear to me that bot and troll armies were at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom