• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify's Discover Weekly is one of the best ways to find music

Armadilo

Banned
So every week the Spotify Discover Weekly playlist is a weekly roundup of songs based on your listening history and that of other Spotify fans with similar tastes,

Basically, you get music that is similar to what you already hear, This is what makes my Mondays as it's refreshed.

I literally find some amazing music by this, I add them to my own playlist and keep it growing.

This week I found my new favorite song if you want to hear it too -

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - A 1000 Times

Sinfamy

It was good the first time when it used my own music to give me recommendations.
Now it just uses the previous recommendations which I've listened to to give me awful ones.
Been stuck in an endless loop of trash.

Bold One

I agree

I recently discovered that Jaden Smith's new song is pretty good...

jaden-gif-1488415000.gif

It's hit and miss for me. I find myself skipping tracks more than I used to but there's always one song that gets me.

painey

It's given me about 50 good songs in 2 years. I hate that I have to wait every Monday for a new list.. it's all algorithms, why can't it just generate a new one at the push of a button?

Snagret

Loved it at first, I feel like the longer I've been on the platform the less it knows what to recommend me. Every couple weeks I'll pop in and check it out and I end up skipping most of the songs.

Release Radar has totally replaced it though, so it's fine.

I like it, but it's getting increasingly weird for me. It literally played Nirvana, the intro song for FMA, then the worst song I've ever heard by Kesha. Not really sure what lead to those since I've never listened to anything Anime-related, I do like Nirvana, and I like the occasional pop group (mostly stuff like CHVRCHS).

There's no way to curate it outside of what you listen to right? I didn't like half the songs on the last one I listened to.

ubique

I liked it at first but now all it gives me is some guy called the little uzi vert and frankly I cant stand him

Tadaima

I would love to make use of this feature, but my boss uses my Spotify account as the office radio and my suggestions are fucked :(

Any way to clear your listening history?

Ashtrax

I think the discover weekly playlist is best when you have way more variety in what you listen to. If you tend to listen to just one genre, it doesn't expand as well.

I cycle through a lot of different genres depending on what i'm doing at the time, and the weekly playlist has been on the money with new artists.

Jonnax

Spotify also give you 'Release Radar' it's new songs that would hit your discover weekly. Updates every Friday.

I always find at least one good song.

My music tastes are like really eclectic so I wonder how that affects my recommendations. I'll jump from movie soundtrack instrumentals to rap and R&B to Johnny Cash in a single week

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm gonna check it out but so far Google Music's flavour of the day and mood automatic playlists have always been on point. Can't say the same about Spotify.

smoothj

Been stuck on a shitty rap loop for weeks now. Is the playlist based on what you favorite?

Been into lo-fi hip hop for a few months now and it still doesn't pop up on discover weekly.

I find the daily mixes to be a much better discovery mechanism for me, but that's mostly because I stay within pretty narrow genres and silos. But those are really great.

valeo

The bad thing about sharing a Spotify account with my wife is that I end up with Glee and Jesse McCartney..

I don't understand why it thinks I like obscure Latin American prog rock. Also its tendency to give you bad cover versions of songs you've listened to previously is annoying.

Capitan

I use it to find all the best hate speech
haven't used this feature, but it sounds neat, i'll check it out.

Mechazawa

I'm rapidly getting less impressed with it. It keeps feeding me the same fucking music that I heard in weeks prior and seems to have pigeonholed itself into a very specific style of music.

Carn82

Yup, big fan, but yeah it's hit or miss every now and then. Im also a big fan of the Daily Mixes, they are decent most of the time, which to me, is quite something.

Falchion

It's one of my favorite features. Last week's discover playlist was absolutely fantastic and I've only listened to a few songs from this week's.

Lebron

I need to figure out how to reset mine. Listen to one screamo song a few months back and now it just has a field day with my songs being centered around that.

YaBish

I barely use discover weekly anymore. Spotify sent me an email a few months back with the chance to opt into a playlist called Your Trending Mix, that's essentially Discover Weekly with less of the random trash. I think it's still in Beta or something, because my girlfriend doesn't have it.

My 27 days worth of listening last year definitely paid off.

Jonnax

Whilst it's great. Does anyone else have weeks where a lot of their songs are remixes and shitty covers?

Like a cover of Ed Sheeran's Galway Girl. The line:
She played the fiddle in an Irish band But she fell in love with an English man
Changed to
She played the fiddle in an Irish band But she fell in love with an American

But no other distinguishing feature to it, it's like the guy sung with a karaoke track of the original trying his best to sound exactly like Sheeran.

Almost makes me think there needs to be a filter for pointless covers.

I make sure to listen to mine every week and there's always at least a few songs that I end up saving to my various playlists. That combined with my daily mixes keeps me supplied with new music.

Yeah it can be legit awesome. I've discovered a ton of new music through it and it's scarily accurate to my tastes in a given week. There has been a few misfires but by and large its the cherry on top of my Spotify experience.

ColdPizza

Banned
Anyone else have a problem with Spotify stopping tracks after about 5 or 6 seconds? It happens on like 80% of the songs I try to listen to. This makes Spotify unusable for me.

It was great until I started to share an account with my wife, who, while a lovely person, loves to listen to lots of Kpop and Jpop. I'm not such a big fan.

She listens to Spotify a lot more, so 75% of the music is now of the Asian variety. I like maybe 10% of it. Oh well.

spuckthew

It's hit and miss for me. I find myself skipping tracks more than I used to but there's always one song that gets me.

Same.

Pro tip: If you enjoy using Discover Weekly, don't let other people hijack your account for parties - it takes weeks for that shit to realign itself (especially as a hard rock/prog rock/metal sort of guy).

I recently just stopped downloading it. I'm glad to hear others are having the same experience as me, good at the beginning but not so much now. Getting a lot of boring indie rock and singer songwriter stuff, or stuff it showed me months ago. I've even tried to influence it by listening to certain artists/genres for the week but it didn't do anything.

Release radar on the other hand has been way better.

LakeEarth

Yeah, my Discovery playlists are stuck in an infinite loop of metal. If I listen to it, the algorithm sees that I listened to 30 metal songs, so I get 30 more metal songs the following week. I feel like the only way out is to stop listening to it and search for stuff on my own.

Love it.

I love Rock & Roll and I've discovered so many amazing bands and artists like The Subways, Eliot Summer, Les Bateliers, Califonia X and Skambankt.

So much good stuff out there.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just doesn't work for me. I still find my music going to record shops and bars. Discovery just keeps looping the same shit.

Yeah discover weekly is great.

Finally a use of all that big data i generated. Facebook should know me to a "T", but can't target a remotely respectable ad to ne to save their lives.

It's very hit or miss, which I don't mind at all. It's at least trying to get me to listen to new artists, whereas on Apple Music their suggestions go sorta like, "Oh you listened to Metallica? Here's a different Metallica track you might like."

Discover weekly is great, but I also like keeping tabs on Release Radar as it reminds me of new releases that I'd forgotten were out or surprises me with releases I had no idea existed

MUnited83

For you.
There was one time where it went haywire and recommended me a bunch of shitty ass memey songs, but otherwise it has been great and introduced me to plenty of great music.

Top Bottom