• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify's Discover Weekly is one of the best ways to find music

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. I discover so many news songs every day. Just today I found the following songs that I like:

Jason Derulo - Swalla (feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign) - Wideboys Remix
JP Candela - Morenita
J Balivin - Hey Ma (with J Balvin & Pitbull feat. Camila Cabello)
David Tort - Strangers
Maty Noyes - In My Mind
Kriss Raize feat. David Celine - Turn Me On (Hold You)
DJ Rasimcan - Dancefloor Murda
Ahzee - Burn it Down - Original Extended Mix

(the last one is my shit)

And now, a minute later, I find these:

DJ Johan Taborda - Crossover Mix
Shakira - Chantaje

faridmon

I have not used Spotify recently, but Apple Music's more limited (I guess algorithmic) approach is not letting me down...

f3Sv8XNl.png

Gives 25 (relatively) newly released songs weekly, and I usually like a few.

This week...

Superorganism - It's All Good
Youngr - Monsters
Clean Cut Kid - Leaving You Behind
Outasight - I Got You
Organized Noize - Kush

My music taste is all over the place (I like anything i deem to be "good"), so I am happy it is finding some things for me.

I don't know about the rest but Clean Cut Kid are awful. Saw them live twice, listened to a preview of their debut album and followed them from far.

They are absolutely horrendous

belvedere

Junior Butler
So every week the Spotify Discover Weekly playlist is a weekly roundup of songs based on your listening history and that of other Spotify fans with similar tastes,

Basically, you get music that is similar to what you already hear, This is what makes my Mondays as it's refreshed.

I literally find some amazing music by this, I add them to my own playlist and keep it growing.

This week I found my new favorite song if you want to hear it too -

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - A 1000 Times

I agree. Also, if you like Hamilton Leithauser you have to check out his original band The Walkmen if you haven't already.

Ive been a Spotify user for a year now. Big fan. A must have for a music fan. I check discover weekly every week and usually find some new good stuff (that I save to another playlist). Also your trending mix, release radar, daily mixes etc they do a good job of finding new music. Some weeks my discover weekly is lame becuase I listen to a wide variety of music and sometimes it misses but overall I like it a lot.

norm9

How would it work if a person (me) is used to just going down rabbit holes when picking "artists related to:" and listening to a song or two from them and then moving on?

Like yeah, I listened to 2 songs from The Kills and a couple from Interpol. But I don't want them in my list. I generally only listen to hip hop or punk on my commute to and from work.

Unducks

Neo Member
How would it work if a person (me) is used to just going down rabbit holes when picking "artists related to:" and listening to a song or two from them and then moving on?

Like yeah, I listened to 2 songs from The Kills and a couple from Interpol. But I don't want them in my list. I generally only listen to hip hop or punk on my commute to and from work.

As far as I can tell, it tends to grab mostly from things that you're listening to a significant amount. I listen to all kinds of genres but it has definitely tagged me, for better or worse, as mostly liking two or three.

interesting how weekly discover can pull all kinds of random stuff i've never heard but radio for any song/band ends up ultimately playing about 25 songs in an endless loop. i have no idea how they've never improved the radio feature.

I listened to many trashy songs that have some nostalgic value, and now I only get recommended trash. I wish there was a way to 'remove' songs that are used in its algorithm. It was definitely great the first few months I had it, though.

I just use the recommended songs feature at the bottom of personal playlists now.

the daily mixes repeat songs you've listened to before too much for my liking

at least pick a different song from the same artist

norm9

As far as I can tell, it tends to grab mostly from things that you're listening to a significant amount. I listen to all kinds of genres but it has definitely tagged me, for better or worse, as mostly liking two or three.

Okay. That doesn't sound great but I'll check it out and hope it gives me one or two good suggetsions.

Yep, it's always my go to on a Monday Morning. Spotify has made music discovery so enjoyable. It's amazing to me just how much music there is, and how much I'll never listen to.

I absolutely love it. My only complaint is that it latches on a bit too much to your very recent genres. I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff. But, for example, I've been listening to a good amount of EDM the last few weeks, so this week's list was 100% EDM. I wish it would have grabbed a few other genres from my thousands of saved songs instead of going all-in on EDM.

LionPride

Banned
My Discover Weekly is fucking garbo

It's the reason I started just looking in the different genre playlists and finding music I liked. Or asking friends to make me playlist and I'll make one for them. Shit like that

Just wanted to say thank you for the amazing recommendation! Love Youngr from his track Out Of My System and had no idea he had a new single out. Listening to it on Spotify now and it's awesome. Amazing track. Thank you. Discover Weekly also remains pretty amazing for me. Usually find at least a few tracks that end up stuck on repeat.

n0razi

Its great when you first start using it like the OP... then it gets really repetitive and you stop using it

I stopped using the discover playlist when I found about the "your daily mix" list. Much better way to find new music based on genres you already listen to

AcridMeat

Banned
Y'all need to be blessed by Soundcloud's related track curation. It is untouchable how on point it always is. I've lost so many nights just letting it play.

killroy87

The Discovery features are the only thing about Spotify I'm jealous of, as a Google Play Music user. I thought Google getting Songza would make it a titan in that regard, but I find it pretty weak overall.

Top Bottom