• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare's new IP delayed into fiscal year 2019 (April 2018 - March 2019)

FelipeMGM

Just announced at the conference call

They doubled down its a ''live game''

Conference notes:

Endless said:
”We're very pleased with the progress of our new action IP from BioWare. The Design is stunning. Gameplay mechanics are excellent, and the action will be exhilarating. The game is built around a live service, and through our creative process, we decided to add more to the disruptive new social design for our players.

To accomodate that, we are moving the launch date for this project into fiscal year '19."

They also later said that they delayed it to "further develop the live service component of the game".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just said on EA's fiscal call.

It still sounds like it's BioWare Destiny. I'll get the exact quote later, plus anything else they say in the call.

post-11150-Grumpy-Cat-GOOD-and-NO-memes-pGrc.jpeg

Considering they haven't made a good game since 2010 they might be better off scrapping it and starting from scratch if the development is troubled.

Zackat

if it is similar to destiny then I can't wait. Polish it up.

Though Destiny 2 is probably gonna turn into my daily driver game

Bioware really just doesn't want to make the kind of games we loved them for anymore. Damn shame, you couldn't hype me on this if you tried after hating many previous projects.

Patryn

This is the good Bioware, though, not a renamed one like the one that mainly did Andromeda.
The renaming thing was a total bullshit story pushed by random people. Zero truth to it.

Montreal was a new studio built by Bioware to be Bioware.

Lee

To be fair Destiny will eat their lunch whenever they release unless it is somehow associated with the Star Wars IP.

Coming out mid-way through Destiny releases when those players are getting restless and bored might not be a bad approach actually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So technically live game can mean many things, it's more just a reference to a continually updated game that's often online driven, but in this case, BioWare's game is almost assuredly a Destiny-a-like.

This is the good Bioware, though, not a renamed one like the one that mainly did Andromeda.

So this is Inquisition Bioware?

This Bioware hasn't released a game in a while, if this is about the Main Bioware team.

This is the new IP that's been in the works at BioWare Edmonton from the OG Mass Effect team after Mass Effect 3 came out and work on ME3 DLC wrapped. The one Casey Hudson was working on before he left for Microsoft and Hololens.

So yes, it's BioWare Edmonton. But it's not the Dragon Age team --- because they're working on the next Dragon Age, most likely.

It still sounds like it's BioWare Destiny. I'll get the exact quote later, plus anything else they say in the call.

Honestly as much as I actually loved it, Andromeda should have been Mass Effect Destiny.
It was literally a perfect set up and design for it.

Raven117

Bioware really needs to get thinking about what makes their game special.

While last gen (and of course generations before, but truly came to prominence with the gaming community at large), they were able to deliver some great games to the console crowd (Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect 1, 2, and yes.3), now, there are too many talented studios doing great things.

Both Bethesda and Bioware need to give there classic game structure a re-imagining. Fallout 4 hit without much more of a splash in the shallow end of the pool, while Mass Effect Andromeda just rolled off the side.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
This is actually great news though. I'd rather they concentrated on getting it right and not rush the release, especially on a new IP which needs to be great out the door.

Bioware is a developer which has made many missteps but I believe they are also a developer with an incredible amount of potential to do something truly spectacular, varying shades of which we have seen with their previous games

Endless

Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson:

”We're very pleased with the progress of our new action IP from BioWare. The Design is stunning. Gameplay mechanics are excellent, and the action will be exhilarating. The game is built around a live service, and through our creative process, we decided to add more to the disruptive new social design for our players.

To accomodate that, we are moving the launch date for this project into fiscal year '19."

Think Destiny/Division/Wildlands.

Games as a service.

I don't know if I would put Wildlands in that group. Sure its not a very interesting game to play solo but there isnt anything in the game that requires it to be played online.

Destiny and the Division are games that can only be played while online and heavily encourage the multiplayer element.

Yep follows the trend of EA being few years too late to the party they had with MMO/Moba/Cod clones etc.

Kill3r7

Coming out mid-way through Destiny releases when those players are getting restless and bored might not be a bad approach actually.

The hard part is sustaining the early momentum. Most of my friends and I jumped on The Division only to drop it in a couple of months to return to Destiny. So far nothing has scratched that itch. I love Bioware so I hope this turns out great but I fully expect Destiny to basically be WoW on consoles.

Well I'd prefer a single-player game but I'm certainly going to give it a go. Looking forward to it
I know gaf hates modern bioware and all but I absolutely love them, they haven't let me down yet so there's no reason for me to doubt this new IP.

No problems with them delaying it either & 2019 isn't that long a wait. I do think Andromeda would've been better received had it been delayed another couple months or so to work on some of the things they're patching in now

Lee

The hard part is sustaining the early momentum. Most of my friends and I jumped on The Division only to drop it in a couple of months to return to Destiny. So far nothing has scratched that itch. I love Bioware so I hope this turns out great but I fully expect Destiny to basically be WoW on consoles.

Fully agreed, but you guys bought the Division all the same. For sales, this delay seems like a smart move if it's being marketed as a Destiny competitor. That 1.5 - 2 year mark was a big slump for Destiny, though hopefully the sequel does a better job with content releases and keeping people engaged throughout.

Also, weird avatar twin thing going on. Liha - never saw your av before. I haven't used this one for long so let me know if it's too similar and I'll change it.

Top Bottom