• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare's new IP delayed into fiscal year 2019 (April 2018 - March 2019)

It'll probably sell well, but this is the exact opposite of what I want from a Bioware game. The studio is pretty much just the skin of what it once was strung up like a puppet at this point.

It makes me sad to type this, but BioWare no longer gets the benefit of the doubt from me. They will have to do a lot to get me to buy in on a Destiny-like.

m_dorian

"Live game". Action IP. This is not the kind of game i want Bioware to make. This is not the Bioware i onced loved.
But i sound like i want the good old Bioware to be resurrected.
:(

"Live game". Action IP. This is not the kind of game i want Bioware to make. This is not the Bioware i onced loved.
But i sound like i want the good old Bioware to be resurrected.
:(

What is BioWare at this point?

I agree with everything you're saying but as somebody whose love of BioWare is rooted in Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR, Dragon Age:Origins and ME2... I think that BioWare is just gone. Too many people have left from those days and too many of their recent titles just haven't lived up to those older games.

All that said, I'm still curious to see what's next for Dragon Age. The new IP not being out for a while now makes me wonder if EA is going to force whatever is next for Dragon Age into fiscal 18? With as big as BioWare has gotten I have a hard time thinking EA would want zero output out of BioWare from now until their new IP ships.

Wulfram

All that said, I'm still curious to see what's next for Dragon Age. The new IP not being out for a while now makes me wonder if EA is going to force whatever is next for Dragon Age into fiscal 18? With as big as BioWare has gotten I have a hard time thinking EA would want zero output out of BioWare from now until their new IP ships.

I think its very unlikely the next DA will be out any time soon. Virtually all of its writing team except the new Head Writer have been working on Mass Effect Andromeda or the New IP.

Some Nobody

What is BioWare at this point?

I agree with everything you're saying but as somebody whose love of BioWare is rooted in Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR, Dragon Age:Origins and ME2... I think that BioWare is just gone. Too many people have left from those days and too many of their recent titles just haven't lived up to those older games.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, fiscal '18 is like...now. The game was meant to come out Q1 2018, which is the end of the fiscal year. Now it sounds more like they aren't sure of an exact release date, so they moved it into Fiscal '19 which starts April next year. For all we know it got shifted by just one month, they just didn't want that to reflect in their projections for this year.

I'd guess we'll still see it Q2. However I DO wonder if the Dragon Age team has even gotten that far on DA"4". How many teams are there?

Soph

Do you mean among BioWare fans? Because more generally, that type of game is basically the best selling in the industry.

Among Bioware fans yes, I am still under the impression that we like deep RPG experiences where we can fully immerse ourselves into a new world.

Selling out to the crowd is all the hotness these days though, would be their second betrayal as well.

olag

An interesting but ultimately risky direction for EA. By the time the new IP comes out it might be that Massive connected online titles might not be the "it" thing anymore but of coarse the possibility of success still exists.

Im curious to see whether they will be able to replicate Destiny's/The divisions success with this new IP or will it get eaten up like so many MMOs during the "lets try to destroy/become Wow" phase the game industry went through.

Kill3r7

An interesting but ultimately risky direction for EA. By the time the new IP comes out it might be that Massive connected online titles might not be the "it" thing anymore but of coarse the possibility of success still exists.

Im curious to see whether they will be able to replicate Destiny's/The divisions success with this new IP or will it get eaten up like so many MMOs during the "lets try to destroy/become Wow" phase the game industry went through.

EA does not have a Destiny like game and if they want to stay competitive they will need one. As I stated earlier, I think Destiny is one of a kind success story. They are much more likely to end up with a Division like level of success than Destiny but that might be good enough.

Killzig

disruptive new social design for our players

What absolute nonsense corporate speak. They probably think they're avoiding Destiny 2, but there'll probably be a massive Taken King style expansion launching around then to kick them in the nads and steal their lunch.

Renekton

Why burn time/money on an E3 presentation when release date is far away, Bioware is fresh off a rocky MEA launch and people will be focusing on Destiny 2...

Mrbob

By FY2019 I think the Destiny fad would be saturated and tired. I fear for Bioware's future
Theyve been chasing what is popular instead of doing their own thing for years. I doubt this game will even be close to a division level success.

spekkeh

Banned
I see EA's suits are still busy ignoring the real talent of their teams to chase yet again what other people are doing. Riccitello really was the only person there who understood games.

It's a damn shame Bioware had to die, they were masters of storytelling for their time. But EA does what EA does, ruin great companies. Also, like to point out the things that are amazing, none of it said story or writing. The action is good, the elements that people didn't care about Bioware for are good, but Bioware as you and I know them is dead in the water.

EGM1966

Call me a cynic but I suspect behind the PR speak this really means "After Andromeda we realised shoving it out with issues with the online elements vs Destiny 2 was a bad idea".

Still - actually making sure quality is there s good so whatever the reason I'm glad they're not taking usual "must meet launch route" and are actually delaying it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
"The game is good/excellent, we just want to give it a bit more time."

Well, well, where have I heard that before... Oh right, Mass Effect Andromeda where clearly everything was going well.

Theyve been chasing what is popular instead of doing their own thing for years. I doubt this game will even be close to a division level success.

Seriously. Regardless of whether or not you like Bioware's recent releases (I actually like most of them), they seem like a developer that has no confidence in any kind of creative vision with their games. Dragon Age Origins is probably the last game they put out that felt like something that wasn't just playing to trends or a reaction to the popularity of other titles.

ME2: streamlined to play more like GoW and other popular cover based tps

DA2: one of the most embarrassing attempts in recent times to appeal to the mainstream. Bioware seriously tried to push this game to the "Call of Duty audience." The sequel to a game that was envisioned as a spiritual successor to BG2...

ME3: played even more than ME2 into the trend of "cinematic" games that was at its zenith at the time. Very linear with considerable focus on bombastic setpieces.

DAI: we want to be like Skyrim and its 20 million+ sales! We instead ended up much more like SWTOR...

SWTOR: oh yeah, this game. One of the more shameless WoW clones in the themepark mmo genre.

MEA: we will have "meaningful quests" like the Witcher 3! Remember when Geralt spent most of his time returning to Kaer Morhen to check his email?

I'm not trying to shit on these games. I actually like most of them (I even love ME2). But Bioware has just been a studio with no creative vision for quite a while now. Either they don't have any creative directors/writers with such a vision anymore or they now exist in an environment where such ideas are not able to be expressed. Either answer is sad for a company that has made some of the most celebrated RPGs of all time.

Top Bottom