• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought Witcher 3 and I have a few questions

PK Gaming

I know this should be a no brainer, but is it absolutely necessary that I play the older games before touching Witcher 3? I can personally handle playing games backwards (even if it means experiencing spoilers), and Witcher 3 is apparently really fucking good™. But still, I want to be 100% sure that i'm not screwing myself out of experiencing some amazing moments by not playing through the trilogy normally. Also, will the PS4 version of the game allow you to set choices from the 1st and 2nd game?

deoee

I found Witcher 1 (except some parts) and 2 more fun than 3.

Played them in preparation for 3 which I sadly never really got into.
But it was nice knowing the huge background stories of some of the characters. You can immediatly connect to the world and lore when you know half the name

Corpekata

Banned
No, for the most part. it was likely the entry point for millions of players after all. A good chunk of the story addresses things that weren't really present in 1 and 2. And even then the games throw you in the deep end. It's a largely established world where a lot of people already know Geralt and you just kind of have to fill in the blanks.

There is one major subplot that is a continuation of mainline plots fro 2 though, and so when you meet a supporting character the reunion probably won't be half as notable if you never played 2, and one of the romances has a certain amount more heft for series players as the character was present in all 3 games, while the others were not.

Cess007

I played and finished Witcher 3 without having play neither 1 nor 2. And still enjoyed the hell out of the game and the characters. However, I bet, the impact of certain scenes or moments are lessened by not having played the earlier games.

I know this should be a no brainer, but is it absolutely necessary that I play the older games before touching Witcher 3? I can personally handle playing games backwards (even if it means experiencing spoilers), and Witcher 3 is apparently really fucking good™. But still, I want to be 100% sure that i'm not screwing myself out of experiencing some amazing moments by not playing through the trilogy normally. Also, will the PS4 version of the game allow you to set choices from the 1st and 2nd game?

I've not played any other but understood it well enough. There's a diary in the game anyway that tells you a lot of the story and though there are references to the previous games, it's not necessary in order to follow the story :)

It's not necessary to play 1 or 2 before 3. Three is mostly very self contained but 1 and 2 provide a lot of world/story/character history for 3. They do a decent job of providing that history to you via the in game character screen (which provides lore for every major character you meet). There are a few smaller quests that you won't appreciate as much either since they focus on some of the characters from 1/2 (mainly just 2).

And there is no way to import saves on PS4 as neither 1 nor 2 have ever existed on a PlayStation console.

Rellik

A few things will be better because you played the series, but it's not necessary.

You could look for a YouTube recap if it matters so much to you.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
To get the full experience out of Witcher 3, you should also read all the Witcher books, because there are a ton of references to stuff from the books in the game. Also, the books are fantastic. But Witcher 3 is still amazing even without any knowledge of the previous games or the books, so decide for yourself.

Effect

Like said not at all necessary to play the past games. I don't believe anyone will be confused. There is some extra enjoyment if you played them because the events that are referenced and talked about (enough so you understand them) are events you actually played through and saw happen in the previous games but that's it. They're presented in such a way that you're not expected to have played the previous games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not necessary but the prior games(particularly witcher 2) entirely inform the events, state of the world, characterization, etc... You will pick up on a lot of this through osmosis(and reading codex entries) which help get you up to speed.

That said, the crux of the game's progression and plot is relatively original even if the pieces on the board and motives are derived from prior games. You can just as easily play them in reverse and find appreciation. It shouldn't stop you from jumping into W3 right now, just pay a bit more attention to not become lost as you learn about this world.

I still don't know anything about the previous games or books and I was able to follow the stories in the Witcher 3 quite nicely.

I started with 3, then played the first two.

3 is a fantastic game and you don't need to play the first two to enjoy it. That being said, the first 2 games are definitely worth playing if you have the time.

The connections to Witcher 1 and 2 are more based in characters and lore. The actual plot of The Witcher 3 is almost entirely standalone, if anything, it relies more on knowledge of the book series than of the other two games. Though most of us haven't read those books, and enjoy it just fine. You'll be fine jumping in with 3.

I had only played The Witcher 2 before 3, and I had forgotten mostly everything about it by the time 3 came out. Didn't stop it from becoming one of my GOATs. You could watch a recap video if you feel you need to.

To get the full experience out of Witcher 3, you should also read all the Witcher books, because there are a ton of references to stuff from the books in the game. Also, the books are fantastic. But Witcher 3 is still amazing even without any knowledge of the previous games or the books, so decide for yourself.

Agreed, having the backstory of the books for a lot of the little call outs that happen throughout the game is quite satisfying. Not necessary, but greatly enhanced the feeling of being immersed in the world for me.

Not at all necessary. The story of the Witcher 3 isn't all that heavily tied into the previous games. You'll miss some references and jokes, but the main story stands on it's own.

Harmen

Not at all. I tried W2, didn't like it, tried W3 and absolutely loved it. Then I returned to W2 and that one finally clicked as well. W3 builds on the books and the first two games, but is completely understandable on it's own.

TW3 is such a massive game including its two expansions that it's not necessary, you're delving into for the most part completely brand new stories.

There is continuation of course, such as Geralt's relationship with Triss and Yeneffer for example (and the relationship of this triangle), it's not continuation so major that you absolutely *need* to play the previous.

CDPR knew that TW3 will be an entry point for a lot of people, so they still introduce characters like Triss well for new players but in a way that doesn't feel like a "hey dummy remember Triss?" for players that have played previous games.

You can watch some YT videos and the like that sum up the previous two game's stories and characters. I do recommend that (or read up on it).

Luxorek

You will be fine OP. As a matter of fact it would be more beneficial for you to read Sapkowski's novels than to play the previous games. Actually... short stories would do just fine, that's 'The Sword of Destiny' and 'The Last Wish'.

Thanks to that, you will get a feel of some prominent characters that appear for a first time in TW3.

Ahasverus

Not at all. In fact even the Witcher 1 treats the world as an already stabilised one with almost zero introductions. You just have to roll with it.

I'd advise looking at some retrospective in YouTube.

stn

Not a problem at all. There's actually a really good story guide out there meant for players new to 3 who haven't played 1 or 2. It provides background on all the characters and story elements without spoiling anything. I'm trying to find it again but no luck.

PK Gaming

Guess i'll watch some recaps and dive right in. Looking forward to sinking hours into this beast of a game.

Thanks everyone.

You will be fine OP. As a matter of fact it would be more beneficial for you to read Sapkowski's novels than to play the previous games. Actually... short stories would do just fine, that's 'The Sword of Destiny' and 'The Last Wish'.

Thanks to that, you will get a feel of some prominent characters that appear for a first time in TW3.
This.

Reading the books will be much more rewarding than playing the previous games. However, both Witcher 1 and 2 are great RPGs in their own right, so I'd play them just for that.

Witcher 2 regularly goes on sale for $5 or less on Steam.

ghostjoke

Banned
1 and 2 are great games with some amazing plotlines and moments that get you attached to the characters and the world that amplify Witcher 3, but I wouldn't say it subtracts from not knowing. The journal should be able to keep you informed and the story itself is self-contained. There's even a cleverly designed questline at one point that basically has a "I've read the books" option.

Iksenpets

Banned
Nah, the story is pretty self-contained, and they do a good job of recapping important bits about the characters from previous games. It's also not really a twist-heavy story, so you don't have to worry much about spoiling big moments.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, will the PS4 version of the game allow you to set choices from the 1st and 2nd game?

And there is no way to import saves on PS4 as neither 1 nor 2 have ever existed on a PlayStation console.

You can't import a save in the PS4 version. obviously, but you can make some choices regarding important events in 1 & 2, which then affect how the game plays out. You have to enable "simulate TW2 save" or something similar when you start the game. Then you'll get to make those choices after you've made your way through the prologue.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I played 1 first years ago, played 2 for all of 1 hour and hated it, then played 3 for 160 hours and loved every bit of it. After that I read all the books (which I found ok, the first few books and short stories are AMAZING, the later books, specifically anything that has Ciri in it, it's not so great. In fact I'd say that last 2 books were just bad, I didn't enjoy them at all and hate Ciri even more now). Ciri, worst character in fiction.

I tried going back to 2 a few weeks ago and just couldn't. It's aged horribly and the voice acting is nail scratching awful. 1 however I can still play and enjoy.

Honestly I would recommend reading about Witcher 1 and start playing from Witcher 2. Witcher 2 is amazing and should not be skipped from my point of view and most would say that about 1 as well but I'm not sure if you're going to like its combat that much since its the worst of all and has made me stop playing it back in the day a lot of times.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly I would recommend reading about Witcher 1 and start playing from Witcher 2. Witcher 2 is amazing and should not be skipped from my point of view and most would say that about 1 as well but I'm not sure if you're going to like its combat that much since its the worst of all and has made me stop playing it back in the day a lot of times.

Except for the combat (although I didn't really have a problem with that either) I think TW1 is better than 2. 2 feels so linear and constrained, and the story is all about war politics. I mean, I absolutely recommend playing 2 as well, but I don't recommend skipping 1.

Chris1

Witcher 3 was my first Witcher game. You don't need to play 1&2. Its story is self-contained and any throwbacks to previous games are explained pretty well.

You won't get some stuff, that's a given. But the game is massive so it's necessary,

The game is more a sequel to the books than 1/2, but triss stuff might leave you scratching your head

Ultimadrago

No, you don't need to play The Witcher 1 or 2 to play 3. I actually wish they did a better job of bridging the games at all. Though for the easiest entry for unaware audiences, I'm warming up more to the idea that The Witcher 3 ended up being so detached in terms of a few narrative connections.

That said, there are some really awesome nuggets for those that played the previous titles (as with most games like this). But yeah, not necessary and you should be able to jump in fine with a simple recap or two!

Oh no, not at all.

There are a few nods to the previous 2 games you'll miss, but nothing important. Certainly nothing a quick wiki-plot synopsis read wouldn't fix either.

Gigageiger

Neo Member
I'd say at least play Witcher 2 first. And if you find Witcher 1 to be too janky, watch a playthrough or read the summary. After all that and Witcher 3, read the books if you want to, just to deepen your knowledge of the world's lore and the characters, especially about Ciri's earlier, more fucked up days, and also the lovely interactions between Geralt and Yen, just so you'll know that Yen is the right woman for Geralt and not Triss.

Team Yen FTW.

Lunar15

First of all, I'm genuinely interested in hearing your impressions of this game.

Second, while it's not necessary to have played 1 and 2, a recap is helpful. Also, a small recap of characters from the books would also be helpful because I feel like W3 is more a continuation of the books than it is a continuation of the games. Polygon had a pretty great recap/write up that gives you the right info:

https://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8620223/witcher-3-guide-witcher-2-witcher

During the game, definitely utilize the game's glossary. It's not only incredibly well written, but it's good at getting you up to speed on who all these characters are.

EDIT: Ooh, the post below me has good resources. Use those.

Got the game a few weeks ago too and had the same question since it was my first Witcher game

These really helped beforehand:

Found this newcomers PDF and this 2 pt retrospective video

edit: actually this retrospective was somewhat confusing watching beforehand because of all the world vocabulary. They make for really good watches once you finish Witcher 3 and are use to the world

Lunar15

I ended up getting Witcher 1/2 for super cheap via Humble Bundle.

Guess I have the entire trilogy now, haha.

1 is a jank ass game. 2 is a really great game. 3 is a whole different beast that's on a scale unlike anything the first two could muster.

The long and short of it is, Witcher 1 & 2 are both great games worth playing on their own, and Witcher 3 has enough callbacks to give further reason for playing them. It's fully possible to play--and greatly enjoy--Witcher 3 without having played the previous games, but know that it is as much a sequel as it is standalone. CDPR managed to satisfy everyone with the Witcher 3.

So, playing the previous games is not necessary, but recommended.

Unfortunately, the only platform with all three games is PC. The Witcher 1 never made it over to consoles. And re: worldstate; you can import save games from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, but it only changes enough to make it feel like your game and not much more. (And IIRC without an import save, Witcher 3 figures out your worldstate through an early conversation.)
I ended up getting Witcher 1/2 for super cheap via Humble Bundle.

Guess I have the entire trilogy now, haha.

Nice!

See you in, what.... 300-400 hours?

Top Bottom