• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs, The Division, For Honor, The Crew, and Steep were all profitable

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ubisoft announced on their fiscal call that all five of their new IPs this generation, the ones listed in the title, were all profitable on their first entry.

So for most of these this was obvious, but it confirms The Crew and Steep were profitable.

I remember that they already said that The Crew was profitable.

Nice to see that Steep was as well. Another reminder that even though no one talks about them, most of Ubisoft games are really big.

Steep being profitable is a bit of a surprise but it's good news. Still need to get it but I'm waiting to see if the Switch port is decent.

Chris1

Said it before but Ubi has hit gold with new IP's this gen. Their market research is on point I have no doubt their new IP next year will be a success also

yurinka

As I remember The Crew had 12M users and a record engagement, so make sure it was profitable.

I'm happy to see that big new IPs are profitable. Let's hope the other big publishers take note from Ubi or Sony and release more new IPs.

I'm specially happy for risky IPs like Steep or The Crew. You need to be brave to pitch a cars open world AAA MMO or a winter sports open world when the driving (unless you're Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Need for Speed or Forza) and winter sports genre are pretty much dead or don't sell well.

Plus, if they actually do release it, I think Steep will be quite evergreen with a long tail on Switch. Not many games like that on that platform at all (and unless SSX is rebooted again, there won't be)

Can't imagine that Steep was profitable.

Steeps dev team was tiny. It was made by Ubisoft Annecy which only employs 140 people. They are usually a team that helps the larger teams work on the "Big Projects" for Ubi.

Game likely didn't have to sell all that much to break even

Ubisoft is really good at multiplat, marketing, and aggressive pricing. I bought Crew on both PC and xbone due to "price errors" (probably not) that dropped the game + all DLC to $20, still haven't played more than an hour or two of it.

rhandino

Banned
Weird, GAF always tell me that any game that Ubiflop makes is a bomba bin because their OT barely have more than 40 pages.

Jokes aside it's nice to see them getting rewarded for providing the market with products they want to buy... would be nicer if some of those products like The Division and Wildlands were better at launch but hey! At least they get updated and receive constant support from them so I cant hate.

Is Steep still coming to Switch?

Also, I'm one of the people who bought For Honor at launch and regretted it lol, gonna fire it up today because I paid for the stuff anyway but man that game took too long to fix its issues.

Glad to see For Honor did well

MzViMzA4ODBhNyMvOFprSW1vRkg4MzhNV2FYV2t3V19ZaEJ2U2ZZPS9maXQtaW4vOTAweDkwMC9maWx0ZXJzOm5vX3Vwc2NhbGUoKTpxdWFsaXR5KDgwKS9odHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLm1pYy5jb20vdHFsOHZ5eGFseGdwd3hhNm1tYmpzYW5ycXJ0NGpxc3J0bXU2ZGN2bjBlcmltN3BkNHVvazU0ZXlyYmtkYWhyNC5naWY.gif

Said it before but Ubi has hit gold with new IP's this gen. Their market research is on point I have no doubt their new IP next year will be a success also

This is absolutely true and something you don't see mentioned a lot. Their market research team is A Class and those people deserve some serious recognition

Zukkoyaki

Ubisoft simply gets the mass market. They know exactly how to make and market games that perform well which is extremely impressive.

You're right Ubisoft just committed fraud
I'm still waiting on further details from watch dogs 2, I definitely need wd3

WD2 started slow and Ubi even admitted as much. They also said though that it was legging well and that long term they saw it as a success.

I don't think you should be worried about WD3 not happening.

BIGWORM

I need to get back into For Honor. I was one of those that dropped off after the first two weeks. Need to make that purchase worth it, especially now that season 2 is out/coming out soon! =/

Zyrox

Makes me happy to see For Honor doing so well. Game is something new and great.

Also surprised that Steep was profitable. They released that one with no fanfare at all. Good on them though.

They're taking too long with their Switch port of Steep. As more original games come out on the Switch, buying a downport of an old game will become even less attractive. I'll probably get it if it's priced correctly though.

Top Bottom