• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that went digital on the Switch, how is it going nearly 3 months after?

entremet

So far I only own Zelda in game card, but have been digital for everything else. To be honest, it feels like the right decision. I won't go completely digital, as I plan to get Odyssey on game card. But I already got MK8D digital and it's great to get a few laps in. Arms is another MP game and of course Splatoon 2 will also be digital purchases for the same reason as MK8D.

My only complaint is the lack of folders and there seems to be no way to pin game tiles, but I'm sure that will be updated.

For those that went digital on the Switch, how is it going?

Having Zelda and all these other games on the system with how fast it is to just boot it up for a quick session feels pretty great.
Need to buy more eshop credit, though.

SeanR1221

It's amazing. The other day I was traveling for work and switched between Isaac, Mario Kart and Zelda with ease. No carrying carts is the way to go

archvile7

Big games I am doing physical (i.e. Zelda, MK8), "smaller" games like Binding of Isaac, Thumper, Shovel Knight, etc I am doing digital.

fernoca

Same as every other platform. Though more customization options would be nice.

I've been 95% digital for years only get phisycal editions of LEs or stuff not available digitally.

On Switch, Binding of Isaac (booklet and stickers) and Skylanders (figures) are my only physical games. Disgaea soon because of the LE.

13 games installed on it, with a 128GB SD (that still has 100GB free).

Going fine and the games are smaller than I expected...for having 6 games on the card I still have way more space left than I expected to.

I always go digital for portable systems FWIW. I still prefer physical for non-portables, but the thought of lugging around games is a big no for me.

muteki

Would be interested to know how it was going if you RMA'd your Switch, or bought/sold HW used, or had multiple Switches....otherwise, as expected?

It's been perfectly fine.

Just as fine as it was with Wii U and 3DS.

I have Zelda, MK8, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Kamiko, FAST RMX, and Blaster Master Zero on internal memory. Everything else on a 128GB SD Card.

So far so good. I even got a 128GB card. I love it, it's more convenient, easy to launch games.

I have Zelda, Mario Kart Deluxe, WonderBoy, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Fast RMX so far.

Got a 200gb card so I'm good. But I find myself buy I g more games then normal. I feel the portability and digital has made me more open to indi devs.

maxcriden

It's going well, thanks. A few eShop games. I happened to get MK8D physically but otherwise Zelda and the eShop games have been digital. I plan to go digital for the most part, but usually will pick up new releases physically since they are cheaper that way, and then get the digital versions when on sale and sell or trade the physical copies at that point.

Awesome. I just "finished" Zelda last night. By that, I mean I finally went and beat the final boss after about 180 hours. My completion showed 66%, and so 400 of those are korok seeds, then I have 19 shrines left, and some pockets of the world to explore. Zelda alone can keep me busy for another couple months. I play Snipperclips for 30 minutes a couple times a month with my wife and that's fun, and I did buy MK8 though I only play it for a few minutes before going to bed a couple times a week. I'm not in a rush for more more more games because I just have so many other fun/important things going on in life that I don't feel the need to have any more than what I have. I am really hoping, though, for the VC soon because I do want to enjoy the classics on that sweet portable screen!

Edit: for the digital part, I am mostly physical, but I did get mario kart digital because I would never play it if it wasn't already in, I'll be fine with a 128gb for the whole system life I am guessing.

mas8705

So far, the only games I got were BotW and Snipperclips. It also helps that I got a carrying case that holds cards too so later on when even more games come out, there will be space to hold the carts.

That said, there's no denying that for the few other games that I had collected digitally (demos), it has been a nice convenience for the use of digital.

For most people it should be fine since the library isn't big. Give it a couple years and if folders or a better organization method doesn't exist it will be a pain in the ass.

I only own Snipperclips and Blaster Master digitally. Waiting for trade up bonuses so I can upgrade to digital.

Great, though I definitely notice a difference in load times between games I have on internal flash memory (Mario Kart 8 and Zelda), and games on my SD card (Tumbleseed which takes forever).
SD card was cheap too.
I'm really happy with how it's going, though the Amazon prime members discounts on preorders make me jealous.
However, not worrying about switching (no pun tho) cartridges or carrying them with me all the time is great. I never not have all of my Switch games, and I'll keep it that way.

Same as you, I only have Zelda on cart. I love having all my games with me wherever I go. No regrets on paying full price for MK8D digital. I can quickly switch to whatever game I want to play.

The snappiness of the OS and the fact that splash screens after loading games are almost non-existent make going digital even better.

I think I might go cartridge for the other bigger games like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I do have a case that holds a few carts if I need that option.

Futureman

I would be more inclined to go all digital on a disc based system. The tiny cards, no spinning discs, similar load times... doesn't seem entirely worth it on Switch.

Genio88

for me it's great so far, i have a 128GB micro SD which is almost as fast as Switch internal storage, so no problem at all, and i still have plenty of space, i just bought Zelda, Fast RMX, Metal Slug 3 and Mario Kart, but i also downloaded all the demos available so far, next games will be Arms and Splatoon, i think i'll buy one of those retail though, just to try how this cartridges are and also cause i think it'll be cheaper

BashNasty

The only game I own physical is Zelda, and that's only because I didn't feel like waiting for the game to download after buying my switch, I wanted to start playing immediately.

Everything else I've bought, and everything else I will buy for the Switch, will be digital. It's just the way to go.

XandBosch

No regrets whatsoever. Put a 128 GB card in from the beginning and I love being able to switch between games without a second thought. Can't even imagine having to deal with carts.

neurophd

Digital: MK8D and Puyo Puyo Tetris
Physical: Binding of Isaac and Zelda

Happy with this arrangement. I wanted to take advantage of BB discount on some physical but it is nice to seamlessly switch to my most frequently played digitally choices. Thinking of buying digital games with endless game play. Wasn't sure if I would have liked BoI...in retrospect should have bought digitally, great game!

Jaagen

Zelda, Mario Kart, Fast RMX and Minecraft has almost filled up my system so I need to get an SD card before Arms comes out.

Going all digital has been great, as I save around $6 for each release. It might not seem like much, but as a student, I'll take every saving I can get.

jacobeid

Banned
I own a few digital titles but I'm still buying physical copies of Nintendo games (for whatever reason). My case has plenty of room for cards so I'm not too worried about it. I did buy a 128gb micro SD so I'm pretty set for digital.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
In cases like Binding of Isaac and Puyo Puyo Tetris, going digital is a little cheaper.

As for me the only two games I own are Zelda and MK8D both of which are physical. Ive been eyeing some of those NeoGeo games tho.

molnizzle

Going great. Have Zelda, Mario kart, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Shovel Knight and Minecraft and barely made a dent in the 64 GB card that used to live in my 3DS. Should last be until 2018, at which point there will hopefully be 1 TB microSD's available for purchase.

Physical media is a dead format for me regardless, but especially on a portable. I can't even fathom being tethered to fucking game carts with something that I take in my bag.

TI82

Banned
So much better, have digital everything though I have Splatoon 2 pre-ordered on a card because best buy rewards and will probably get arms that way too if the demo is fun

Kaiken

Banned
Slow. Will pick up MK8 and take it for a spin now and then. Excited to give the godson his Neon Switch next month though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought Issac and Bomberman physically just in case they became rare and to have something to put in the slot.

J@hranimo

Banned
Zelda and MK8D are my only physical games. Snake Pass, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX, Kamiko, Tumbleseed, and Thumper are all digital (like there's a choice currently) and everything still runs smoothly.

Still don't need a SD card yet ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Loving it. Mario Kart, quick jump to Lego City, back to Mario Kart, match of Puyo Puyo with the mrs... wouldn't do it with cards

antibolo

Banned
I've always prioritized digital on handhelds wherever possible. Having most of your library at all times (without having to carry a bunch of carts along with the console) is much preferable.

Same as OP I only have Zelda in physical form so far. Haven't needed an SD card yet. By the time I need one I hope Nintendo will have improved the storage management, I want to be able to have full control over which game is stored on internal vs. SD card.

andthebeatgoeson

Perfect. I bought a 200 gb card but haven't needed it yet. Not switching cards is a great way to go. I'm used to digital now: steam, phone and apps. Even music is digital.

I'm not going back. I'm old with a stable job and can't stand gamespot. So i have no use to sell things for money. The ease of use is amazing, having all your content right there.

I just hope companies don't keep prices high, like airlines and their gas fees.

So far so good. Only have Zelda and a few demos. We will see how it changes after I pickup a few larger games. Got a 128GB sd card so it will fill up fairly quick.

selo

Same as OP, I just have the cartridge for Zelda (since I wasn't sure the game would be available to buy digitally day 1), but I've purchased fast rmx, mk8DE, nba playgrounds and Im at around 160/200 GB on my SD Card.

I'm also planning on getting all the future games digitally, its more convenient, but I guess in about a year my SD card will be full :/ and we need some sort of utility to handle save games/downloads/backups

JoeM86

I'm going physical with single player focused titles and download with the more multiplayer ones. That way, I can always have them on me. So many times I've been in queues at events and wanted to play a game with friends, only for me to have not bought my 3DS carts

No more

Protome

I've picked up Mario Kart and Zelda physically so far. No real reason why I got those physically and not others, just kinda worked out that way.

I would be more inclined to go all digital on a disc based system. The tiny cards, no spinning discs, similar load times... doesn't seem entirely worth it on Switch.

For me it's a case of me liking to have all my games with me for a portable system which is just easier with digital games.

Amazing. Switching from Zelda, to Snipperclips, to FAST RMX, to Mario Kart. It's the most convenient console ever made, and I'm finding myself playing way more games than I have for years.

I'll never say it's good until I have access to cloud backups for my digital saves. Until then it's serviceable.

Really hope purchases are tied to my Nintendo ID and I don't have to re-buy games if I break my switch and purchase another one.

Given how much a pain in the ass constantly swapping game carts would be especially if I'm playing in bed (where I do during the week) and gotta get up and go get the game I want to play in the living room? Nah. Digital.

Top Bottom