• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that went digital on the Switch, how is it going nearly 3 months after?

I'm loving it! I usually prefer physical but with the Switch I'm mostly digital, and the convenience of being able to switch games whenever and wherever I am is bliss. I'll still go physical on occasion though for the big SP games (BOTW, Odyssey, etc)

Shizza

I love it! On previous consoles I would put a game in and play that until I was ready to move on to the next one, but having my full library on the system makes it real easy to jump between games for multiple shorter sessions.

---

I started going all digital recently, beginning with my PS3 about a year or so ago, picking up digital games as they went on sale, and selling off the physical copies.

Then on PS4 and Switch I have only been buying digital.

The real challenge would be converting my Wii & Wii U games to digital - but I'm kinda waiting to see what all gets ported to the Switch and/or digital sales, before I end up doing this.

One of the reasons I haven't bought a Switch yet.

Not enough damn space included as I'd go all Digital (can't be arsed carrying carts around) and the thought of having to very quickly buy an additional SD card (might even need a 256gb eventually), just added another stumbling block to my reasoning to buy one at the moment.

brainpann

Its perfect and glad I went digital. Digital on handgelds just makes tge most sense to me for the convience.

Had Sony not tried ti cash in so hard on memory cards, I would have done the same for my Vita. The Switch really shows how much of a missed opportunity the Vita was for Sony and Im saying this as someone who loves the Vita.

I'll never say it's good until I have access to cloud backups for my digital saves. Until then it's serviceable.

Really hope purchases are tied to my Nintendo ID and I don't have to re-buy games if I break my switch and purchase another one.

Given how much a pain in the ass constantly swapping game carts would be especially if I'm playing in bed (where I do during the week) and gotta get up and go get the game I want to play in the living room? Nah. Digital.

Your saves are stuck on the system regardless of digital or physical.

And yes, purchases are tied to your account.

I've been all digital with Switch and I love it. This is the perfect system for it. Having everything on the system and only carrying that around is great.

AColdDay

I bought physical copies of 12 Switch and Zelda, and I'm wishing I had just gotten Zelda digitally. I learned from that and bought Puyo Puyo and MK8D digitally and it is fantastic to be able to play either of those games at a moment's notice.

Listonosh

I bought almost every big game except for Zelda digitally, and I still have 162GB left on the 200GB card. Helps that the games aren't really all that big.

Atolm

I bought the Switch 2 weeks ago. Full digital for now, I have Zelda, MK8D and Fast RMX and it's fine. I need a 128GB SD card though.

With games like MK8 and Splatoon, which I'll be playing for years to come in short bursts, digital feels the most convenient choice.

200 gig card and no worries. Only hard copies I have are Zelda and Issac. I was sick of switching carts so I bought BOI on digital so I guess that is double dip for convenience.

I have been 99% physical, but I have to admit that card switching is leading me to not want to switch between games because it can be a pain. I love the physical copies and the prices (Best Buy GCU), but if I got similar prices, I would probably go all digital :/

I bought an SD card but I'm all physical so far. I feel like if I go all digital I can't let anyone borrow games, or I'll be tempted to do the same thing with steam, buy more games than I can play and leave them all untouched.

It sort of sucks!

I got this neat Sheikah slate case with nothing in it :(

Only have Zelda physical and that's always in the system (although I wish I had it digital as well) Mario Kart digital is perfect for a few laps and as others have mentioned continuing this route for multiplayer games might be the way to go.

I may have to switch to physical for games eventually just to get some use out of these tabs.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've done the same as the OP. Zelda physical, everything else since digital. But that's just because the other games where either digital only or things I'll play off an on longterm that I like having physical.

Things like Zelda, Mario etc. that I'll want to eventually sell after being done with I'll always get physical both for the ability to sell and the 20% GCU discount making it an even better deal.

For the digital games so far I've got: MK8 Deluxe, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Binding of Issac, Blaster Master Zero, Kamiko, and Shovel Night (the bundle). No complaints so far. Just have a 128gb card, but should be plenty as I'll delete the digital only ones when done with them.

entremet

Not enough damn space included as I'd go all Digital (can't be arsed carrying carts around) and the thought of having to very quickly buy an additional SD card (might even need a 256gb eventually), just added another stumbling block to my reasoning to buy one at the moment.

Games aren't that big thankfully.

Whenever I start downloading titles it's going to be digital-only stuff, indies,VC titles. Major titles that I can get physically( Zelda, Metroid, Mario etc) I'll get that way. I have one of the Zelda special edition cases and I'm going to fill it with physical games eventually( right now I have Zelda and MK8D).

JakeD

First time going all digital ever... was able to fit botw, mk8 and 4 or 5 smaller games on the internal memory, and only recently had to spend $45 on a 128 microsd for Minecraft. The extra money stung less because it came almost 3 months later. I love having every game at my fingertips without a bulky case. I should add I don't yet have much experience actually playing games off the SD...

I didn't even mean to go all digital, it was pretty much due to Amazon screwing up both my botw and mk8 preorders.

ViolentP

I'm usually an all digital consumer but it's a weird hybrid on the Switch. I own Zelda and Disgaea physically but everything else is digital. Not a fan of Nintendo's digital model thus far which is why I went this route, but old habits die hard I guess.

So, what ever happened to the Nintendo Rewards program? Wasn't it digital only too?

The Nintendo points thing? It applies to physical as well. There is a menu option that will register your game for you.

antibolo

Banned

You're overthinking it, games aren't that big and SD cards are cheap.

One of the most exaggerated "problems" on GAF.

Went physical with Botw, and went digital with mk8 deluxe(downloading it tonight actually) I'm going digital with all multiplayer games and probably physical for all the single player ones(xeno2, odyssey, etc). I'm holding off on the micro SD cards as long as I can to get a sweet deal in 256GB ones.

Crash331

Digital stores need to be more price competitive before I go solely digital. If I can get a physical copy delivered to my door on release day at 1pm for $47.99, there is no reason I should have to pay $59.99 for a version that doesn't have the physical cost burdens like inventory, shipping, manufacturing, etc.

Including demos, I have eleven slots filled so far. Internal storage hasn't yet been taken up, though it might be if I get attached enough to the Disgaea demo to buy the full game.

I was initially full on with game cards, but I had a day where I thought I dropped Zelda on the street while I had Isaac in the slot. Luckily, it'd just fallen out of my bag in my living room. Now everything gets downloaded, Zelda's always in the system, and I only have to worry about getting a large microsd card by the end of the year, and everything's suddenly far simpler to manage than it used to be.

It's kind of like how everything was much simpler once I put all my Wii games onto a hard drive. I think I'm finally comfortable with never going with removable media again. My experience with Steam last year even further bolsters this feeling.

neilyadig

Going well. Got Zelda on cart, digital everything else on a 128gb SD. I've lost DS carts before so this makes sense for me.

I buy digital codes through Amazon as I currently get 10% off all Amazon purchases with my Amex Blue Cash card (limited 6 month offer), and will be getting 5% off with the Amazon Prime card once that expires.

Omikaru

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have Zelda on card, and I plan to get all the other big single player games on card. But when it comes to games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart, they are going onto my 200gb MicroSD.

I'd prefer if game prices were a little better (I'm in ripoff Britain), but the convenience is superb. I can't wait to have a wealth of pick up and play games installed on my Switch, ready roll at home and on the go.

Struct09

It's great, switching between Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo lately and don't have to worry about swapping the carts. I plan on sticking 100% digital with my Switch.

Wamb0wneD

I will have every Indie and VC game on my 128 gb SD card and everything else physical. should be fine for quite a while like that.

FinalAres

I'm tepid with Zelda, so if I had it physical I reckon I just wouldn't play it. But being able to switch between games quickly, I'm more likely to quickly jump in for an hour or so. It's great.

Arttemis

I only own Zelda and Mario Kart. They both fit on local storage. I'm low on space, but I'll just grab a cheap MicroSD card when I need it.

Mask

Loving it so far, the price can sting a little in the UK, but having everything ready to go without messing around with cartridges is amazing.

Only game I have physical is Zelda, because I had enough points at a supermarket to get it effectively for free, but that's going to stay in the console permanently since everything else will be digital.

DavidDesu

Shame there's not a system where you can copy a game card game on to internal or SD memory so you don't actually need the game card. Each game card could be use unique identifiable codes and simply need linked to a console, and unlinked should you lend it or sell it to someone...

Actually a system that would work with gamecards, maybe less so with discs.. I dunno. Obviously not gonna happen but that would be nice.

I've got Zelda physical but plan on buying everything else right now digital unless it's something I'm not sure about.

I have Zelda, Mario Kart... and now not enough space for Arms.
Time to buy a card but digital is great for a portable, less to think about and carry. Quicker to access your games and quicker load times. Couldn't go back.

The feature to Archive games is really cool too, great idea.

entremet

I have Zelda, Mario Kart... and now not enough space for Arms.
Time to buy a card but digital is great for a portable, less to think about and carry. Quicker to access your games and quicker load times. Couldn't go back.

The feature to Archive games is really cool too, great idea.
Is that just hiding it from the home screen?

True Fire

I was going to go digital, but I bought a Switch bundle with BotW because it was the only console available, and the cases are so attractive that I can't bring myself to go digital only.

brinstar

I got a 200GB card and it's been fine. I've been mostly digital on all my stuff now so this is nothing new for me. I don't want to have to worry about swapping carts bringing my Switch around. It's nice just having everything in one spot. I'll be buying physical games when I'm not 100% sure I'll enjoy them or see a good deal though.

I have a physical copy of Breath of the Wild. Everything else is digital. I'm happy with that decision. I like being able to play anything in my library without having to dig around for card.

Top Bottom