• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is backwards compability?

zMiiChy-

Banned
I've been seeing people comment about Black OPs 2 charting in NPD, so it makes me think : how important is backwards compability, really?

I think all consoles benefit significantly from backwards compability, but I don't think it is vital in today's market.

We can just look at the PS4 and Switch that have no backwards compability whatsoever, and look back at the Wii U, that featured full native backwards compability.

Regardless, I think everyone can agree that Sony needs to address PS1 classics on PS4 at E3, while providing alternatives to PS2 games on PS4(Or improving the current service).

What do you think, GAF?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PS1 classics on PS4

tenor.gif

It's nice, but I didn't buy a new console to play old games.

My first PS3 was backwards compatible and I played, literally, 2 games on it.

Blindy

Without it, I would have never bought an XB1. I never owned an XBOX or XBOX360 so the thought of getting to play the latter's games and not miss out on a good chunk of it's well regarded library made me buy the system for $300 with no qualms at all.

Of course it's not the end all be all reason but definitely a factor in my purchase.

It adds value but holds the hardware back by increasing the cost or making the systems less modern (or both)
The general public doesn't care enough to skip/buy a console, in any case.
Remasters/ports likely do the job better too

It's great in the first year of a new console when the big bangers are few and far between.

After that? I already have a backlog of NEW games to play, no time to go back to play old games.

TheMoon

it'll be all the rage again soon once everything can properly emulate everything else. we're in a shit spot due to the big architect shift. that x1 managed to squeeze it in to the degree that it did is pretty remarkable.

Its easy to ignore if no one has it but its a massive feather in the cap of whoever can pull it off.

Especially in a world of digital distribution. You know your Xbox stuff will still be playable on new hardware next gen. Cant say the same for Nintendo or Sony. Thats a big deal.

I think the more invested you are in an ecosystem, the more important it becomes.

So for example, if someone is looking to buy a new console and has a ton of 360 games (that they still like playing), then the Xbox One will probably look more enticing to that person because they will be able to play many of those old games on it.

To new buyers though? Not much if at all.

Podge293

In previous generations I don't think it was as important. However with online multiplayer, and games still having an online community, I think it's a lot more important

knitoe

It adds PR "value" checkbox, but if it makes the the device cost more and/or weaker, it needs to be dump. I don't care for backward compatibility. It's hard enough for me to find time playing and finishing recent games.

It's going to be critical to keep people locked into their ecosystems. I'm hesitant to buy PS4 multiplatform games because i know i might have to just rebuy them on PC down the road like i am with my PS3 games.

I love backwards compatibility! I play games because they're fun, I don't care how old they are! To me it's very important.

I have many games from numerous console generations that I can play on my PC or my original consoles.

I guess it's importance is kinda dependent on the person, as some people appear to not be interested in games from a previous console generation.

It's definitely something I want, but I can live without it. I keep my old consoles hooked up anyway, and Vita is the best way to play PS1 games imo.

gamz

I think it's not important if you don't have it. Once you have it there's no going back.

Really that simple.

As for companies building a eco-system it's a must.

This depends on what kind of gamer you are and when you buy that console. I spent most of my time with my BC PS3 I bought in 2016 on Gitaroo Man - but I only owned a PS2 as a kid and therefore that compatibility was super important. Granted, I had it for about a month before I sold it (I really wish I didn't) but there's that.

On a marketing level, in generations prior it wasn't nearly as financially worth doing, but more of a feature to have if possible to get consumers on your new platform and have a wider selection of games to play on said hardware. Now though, Microsoft's implementation of it is seriously a game changer - the ability to continue selling infinite copies of digital games from a generation ago that people really love worked out really well. Nintendo had the opportunity with this for there DS catalog but squandered the 3DSs ability of native DS support. The amount of free money from Pokemon re releases would have been ridiculous. Sony is silly for not adding PS1 support for the PS4 - I mean, they literally need to make a PSP emulator, and you can resell a fuckton of classic games on a platform that sells more than anyone else's. A niche selection maybe, but if your legacy Vita can do it your super popular PS4 should too.

Yazuka

It's semi-important to me, it would be damn great to play all the PS1 titles I've bought digitaly on my PS4. And an even bigger bonus if I could play my discs.
Same with PS2. The old consoles break and in the future it will be harder to play any of the old games you have, so I guess that's why it's important to me.
If nothing happens guess, we'll always have emulation.

mindatlarge

The option is always nice to at least play two generations worth of games on one system. I would really have liked to see PS4 be backwards compatible with PS3 as I have a ton of PS3 games I have yet to play through. The convenience is appreciated when companies go that extra mile.

gwiz210

I think the transition from last gen (PS3/360) to the next consoles was the last time it was excusable to not have backwards compatibility.

Usobuko

Banned
It's super important.

If Switch can plays Wii U games, it will be much higher in my priorities to get one.

Which enthusiastic gamer wants so much consoles under their TV?

Xbudz

If I can have one console that can play 3 generations of games.. that's a win in my eyes.
I love going back to play older titles, especially when it's so easy.

If Xbox gets OG Xbox back compat, my dream will become reality.

Sydle

Now that my digital library is huge it's essential for me. I'm not buying another console that cuts off my digital purchases from a prior generation.

Kayant

As a platform driver it isn't that important(See the lack of visible sales increase of XB1 due to it) in terms of emulating older systems but as future feature for emulating XB1/PS4 for example it is important for pubs/devs because of increase in services games so having a "gen" being reset by the lack of BC could be a big disruption in their recurring revenue.

Personally it is nice but not a big deal as far as consoles.

I recently bought 4 BC games to play on my X1, played each one for a couple of minutes and turned it off to play something newer. To me its only relevant If you can take advantage of BC during the launch of new hardware, since the library isn't that deep initially and you can play a few of the older titles especially with friends that haven't upgraded yet. When you release BC years later on the newer hardware, it becomes pointless to me because the newer hardware's library is substantial and theres less incentive to go back and play older games.

Tamanator

I think I've used my original DS to play GBA games more than DS game. Although I guess backwards compatibility was more important to me when I was younger and had more limited access to consoles. Though Wii backwards compatibility allowed me to lend my Gamecube to my brother indefinitely whilst still having the ability to play my GC games.

Thorrgal

It's great in the first year of a new console when the big bangers are few and far between.

After that? I already have a backlog of NEW games to play, no time to go back to play old games.

Well it may also be important almost 4y into a generation if your first party output is not that great, as shown by last months npd charts :p

As a consumer, it's nice but not an outright necessity; I'm not really the sort of person to sell systems off.

As someone looking to get into the museums sector, it's honestly quite useful for preservation purposes, particularly if the hardware in question is backwards compatible with a less popular system. It's likely going to be a lot easier to find spare parts and salvage for Wii's than it will be for gamecubes.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's nice, but I didn't buy a new console to play old games.

My first PS3 was backwards compatible and I played, literally, 2 games on it.

Same. It would be nice but it never influences my purchasing decision.

LewieP

I think with digital game sales it's more important than ever. Imagine if the Wii U had GC/Wii games downloadable from day one instead of just Wii games down the line. Also baffling that the 3DS will play DS games, but they're not on the eShop.

I bet the Xbox one would be in a way stronger position now if it's 360 BC was available out of the gate. It's a great feature.

gamz

I recently bought 4 BC games to play on my X1, played each one for a couple of minutes and turned it off to play something newer. To me its only relevant If you can take advantage of BC during the launch of new hardware, since the library isn't that deep initially and you can play a few of the older titles especially with friends that haven't upgraded yet. When you release BC years later on the newer hardware, it becomes pointless to me because the newer hardware's library is substantial and theres less incentive to go back and play older games.

Disagree. There's always games from the past you never played and would never get the chance to without BC. I mean look at the sales of Black Ops 2.

Top Bottom