• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is backwards compability?

Conan-san

Not at all really, my PC covers most of what my current set up can't do ether as a remake or as an emulator (Hell, even with the disks I still have)

KageMaru

I think it becomes more important as digital sales grow. It's one thing to not offer it if you can trade or sell your physical collection but that's not possible with digital titles. If any of the big 3 don't offer BC next gen, I'll be far less likely to make digital purchases on their future platforms.

GHG

Gold Member
On consoles the idea is better than the reality. It's a nice option to have but I don't really use it on the Xbox One.

Having said that, I frequently fire up older games on the PC. Mods, framerate, asset quality and graphics options (downsampling!) allow many older titles to feel fresh on the PC whereas that isn't the case with BC on consoles.

For me it's becoming important in the sense that I'm at the stage where the less consoles I have either under the TV( or stored away), the better. Its more practical and desirable for me to have a few devices that can play my back catalog. And with the exception of the snes and genesis, which hit childhood sentimental nerves for me, I have no particular affinity for modern consoles and no issue dropping one for its successor if said successor has BC features. I'd drop my ps3 in a nano-second if the Ps4 was able to play Ps1 titles, the Ps2 digital titles( the ones on Ps3, not the half-ass Ps4 effort) and general PSN content.

Falchion

It's huge. Half the games I play on my One are 360 games and having access to a huge chunk of that library is a big reason I'm Xbox primary.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You mean like the Switch?

oh wait
Dude It's a few months with a start every Nintendo console has...it has room to fail

I think it's important everyone has some way of playing their older games.
Original hardware, PC or actual BC
The perfect world is when the company that makes the hardware support it.

FinalAres

So now I've gone digital, I don't want actual BC. I want to be able to buy and download a good selection of ps1, 2 and 3 games.

Sure I want those purchases to be playable on PS5, but that's it.

Same for Switch. Happy with virtual console, but want the Super Switch to play everything I bought.

MrHoot

There are so many ps2 and ps1 games that, to me, are only available in physical form to this day that to me it's hugely important. I also care alot about the conservation of such games so it would help tremendously if more consoles embraced it. Digitally would be ideal but there's so many hurdles to get a full library constantly running that it seems impossible to go only that route.

The ability to replay Silent Hill 2 for example on any modern playstation console for instance would be great. They lost a bunch of the original code and the remasters are dogshite. Other games like Crisis Core on psp never got ported to the vita due to a licensing issue with ONE song (if i recall). And there's a bunch of other examples like that

rbenchley

BC is a nice to have, but not a need to have. With the fantastic work being done on emulators like Cemu, Dolphin, PCSX2, and RPCS3, I can emulate the older games on my desktop PC and stream to the Steam Link hooked up to my 65" TV.

Catdaddy

More important than I thought, the XB1 is my first Xbox so missed a few games by being a PS guy. But since backward compatibility and the cheap price of the games I may or may not have played on my PS3, it’s nice to be able fire it up on the xbox without having to hook my PS3 back up. Basically, I’ve used it more than I thought I would.

Skyzard

Banned
Extremely important for PC. My library stays with me, my hardware gets better and so do the games.

Simple and essential.

Imagine rebuying the games you like everytime you upgrade hardware lol

Zojirushi

It's great on PC, gives you a good feeling of having everything in one place especially if you factor in emulation.

On consoles I don't really care since I know that sooner or later there's gonna be a jump that "breaks" BC so why even bother in the first place. Just keep your old hardware.

It's important to me in the sense that if I build a sizeable digital library I'd expect to be able to play it whenever I want regardless of how many generations have passed. PC gaming is a blessing in this case. Even if you don't end up playing old games I don't think it's too much to ask that the platform holder offer this option for those that do. Standardize the platform and allow the customer to retain their collections they invested in.

Top Bottom