• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Data East joins Arcade Archives on Switch in Japan, first is Magical Drop 2

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Magical Drop 2 is some good stuff.

Man, Switch's out of the box local co-op is a godsend for rereleases like this.

galvatron

OMG
OMG
OMG

This is my favorite puzzler of all time (yes, part 2).

If this doesn't come over my japanese account is getting back on the system.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Best part is that we'll almost certainly have the option to switch to the superior Japanese version.

Hope Magical Drop III isn't too far behind!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The death of the compilation disc sucks. On Wii you had a collection of Data East games on disc for a low price.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Who owns the licenses of data east?

G-Mode owns most of them (but not all, I'm pretty sure that they don't own Windjammers for example)

Hamster re-released the PS1 Magical Drop games on PS3 in Japan, so it's not terribly surprising to see them re-release the arcade games here.

The death of the compilation disc sucks. On Wii you had a collection of Data East games on disc for a low price.

IIRC, the port of Magical Drop III was garbage in that compilation. I know it had sound issues, at least.

ggx2ac

That's great news.

I'll buy it!

As long as it leads to Magical Drop 3, that's what I am waiting for on Switch.

Ashilyn

Get me Magical Drop 3 on Switch with multiplayer, and I will WILLINGLY fork out full price for it. That game is the best arcade puzzle game ever made and I need it on a modern console.

Yeah it launched at $20.

IIRC, the port of Magical Drop III was garbage in that compilation. I know it had sound issues, at least.

Really? Can anyone else chime in?

I didn't notice anything while playing it.

Perhaps I should get it on the Wii Virtual Console. That has both Magical Drop 2 and 3.

Yukinari

Triothepunch_arcadeflyer.png

WHERE IS IT

WE NEED IT

Redlogic

Saw Data East, immediately thought Robocop....gimme!! Also, semi related, who did Robocop vs Terminator? I loved that game!

ReyVGM

Gougers drive prices up. I paid around $13 for it years ago when nobody wanted it.

Cheapest is 80 bucks for Data East Collection for Wii. I'm gonna buy it since prices will only rise eventually.

It has the only home port of Wizard Fire, so, I think it's worth it:
AuCUkzW.png

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Can anyone else chime in?

I didn't notice anything while playing it.

Perhaps I should get it on the Wii Virtual Console. That has both Magical Drop 2 and 3.

Can't find a video of Data East Arcade Classics MDIII that isn't a blurry mess and/or has distracting commentary. This potato-quality footage should be enough to hear the audio pitch issues, at least:

Arcade Classics
MAME

edit: Added slightly better Arcade Classics vid

jjasso21

Cool, Magical Drop 2 is good stuff. As mentioned by other posters, hopefully we get some more of the games listed.

epmode

Home version of Magical Drop 3 pls (I think the best version was Saturn). Might be my favorite vs puzzle game ever.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I thought a different company owns the rights to Windjammers now?
https://www.giantbomb.com/windjammers/3030-11500/

Intellectual Rights

Following the bankruptcy of Data East in 2003 it is unclear who exactly obtained the intellectual rights to the game. While many of Data East's properties are documented as being sold to G-mode, Inc. however a significant number of Data East's asset went to Paon Corporation, Ltd. which was composed of several members of Data East's staff. Another company also obtained several of Data East's assets however, D4 Enterprise, Inc., who released the game alongside many other Neo Geo games on the Japanese Wii virtual console on June 2010. The game was later delisted from the virtual console service on December 2013, suggesting that the virtual console release was only a temporary license by D4 Enterprise, Inc. which expired resulting in the delisting. This suggests that D4 Enterprise, Inc. are not the property owners of the game. In March 2015, Paon merged with DP Inc. to form Paon DP Inc and so if Paon are the rights holders then one could assume it transferred over with this merger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Get me Magical Drop 3 on Switch with multiplayer, and I will WILLINGLY fork out full price for it. That game is the best arcade puzzle game ever made and I need it on a modern console.

This right here.

Folks praying for Robocop are sure setting themselves up for some disappointment.

Also I wonder if MD2 can make it over to NA without also resorting to the awful, cut-content version enabled in the MVS localization switches.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Who owns Windjammers now? Has that information surfaced now that the PS4 port is a thing?

The bulk of Data East's games are owned by G-Mode, a company that's now owned by Marvelous AQL; Hamster's working with these guys but they've only confirmed support for ACA Neo Geo right now, not the regular ACA series.

Windjammers and several other old Data East games (Karnov, Chelnov/Atomic Runner, Wolf Fang and others) are owned by a company called Paon.

Certain individual Data East games are owned or co-owned by other companies and there are obvious additional licensing issues for games like Captain America and Robocop.

ggx2ac

Also I wonder if MD2 can make it over to NA without also resorting to the awful, cut-content version enabled in the MVS localization switches.

It will probably be like the other Neo Geo games right now on Switch where you can choose the Japanese version of the game at the menu.

Which I would be glad to take since that means I wouldn't have to get the game off the Japan eShop even though that would be fine as well thanks to region free.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'd still love to know why Data East cut so much out of Magical Drop II and III. Like, maybe I could see space being a factor in III since it's a fairly loaded game, but Hirameki Mode in II had zero text that needed to be translated. It probably took more work to remove it than it would have to just leave it alone.

Fiendcode

The bulk of Data East's games are owned by G-Mode, a company that's now owned by Marvelous AQL; Hamster's working with these guys but they've only confirmed support for ACA Neo Geo right now, not the regular ACA series.

Windjammers and several other old Data East games (Karnov, Chelnov/Atomic Runner, Wolf Fang and others) are owned by a company called Paon.

Certain individual Data East games are owned or co-owned by other companies and there are obvious additional licensing issues for games like Captain America and Robocop.
Paon also notably owns Glory of Heracles. Arc System Works owns Jake Hunter, Enterbrain owns Metal Max and D4 owns rights to the Robocop games.

Piccoro

Data East games are nice, but Hamster promised to release Taito games (like The Ninja Warriors) two years ago! They are yet to be seen.
Ever since they extended to Neo Geo games, their releases have been slower... :(

Top Bottom