• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae Half-Genie Hero dances onto the Switch today for $20

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Available both in North America and Europe.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shantae-half-genie-hero-switch

switch_shantaehalfgenmaufr.jpg

switch_shantaehalfgenhaukd.jpg

Shantae embarks on her first full HD adventure! When a mysterious crime wave sweeps Sequin Land, it's up to Half-Genie Hero Shantae to save the day! Use Shantae's devastating Hair-Whip Attack to send monsters flying, or Belly Dance to transform into a more powerful creature form! Topple the masterminds behind each criminal caper and prepare for the ultimate showdown against Shantae's arch nemesis: the bodacious buccaneer Risky Boots!

Key Features:

Feel the beat with over 150 different HD Rumble events!

Shantae's trademark moves return! Dance to transform into all-new and classic creatures, or summon magical attacks! Over a dozen dances to discover in all!

New Relic System allows players to unlock new powers and customize moves for Shantae and her many forms!

Conquer arcade-style action stages that unfold into a full world to explore. Fast action and quest-style exploration rolled into one!

When Shantae's story ends, you're just getting started! DLC Modes introduce new characters, levels, and bosses!

Huge Bosses, humorous dialogue, and the wonderfully weird Shantae cast return, now in fully animated HD!

Price is $19.99

Thoraxes

Gonna wait and see if they go through with a physical version with XSEED before buying this.

But I'll have it on Switch eventually.

If it's gonna run with locked 60fps in handheld mode, I'll purchase it again. The Vita version wasn't that great in terms of performance - at least for me.

ryushe

Should I play the other games in the series, read the books and watch lore videos before playing this?
/s

Seriously though, should I play the previous Shantae's before this one?

me0wish

Better than Pirates Curse? I played that on 3DS during one of the Humble Bundles.

Not nearly as good, but that's only because Pirate Curse was one of the closest games to being perfect imo. Still, I LOVED HGH and thought it was great.

Should I play the other games in the series, read the books and watch lore videos before playing this? /s

Nope, but I still think the story/lore of Shantae to be pretty good. Shantae is the only series that manages to make me literally laugh out loud.

Should I play the other games in the series, read the books a othernd watch lore videos before playing this?
/s

You won't be missing out on anything story wise. The games don't tie in with each other, but the previous entries are worth checking out if you're into 2D platformers. Especially Pirates Curse.

tvpivva

Neo Member
just downloaded it and been playing performance is amazing compared to the vita and ps4/pc versions and the HD rumble is suprisingly amazing which is a nice surprise! Looking forward to getting through it on the switch

Better than Pirates Curse? I played that on 3DS during one of the Humble Bundles.
I enjoyed it way more than Pirate's Curse. But that's because I prefer a more streamlined approach compared to the other games where I had to stop playing and think for a bit before I got back to it.

Plus Half-Genie Hero is getting more content such as more characters with their own story too.

Realeza

Banned
I enjoyed it way more than Pirate's Curse. But that's because I prefer a more streamlined approach compared to the other games where I had to stop playing and think for a bit before I got back to it.

Plus Half-Genie Hero is getting more content such as more characters with their own story too.

Any idea if the DLC is paid or free?

Any idea if the DLC is paid or free?

If you backed the game on kickstarter, the DLC is free

If you did not, you'll have to pay for the DLC

I'm waiting on a "complete edition" with Half-Genie Hero + dlc bundled together before I get it

Sadly, WayForward has specifically stated this version is completely separate from the Kickstarter. We'll have to buy all the DLC.

Well now that's a kick to the face

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Just grabbed it off the UK store.

It runs in 1080p docked and performs much like the PS4 version, as in it's -usually- 60.

It's a little disappointing no backer rewards in this version, but the Vita version just (sadly) became obsolete for playing it on the go ('〜')

If you backed the game on kickstarter, the DLC is free

If you did not, you'll have to pay for the DLC

Sadly, WayForward has specifically stated this version is completely separate from the Kickstarter. We'll have to buy all the DLC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Downloading now. I've been waiting for this port after being disappointed by the PS4 and Vita versions (because of no cross-save and initially, no PSTV support on Vita). Was playing it on PC on my GPD WIN and desktop, but this should run and look better than it does on the WIN and no syncing or cross-saving needed to play on a bigger screen. Sold!

tsab

Will buy once is up on the PAL (web) store

Cool! I have $20 in eShop credit already.

So which should I get: Wonder Boy or Shantae?

I have played all the Shantae games expect this one, and played Wonderboy for about a hour. I would say Shantae and Wonderboy later, but that's just me

OmegaFax

Hows the HD rumble

The HD rumble is surprisingly good in the first 30 minutes I've played. Shantae's dance where she waggles her hips side to side creates vibrations in the left & right Joy-Con. There's more subtle uses that you might not notice at first but will appreciate. When she lands from a jump, there's a very soft vibration.

Overall, it works. It's not intrusive. It fits the game and isn't cranked up to overkill.

BSpot

I beat it on PS4 already, but this would make a FINE Switch game, folks. (Barring any performance issues...)

Opa-Pa

It's an abysmal downgrade from PC but still a decent game, I guess. Go with expectations in check and you should have a good time.

Hopefully it'll sell well thanks to Switch owners so WF can rest easy and start development of the next game relatively soon.

Rmagnus

Banned
It's an abysmal downgrade from PC but still a decent game, I guess. Go with expectations in check and you should have a good time.

Hopefully it'll sell well thanks to Switch owners so WF can rest easy and start development of the next game relatively soon.

Hmm if that's the case I will wait for the pirate curse port. Pirates curse dulex!

Opa-Pa

Yeah I feel kinda bad now lol. As a backer, I thought it was a very mediocre game that happens to have a great soundtrack and look beautiful, but the big majority of people liked a lot...

I think I was one of the like 5 people who disliked it in the OP, so don't take my word for it haha.

Top Bottom