• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJ school under fire for erasing Trump slogans from yearbook

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/11/us/trump-high-school-yearbook/index.html

The "TRUMP: Make America Great Again" lettering on his shirt had been digitally removed.
"He was disappointed. This was the first election he has been interested in," said Grant's father, Joseph Berardo.
Now the school is facing accusations of censorship, and the parents of three students are looking for answers -- and new yearbooks.

School: 'allegations are 'disturbing'
Wall Township Public Schools Superintendent Cheryl Dyer sent a letter to parents on June 9, saying she was investigating the matter.
"There is nothing in our student dress code that would prevent a student from expressing his or her political views and support for a candidate for political office via appropriate clothing. Rather, I applaud students for becoming involved in politics and for participation in our democratic society," she wrote.

Wonder who did it?

MarionCB

Trump will ultimately be more disgraced than Nixon; worse than Benedict Arnold. He will be a byword of corrupt, treasonous idiocy. Let this person have to explain in 20 years why they were a dumbass piece of shit back in the day. Don't try to save them from the shame.

el jacko

There was a guy in my 8th grade class who really liked fantasy & sci-fi fiction and was a talented filmmaker (for a jr highschooler). In our yearbooks we each got to choose our own photos that year and he selected one from a movie he starred in where he's holding a katana. But the katana is obviously fake, and the shot was cut in such a way so that you couldn't see that he was actually holding the sword. Since the book was printed in black and white, the image looked like he had a big black penis resting right on his face.

For some reason, this anecdote immediately came to mind when I read the article.

I can understand removing "grab them by the pussy" but this was our presidents campaign slogan. Unless they had a policy of banning activism in photos I don't think they should censor students arbitrarily.
It's ultimately a slogan that, as a consequence of its actual use, is mostly racist propaganda. Fuck 'em.

Breads

Banned
Schattenjäger;240097121 said:
Wonder who did it?

In my HS the yearbook club was ran by students. All it takes is one kid and a few minutes of photoshop to alter a photo without anyone else noticing.

Got

Banned
oh no, won't someone think of the children.

If this country makes it out of this in one piece he won't want to be known as one of "those" people. Trump supporters are going to look like stains in a decent America down the road.

going to look like stains?

nah, they already are just plain shitstains.

barik

"He was disappointed. This was the first election he has been interested in," said Grant's father, Joseph Berardo.

Hate to break it to you but your kid is either an idiot or a bad person.

MUnited83

For you.
4chan/the_d shitposter detected.

Did him a favor, will save him the embarassment if he ever decides to grow up one day.

Breads

Banned
Hate to break it to you but your kid is either an idiot or a bad person.

They don't think they're bad people.

They think they're protecting their families and lowering their taxes and getting better healthcare and bringing coal jobs back and that Jesus will save them before they drown in the global warming floods.

Eusis

As a policy it probably would be best to just not allow political statements to stay on clothes for year books. They probably already have to remove logos and stuff as is anyway.

And on a personal level, yes, fuck Trump and they likely will be better off in the future without that staying there. Fuck, it'd probably be embarrassing even for a candidate that stood the test of time.

Got

Banned
Schattenjäger;240124613 said:
I wish people would read articles instead of just chirping away
The article says the school had nothing to do with it

alright good on whoever did it, then. my mistake.

at least you responded to something instead of your usual running away from confrontation. youse all grows up.

good

[reminder students don't have a right to free speech at schools]

You are 100% wrong, especially when there was no school policy against it.

Student's speech that is disruptive to learning can be banned. However, if it is not disruptive to the learning and school then it can be done. The supreme court has been fairly clear on that.

Not allowed: Protest of holding a sit-in in the parking lot so no one can get in.

Allowed: Wearing colored armbands to protest some event.

You are 100% wrong, especially when there was no school policy against it.

Student's speech that is disruptive to learning can be banned. However, if it is not disruptive to the learning and school then it can be done. The supreme court has been fairly clear on that.

Not allowed: Protest of holding a sit-in in the parking lot so no one can get in.

Allowed: Wearing colored armbands to protest some event.

Yup. The moment an individual is disruptive to the regular function of that institution or is threatening the safety of others, their freedom of speech rights are no longer valid.

Note:
We are talking about public institutions, not private.

Opto

Banned
whoever did it, they're definitely smarter than the dick-bag kid who was wearing it.

Smarter? I dunno. A righteous troublemaker? Yeah. If a school staff member did it, I'd be very disappointed and they'd be in the wrong, constitutionally.

I'd at least expect a refund and reprint of unaltered copies to all who request.

Who knows, maybe the person who altered the photos will take a bat to the kids who got altered. That will really show them who they should've supported, amirite?

Koomaster

If I were on that yearbook staff, would have been an easy decision to alter the shirt. Course correcting after the fact if there's no policy on stupid shirts. Kid and his parents don't like it? Don't buy a yearbook, start your own propaganda yearbook and sell it.

Top Bottom