• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Exodus is influenced by S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Courtesy of
GameSpot Interview

The devs specifically mention S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has an influence.

Andriy "Prof" Prokhorov, the Creative Director of the game said "The core team has experience with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., we have the same core team. This time it was an ambitious idea, let's try to combine Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R."

Excuse me, I need clean shorts.

1098.gif

As soon as I saw the trailer pan out at the end, and that it was gonna be open world, I instantly knew it'd be STALKER influenced.

Shit is gonna be amazing.

I actually got some STALKER vibes from the trailer. It looked pretty good, and, as a small developer, hopefully they see great success. Although, I'm not a huge fan of either STALKER or Metro. I might pick this up, however, as I feel there is something I'm missing with these games.

kc44135

So, I'm pretty big fan of both prior Metro games, but I've never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. How's it differ? Is it just more open-ended? Should I play it?

Rncewind

Yeah noticed this instantly because walking motion sickness thingy was in

i hope you can toggle this off lol this was bad when i played on pc, needed to configure inis, but aside this great game to gt influced

So, I'm pretty big fan of both prior Metro games, but I've never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. How's it differ? Is it just more open-ended? Should I play it?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Metro games are fairly different in their overall structure, but both have one striking similarity.

They OOZE atmosphere. Metro does it in a controlled narrative sort of way, while S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a much more open world.

If you liked Metro then yes, you should DEFINITELY try out STALKER too.

Arkanius

Best of both worlds.
It's the ultimate cyka blyat

Jokes aside, always I play Metro I wish it had more STALKER gameplay elements, and always I play STALKER I wish it was closer to Metro (shooting mechanics)

And here we are!

Hype

SomTervo

Man you're going to get a lot of replies. The Metro games are great but STALKER are all time classics.

They vary in quite a lot of ways, there are several STALKER games. They're open world in a post-Chernobyl style nuclear wasteland landscape. You're a "stalker", someone who goes into the radiation zones to find "artifacts" and treasure, basically.

They have open ended world and quest design usually. Other stalkers get in fights with other stalkers, mutated creatures get in fights with stalkers, the game goes from intense tactical action in abandoned towns or fields, to full blown horror as you go underground and begin to encounter stranger creatures.

Edit: also has RPG systems like inventory and gear management

Yes, you should play it, if you can hold a bit of jank.The first one and the third one are the ones to play.

It's more open ended, but not fully, isn't GTA or AC. It consists of a series of 'big outdoor levels' that you can travel between them using exit points that connect each other.
The game has different factions and monsters that fight each other dynamically, it's very AI based. And the combat AI is pretty good.
As the player, you have the typical mix of a main quest chain, a series of secondary quests, and free exploration done by the player to get resources (though there are a few more scripted moments here and there). It has a a proper RPG tetris inventory with slots for items and weapons, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

STALKER is quasi open world and agency driven, emphasising general nonlinearity in questing and mission structure (outside of the main quest) and emergent encounters. The tech and design held it back from being true open world, instead a series of large "zones" connected back to back and progressed through as you make your way to the end game. But the playspace of each zone was quite large and littered with secrets and side quests to discover. It still had the claustrophobia of Metro though, namely in the more refined locations like old sewer and subway systems.

Metro is a lot more linear and scripted (2033 in particular over Last Light), more set piece driven, but arguably (at least by Last Light's measurement) more polished in character motion and gunplay. Metro also distributed gear in a more traditional manner to other shooters, with upgrades/buyables at the HUB, meanwhile STALKER had more open world qualities where you could return to barter at hubs more or less any time you wanted, and savaging weapons, armour, and survival gear was a key part of the open landscapes.

I personally prefer the STALKER series as I like the more agency driven emergent nature of the design. I feel it accommodates the sense of survival and discovery, and the terror accompanying both, far better. I'm actually not that big of a fan of 2033 and find it way too aggressively scripted far too often, an issue largely remedied in Last Light.

Expectations for this are now through the roof for me. STALKER 2 would be the one unrealistic gaming dream I have. If they manage to capture that vibe that's would be incredible.

Djostikk

I've always wondered why there's so much hype about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. outside Russia and some European countries.

Also you gonna need mods if you intend to play and enjoy. Games aren't that polished.

EatChildren

Was that really in-game, though?

Overly scripted vertical slice made for presentation purposes I'd say, with graphics and rendering cranked to absolute maximum. That being said the asset quality, lighting, shadows, and effects are not at all unreasonable in my opinion. Not for a game built on a new iteration of 4A's engine and a modern hardware standard. Last Light is still incredibly gorgeous cranked up to max on PC.

Idk, the world seemed too colorful for me.

By influence I'm sure they're mainly referring to the world scope and design, not necessarily the aesthetic.

kc44135

Man you're going to get a lot of replies. The Metro games are great but STALKER are all time classics.

They vary in quite a lot of ways, there are several STALKER games. They're open world in a post-Chernobyl style nuclear wasteland landscape. You're a "stalker", someone who goes into the radiation zones to find "artifacts" and treasure, basically.

They have open ended world and quest design usually. Other stalkers get in fights with other stalkers, mutated creatures get in fights with stalkers, the game goes from intense tactical action in abandoned towns or fields, to full blown horror as you go underground and begin to encounter stranger creatures.

Edit: also has RPG systems like inventory and gear management

Yeah, I won't quote all you guys, but thanks for the responses, y'all. Once I clear up a bit of room in my (rather ridiculous) backlog, I will give these games a chance. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sounds badass.

SomTervo

He says they're satisfied with the result of merging the two...

Yeah, I won't quote all you guys, but thanks for the responses, y'all. Once I clear up a bit of room in my (rather ridiculous) backlog, I will give these games a chance. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sounds badass.

All good - bear in mind they're fairly old games now, so a bit clunky by today's standards.

Mahoossive modding scene though.

Oreoleo

Two of my favorite franchises. If we aren't going to get a new proper STALKER game, I'm more than happy to see Metro carry the torch. I'm all in, just give me a date!

Idk, the world seemed too colorful for me.
Last Light kind of suffered from this too. Moving away from the winter-y setting to the more early-spring kind of look is not my preference, hopefully they can find a way to incorporate a gloomier atmosphere without relegating it to just underground segments.

Two of my favorite franchises. If we aren't going to get a new proper STALKER game, I'm more than happy to see Metro carry the torch. I'm all in, just give me a date!

Last Light kind of suffered from this too. Moving away from the winter-y setting to the more early-spring kind of look is not my preference, hopefully they can find a way to incorporate a gloomier atmosphere without relegating it to just underground segments.

Early-spring look in my games?? Not for me!!

That's a weird preference to have.

I actually got some STALKER vibes from the trailer. It looked pretty good, and, as a small developer, hopefully they see great success. Although, I'm not a huge fan of either STALKER or Metro. I might pick this up, however, as I feel there is something I'm missing with these games.

I had to try a couple of times before I really got into STALKER. Once I used the 'complete' mod the game clicked for me. It's excellent. Slumps a little at the end, but the majority of it is absolutely fantastic.

Seems like a decent evolution. Some people won't like a more open, bright, colourful world but I think it's good that they're trying to move it forward and progress the franchise than re-do the same things

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?

Dev stated game will take during the four seasons, so there'll be both typical gloomy autumn/winter setting and less typical spring/summer post-apocalyptic stuff.

selo

I fear it'll be more 'commercial' (not as "hardcore") than Stalker, since it'll be multiplatform :(. But if they try to be at least somewhat like stalker and less of a straight up shooter, the better

Not game for immersiveness of environment has ever come close to S.T.A.L.K.E.R for me.

I always thought metro was inspired by STALKER but this is the first time they seem to be talking about the gameplay, mechanics and environment. Bring it on.

Was that really in-game, though?

Yes and no. From what I've heard it was the game engine running and what was shown is in the final game (not just a specially made demo for E3) but some things were improved for the demo (Vertical Slice) so it's like a target for them to aim for, so it might not look quite as good in the final version, depending on if they need to tone things down to get it running.

I fear it'll be more 'commercial' (not as "hardcore") than Stalker, since it'll be multiplatform :(. But if they try to be at least somewhat like stalker and less of a straight up shooter, the better

It's kinda inevitable with how the industry has moved​ on. You might be able to hold out hope for a hardcore mode of some kind at least!

AJ_Wings

The game will take pkace across 4 different seasons (meaning 4 seperate maps? I hope so) spanning an entire year of Artyom's & Cos journey to eastern Russia.

I predict lots of variety in environment design.

Oreoleo

Dev stated game will take during the four seasons, so there'll be both typical gloomy autumn/winter setting and less typical spring/summer post-apocalyptic stuff.
Excellent!

Early-spring look in my games?? Not for me!!
That's a weird preference to have.

Not really. Metro 2033 is a borderline horror game, going to the surface never felt safe and the dead winter aesthetic reinforced that. Last Light's surface segments in comparison lacked a lot of that dread in no small part due to the relatively bright setting.

Justinh

Metro Exodus reveal was my favorite part of the show.

This is just gravy. I've actually never finished Stalker, I played it a bit back when it came out, but my PC wasn't good so it ran poorly and I dropped it. Seems like a good time to give the first game another shot.

Top Bottom