• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

Gowans

And one of the things you didn't really show were indie games. You didn't really show any last year, either. Now clearly indie games are coming to PS4 all the time. So why aren't you showing them anymore?

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.

There was a time and a place, in the early stages of the life of PS4, to make statements. It was more about making a statement that we are serious about the indies, and that we are doing this and that with the indies. No Man's Sky and so on and so forth, which broke out from that and carved its own niche. You know, right now, we have tonnes of indie content on the platform. And the fact that we elected, along with many other things such as Gran Turismo and PlayLink, not to give it its own spot on the stage this week, in no way means it is not important, or it is not there, or we don't worry about it. It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now. We have VR to talk about now, for example.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-16-the-e3-interview-playstations-jim-ryan

kulapik

What the fuck is he talking about

Indies are more relevant than they have ever been

What I imagine the rest of Sony's reaction is whenever he speaks
a6PtDLH.gif

Jim Ryan is the "bring out your dead" guy huh. Do not envy him one bit lol

Edit: Seriously, the Undertale reveal was probably my favorite thing out of their entire show

I know he gonna get shit here again but this guy says how the things are.

I can give a honest guy some credit.

But yeah maybe not the best PR answer.

BY2K

Membero Americo
STOP. GIVING. HIM. INTERVIEWS.

EDIT: Ok the full quote is not SO bad. But it's still bad, imo.

jond76

Banned
Classic Jim.

I don't get his reasoning. I went back through the ID@xbox sizzle real and searched YouTube for the games that caught my attention. I'd say that's a win.

FelipeMGM

cmon op, he said a lot of shit, but this headline lol

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.

he is not even wrong here^

dreamfall

edited.

Sony, Shu, Layden - cut this man off. Please. Even if he feels like the format to showcase indies is lacking, whatever context the quote is pulled from sounds truly awful.

Eolz

"it was good when we had no good exclusives"
Which is not entirely wrong, just not a good way of saying it.

I bet someone knows a terrible secret from him and he's being blackmailed to say all these things.

It's the only logical explanation.

Edit: Oh cmon! that's not what he said...

NYR

Yo, get this fucker away from the press. He is giving Don Mattrick a run for his money. What is up with being the dominant platform in the generation leading to pure arrogance? Be humble in victory.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Someone stop this man

I disagree with his assertion against indie reels. I would imagine if they see an interesting game zoom by, they'll research it.
Better than having no exposure in the conference

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time.

I actually kinda agree with this part. I wish they would focus on some indies and give it proper time.

He's going to get shit on for that last sentence but the full quote isn't really to bad. With that I take my leave cuz y'all about to war in here like every Ryan,phill,Reggie thread

Drencrom

I mean it's an honest answer, getting indies in on board at the start of the generation was important and now that indie devs are actively working and putting out games on the platform it's less relevant to highlight indie games just because they are independently made.

Top Bottom