• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe its just me but that full quote of his doesn't seem all that inflammatory or controversial. That said he could have definitely worded it a bit better as it comes off poorly.

Feels a bit selective (understandably - his quotes are gonna get pulled apart and he should be PR savvy about that, but still).

It just looks like he's saying that Sony have already positioned themselves as supportive of indie games, people know there's lots of indie content on PSN etc., so why do another mashed video of indie content when that argument has already been made when you've got un-established stuff to push like VR? Bit cold but I don't see it as very controversial. It would be controversial if it translated into a reduction of indie content on the store, but that's not the argument - the argument is that people already know that you can go to the PSN and find loads of indie games.

Like I say, dumb to even use the phrase mid-sentence...but in context seems a lot more like he is saying "less relevant now in comparison to these new things we need to push harder".

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
He's half right.

MS doing a quick indie montage video then moving a long is functionally barely better than what Sony and Nintendo did which is nothing at all.

That being said no reason Sony, MS, and Nintendo shouldn't continue to do indie showcases even if they aren't necessarily something made for the E3 big stage.

I hope Damon Baker keeps on doing Nindies directs for Nintendo as an example.
For sure, indie spotlights/directs are the ideal

Full quote makes sense, but I guess just the way he phrased it is bad enough. Everyone latches onto shit like this, and Ryan has already been in the spotlight lately.

Yado

He's right. Nintendo has far less games to announce for the Switch and even then I don't care to see the indie reel during their presentation.

FelipeMGM

I mean maybe but something like The Lsst Night had a extremely distinct visual presence and gets people talking. Or take We Hapoy Few or Cuphead(before it got MS backing).

were those games in a montage? They had big trailers and/or extended demos on stage, its different.

kuYuri

GAF and the internets reaction to PS+ game reveals that includes mostly indie games and no AAA games kind of says a lot. 😏

Yeah the actual full quote is more of him giving an honest and realistic interpretation of why indie games got such a huge showing at E3 2013/2014 for Sony. He's also not wrong in that those sizzle reel montages where games are literally shown for like 3-4 seconds isn't really an effective way of presenting those games to an audience.

There's definitely still a place for them but the majority of people who actively seek out 'indie games' are already aware of the resources they need to seek out information

Dynomutt

Do anybody who is commenting "lol RYAN" here read the full para, cause what he is saying is true for what they are pushing, that is VR now.

No and it doesn't matter this is Neogaf! Jim Ryan waont be able to go to the bathroom with out Gaf looking for a way to dramatize it.

Gaf is turning into Geraldo looking for exciting slips then the whole picture. Gaf is just a bunch of bloodhounds waiting till they smell blood to pounce.

Yeah taking a look at some of the threads over the past 1-2 months people just want to argue/fight create conflict. I guess it's exciting?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just for those who are perhaps unable to fully comprehend someone from England: 'Back then it was relevent to promote Indies because we wanted to make sure they got the credit they deserved. They now HAVE the credit they deserve, we still fully support them and more people appreciate them, so we've moved focus to PSVR.'

I know it's sometimes difficult when you are trying to discredit someone because of something they said before. I understand.

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.
I mean this is pretty accurate. I love indie games, and often prefer them to AAA games but if you're going to just spam five second clips of thirty different games in quick succession you may as well save everyone some time and end three minutes early.

MattAces

This thread is a black and white evidence of people trying to jump into conclusion and get angry about everything VS people who actually read.

Neptonic

What a fucking dipshit, like how stupid is that man. Like I get that they want to push AAA releases, but a lot of people play indie games. Some the most interesting things at Microsoft where smaller titles.

Silly Gaf trying to take down The Ryan.

JimRyan.gif

Nothing wrong with the full quote. All he said was that back when the console was first coming out, it was important to send the message that Sony cared about indie games, which is why they were a larger focus at their shows. Now that they've established that Sony cares about indie games, they feel okay about dedicating more showtime to things like virtual reality.

Once again a tiny quote is cherrypicked from a larger explanation for the thread title and then nobody reads the full quote so everyone loses their shit.

blakep267

were those games in a montage? They had big trailers and/or extended demos on stage, its different.
Cuphead was first in a montage back in 2014 and people were able to match onto it. The last night had a standalone trailer that was maybe a minute long

You can easily spot an interesting game in a montage and tag it for review later on.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I agree with his full quote? They are less important now given the maturity of the platform, its not a need to fill space and add depth to the platform the same way it was in 2013 for them or it is now for the Switch. They're still great to have but its not a priority the way it once was.

Sony PR needs to teach Jim how to be Reggie though. Where he says a lot of stuff but hes actually saying absolutely nothing.

Way to cherrypick a sentence for the title. His whole quote is no where near as bad as that. Actually I would say it isn't that bad at all. He still needs to stop talking though...fuck that dude.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem is Sony isn't exactly doing a separate Sony presentation highlighting indies even if their big E3 show isn't the time.

Instead they are relying on bad PS Blog rolls and shitting out too many PSN games with little fan fare.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Do anybody who is commenting "lol RYAN" here read the full para, cause what he is saying is true for what they are pushing, that is VR now.

Can't say I like his answer, as I fundamentally disagree with his downplaying of indie reel significance. I think they help much more than there not being a showcase at the conference at all.

The problem is Sony isn't exactly doing a separate Sony presentation highlighting indies even if their big E3 show isn't the time.

Instead they are relying on bad PS Blog rolls and shitting out too many PSN games with little fan fare.

This. They should be propping something akin to a direct imo

ChrisD

I understand that they don't just want a reel, and E3 reactions are seemingly kinder to big AAA reveals. Which is why, correct me if I'm wrong, they showed off indie stuff in their pre-show.

Or was it just Undertale? I only saw the last five minutes or so.

see5harp

The same thing is happening to both this dude and Phil Spencer. I suppose I feel bad for them but this is the nature of the job.

Top Bottom