• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

Reading the whole quote I guess it makes sense...probably not something you should say aloud, tho...or at least not in that way

CJY

Banned
He speaks the truth without a filter, which is refreshing. But Sony, please sack this guy, cos he's doing your brand more harm than good; at least put a muzzle on him.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Title doesn't seem to jive with the point of the quote in the post...

Gator86

Dat misleading headline.

Wonder how many people will read just that and not read the content of the post!

Yeah, this isn't especially bad. "We used to really highlight indies so people knew we were serious about them. Now, it's not really required because we have lots of indie support as an integral part of our library."

That's...not really that bad, nor does he disparage indies at any point. Maybe just wait another ten minutes for him to say something actually stupid before going after him.

jediyoshi

It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now. We have VR to talk about now, for example.

I would actually feel better if he literally didn't understand what 'indie' encompasses so this quote made more sense.

Don't agree with him. Sony absolutely should've shown some indies at their show, if just to break the monotony of seeing another third-person action-adventure with foliage everywhere.

Undertale got announced for the PS4 and the Vita during the pre-show. That honestly was a bigger shock than anything shown in the main segment.

Jim is on a roll lately with terrible comments. Those video montages shouldn't be viewed as only existing to make a "statement", they should be to inform gamers of the type of software in the pipeline. Certain games like Cuphead, Night in the Woods or even Rocket League first caught my attention because of their appearance in those sort of montages.

I can't believe how out of touch this man is with his audience, it's deeply concerning if he really does represent Sony's views.

bosh

Mod should edit the headline. Definetly click bait title from OP. Full quote is vastly different message than what the title implies

Do any of you ever read the article before smashing that caps lock button

It is less relevant to talk about because they have more relevant stuff they want to focus on, like VR. He's not saying they're unimportant in any general way.

Peltz

The lack of indies made the show boring for me. The best games on PS4 are by indies.

Rocket League, for example, is my most played PS4 game.

I know he gonna get shit here again but this guy says how the things are.

pretty much.
but he also basically acknowledge this with that quote: "we did not have many high profile first party exclusives and third party partnerships in the past to offer (and show), so we focused on indies - now that changed"

Blobbers

Why the fuck do you show Final Fantasy Fishing over Dissidia or Gran Turismo, that's all I'm asking

Like what could possibly be the reasoning?

muteki

As silly as the headline is I don't feel like it is much of a stretch to go back to past E3 conference threads and find plenty of people complaining about indie montages.

Courage

So indie games only deserved the spotlight when they we wanted to make a statement? I see his logic there but it's still not a good look.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
He's half right.

MS doing a quick indie montage video then moving a long is functionally barely better than what Sony and Nintendo did which is nothing at all.

That being said no reason Sony, MS, and Nintendo shouldn't continue to do indie showcases even if they aren't necessarily something made for the E3 big stage.

I hope Damon Baker keeps on doing Nindies directs for Nintendo as an example.

LiK

This guy is a bit clueless. I know so many people who were a bit disappointed by the lack of indie showcase at the presser. You could do both PSVR AND indies. Games are games.

As silly as it sounds I don't feel like it is much of a stretch to go back to past E3 conference threads and find plenty of people complaining about indie montages.
Psx was named the indie show on here the first two years yet them same ppl in here with the nonsense

Malyse

VR <<<<<< Indies.
Literally every second of the presser spent on VR would have been better if it were showcasing an indie.

kulapik

One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.

He isn't completely wrong about this though, indie reels are pointless because you have no time to know what game is that.

But, you know... You could actually feature those games in a full fledged way

*insert juxtaposed comment thread of people complaining about indie montages at previous shows and indie games showing up on PS+*

No one will read the full quote.

It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now. We have VR to talk about now, for example.

Or the last sentence. I don't think he's saying indies are less irrelevant, but talking about how Sony supports them isn't as important as it was during launch. VR is their hot new commodity, so it takes precedent.

Edit: The internet is the same, so stop acting like GAF is better than every other place.

Mael

This guy works at PR?
With such a stellar job performance lately, he's on the road to land a job in the white house.

vivekTO

Do anybody who is commenting "lol RYAN" here read the full para, cause what he is saying is true for what they are pushing, that is VR now.

Why the fuck do you show Final Fantasy Fishing over Dissidia or Gran Turismo, that's all I'm asking

Like what could possibly be the reasoning?

Yeah, I agree. Actually, maybe dissidia is Square's own fault, they announced it before the E3, but Gran Turismo should have been at the conference.

The whole quote isn't bad and I understand the point he was generally trying to make. At this point exclusive indies won't sell your console past it's current audience, but sony has tons of vr headsets to convince people they need to buy. I imagine if there was a really big indie game they'd highlight it.

KORNdoggy

even based on the thread title you only need to read a "PS+ games of *month*" thread to see he's clearly not that far off base.

He is not wrong since the quote talks about E3 showcase. I kind of agree with him. If I need to see indies, I can just visit PS Blog. At E3, I need my AAA games.

Top Bottom