• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nihon Falcom interested in releasing games on Switch

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dualshockers said:
In a recent interview with DualShockers, Nihon Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo discussed his desire to bring the company’s games to the Switch.

Kondo-san began by commenting on the Switch itself:

“The Nintendo Switch is completely a ‘Nintendo machine’, and that’s a really cool thing.”
Afterwards, he went on to express his interest in bringing the studio’s titles to Nintendo’s console:

“Yea, if the opportunity presents itself, I would definitely like to get Falcom games on the Switch.”
Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-games-nintendo-switch/

sfried

Trials in the Sky Legend of Heroes 1 & 2 for Switch would be perfect!

...Of course more Gurumin doesn't hurt. Actually, this would be a perfect opportunity for them to revive Faxanadu.
Did they not say the same of 3DS back when that launched?
Gurumin eventually got ported to the 3DS. Though having Ys in there wouldn't hurt.

mugwhump

“The Nintendo Switch is completely a ‘Nintendo machine’, and that’s a really cool thing.”

Wasn't this being quoted with the opposite implication by another site earlier? Like when asked about bringing games to switch, he said "I feel the Switch is a very... Nintendo-like device" and then the website quoting him was like UH OHHHH

Ventara

I would love to see this happen. I prefer playing on-the-go and playing some Falcom goodness on the Switch would be amazing.

Did they not say the same of 3DS back when that launched?

Not sure if they did, but I can why it didn't happen what with being 3DS being quite different from the games they have released. I believe it happening on the Switch is much more feasible.

Edit: Whoah, had no idea Gurumin was on the 3DS.

Arzehn

This reads almost like a re-wording of this article from 3 days ago:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/trails-in-the-sky-nihon-falcom-switch-vita-ps4-interview

Calling it an "extremely Nintendo-like" platform, Kondo said that he's excited to play it as a gamer, but that Falcom has nothing in development for it at the moment. Still, they aren't ruling it out. "Should someone on staff bring up an interesting idea or something, we'd be more than happy to entertain it and develop a game for Switch."

But this one claims it's a dualshocker interview?

desmax

Actually, this would be a perfect opportunity for them to revive Faxanadu.

Gurumin eventually got ported to the 3DS. Though having Ys in there wouldn't hurt.

You're getting Tokyo Xanadu 2 and you're gonna like it
You'll really like it, first one is pretty nice from what I hear

Squire

Banned
Kondo told USGamer the Switch was "a very Nintendo console" and said the same thing to a crowd during the Ys panel at AX.

I don't think Falcom is all that interested. I think Kondo is just trying not to be rude or disappoint people that really shouldn't have their hopes up to begin with.

(Not that their games on Switch wouldn't be cool.)

Tohsaka

Doubt it will happen, Falcom hasn't made any games for Nintendo platforms since the SNES.
Interesting. Does this possibly mean Falcom's looking into porting PS2 and Vita games to Switch?

He said in the USGamer interview that they're not working on any Switch games at the moment. Falcom seems pretty focused on PS4, Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu both got enhanced versions for it, and Trails of Cold Steel III is PS4 exclusive.

Moonlight

Banned
I imagine if Nintendo offered a similar degree of support to Falcom as Sony does, they'd probably go for it. I don't see that happening though, so.

pa22word

Doubt it will happen, Falcom hasn't made any games for Nintendo platforms since the SNES.

He said in the USGamer interview that they're not working on any Switch games at the moment.
Falcom's money maker is portable games though. If Sony's done with the market I don't see falcom just bowing out of making games for anything but consoles and pc.

You're getting Tokyo Xanadu 2 and you're gonna like it
You'll really like it, first one is pretty nice from what I hear
Tokyo Xanadu is quite good! I would highly recommend it.

As for Falcom games on Switch, that would be awesome. Not gonna hold my breath, but it would be cool. Maybe they'd let other companies port to the system, like they did with Mastiff and Gurumin 3D.

I'd love to see Falcom's games (especially the Ys games) on the Switch, but Kondo barely said anything there. Not going to expect anything for at least a year.

Falcom's not going to develop for Switch for a long time, if ever, but they're obviously going to support licensors who want to commission/do ports to Switch. Sony's given this company a deal they can't refuse (free/cheap middleware w/consulting and documentation, complimentary Korean/Chinese localizations, etc).

Hey guys, maybe if you buy Zwei II "this summer" and tell XSEED you'd love a Switch port, it could really happen.

Actually, this would be a perfect opportunity for them to revive Faxanadu.
You mean a proper sequel to Xanadu Next, which actually has a sequel hook right at the end and another character with protagonist potential (you meet her early on). I get that more people remember Faxanadu because it was an NES/Famicom cult classic, but Falcom's had plenty of chances to revisit that game and they haven't, so it's safer to assume President Kondo and his colleagues would rather continue what they built in 2005.

This reads almost like a re-wording of this article from 3 days ago

But this one claims it's a dualshocker interview?
Falcom's president has been giving a press tour in California recently as part of his trip to Anime Expo to promote NISA's release of Ys VIII. So he's been asked many similar questions for which he has similar answers. None of the big sites have released their full interviews yet, either.

That has to be the shortest interview I've ever read.
It's only an excerpt.

Right now I'm planning on compiling all these released and upcoming full interviews into a thread, highlighting unique and unusual comments. Kondo's sneaky enough to slip a juicy bit in one interview but not the next.

JB2448

PC/PS4/Switch to get into a wide part of the video game consumer ecosystem would be awesome. I'd be tempted to rebuy the Trails and Ys games (again) for the benefit of portability with minimal compromise.

Falcom makes incredible and underappreciated titles. They deserve to be on every active platform so as many people as possible can give them a shot.

They are not mutually exclusive.

It kind of is for Falcom, whom historically has focused developing games for a single platform at a time.

and that platform has never been a Nintendo one. I think they've developed two Super Famicom games themselves (Popful Mail and Ys V) and that's it. Which is sort of why I didn't interpret the "it's a very Nintendo console" as being very kind. I definitely wouldn't have came to the conclusion this thread has from anything Kondo said at AX

I wish they would post the questions they asked that got the reaction. It could be a very leading question, one that would make it sound like they would never ever touch the system if answered negatively.

Here’s the thing about Falcom - historically they have been very happy for other developers to license their games, so those other developers port the games to the platform of choice. Falcom doesn’t want to do any porting themselves at all, they just want to make original games. I doubt Nintendo would moneyhat Falcom more than Sony has been doing, and Falcom now has a good flow for making games on Sony platforms, so the primary platform isn’t gonna be a Nintendo system anytime soon. But if company XYZ wanted to port a game to Switch or 3DS, they could probably easily get the license to do so.

"If the opportunity presents itself...."

I hate this dev speak. Like what opportunity? The opportunity is there. The system is out and it's presenting itself. Put some games on it. There isn't going to be any more of an "opportunity" than that. You have to decide to make it happen. Unless they are saying they want Nintendo to pay for a port or something which would be a dumb thing to hold out for.

"If the opportunity presents itself...."

I hate this dev speak. Like what opportunity? It's there. System is out. Put some games on it. There isn't going to be any more of an "opportunity" than that. You have to decide to make it happen. Unless they are saying they want Nintendo to pay for a port or something which would be a dumb thing to hold out for.

Falcom has limited manpower. They'd have to either divert resources from other projects (so there's an opportunity cost factor there), or outsource ports (which wouldn't be the first time, but they've had mixed results in the past).

Squire

Banned
Cross-posting from the Kiseki community thread.

So, USGamer has an interview with Kondo running next week. Others will also as NISA had him at AX to do a panel and promote Ys VIII. USG writers mentioned a few interesting things he said on their RPG podcast last week though:

-They do have an ending in mind for Trails
-Falcom has never operated in the red
-something something Switch something something
-They're going as strong as they are because, while the company is small, they all wear many hats and are deeply dedicated to making games

Adding conjecture to this, I think the reason for their smooth operation is that they do make a lot of deals and generally farm out ports and remakes. Kondo isn't going to re-organize for them to make games on Switch in-house, but a publisher that wants versions there is welcome to pay for the code and do it themselves.

Falcom has limited manpower. They'd have to either divert resources from other projects (so there's an opportunity cost factor there), or outsource ports (which wouldn't be the first time, but they've had mixed results in the past).

How is that an opportunity presenting itself? Are you saying they are going to wait until their teams are not doing anything so there's no opportunity cost? Because I doubt that will ever happen. Point is the opportunity is there as much as it will ever be. If they want to do it, they have to make it happen.

Cross-posting from the Kiseki community thread.

Adding conjecture to this, I think the reason for their smooth operation is that they do make a lot of deals and generally farm out ports and remakes. Kondo isn't going to re-organize for them to make games on Switch in-house, but a publisher that wants versions there is welcome to pay for the code and do it themselves.

Which is happening a lot this year actually. XSeed, NISA and Aksys are all doing PC ports of their modern flagship games this year. So I guess it could happen for switch.

If I'm being honest though, I don't really see it happening. I think PS4/PC kinda hits most of the target audience for these games.

How is that an opportunity presenting itself? Are you saying they are going to wait until their teams are not doing anything so there's no opportunity cost? Because I doubt that will ever happen. Point is the opportunity is there as much as it will ever be. If they want to do it, they have to make it happen.

you've kind of answered your own question here.

"When the opportunity presents itself" is the standard response to these sort of questions. It's just bad business to rule anything out publicly, even if you know it will probably never happen or have no active interest in making it happen

Squire

Banned
Which is happening a lot this year actually. XSeed, NISA and Aksys are all doing PC ports of their modern flagship games this year. So I guess it could happen for switch.

If I'm being honest though, I don't really see it happening. I think PS4/PC kinda hits most of the target audience for these games.

Agreed. I think it's too easy to think "obviously Vita fans will convert to Switch." It discounts a ton of variables for both Falcom and the audience themselves.

I respect Falcom a lot as a developer. They make some really excellent Action RPGs. Well, not the walking sim Ys games, but the action packed ones were cool. They are challenging and charming. Something I have yet to see in Western ARPG developers pull off.

Well, in the case of outsourcing ports, an "opportunity" can refer to an interested developer/publisher. That's the sort of thing that would have to "present itself", I suppose.

I don't think Falcom is all that interested. I think Kondo is just trying not to be rude or disappoint people that really shouldn't have their hopes up to begin with.

That was my impression reading between the lines assuming the article is accurate. Feels like a polite response but there seems like little enthusiasm.

Squire

Banned
That was my impression reading between the lines assuming the article is accurate. Feels like a polite response but there seems like little enthusiasm.

There very obviously isn't, I think. He made the "extremely Nintendo console" comment not just in interviews, but in front of an entire panel audience at AX. This isn't something they're playing coy on.

Thoraxes

I know they're a small company and all, but if there was any chance they could bring their games to Switch, i'd welcome them with open arms. It'll be interesting to see how they weigh the opportunity cost between regions though, especially with Kondo mentioning the importance of the overseas markets as something they couldn't really ignore anymore in some of his interviews. PS4 is just a good place for them, with added PC versions in the west.

wrowa

I think the last time Falcom internally developed a game for a Nintendo platform was on the SNES. They apparently even once said that they want to expand the Trails franchise to 3DS and other platforms, but nothing ever came out of that either.

Switch would be a great home for Falcom's games, especially with Falcom abandoning Vita, but I doubt we'll see it happen. They just don't seem to be interested, no matter how successful non-Sony platforms are. They are open to outside developers porting their games though (they might even require their localizing partners to comission the development of a PC port for their western releases), so at best we might see something in that direction if companies like NISA really want to see Falcom's games on Switch. I don't know if Sony actually allows Phyre Engine to be ported to other consoles, though.

Top Bottom