• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Land unveiling - coming 2019 to WDW and Disneyland

From D23:

Unveiling footage

DEqXarXUQAA4H2Y.jpg
Sauce

Sauce

More up-close shots

jett

D-Member
Ironically something like this would be cool if it focused on the prequels, which actually have pretty inventive scenery.

What I'm looking at in those pictures, TFA?

As long as there's a restaurant even remotely like the Mos Eisley Cantina, with actors getting into brawls for the show of it, I'll be happy.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ironically something like this would be cool if it focused on the prequels, which actually have pretty inventive scenery.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be a hodgepodge of different scenery we've become accustomed to from all the films, albeit probably posing as an original location.

As long as there's a restaurant even remotely like the Mos Eisley Cantina, with actors getting into brawls for the show of it, I'll be happy.

I shot first.

Sweet, cant wait. Any details on the attractions?

We know already that there's a Millennium Falcon ride similar to Mission:Space (as in everyone has a job to do), but nothing else yet.

New planet set in the era after ROTJ but before TFA during the rise of both the Resistance and the First Order. Concept art had OT-era stuff, but these shots have First Order Tie Fighters and such.

Dyle

It's a new planet

Wikipedia said:
Walt Disney Imagineering designed the project in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, with Imagineer Scott Trowbridge supervising the project, Asa Kalama and Chris Beatty serving as executive creative directors, and Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo and designer Doug Chiang of Industrial Light & Magic involved as consultants.[10] Together, the team decided to set the lands on a new planet, located within the Outer Rim of the Unknown Regions.[11] Described as a "remote frontier outpost", the unnamed planet has not previously appeared in other media, although it has existed within canon "for thousands and thousands of years."[12][11] The team chose to create a newly designed world instead of using an existing planet from the films such as Tatooine or Hoth, because those locations evoked a pre-existing familiarity with guests, with Trowbridge explaining, "We wanted to build new Star Wars stories, new Star Wars destinations, but this time you could be in that story that required us to go to a new place."

This used to be a vibrant trading port back in the old sub-lightspeed days, but now with advent of hyperspace, its prominence has kind of fallen and faded a little bit which has made it a great spot for those who didn't want to be on that kind of mainstream path. The smugglers, the bounty hunters, the rogue adventurers looking to crew up, the people who don't want to be found — basically all the interesting people.

— Supervising Imagineer Scott Trowbridge describing the featured planet[11]
The development team drew inspiration from real-world locations, including as Istanbul and Morocco, and traveled there to study the architecture, culture, and weather.[13] The team also cited Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the original Star Wars trilogy as a basis for the aesthetic look of the land.[13] The timeline is set after the events of Return of the Jedi, in the years leading up to the sequel trilogy, and will depict the rising presence of both the First Order and the Resistance.[10][12] The Star Wars-themed land will have two new attractions: one will allow riders to control the Millennium Falcon, and the other will place guests into the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance.[14][15] Concept art depicts a full-size Millennium Falcon situated among alien buildings built into tall cliffs.[14] There will also be a version of a cantina.[16] The new planet is designed for guests to begin their own narrative. The Millennium Falcon attraction will feature a "customized secret mission".[17]

The model looks really good. I didn't realize just how expansive this area is going to be, there's a lot more buildings than it looked like in the concept art.

golem

Interesting, this looks like the same ride system that Universal has used for Spiderman, Transformers, etc. Should be interesting to see what Disney is able to do with it. This ride must be the one with the AT-ATs, hopefully it will have a good mix of physical and screen effects.

Transformers 3D and Harry Potter 3D were really impressive to me, despite the projectors looking sort of low resolution. If the new ride one ups those it will be pretty cool.

sphagnum

Banned
goddamn it sphagnum

you know what happens to threads when you mention both those acronyms in the same sentence

We'll just make it about canon talk instead

I can't wait to see this lively new environment that will surely be featured in Doctor Aphra!

golem

So Star Tours 2.0. Fucking fantastic. I guess it'll be a one and done for me- Star Tours makes me feel sick. :(

Sorry to hear you have an issue with these types of rides, the ride should be a mix of real stuff and projected 3d stuff if its going to be like the Universal rides so maybe it will be better? Although Harry Potter apparently caused so many people to throw up they've pulled the 3D from the attraction lol (lots of spinning and disorienting movement mixed with 3D).

Gartooth

Wow I didn't realize the land was going to be that large until seeing that model. There's a ton of rockwork too which probably covers the Battle Escape attraction building.

Looks beautiful, but from afar (even with the 'close-ups') it doesn't scream Star Wars.

Gonna have too see in really in detail to see if it's capturing the feel of SW. They should have found a way to incorporate a GIANT ship or something.

Head's up - this is the Disneyland version, but I'm guessing they're gunna be pretty much identical.

Orlando is going to be larger I assume. Half of the park is under construction, and that's not even counting the parts that have already been converted into SW dedicated space.

Gartooth

Crossing my fingers for more details on the attractions, especially the Battle Escape / First Order ride. The rumors on that one have been absolutely insane.

Orlando is going to be larger I assume. Half of the park is under construction, and that's not even counting the parts that have already been converted into SW dedicated space.

If I remember correctly doesn't Orlando still have tons of untapped land that they can make the park even bigger?

I'm so stupid for not knowing this question because used to live in Orlando (Although Disney is still an hour away where I lived)

NVM, they have tons of land which are 43 square miles of land in Central Florida and CA has some more space they bought last year.

So Star Tours 2.0. Fucking fantastic. I guess it'll be a one and done for me- Star Tours makes me feel sick. :(

Actually rumor/speculation is that this is some kind of weird multilevel thing and you can actually get out of the car.
Also more animatronics than screen so POTC 2.0

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Be careful you don't confuse actors in gross prosthetics fighting in the cantina for a normal afternoon in the Orlando cafeteria.

Falchion

Holy shit this is going to be awesome. Once Star Wars Land and the Tron Lightcycle ride open up, I'm going to be there.

Top Bottom