• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Remake hands-on tidbits

I managed to go hands-on with this today at a convention (Hyper Japan) and thought it'd be worth posting up a few tidbits that might have been missed during E3 where the game, as a remake, didn't really get much of a look-in at all.

Photos/Screenshots here!

-This is a great nostalgia game if you've played the first - it largely feels as you remembered it, but upgraded and refined. It was lovely to see Bros moves return in battle and all the enemy damage seemed as brutal as it did on GBA.

-The title screen intro is adorable, a group of Yoshi sit in a cinema and watch the original game's title animation unfold, only for Mario and Luigi to break through and show something a lot more, well, modern. Reminded me of the opening to Pokemon's Ruby and Sapphire remake where you see the original game's intro on a portable device.

-there's an always available music player in the gallery on the lower screen, this is awesome! Plugged my headphones in and I'm stoked about these arrangements.

-the game looks the part on the 3ds screen but it's not perfect. For some reason sprites don't always appear pixel perfect despite the fixed camera. 3D elements on the overworld also display minor pixel crawl when you move around, which is a bit disappointing, since I assumed the fixed "2D" camera would make, well, a pixel perfect looking game.

-they've messed with how Mario and Luigi defend with their hammers. Previously defending for too long would see the Bros buckle under the weight of their hammers, this no longer happens, making an element of battles easier as there's always a reliable timing window for defending

-For what it's worth, they've also streamlined overworld navigation. You no longer need to micromanage the order by which Mario and Luigi walk in, which was essential to pulling off different moves in different ways. Now all the moves appear in a horizontal banner that you scroll through with L and R, and the game rearranges the Bros for you. I was a bit disappointed by this as I thought it, like the hammer buckling, played a part of the original game's character.

-You can fast forward all dialogue scenes by holding R which is cool. Though the game is pretty terse to begin with in its narrative.

-New Bros moves! Saw Super Bounce Bros, which works on two enemies. All Bros moves have Normal and Easy difficulties.

-The game feels just as tough as I remember, I actually just got a game over because I messed up defending twice and took too much damage. Luigi had fallen and it's still harder/slower to defend if Mario has to grab Luigi while defending.

So yeah, the game brought back some fond memories and it plays well, I just wish some of the more distinctive elements of it weren't streamlined. Especially as there's an easy mode in settings that could have been used for this. Still, if you love a good RPG you won't be disappointed with this. Especially so if you have fond memories of the original, the new presentation and soundtrack are really well done for the most part.

Hope this helps anyone itching for more information on the game! I didn't play Bowser's Minions but I plan to do so tomorrow.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You no longer need to micromanage the order by which Mario and Luigi walk in?

The fuck this kinda ruins the game for me :(

Glass Rebel

Those changes are a bit disappointing to be honest. I have SS on Wii U and already finished it a few times so I'm not sure double dipping is worth it.

Did you get a chance to play that Goomba side-game?

Neat impressions, I will share in the anguish of no more hammer buckling.
Though the overworld move streamlining I can live with.

13ruce

Banned
Nice i am planning on getting this day one loved superstar saga (my first mario rpg ever) but it looks a bit dated compared to the sequels so this remake is great.

Ex-Psych

Dammit Nintendo, why are they so obsessed with making stuff easy.

I could look the other way with the micromanagement but the hammer buckling kind of ruins it.

ramparter

Banned
I keep forgetting this game exists. Sometimes I really wish I could be one of those people who complain about lack of games - I honestly don't blame them - I can barely play one out of like ten games I want to play.

The only Mario & Luigi I played was Partner in Time. Liked it a lot initially bet kept getting boring as I was progressing, eventually I dropped it almost at the end. I keep hearing this one is much better.

Shiggy

-they've messed with how Mario and Luigi defend with their hammers. Previously defending for too long would see the Bros buckle under the weight of their hammers, this no longer happens, making an element of battles easier as there's always a reliable timing window for defending

Could it be that the demo was set to the new easy mode?

I can't remember for sure but was the hammer thing changed from Dream Team onwards? I don't think double jumping was in the original Superstar Saga either (never played it) so it looks like they're pulling some things from the newer games.

I remember someone mentioning it at E3, but is the game 60 fps?

Interesting impressions, thanks for those. I'm not so sure I like the changes you mentioned they made. Micromanaging the order the Bros. walk in was a major part of overworld navigation, so I'm not sure whether that's a QoL improvement or something that fundamentally changes the overworld for the worse. Hopefully it's the former.

The hammer thing just screams "Let's make this game easier" just for the heck of it. Maybe they did that to make it more consistent with the newer games?

More than anything though I hope remastering this game has shown AlphaDream what made these games special in the first place, so their next title will be more M&L Superstar Saga / Bowser's Inside Story and less M&L Dream Team / Paper Jam.

Maybe Miyamoto was asked for opinions on what to change.

Paper Mario SS came about from Nintendo listening to user feedback via club Nintendo surveys, so basically like focus group testing or design by committee (broadly).

Miyamoto requesting a change on its own is the opposite of that, surely.

To be clearer on the switching, in the original game you had control over the order by which Mario and Luigi walked in with SELECT and the moves they'd pull off with L and R.

Now the two have been combined, so you pick a move (like spin), then the game will reorder Mario and Luigi to suit. It's basically been streamlined but it definitely feels like you've got less control if you've played the original. The save in the demo had only just reached the BeanBean Castle so they hadn't unlocked the Chuckle area move where Luigi squishes Mario into the ground with his hammer (or was it Mario? It's been 14 years!)

I can't remember for sure but was the hammer thing changed from Dream Team onwards? I don't think double jumping was in the original Superstar Saga either (never played it) so it looks like they're pulling some things from the newer games.

I remember someone mentioning it at E3, but is the game 60 fps?

Yeah, I think it was Dream Team. The hammer feels similar to the last two games in general.

The game is indeed 60fps! No 3D support which makes sense as backgrounds and the camera are 2D and match the original game's camera.

Kinsei

Banned
So you can't have Luigi in the lead and do regular jumps? That really sucks. The ability to switch the leader at will was something I really liked and I've always been sad that it was only in the original SS.

To be clearer on the switching, in the original game you had control over the order by which Mario and Luigi walked in with SELECT and the moves they'd pull off with L and R.

Now the two have been combined, so you pick a move (like spin), then the game will reorder Mario and Luigi to suit. It's basically been streamlined but it definitely feels like you've got less control if you've played the original.
Ya'll are crazy, this is a good thing. Blows my mind how people always find things to whine about.

Ridley327

Ya'll are crazy, this is a good thing. Blows my mind how people always find things to whine about.

Yeah, I'm not really sure this counts as having less control, as having Luigi in the lead did absolutely nothing for the gameplay itself.

Hammers no longer buckling on defense? Sure, that's worth concern. Needing less buttons to perform the same functionality for the environmental puzzles? Not even a blip on the radar.

Hybris

The final boss was insane. Something you'd be trashed for if you did the same nowadays.

One of the most memorable gaming experiences for me was bashing my head against the wall against that guy. I was 12 when it came out (I think) and man did it feel good when I beat it. I recently replayed the game though and I didn't have any difficulty at all with it, so I kinda get the feeling I was just bad at games then.

Yeah, I'm not really sure this counts as having less control, as having Luigi in the lead did absolutely nothing for the gameplay itself.

Hammers no longer buckling on defense? Sure, that's worth concern. Needing less buttons to perform the same functionality for the environmental puzzles? Not even a blip on the radar.

But:

So you can't have Luigi in the lead and do regular jumps? That really sucks. The ability to switch the leader at will was something I really liked and I've always been sad that it was only in the original SS.

I mean, it's not a thing anyone who never played the game will notice, but it's one of those mechanics that you end up messing with just to make traversal a bit more fun.

The music player sounds like a great addition. The music was always good if I recall correctly.

Glad I held off on the WiiU VC version and gonna play this when it comes out.

Played some more of this, you can fast forward cutscenes and all dialogue scenes by holding R which is cool, though the game is pretty terse to begin with in its narrative.

Also: New Bros moves! Saw Super Bounce Bros, which works on two enemies. All Bros moves have Normal and Easy difficulties.

The game feels just as tough as I remember, I actually just got a game over because I messed up defending twice and took too much damage. Luigi had fallen and it's still harder/slower to defend if Mario has to grab Luigi while defending.

RagnarokX

But:

I mean, it's not a thing anyone who never played the game will notice, but it's one of those mechanics that you end up messing with just to make traversal a bit more fun.

But the OP said that Mario and Luigi are reordered based on the move you selected. That doesn't imply that you can't just run around with Luigi in the lead, just that you have to have one of Luigi's moves selected to do so. People should ask the OP if that's the case instead of just making assumptions.

But the OP said that Mario and Luigi are reordered based on the move you selected. That doesn't imply that you can't just run around with Luigi in the lead, just that you have to have one of Luigi's moves selected to do so. People should ask the OP if that's the case instead of just making assumptions.

Yeah, this is true, you can still run around with Luigi in the lead, but that's not the configuration you get when you select "Jump" with L and R (or the touchscreen).

I need to see what the new things are they've added, apart from just the graphical and gameplay tweaks.

I rebought the GBA game a while ago and thought it still looked and played perfectly great.

I probably would have bought this if it had stereoscopic 3D (hate that less and less 3DS games are doing that as it's winding down) since the past 3DS Mario and Luigi games look really good with the 3D on.

Unless the new content ends up being pretty substantial, I think it would just make more sense to buy the Luigi Dream Team one instead, since I barely played it much before selling it to have enough credit to buy some other game I wanted more. It's the only one I haven't played through, so it would make more sense to get that one over this.

RagnarokX

I need to see what the new things are they've added, apart from just the graphical and gameplay tweaks.

I rebought the GBA game a while ago and thought it still looked and played perfectly great.

I probably would have bought this if it had stereoscopic 3D (hate that less and less 3DS games are doing that as it's winding down) since the past 3DS Mario and Luigi games look really good with the 3D on.

Unless the new content ends up being pretty substantial, I think it would just make more sense to buy the Luigi Dream Team one instead, since I barely played it much before selling it to have enough credit to buy some other game I wanted more. It's the only one I haven't played through, so it would make more sense to get that one over this.
That Bowser's Minions game it comes with seems like it will be pretty substantial.

That Bowser's Minions game it comes with seems like it will be pretty substantial.
That's my hope, I guess I haven't heard impressions if it yet to get an idea of it.

From the description it sounded like it could either be a sizable little side story which I'm definitely hoping for.

Edit: Actually from reading the description if it, they say it's nearly as long as the main campaign! We'll see if that's accurate when reviews start coming out, but even if it's shorter that does sound pretty beefy for new content.

RagnarokX

That's my hope, I guess I haven't heard impressions if it yet to get an idea of it.

From the description it sounded like it could either be a sizable little side story which I'm definitely hoping for.

It's an entirely separate game mode with its own battle mechanics. I can't imagine them making a whole battle system for something too small. The tactic is reminiscent of when they ported ALttP to GBA and added Four Swords.

Got some photos of the game in action. The backgrounds are really well done, they look like the places you remember structurally but with a much richer colour palette and more detail. Check out all the little items adorning the Mario Bros.' house for example, or the dank feel inside the Koopa Cruiser:

Yeg1WAN.jpg

pEwFIa0.jpg

aXZQP3k.jpg

VossIrM.jpg

KcsmKBh.jpg

cFxteBF.jpg

U7KdzKK.jpg

New Bros Moves:
dlpiZLd.jpg

Music Player:
q34dbId.jpg

NK4U9b5.jpg

How action icons work:
D632vWp.jpg

8UjXwFX.jpg

vp7ORlh.jpg

OCgzi7t.jpg

Thanks! Shame there's no way to do direct capture at events, but I'm glad the rep didn't mind me taking photos (and plugging in my earphones to listen to that amazing new Shimomura soundtrack).

Game looks even better on the 3DS's screen.

MrBadger

I'll hopefully be getting a chance to play it tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs from the original.

I think Super Bounce Bros is just Bounce Bros Adv w/a new name

I hope there's new Bros. moves though, SS's haven't been topped by any of the other M&L games

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bought a used GBA cart way back in 2005 but I never got more than halfway through the game. Excited to check it out again. Got it and the two amiibo that are releasing alongside it pre-ordered.

Top Bottom