• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura on Kingdom Hearts 3's development and DLC

3260825-screen+shot+2017-07-16+at+8.36.15+pm.png

Gamespot had an interview with Nomura on KH3.

On why it's taken so long.
”A lot of people have been mentioning and making it sound like ‘Oh, Nomura's taking too much time,' and it hurts,” Nomura said, through a translator. He explained that the decision was made above his head to switch development to Unreal Engine 4 after about a year of development, which caused extensive delays. In addition, certain timing and resources challenges within Square Enix had an effect.

”There was a decision made to change to an external [engine]...Unreal Engine 4," he said. ”So we switched over to that. Unfortunately there was a bit of time that needed to be rewinded and started over. So there was a bit of a setback there, but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable."

He was keen to emphasize that it hasn't been problems with development or any choices made by him or his team that have caused Kingdom Hearts 3 to take so long. ”I wanted to emphasize that it wasn't a problem on our development teams," he said. "It just happened that way, and there were some decisions that the company had to make, and it just didn't work out for certain timings that we were hoping to hit."

”It's kind of out of my hands," he added. ”I mean, yes, time has passed. But it's out of my hands."

When it comes to leaving Disney Worlds as a surprise.
Speaking of the game's various Disney-themed worlds, of which Toy Story is just the latest to be revealed, Nomura said they likely won't be saving any as a surprise for players to discover on their own. ”I don't think we'll be keeping any worlds secret until the game is released. I think we will be introducing them leading up to launch," he said. ”Nowadays games can add content on after the fact through DLC content, so there's no need to hide any worlds."

On DLC
That of course begged the question: Are they already planning downloadable content for Kingdom Hearts 3? ”Nothing is set in stone, and I'm afraid we can't go into details, but I have told the team: Just be prepared to be able to accommodate for something like that," Nomura said. ”We can't suddenly develop a system where we're accommodating for downloadable content. So it's not confirming or denying either way, but just so that the development team will be prepared, I have informed them of making the preparations."

More at the link: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kingdom-hearts-3-director-tetsuya-nomura-explains-/1100-6451732/

raven777

Nomura tired of him getting all the blame :p
but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable.
the company makes the decisions, so unfortunately sometimes it is out of my control
It just happened that way, and there were some decisions that the company had to make, and it just didn’t work out for certain timings that we were hoping to hit
“It’s kind of out of my hands,” he added. “I mean, yes, time has passed. But it’s out of my hands.”

JayEH

Of course there will be DLC. KH has always had "DLC" with the final mix versions.

I don't like that he's saying they will announce all the worlds before launch. Will have to go media blackout soon.

Feep

Banned
Yeah, why leave the joy of discovering new, unknown things to the player?

Admittedly we could try to go on media blackout, but this is a high-profile game. It's tough to avoid.

Of course there will be DLC. KH has always had "DLC" with the final mix versions.

I don't like that he's saying they will announce all the worlds before launch. Will have to go media blackout soon.

They always announce all of the Disney worlds before the game coming out.

Oh i wasn't aware. 2.8 was the first time I played a KH game at launch. Still a dumb decision imo.

Disney is a strong force that will surely sell more copies, it builds tons of hype. I think it's fair of them do this.

Some original worlds are kept in secret though. Like End of the World in KH I or The World That Never Was in II and 3D.

Yeah, why leave the joy of discovering new, unknown things to the player?

Admittedly we could try to go on media blackout, but this is a high-profile game. It's tough to avoid.

And miss out on all that potential marketing and milking? Just look at the effect the Toy Story reveal has had so far, it's been reinvigorating the excitement for this game. This is why they'd always show off all (the disney) worlds in the game prior to release.

CheckMate

I am honestly scared this game won't have that many worlds as the pervious games.

Making one already looks like a pain.

duckroll

Edgy Nomura is back. I remember these interviews the best. Like when he said Advent Children wasn't on BD yet because there isn't enough installed base for it. And how he was filled with BURNING ANGER to express in KH3 after getting kicked off XV. Now we have him giving interviews about how the Xbox doesn't really matter, and how delays in KH3 are the company's fault! Ooooh yeah!!!

Strings

Kingdom Hearts is actually one of the few series where I think DLC would integrate extremely well. From new Colosseum tournaments, to worlds, costumes, characters, etc. It's level-based enough to slot in nicely.

chefbags

Edgy Nomura is back. I remember these interviews the best. Like when he said Advent Children wasn't on BD yet because there isn't enough installed base for it. And how he was filled with BURNING ANGER to express in KH3 after getting kicked off XV. Now we have him giving interviews about how the Xbox doesn't really matter, and how delays in KH3 are the company's fault! Ooooh yeah!!!

THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAS NOMURA'S BURNING ANGER.

Prompto

Banned
Sounds like there might be less worlds in 3:

“Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be our first full HD game in our current console generation,” he continued. “It does involve a lot of bandwidth and resources in order to create in full HD, so our directive was to have as many elements [as possible] of gameplay included in one single world, rather than having multiple different little worlds with few elements. We wanted to pack in as many gameplay elements and fun into a single world.”

“If we are able to accomplish everything that we did plan out for, I’m pretty confident that people will enjoy and be fully satisfied with the end product,” he finished.

”We had a plan of the period that it's going to take for us to create the content at the start of the project, and we laid out, after such and such years, we would need to add more personnel resources," he said. ”We had submitted it to our headquarters and had it approved, but internal personnel is very limited, and there are various different projects that happen within our company, so unfortunately timing did not work out. So we had to make due with the timing that was appropriate for the company...the company makes the decisions, so unfortunately sometimes it is out of my control."

So if I understood correctly, they wanted to add more people to the team since it takes a lot of resources to develop it, the request was approved, but since S-E has so many projects in development they couldn't add much more personnel at the time, which caused more delays.

They have been hiring specifically for KH3 for a while though, perhaps S-E thought that this was the appropriate timing?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like FF13-2 where they sell colosseum DLC with cameos from FF and Disney. Probably more FF than Disney if I had to guess, just because they don't have to voice a lot of them.

Sounds like there might be less worlds in 3:

Yeah going by what he's said and what we've seen through trailers there will be less worlds but they'll be much larger and take longer to complete. Olympus alone looks massive with plenty of varied areas. We can also assume every Disney World will have a story made for the game since Hercules, Toy Story and Big Hero 6 are all original.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I look forward to his 2019 interview about why Toriyama will be taking over FF7R for him.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Less worlds, more content seems reasonable because they would eventually run out of worlds to use and revisit.

Keep it to things that can round off the story, stay fresh and new and still feel like a reasonable amount.

I look forward to his 2019 interview about why Toriyama will taking over FF7R for him.

THAT'S QUITE ENOUGH

raven777

Edgy Nomura is the best Nomura :p

Inuhanyou

The company just went under the bus lol.

I feel very confident he ships this game and retires ASAP.

He's not leaving anywhere until FF7R is done. That's not a prediction that's me saying i'll go to Japan and block the entrance of SE's offices with a barricade

Strings

The company just went under the bus lol.

I feel very confident he ships this game and retires ASAP.

Lol, no way. The guy takes ages to get projects out, but from all accounts he's a serious workaholic. At worst, he'll go the Ito route and dedicate his life to janitorial duties.

Inuhanyou

hm, in long run UE4 might be the better choice though I wonder

If they got stuck waiting for the programmers knowledgeable in luminous engine to be taken off of FF15(since we know that's where they were all assigned) we would likely be waiting until 2020 or even later. It may have taken them time to get reoriented, but it allowed them to continue working much faster.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did this really happen? Link please.

I'd be nice if there was a Gaf street rule about not putting worlds in thread titles. The worlds are the biggest spoiler for me for a Kingdom Hearts game. If the rest are anything like Toy Story, omae wa mou shindeiru

Inuhanyou

Did this really happen? Link please.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...ng-his-burning-anger-into-kingdom-hearts-iii/

Yeah...nomura was not happy about his brainchild being taken out of his hands. But it was better this way even if FF15 as a final product was disappointing IMO.

Nobody can reasonably juggle 3 different huge projects as a director, even if Tai yasue is the day to day real director of KH3.

*EDIT*

Damn some people work fast, all within a minute

Still shouldn't have waited as long as he/they did for KH3.
My ass was 12 when KH1 released, 15 when KH2 released... Im going to be 28 when this releases next year.

antonz

So if I understood correctly, they wanted to add more people to the team since it takes a lot of resources to develop it, the request was approved, but since S-E has so many projects in development they couldn't add much more personnel at the time, which caused more delays.

They have been hiring specifically for KH3 for a while though, perhaps S-E thought that this was the appropriate timing?

Its an issue the DQ team brought up as well. Manpower wise SE does not have he extra manpower around. In DQ case its why Switch version is coming after Launch because SE didn't have extra people to develop a 3rd platform at the same time.

SE like others are trying to be as fiscally responsible as they can on costs and in the end development resources cost a lot of money

Trago

“It’s kind of out of my hands,” he added. “I mean, yes, time has passed. But it’s out of my hands.”

HAHAHAHAHA! Really?

Alright Nomura, Imma give you this one, but your track record is looking kinda shady!

On a more serious note, maybe he should consider not heading up a bajillion projects at once? Dude himself even said that he's got less energy than he did a long time ago.

Reel it in man. Pop the vitamins and maybe oversee one project at a time.

Inuhanyou

Still shouldn't have waited as long as he/they did for KH3.
My ass was 12 when KH1 released, 15 when KH2 released... Im going to be 28 when this releases next year.

It was impossible for KH3 to be made by SE in the 7th gen. That's just how messed up SE was at the time. Its not a matter of a director wanting to make it or not, and even then Nomura was not in the mind of doing that at the time because the company was not in the right state either

Top Bottom