• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura doesn't know why fans Sephiroth so attractive

Draugoth

Gold Member
z2fxx8VpPisBLfyjaYd8d5-970-80.jpg.webp

Speaking to Shack News, (via GamesRadar) the veteran developer is asked how the Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth team approached Sephiroth's design regarding story and gameplay and how you present him as a hero of the time.

Nomura starts by saying that Sephiroth is a more prominent presence this time; "much more so than the original title." While Nomura also remarks that he's a character who "really moves the story along in a very immense and impactful way," he stops short there, saying you'll need to play Rebirth to see what that's all about.

With that cleared out of the way, Nomura ponders what makes the tall, long-haired bad boy so desirable to fans.

As far as Sephiroth being this extremely popular character, frankly, I'm very curious as to what makes him so attractive to users, because I hear this opinion very often," he says. "His appearance, firstly, I'm sure, but also perhaps there is something about his background that brings about a particular appeal to so many of the players that makes him this iconic character. And so, for Rebirth, I would think that besides Cloud, Sephiroth is also a protagonist that we can think of for this title.

Truly, a mystery.

Thabass

Fans appreciate a good long sword.
I do appreciate how long it is, but like I'm a big fan of Katana's and always have been. Samurai's have always been pretty interesting to me and Sephiroth is basically a hi-tech Samurai (in my opinion). I think for me, Sephiroth just looks badass. I have always loved the design of him. His background is really interesting too. Maybe not so much "attractive", but certainly interesting and intriguing.

I think the big thing for me is when I played the original Final Fantasy VII (and this was one of the first FF games for me when I started playing them in 2001/2002) is that he was DECIMATING enemies when "Cloud" was level 1 in the flashback. That's what really stood out for me. Sephiroth also couldn't be controlled and edited in anyway. He had this mystique to him and seeing him destroy other mobs with one shot normal attacks was just so cool to see.

Sepiroth was the perfect character for the late 90's post-grunge/alt rock antagonists for a lot of 11-14 y/o's at the time and they perpetuated that "coolness" over time until it was forced to stick.

Plus, he's bad ass with that super dope-ass sword.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
One of my favorite GameFAQs shitposts:

Kitaners are the worst swords, historically. No, really. They weren't folded 1000 times to imbue them with magical properties, it's because the steel was so f***ing impure.

Samurai used them as status symbols and peasant execution tools; kitaners weren't really used for combat. Polearms etc were more commonly used in combat.

Kitaners get by on rule of cool. And that's why I can't take sephiroth seriously as a villain

Comandr

Long live LS....
ht0t8kq06u731.gif
Instantly recognizable SunhiLegend gif. His style is so evident.

On topic: I'm sick of Sephiroth. He was a better villain when he was in the shadows. Twisted and unknowable. Like, how did Sephiroth get the Midgar Zolom up that tree? Who knows. But the scene comes off otherworldly, unsettling. And that's effective storytelling. Sometimes you don't need to understand and sympathize with a villain for them to be a good villain.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Instantly recognizable SunhiLegend gif. His style is so evident.

On topic: I'm sick of Sephiroth. He was a better villain when he was in the shadows. Twisted and unknowable. Like, how did Sephiroth get the Midgar Zolom up that tree? Who knows. But the scene comes off otherworldly, unsettling. And that's effective storytelling. Sometimes you don't need to understand and sympathize with a villain for them to be a good villain.
Yeah it was awesome when he was mysterious. When you escape from the prison in Shinra HQ and find president Shinra stabbed to death and the whole scope of the conflict changes. Then you get to Kalm and Cloud finally tells you about Sephiroth and it just deepens the mystery.

With Remake they were like “hey people really liked Sephiroth, let’s have Sephiroth show up in the first 30 minutes and start spouting off some Nomura bullshit, they’ll really like that!”

A.Romero

I'm a big fan and can think of three reasons:

1) His design is very very cool. Probably my favourite from the FF series
2) The way he displayed powere (even back in 1997) was just amazing. He really felt like a threat. Just like Homelander feels in The Boys.
3) I think his approach was right given the circunstances. People were fucking the planet up so it was important to let it heal by destroying the pest

violence

In the first game, he had a mystique. The flashback really made you go “whoa”. He was also crazy in a cool way. The guy was way too powerful to be that crazy. Oh shit Sephiroth music, shit is on. I think the designers knew he was cool, because everything about him (looks and music) was nailed and they gave him crazy shit to do. He wasn’t doing stupid stuff like the remake.

At the time I also really liked the metal gear solid cyborg ninja. He was also crazy and had a sword.

Last edited:

Comandr

Yeah it was awesome when he was mysterious. When you escape from the prison in Shinra HQ and find president Shinra stabbed to death and the whole scope of the conflict changes. Then you get to Kalm and Cloud finally tells you about Sephiroth and it just deepens the mystery.

With Remake they were like “hey people really liked Sephiroth, let’s have Sephiroth show up in the first 30 minutes and start spouting off some Nomura bullshit, they’ll really like that!”
That killed me in FF7R when he shows up in the beginning and seemingly freezes time to talk to only cloud and is like
Catch Me If You Can GIF

I'm really afraid with Rebirth they are going to just lean in to all the nonsense. I really liked what I saw from the last trailer, but I'm afraid that's a very surface level view. Aside from the lighting. Fix the fucking lighting SE. God damn.

violence

My theory is the creators of the original FF7 found Sephiroth cool. They legit liked the character.

The creators of FF7 remake find Sephiroth attractive. That’s why Cloud is surrounded by hot women, but dreams of Sephiroth.

Papa_Wisdom

I call my wang Sephiroth and wave it around at any given opportunity, My gf looks at me in awe, eyes wide open jaw on the floor as I’m windmilling in front of her.

No shame

Last edited:

Neff

I'm sick of Sephiroth. He was a better villain when he was in the shadows. Twisted and unknowable. Like, how did Sephiroth get the Midgar Zolom up that tree? Who knows. But the scene comes off otherworldly, unsettling. And that's effective storytelling. Sometimes you don't need to understand and sympathize with a villain for them to be a good villain.

Modern Sephiroth sucks. These days he's little more than a smirking homoerotic tormentor for Cloud and Cloud alone.

In the original game though? Legitimately intimidating. Insane, unpredictable, powerful without match and indiscriminately cruel. I miss that guy.

Modern Sephiroth sucks. These days he's little more than a smirking homoerotic tormentor for Cloud and Cloud alone.

In the original game though? Legitimately intimidating. Insane, unpredictable, powerful without match and indiscriminately cruel. I miss that guy.
Yea Im glad I decided to play the original before Remake. Remakes changes are awful, the writing took such a nose dive compared to the original.

Top Bottom