• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer Cover Reveal – Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

BrunoCoel

362.jpg

We spent two days at Square Enix's headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, seeing new sections of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and speaking to the legends of the team that made it. This cover story, along with our exclusive coverage spread out over the next few weeks, should give you a good idea of what to expect when the game launches in February. On top of that, this issue dives into our favorite games of 2023, giving you a full rundown of the best that the year had to offer.

Our cover art this month was designed in part by Tetsuya Nomura, one of the aforementioned legends we spoke to. It features a fiery image of the series' antagonist, Sephiroth, on the front, while the flames extend to the back side of the cover art, barely reaching a determined profile of our hero, Cloud Strife. So much of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth focuses on the relationships between characters, and this art emphasizes the strained relationship between these two former allies. You'll learn more about the making of the Final Fantasy VII Remake series, how Rebirth is expanding the series in several ways, how the team is approaching certain scenes, and much more in our 12-page cover story!

www.gameinformer.com

Cover Reveal – Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

One of our most anticipated games of 2024 lands on our final cover of 2023.
www.gameinformer.com
www.gameinformer.com

Klosshufvud

In the original FF game, Sephiroth was a mysterious figure whose intentions weren't even fully revealed until like halfway through the game. In FF7 remake, he's in the very first cutscenes of the game, and he keeps shoving his face in near every cutscene there is. These characters feel overused now. They were special in FF7 but SE has capitalized on them so hard they feel more like action figures than story characters.

/old man rant

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In the original FF game, Sephiroth was a mysterious figure whose intentions weren't even fully revealed until like halfway through the game. In FF7 remake, he's in the very first cutscenes of the game, and he keeps shoving his face in near every cutscene there is. These characters feel overused now. They were special in FF7 but SE has capitalized on them so hard they feel more like action figures than story characters.

/old man rant
If you expecting this capture the same feeling as when you played FFVII for the first time on PSOne then you might as well skip this game all together.

Danjin44

I actually played the original after Remake. Suffice to say, I was shocked old timer fans weren't more critical of Remake.
Because most people by now understand despite this game has “Remake” on the title, it’s not actual remake, which is devs themselves confirmed.

Danjin44

This is not how the game was marketed before release. If they "confirmed" it, it was after the game was out.
For me it was pleasant surprise, I’m actually looking forward what happens next.

I’m pretty sure devs didn’t want to put all that effort and resources to make exact same game, especially the fact OG FFVII is EVERYWHERE…..people who want exact game can just play the OG FFVII.

For me it was pleasant surprise, I’m actually looking forward what happens next.

I’m pretty sure devs didn’t want to put all that effort and resources to make exact same game, especially the fact OG FFVII is EVERYWHERE…..people who want exact game can just play the OG FFVII.
It didn't have to be verbatim the same game, but some QOL and modernization is not what we got. This is a spinoff fanfic. I think they could have been honest to begin with that they were not remaking FF VII. Was my most hyped game for a loooooong time and the more I played it the more disappointed I got. There are still good elements about the game mind you, the combat was stellar, visuals look great, etc.. just don't agree with the absolute liberty taken with the plot changes and overt padding.

Danjin44

It didn't have to be verbatim the same game, but some QOL and modernization is not what we got. This is a spinoff fanfic. I think they could have been honest to begin with that they were not remaking FF VII. Was my most hyped game for a loooooong time and the more I played it the more disappointed I got. There are still good elements about the game mind you, the combat was stellar, visuals look great, etc.. just don't agree with the absolute liberty taken with the plot changes and overt padding.
We live in age of internet you could have easily waited and what game is all about before getting, i personally like when devs surprise me…..Yoko Taro did the same thing with Drakengard 3. The game was advertised as prequel to original Drakengard then just goes entirely it’s own timeline thanks to Accord’s interference.

Now with FFVII Rebirth they pretty clear what they are going for, you either in to it or you are not.

clarky

Gold Member
Thought I've never been that much into FF, I'm strangely excited for this. Really hope it delivers and I'm there day one.

Same played the original on the PS1, looks great.

Is this the second part of the remake or something completely different?

Solarium

Neo Member
Was the fisrt part any good? Because this looks fantastic.

Excuse my ignorance but bar Persona I've largely ignored JRPG's of late due to the time constraints of later life.
I recommend playing Remake if you're interested in Rebirth, purely because you'll go in with a much deeper connection and appreciation for the characters and their relationships with one another. The levels in Remake (Part 1) can be a bit linear (I love linear games so I don't mind), and some side quests can be questionable, but you can feel the love and dedication poured into the game itself. It's a real treat to experience through and through.

clarky

Gold Member
I recommend playing Remake if you're interested in Rebirth, purely because you'll go in with a much deeper connection and appreciation for the characters and their relationships with one another. The levels in Remake (Part 1) can be a bit linear (I love linear games so I don't mind), and some side quests can be questionable, but you can feel the love and dedication poured into the game itself. It's a real treat to experience through and through.

Cool, ill stick it on the list. Thanks for the feed back.

Skifi28

Excuse my ignorance but bar Persona I've largely ignored JRPG's of late due to the time constraints of later life.
It was pretty divisive amongst fans so it's hard to say, but looking at it objectively I don't think it was bad. Maybe a bit lacking. It's certainly worth experiencing if you want to play the sequel.

The first part is essentially the Midgar section from the original game, but greatly expanded. Some of the new content is filler-y, but a lot of it is excellent, and they give some of the minor characters like Biggs/Wedge/Jessie a much larger role. One thing worth noting: the base game is available on PS4, but the Intermission DLC featuring Yuffie is not, so you'll want to go with the PS5 or PC version if you can.

Crayon

I thought it was outstanding but takes patience in more ways than one. You could say it's uneven. Worth a shot, though. It doesn't take forever to get going so you can try the first few hours on ps+ and get an idea.

Top Bottom