• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth developed within 3 years, final part underway with voice recording soon.

Go_Ly_Dow

My mind was blown thinking they made it in 4 years, but Kitase is saying 3. I hope Square stick to UE4/UE5 going forward and to this development approach of retaining as much staff as possible and efficiently moving them from one project to the next.

From the Ultimania release

#FF7RUltimania FF7 Remake Part 3 main story has already been completed, and Nomura thinks they will perhaps start voice recording in the near future. He remarks that Kitase proposed an idea to him about “something” very important to include, even though it wasn’t in the original game, and Nomura is pondering how to deliver. He thinks it will surely make people happy if they can do it well.Kitase hopes to deliver an amazing product for Part 3 without having to sacrifice quality over time. He says the reason why FF7 Rebirth was such an efficient development period was because they retained the same staff as the previous installment, and Part 3 will also have the same team. Kitase mentions FF7 Rebirth was actually done within 3 years since about one year was developing the DLC, and he hopes to be able to stick with that schedule for Part 3 too.

FF7 30th Anniversary in 2027. 🤔

Bkdk

Japanese developers are pretty productive these days, awesome to see. The western ones these days are super slow in making games and very often the end product is worse in quality compared to the japanese releases. More oversight certainly needed in the western studios.

Go_Ly_Dow

Insane speed of development for the actual gen and with that much content ingame
It's crazy to me. The world is not only huge, but detailed, varied, filled with towns, NPCs etc...

Then alongside that you have hours of cutting edge cutscene and cinematic direction which is usually completely lacking from open world gams.

A massive cast of characters too.

One of the most impressive developments I've seen in recent memory.

Last edited:

Sensei

I wonder if they are still going to use UE4 for the final third.
It is very likely. Switching to UE5 would probably delay the game by a year, and they can't afford that, because at this point it's very likely that they want to target 2027 for the final part.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're sticking with UE4 to speed up the game's release, but on the other hand, I'm a little disappointed that they're not switching to UE5, since Nanite and Lumen (if used properly) should fix most of Rebirth's graphical problems (texture streaming, LoD, lighting, etc.), but we should probably forget about getting a performance mode in this case.

Ozzie666

Good news I was worried there for a second they wouldn't finish it. Please for the love of god reduce the mini games!

yazenov

I'm not a developer, but I think the advantage of direct sequels is the reuse of a lot of assets for the speed of development and lower cost. Development of part 3 should be smooth sailing and on schedule hopefully.

Also, exclusivity helps as focusing on one platform has its advantages over spreading out over multiple platforms.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm not a developer, but I think the advantage of direct sequels is the reuse of a lot of assets for the speed of development and lower cost. Development of part 3 should be smooth sailing and on schedule hopefully.

Also, exclusivity helps as focusing on one platform has its advantages over spreading out over multiple platforms.
I think for the final installment the bulk of the development will be making the following:

-Implementing Cid and Vincent
-The snow region and Icicle Inn town
-The mountain region and Northern Crater
-Rocket town and the surrounding region
-Wutai and the surrounding region
-Mideel region and town
-Under the ocean regions
-Trip to space
-Submarine traversal
-Airship traversal
-Large scale WEAPON battles
-Knights of the Round
-Access and return to all previous locations and updating them
-Return to Midgar
-The final dungeons

So still quite a lot to do and I'm sure they'll have their hands full, but as you say should be even quicker and cheaper to make given all the assets and systems they've made for Rebirth.

Top Bottom