• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite solo Defenders series?

tl;dr at the bottom

So we're just about a month away from Defenders season 1 on Netflix; all the previous MCU Netflix shows have broken records, I think Luke Cage was even crashing Netflix when it premiered so I expect Defenders will crush everything.

Now here comes the question: Which solo series do you like the most? We got 2 seasons of Daredevil, and one of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, & Iron Fist. Punisher isn't out yet but he's not really a Defender.

For me:

Daredevil comes first. Man, watching season 1 for the first time was something awesome, such awesome television that I didn't expect. Season 2 wasn't as good though.

Luke Cage comes in second for me - I think this show is the most relatable, and also, the concept of Luke Cage is just great. A man who is pretty much immune to bullets, bullets which are ammunition for guns, and guns are what can make an (evil) man invincible to a capacity, and Luke is above it. Hell yeah.

I know a lot of people complain about a certain someone - I don't know if I should get into spoilers or not.

Jessica Jones was pretty great too, but sometimes they did some over the board stuff and I really didn't like how they handled the side characters. Both LC and JJ had a decent amount of side characters but LC handled them better. Just because they ain't main and perhaps may not even have comic book roots doesn't mean they should care less about the characters' fates.

Iron Fist sucked balls. The entire time after hearing more about the series before it premiered I kept feeling like it would've been better with Danny Rand as the lead; I even made a thread about it. I just don't understand why Disney would think that casting an actor without martial arts exp instead of someone with it would be a good idea. Such a missed opportunity. And the whole Hand thing that was introduced in DD season 1 while shown as a bigger threat was still kinda reduced in its anonymity. Some of the acting got pretty bad too.

tl'dr

between daredevil, luke cage, jessica jones, and iron fist, which show do you like the most?

Slayven

20170704022128%21Nighthawk-1.jpg

Him dragging Daredevil's soul(not metaphorical) through hell was very endearing

Daredevil is my favorite, followed by Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Iron Fist is way at the bottom. Weird, because that was the one I was looking forward to most.

Dysun

Daredevil and it's not even close.

Jessica and Luke both had their fair shares of highs and lows

Iron Fist was mainly lows

Jessica Jones for me. Kilgrave was a very entertaining villain to watch.
that police department scene :O

if it wasn't for season 2, I would've went with DD though

LotusHD

Banned
My overall favorite is Daredevil, edges out Jessica Jones due to having that good ol' martial arts. Luke Cage could've been #1, but that 2nd half was... not good. They should not have killed off a certain character, and also fuck Diamondback. Iron Fist ain't even worth bringing up tbh, there's so much to criticize about it, from the first episode I was already bored as hell, and that of all shows having weak choreography honestly pissed me off.

So yea:

1. Daredevil S1
2. Jessica Jones
3. Daredevil S2
4. Luke Cage
5. Nothing
6. Iron Fist

Iron Fist was trash, stay woke.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Scolding coffee splashed in my eyes
Iron Fist

They all have pacing issues, need to be edited down severely, and lack a sophisticated enough plot to justify 13+ hours worth of focus. But Iron Fist is absolute garbage, like even just talking in the confines of genre TV it's fucking horrible.

Luke Cage for laughably bad near the end, but it was sweet (Christmas) up until the midway point.

Xe4

Banned
Daredevil S1 > Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage
Daredevil is the only one I actively really liked and would watch again. JJ and LC were just ok.
Haven't seen Iron Fist and have no desire too.
Shame, great character when he's done right.

kunonabi

Luke cage > Daredevil season 1 > iron fist > daredevil season 2 > jessics jones

Im hoping that jessica jones season 2 can improve on its faults because the character and premise should have made resulted in my favorite show of the bunch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Daredevil. And I know people talk shit about Season 2 after Punisher steps away from the spotlight, but I thoroughly enjoyed the back half of that season as well. Elektra brought a fun energy to that show.

Jessica Jones had a great story to tell, and there are fantastic moments, but it also relies on its characters thoroughly being idiots for stretches at a time. Not to mention focus on thoroughly irrelevant plotlines like Hogarth's divorce.

Luke Cage is generally more steady and solid, until the back half with Diamondback who becomes quite an embarrassment. I loved having more Claire, but yeah...

Iron Fist is bad. It is very bad. There is a stretch of like two or three genuinely enjoyable episodes in the back, starting with a pretty good twist, but by then Danny is a thorough piece of shit who you can't care about. Ward manages to become the MVP of the show as a fake Harry Osborne, and having a genuinely interesting bit of growth. But yeah... What a waste of potential.

Daredevil is the only one that could even hold my (and my mother's) interest.
I really just wish that we could have colorful, more upbeat super hero series from Netflix, like how the movies are. I get the appeal of the darker and grittier ones, but I certainly don't prefer them.

Daredevil S1
Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones >= Luke Cake
Getting robbed at gun point
Getting fired
Car wreck
half of my body being burned
Ironfist (I still haven't finished it)

LotusHD

Banned
I still don't understand the whole talk I see occasionally about Ward being the best character or MVP in Iron Fist. They were all awful outside of Colleen, who showed promise. Please give her own show with Misty, and put Iron Fist behind us. :p

gforguava

Daredevil S02 - First half with the Punisher was cool, second half with Elektra was the best.
Daredevil S01 - Solid.
Iron Fist - Just kind of sits there.
Jessica Jones - If this season was half as long as it ended up being it would probably be the best.
Luke Cage - Outside of some of the actors this was just terrible.

Dervius

Daredevil season 2 almost solely for Jon Bernthal's Punisher.

Really don't get all the hate it garners on Gaf.

Followed in joint 2nd by Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Kilgrave was imo the best villain in all of the series but the opening half of LK was pretty ace.

Haven't watched Iron Fist.

Jessica Jones for sure. Best villain and it kept me hooked.

Daredevil was great too but dragged in parts and season 2 was horrid after the Punisher arc.

Got bored of Luke Cage about 2/3 through, and because of that haven't started Iron Fist yet (the impressions for that one don't help though...).

Sojgat

DDS2
DDS1
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage

Iron Fist is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Also, the last episode of every season is terrible. It's a problem they desperately need to fix.

Plasma

Banned
Daredevil, Jessica Jones (I would have put this above Daredevil if they trimmed out the filler and cut down on the number of episodes) and then Luke Cage. I haven't seen Iron Fist because I heard it wasn't that good, will I be missing out on anything if I just read a plot summary before watching defenders?

LotusHD

Banned
Daredevil, Jessica Jones (I would have put this above Daredevil if they trimmed out the filler and cut down on the number of episodes) and then Luke Cage. I haven't seen Iron Fist because I heard it wasn't that good, will I be missing out on anything if I just read a plot summary before watching defenders?

Nope, in fact I heartily recommend that you read a summary rather than actually watch it.

Sojgat

It took me 5 hours to watch the final episode of Iron Fist. I had to keep taking breaks because each new scene was more intolerable than the last. It is perhaps the single worst episode of television I've seen in the last decade.

Just read a summary.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Iron Fist because it's the most down to earth and relatable. It tells the story of a man struggling to finish a show he hates out of some misguided loyalty to a series its only tangentially related to. It's about everyday heroes, really.

LotusHD

Banned
Iron Fist because it's the most down to earth and relatable. It tells the story of a man struggling to finish a show he hates out of some misguided loyalty to a series its only tangentially related to. It's about everyday heroes, really.

Lmao

Daredevil is my favorite, followed by Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Iron Fist is way at the bottom. Weird, because that was the one I was looking forward to most.

This. Jones has poor action directing and some poor directing overall - Jessica tailing people is comically poorly done - but it's still pretty awesome. Cage started great, and had all the elements in place, but just fumbled things badly.

1) Daredevil season 1: the close to perfect DD adaptation I never thought I'd get.

2) DD season 2: higher highs and lower lows. Punisher arc was incredible, Kingpin was terrifying but fuck The Hand.

3) Jessica Jones: a fantastic 6 episodes mini-series that went on for too long.

4) Luke Cage: boring as fuck. The lead had no charisma, terrible action scenes, laughable villain, too many episodes. Good soundtrack though.

Haven't seen Iron Fist.

Dervius

1) Daredevil season 1: the close to perfect DD adaptation I never thought I'd get.

2) DD season 2: higher highs and lower lows. Punisher arc was incredible, Kingpin was terrifying but fuck The Hand.

3) Jessica Jones: a fantastic 6 episodes mini-series that went on for too long.

4) Luke Cage: boring as fuck. The lead had no charisma, terrible action scenes, laughable villain, too many episodes. Good soundtrack though.

Haven't seen Iron Fist.

This is actually a pretty good breakdown of my feelings.

slade

Daredevil season 2 followed by Daredevil season 1.

I couldn't even get through the other shows.

Daredevil season 1 is the only thing I truly enjoyed out of all of the Defender's stuff with Season 2 being good.

The rest is not worth the watch except the Cottonmouth part of Luke Cage.

So I guess:

Daredevil
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones

Didn't bother to watch Iron Fist.

Hagi

The Daredevil series are the only of the shows I've actually like so they it's not really much of a competition. Still need to finish season 2 at some point.

Laieon

Jessica Jones is the only one I've been able to get into/finish, so that. Daredevil was okay but didn't hold my interest. Luke Cage was incredibly boring. I think I stopped after 4 or 5 episodes, just didn't feel like it was going anywhere.

Alienfan

Jessica Jones, the only one I enjoyed and finished. I couldn't get past episode 4 of Daredevil and didn't even finish episode 1 of Luke Cage.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones > Daredevil S1 > the shit I just took > Luke Cage
Will never watch Iron Fist.
I'm not really interested in Defenders.

Defenders is one month away?! I had no idea. I just watched Luke Cage last week. Here's what I think of them so far:

Daredevil S1
Really good. Daredevil & Fisk get excellent characterisation and the stakes feel appropriate. Good escalation of action throughout the series leading to a really good finale.

Jessica Jones
I liked it a lot, although it was the first time I felt a Netflix Marvel series was a big saggy in the middle. The Purple Man was a fantastic villain and I like Jessica's character as this damaged hard-edged alcoholic.

Daredevil S2
I've tried watching this a couple of times and have never made it all the way through. Not sure why, but I am unable to pay attention throughout. I like this interpretation of the Punisher although I also felt it dragged a bit in the middle.

Luke Cage
I liked this a lot. Extremely stylish with a great cast, but I didn't like Diamondback as the villain and I never enjoy the 'vengeful/jealous family member is the baddie' plot, which is so played out.

Iron Fist
I haven't watched this, mainly because everyone says it's boring.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I like them in the order that they came out. I relate the Netflix Marvel shows like going down a slide at a park - Daredevil season 1 was the height of fun and Iron Fist is like hitting the dirt face first.

Jessica Jones was amazing.
Both seasons of Daredevil were good about 50% of the time.
I couldn't finish Luke Cake or Iron Fist.

I'm much more excited for The Punisher and Jessica Jones S2 than I am for The Defenders.

Top Bottom