• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

Makonero

http://kotaku.com/my-son-has-ruined-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1797004429

In the past couple of months there's been a phrase that haunts me. It reverberates in my dreams and my darkest nightmares. It's the first words I hear when I arrive home from work. It's the first words I hear when being woken up at 5:30am on a still-dark Saturday morning. ”Daddee. DADDEE. Can I play YOUR game."

My game means Zelda: Breath of the Wild. More specifically it means my 140 hour deep play through of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The one where I had hundreds of arrows, all the powerups and a melange of high powered weaponry.

Key word here: ‘had'.

Friends, my four year old son is single-handedly ruining my Zelda game.

This is how I know my son has been fucking with my Zelda game.

Every. Goddamn. Time.

The Gerudo mask. It's the first thing he changes. It doesn't matter if he's in the desert, the forest or the snow. The conditions don't matter. The boots and the body change, the face remains the same.

Gerudo mask. Every damn time.

”Daddy it makes him look like a Ninja."

My son has literally replaced my Guardian Swords++ with a SOUP LADLE.

A fucking soup ladle people.

My son has learned to navigate Zelda's menu system to the point where he can literally throw away all my good shit in order to pick up every piece of trash he finds. I'm almost impressed.
d2gsdzM.jpg

Do I want my son to stop playing? Do I want to deprive him of this pleasure? Of course not. I love that he's playing Zelda. I love that I'm sharing this video game with him. I love that Breath of the Wild is such a well designed game that both he and I can enjoy it in completely opposite ways.

That's nice.

But losing all of your Guardian arrows in a random Bokoblin fight. Finding a soup ladle where your Guardian Sword used to be?

Yeah, that's less nice.

Don't have kids.

Great article. Made me laugh. Also made me glad I don't have kids.

EDIT:

For all the Gaffers asking "WHY DIDN'T HE MAKE THE KID HIS OWN SAVE PROFILE"

Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I've got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

For all the Gaffers asking "WHAT ABOUT JUST USING AUTO SAVES"

So here's what my son does: he turns on the game. He doesn't load the most recent save. Oh no. He scrolls through the saves and finds the one with the coolest image — usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava.

He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles.

What does this mean? This means that I will quite regularly lose my last two hours of gameplay and when you're in the process of meticulously making your way through the map looking for shit that is incredibly, incredibly frustrating.

Betty

Banned
Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

jts

...hate me...
Meh, that's not so hard stuff to get back. Especially Guardian Swords, c'mon. That's nothing.

Much worse things:

-selling a unique item with no chance to ever get it back in that save.
-outright DELETING the game save

That guy got it easy.

KronikCity518

Neo Member
Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

This is my question. My daughter is 4 and plays the Switch all the time. She was super excited to have her own account. No issues aroze(yet). lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
As a father of kids where two of them are gamers, sadly this is all his fault and i don't feel bad at all.

You can allow your kids to play your games, but set guidelines, or better yet, don't use the Switch as a babysitter and then complain when your saves, etc....are gone. Play WITH them.

RRockman

Banned
Meh, that's not so hard stuff to get back. Especially Guardian Swords, c'mon. That's nothing.

Much worse things:

-selling a unique item with no chance to ever get it back in that save.
-outright DELETING the game save

That guy got it easy.

I nearly murdered my brother three times because of this. Siblings. Not even once.

FelipeMGM

cant he just make another user on the Switch and have the kid play there?

EDIT: ok, he touches that on the article, but if he really wants his kid to have fun with all the late game cool stuff he has, he shouldnt be THIS bothered about it

Seems a bit of a pointless article. Just create another profile. Literally takes 2 minutes. My son and I played through the game without getting in each other's way.

He says his kid didn't want to play his own game because Dad had all the cool stuff unlocked. a 4 year old probably isn't actually progressing through the game, just messing around.

What strikes me as weird is that the autosave system overwrites his saves? Maybe I misunderstood how the game was saving, but I thought my one manual save was different than the other autosaves. Didn't realize it would get overwritten if the kid didn't manually save over it.

SiteSeer

or your kids play in your minecraft world and leaves creeper craters all over ... lol

Nailed it on the first post.

/thread

in the op writer's defense i think it mentions that the kid doesn't want to play on a blank game file, the kid likes all the endgame toys even if he ends up throwing some away.

I don't let anyone ever play on my RPG save files. Continuity is important to me. Letting someone else move my character and my shit around saps my personal investment faster than you'd believe.

I experienced this which is when I learned to not rely on auto save and do an explicit save before my kid would play. That way, no matter the damage he did, I would just load up the save and I'd be back to where I was. If you rely on auto save, that can disappear with enough movement.

rhandino

Banned
I remember that time I let my little brother try Final Fantasy VI using my save file and when i came back he used my Elixirs and shit and saved the game...

He enjoyed it and started to play the game in his own save file but still!

Timeaisis

Haha, that's awesome. Breath of the Wild is the kind of game that I wouldn't even care if my future son or daughter screwed up my save. The journey is all the fun, and I'd have a hell of a time if my future child loved the game to that degree and derived that much happiness from it. Would make me incredibly happy.

Varjis

I usually game after my boys go to bed but the nostalgia bug of FFXII has me playing some in the evening before bath time. My 4 year old loves grabbing the controller and moving the party around, and I don't mind the free experience and him enjoying himself. Yay gambits. :)

Zedark

140 hours in and he is annoyed about losing a 60 damage weapon? Those things are basically lying about at that point. This articles seems like a kinda overblown complaint tbh.

Kyne

i feel like it this is the second article from Kotaku that ends in "don't have kids".

i wonder if it's the same guy. sounds like he has regrets.

tbm24

Sounds like he should spend his time explaining to his son how to create their own account and use it.
Can't wait for my daughter to want to play my games.

cyba89

but then he wouldnt be able to write about this, think of the lost clicks people

Or you could just read the article and get a real answer to that instead of drive-by shitposting.

i feel like it this is the second article from Kotaku that ends in "don't have kids".

i wonder if it's the same guy. sounds like he has regrets.

It's really obvious this is not actually meant serious.

Aeana

So here’s what my son does: he turns on the game. He doesn’t load the most recent save. Oh no. He scrolls through the saves and finds the one with the coolest image — usually a save near Death Mountain with lava and shit ‘cause my son loves lava.

He then proceeds to overwrite the last six saves by jaunting all over the map on his merry way, firing Guardian arrows and accumulating soup ladles.

What does this mean? This means that I will quite regularly lose my last two hours of gameplay and when you’re in the process of meticulously making your way through the map looking for shit that is incredibly, incredibly frustrating.

So his son is overwriting his autosaves, but what about his manual save? Or is the author not manually saving for some reason?

Yeah, this obvious thing kind of takes away from the article. I spend tons of time around much smaller, younger cousins. I let them play all my stuff, and this hasn't ever happened, because I make sure to take the precautions.

Cess007

Do people seriously mean it when they say "Don't have kids!". Like, would you have wanted your parents to think the same? And why not make him a different user profile?

Why don't you make another account and play there?

This is really stupid =___=

I wouldn't let my kid play on my save file.

This is my question. My daughter is 4 and plays the Switch all the time. She was super excited to have her own account. No issues aroze(yet). lol

cant he just make another user on the Switch and have the kid play there?

Seems a bit of a pointless article. Just create another profile. Literally takes 2 minutes. My son and I played through the game without getting in each other's way.

but then he wouldnt be able to write about this, think of the lost clicks people

Nailed it on the first post.

/thread

Basically.

It's a fucking game.

Create another profile or, ya know, relax.

Jesus, some of you guys needs to relax when you read the word "Zelda".

Firstly why is my son playing Zelda? I dunno. It just happened and now it keeps happening. Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I've got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

Thirdly, why do I keep letting this happen?

Love, ladies and Gentlemen. Love.

From the article:

Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I've got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

It's confusing why his kid wants to play the file with the cool stuff just to toss it for a soup ladle, but that's why he doesn't just give the kid a profile to play around on.

Edit: Someone beat me to it, but yeah read the article friends.

Catvoca

Banned
140 hours in and he is annoyed about losing a 60 damage weapon? Those things are basically lying about at that point. This articles seems like a kinda overblown complaint tbh.

It's obviously tongue in cheek and not a real complaint. The whole article is just meant to be a bit of fun.

VDenter

Banned
While its true that he could of have made a separate account for his kid. I still find it weird that Breath of the Wild is the only Zelda game with one save slot. I cant think of a single reason as to why Nintendo did not make three like in all the other games.

Top Bottom