• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

brawly

How many more hours does he wanna put into the goddamn game? This is a prime example of why don't get the concept of hanging onto your savefiles. If he fucks up his game midway through after 40+, okay that sucks. But after 140 hours? Take a look at yourself.

FinKL

You guys are missing the point all the fun items are tied to the parents account. There's no way to duplicate it and let the kid run a muck on it

Kids will be playing on their own saves and accounts. When/if I have 'em. If they need help I'll be happy to but we aren't fucking up mommy's saves.

More like "Don't Be A Parent If You Can't Say 'No'"

Blazzam.

You guys are missing the point all the fun items are tied to the parents account. There's no way to duplicate it and let the kid run a muck on it

There is no way to backup saves on Switch? You can't keep multiple save files with this game? Hm.
Sucks but the options are make peace with your kid wrecking your hard work or say no.
Or stop playing around the kid or when he's awake, pray he forgets about it until you're done and then let him have at it. :p

jtb

Banned
Four years olds fucking suck at video games. Of course he wants to play on his dad's save file.

So his son is overwriting his autosaves, but what about his manual save? Or is the author not manually saving for some reason?

Eh, I didn't really manually save often when I was playing. I just used the auto save. I didn't take more advantage of manual saves until I started letting my kid play and realized he was auto saving enough to screw with my progress. So I can understand initially not manually saving.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The article is tongue in cheek, people

It should be obvious but still, lol

But yea, separate profile, duplicate saves if possible. One game I had to save on a slot waaaay towards the bottom, because kids somehow like to navigate any menu they see.

Four years olds fucking suck at video games. Of course he wants to play on his dad's save file.

This too.

How about 6, 7 and 8 y.o's.

I play so lil these days they dont even ask to play on my saves, profile anymore.

khaaan

It's a cute, silly, story.

Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

Do people seriously mean it when they say "Don't have kids!". Like, would you have wanted your parents to think the same? And why not make him a different user profile?

Why don't you make another account and play there?

This is really stupid =___=

This is my question. My daughter is 4 and plays the Switch all the time. She was super excited to have her own account. No issues aroze(yet). lol

cant he just make another user on the Switch and have the kid play there?

Seems a bit of a pointless article. Just create another profile. Literally takes 2 minutes. My son and I played through the game without getting in each other's way.

Your questions can be answered by reading the article.

If you enjoy the game so much you could still make another account, play there and let him fuck with your old save.

Hindl

For everyone saying why doesn't he just make his child their own profile:

Firstly why is my son playing Zelda? I dunno. It just happened and now it keeps happening. Secondly, why is he playing my game and not his own game? Simple answer: I’ve got all the cool power-ups and the cool weapons. His chances of actually inching his way through and earning those rewards at four years old are at monkeys writing Shakespeare odds at this point.

tbm24

Honestly if that's what it's about, I'd start a new one and get far enough to have enough items and stamina/health for the kid to run around with. Or put Mario kart on.

Jotaka

EwDJLv6.png

Calamari41

41 > 38
Save the game with a manual "hard" save rather than relying on autosave, and then tell the kid not to manually save over it... How is this even an issue? I can see it happening once, but any more than that and it's your own fault.

Heh, I've watched my three year old beat people online in ARMS. I'm kinda curious what their reaction would be if they knew a three year old beat them or came close to beating them.

That said, I've learned to utilize my kid to earn coins for me so I can unlock stuff quicker =)

Manual save gets overwritten by autosaves. Yes it's very dumb.

Wait, what? It does? I've never seen that. That's pretty dumb.

Dre3001

If you enjoy the game so much you could still make another account, play there and let him fuck with your old save.

He still hasn't completed the game 100% on his old save which is why he hasn't done this yet.

The game is far from ruined for him, this is just a fun story about his kid wasting all his weapons and enjoying the game in his own way.

It does? I honestly don't remember that but I'll take your word for it.

Because it doesn't. The game keeps like the last dozen saves with autosaves marked in the Load menu. They only get overwritten eventually like all old saves do

And can some of you seriously not understand the article is written tongue in cheek and isn't meant to be taken completely serious?

He still hasn't completed the game 100% on his old save which is why he hasn't done this yet.

The game is far from ruined for him, this is just a fun story about his kid wasting all his weapons and enjoying the game in his own way.

Except it's not funny.

I learned the hard way, my boys erased my completed save by starting a new game. Made them separate accounts after that, this guy should probably do the same.

Calibos

"Don't have kids" is a great response....but also a terrible one. My son is 3.5 right now and there is no better feeling than getting home from work and him asking me to play the "Lego Dinosaur" game with him...(Jurassic World)...or asking if we can play the game "with the boy running around looking for his family...(Rime)

Sure, he will save over something of mine or destroy a piece of my electronics at some point, but those are trivial things.

They don't measure up to the positives...

Cess007

You expecting people to READ? Why I never... how would they be able to be outraged and much smarter then?

I swear, it seems that some people just read the world "Zelda" in an article and immediately goes into defensive mode. This is a cute anecdote about a Dad and his son, and yet people claim this is click-bait and stupid

atr0cious

Wait, what? It does? I've never seen that. That's pretty dumb.
Because it doesn't. The game keeps like the last dozen saves with autosaves marked in the Load menu. They only get overwritten eventually like all old saves do
Yes, through auto saves. The game will eventually push it out in favor of an autosave if you play without hard saving again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gerudo mask. Every damn time.

“Daddy it makes him look like a Ninja.”

There's an actual Ninja mask in the game the writer should teach his son to were that.

Secondly kids will be kids and will do silly things as they don't know any better.

Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

But then how would the guy be able to feed his son?

Jackano

It doesn't. Manual saving always rewrite your manual save.
Auto-saves are here as backups if you don't save often I guess.

What's the point of this article? It's something you read in a women/parenting magazine.
You get kids you deal with it. Maybe help him learning the game rules for a start.

Can't wait for that guy to blame Apple when his kid will spend 50k$ on AppStore because he let him his iPad and his credit card number.

Regiruler

So his son is overwriting his autosaves, but what about his manual save? Or is the author not manually saving for some reason?

I think for breath of the wild, the saves are all treated the same. Once they go past a certain threshold they're deleted.

Good grief. Learn to say no to your kid. We get it, you love your kid but it's ok to tell him no sometimes. He's fucking 4 - he would be fine playing literally anything else, no reason to give him your save file.

I let my 7 year old niece play my BoTW game.

Next thing you know she completed shrines, got me to areas I died multiple times trying to reach, and a new shiny weapon.

I get that the article is tongue-in-cheek but there are a bunch of easy solutions that any longtime gamer should know that make this all seem very dubious. Split an account and get some stuff for your four-year-old there, back up your save in a few of the slots, or even just start a save that you play in tandem with your child. I know he's not genuinely upset, the thing that bothers me more is the exploitative nature of the article given these stop gaps. It feels more like it's meant to snare readers with the "Oh kids!" angle rather than being a sincere piece.

Probably taking this all too seriously but I just doubt this happened the way the article portrays it.

Almighty

That's what kids do. If what people are saying and manual saves get overwritten by autosaves and you can't just copy the saves somewhere then yeah the price we pay for love. One of the benefits about being a PC gamer is you can always make a copy of your saves and put them somewhere and let you kids/nephews/nieces mess around without a care.

Not

Banned

I guarantee the first time his kid started fucking with his account little page view hits started floating around his head like dollar signs

Guys, the dad clearly doesn't actually care that much. If he did he would tell his son no. It is a fun article not a think piece or something.

Terrell

That first post magic.
Nice of him to blame kids rather than him simply being ill-equipped to provide him with his own account. Blaming kids for your own stupidity makes me think he really should have followed his own advice, feel kinda sorry for that kid being dragged out and shamed by his own dad.

Hyperbole aside, a game like this definitely should have space for 2 or 3 files without the need to create several accounts. I don't like this recent trend from Nintendo AT ALL (Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X and Paper Mario Color Splash suffer for the same even when prior games from their series had the option).

Top Bottom