• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
http://kotaku.com/my-son-has-ruined-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1797004429

d2gsdzM.jpg

Great article. Made me laugh. Also made me glad I don't have kids.

Ahahah
I have kids
Specifically I am along BotW with my 4 YO son and we love it.

RobotVM

I got to the end of the beginning trial on the DLC and had to go take a shower so I put my Switch in safe mode. When I got out my 4 year old son had taken my switch and started playing a different game. Man that sucked. He also will just start playing my saves. Luckily I haven't lost gear yet just food.

That first post magic.
Nice of him to blame kids rather than him simply being ill-equipped to provide him with his own account. Blaming kids for your own stupidity makes me think he really should have followed his own advice, feel kinda sorry for that kid.

Except, as explained like 20 times in this thread already, the article explains why he didn't do that.

Good grief. Learn to say no to your kid. We get it, you love your kid but it's ok to tell him no sometimes. He's fucking 4 - he would be fine playing literally anything else, no reason to give him your save file.

That's my takeaway. Kids have their toys and I have mine (phone, Switch, PC). I don't let my daughter touch my PC. She knows she's not allowed to move it, or turn it on. She's got plenty of toys (only child) of her own to play with. She doesn't need to play with my stuff.

I think people are afraid to tell their kids "No" these days though. Kind of pathetic.

Hyperbole aside, a game like this definitely should have space for 2 or 3 files without the need to create several accounts. I don't like this recent trend from Nintendo AT ALL (Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X and Paper Mario Color Splash suffer for the same even when prior games from their series had the option).

Why though? Creating a second account is the easiest thing. There's even a + icon on the account selection screen when you start the game up, so that you don't need to navigate through the settings to make a new account.

takriel

What a useless article. Be glad that you have an awesome son who likes Zelda. Make an account for him. Provide him with 100+ magical hours that he will never forget. The end.

Schnozberry

My daughter uses my game to dress Link in the Gerudo outfit and then goes on murder sprees in the countryside with my powered up master sword.

Filben

I swear, it seems that some people just read the world "Zelda" in an article and immediately goes into defensive mode. This is a cute anecdote about a Dad and his son, and yet people claim this is click-bait and stupid
Welcome to the internet. No place for humor except for websites dedicated to that. I'm a Formula 1 fan and don't you dare doing jokes about Lewis Hamilton. So it's not only Zelda. It is people. Some just want to be offended for its own sake.

I find the article entertaining and funny.

atr0cious

Good grief. Learn to say no to your kid. We get it, you love your kid but it's ok to tell him no sometimes. He's fucking 4 - he would be fine playing literally anything else, no reason to give him your save file.
He's not saying no, because he doesn't want his kid to attach negative feelings to exploration and experimentation while playing video games. It's a video game, and he obviously understands what's more important. This is pretty much cleaned up Louis Ck material who calls his kids assholes.

Servbot24

Banned
What a useless article. Be glad that you have an awesome son who likes Zelda. Make an account for him. Provide him with 100+ magical hours that he will never forget. The end.

He is glad. He's just sharing a personal moment with readers.

He's not saying no, because he doesn't want his kid to attach negative feelings to exploration and experimentation while playing video games. It's a video game, and he obviously understands what's more important. This is pretty much cleaned up Louis Ck material who calls his kids assholes.

Exactly. If your toys are more important than your children... well, that's not good.

That's my takeaway. Kids have their toys and I have mine (phone, Switch, PC). I don't let my daughter touch my PC. She knows she's not allowed to move it, or turn it on. She's got plenty of toys (only child) of her own to play with. She doesn't need to play with my stuff.

I think people are afraid to tell their kids "No" these days though. Kind of pathetic.

Yep. Causes lots of issues down the road for these type of children too.

Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

The first thing that came to mind, I don't have kids but when all my little cousins came over I always made sure they were on a different account/save file; always had a save file backed up, one way down on the bottom, or in the cloud!

Gotta think ahead....unless they break your system, don't have multiples of those.

DunpealD

Couldn't the guy make a separate account for his kid and let him play his own adventure without interfering with his?

Haven't played BotW for quite some time, but didn't older Zeldas have the option to copy a save file to another account? Would have helped him out of the predicament.

Servbot24

Banned

He addressed that in the article.

Not that that is in any way the point. Sheesh. Only gamers could turn a cute moment between father and son into a controversy.

Is one that issue they aren't able to tell when an obviously goofy and silly article is not meant to be a referendum on parenting?

Seriously, this thread is giving me an aneurysm. So many people not only not reading the article, they aren't even reading the thread, and spitting their hot take du jour on parenting.

Jesus, some of you guys needs to relax when you read the word "Zelda".

I'm completely relaxed. I didn't find humour in the article and it was written to elicit that response but it's flawed because its writing about a problem that doesn't exist outside the bounds of explicitly creating it to write about it.

eh, I think he's not saying no because he doesn't want to say no to his child because he loves him just so much.

"Thirdly, why do I keep letting this happen?

Love, ladies and Gentlemen. Love."

Cool story, you love your kid so much, just like every non shitty parent out there.

woopWOOP

in the op writer's defense i think it mentions that the kid doesn't want to play on a blank game file, the kid likes all the endgame toys even if he ends up throwing some away.
It's why I always loadded up my brother or cousin's endgame save in OoT instead of continueing my own. The difference being ofcourse that I didn't save after whatever I messed around with

Pretty funny writeups by the guy, kind of reminds me of reading old Dave Barry stuff.

Also: if those pictures are accurate, then the kid not only replaced his ancient sword with a soup ladle, but also got him a lynel sword. If that's the case, I'm impressed.

Ivan 3414

Yeah, anyone saying "Oh kids" after this story tells me that they have a problem with telling their kids "no". Which is...hey, raise your kids how you want, but don't expect everyone to sympathize with you, and don't assume everyone who doesn't sympathize with you to be childless and/or a minor. That's certainly not the case.

Aurongel

Okay so is there context to this that I'm missing? The author doesn't seem to be actually upset by any of this yet the first page of this thread seemed to have a different read on it.

Top Bottom