• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When gaffers suggest names for an OT... but thread creator decides otherwise.

pixelation

I've seen it happen in the gaming side for new game OT's, and also for community threads (*cough* Pics that make you laugh *cough*). Gaffers will suggest really good names for an OT (OT sequel) and often times the majority of the members seem to agree with a clear winner amongst very good recs... but then the day comes and the thread finally pops up and... oh dissapointment, the OT creator decided to go against the grain and get creative with their own name for the thread. I know they're not obliged to go with one of the names that were suggested for the OT... but i still find it quite funny (and honestly a bit maddening lol).

pbsapeer

Banned
I've seen it happen in the gaming side for new game OT's, and also for community threads (*cough* Pics that make you laugh *cough*). Gaffers will suggest really good names for an OT (OT sequel) and often times the majority of the members seem to agree with a clear winner amongst very good recs... but then the day comes and the thread finally pops up and... oh dissapointment, the OT creator decided to go against the grain and get creative with their own name for the thread. I know they're not obliged to go with one of the names that were suggested for the OT... but i still find it quite funny (and honestly a bit maddening lol).
giphy.gif

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
People suggesting dumb names for OTs is corny and happens too often. Every video game OT is some unfunny meme and every off-topic community OT is some inside joke for the 8 people that post in the thread.

"audiophile thread OT 9 - pancake batter sounds like what??? honk honk!"

I guess this is irrelevant to the OP point though since the thread creator would likely just pick another silly name rather than something normal. Just wouldn't be the more popular silly name.

Xe4

Banned
who cares what a thread is called just name it something

Yeah, I agree. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what a thread is called or what people want, usually that's just a fun game people play. As long as the name isn't offensive or anything, it doesn't really matter.

Mortemis

Banned
People suggesting dumb names for OTs is corny and happens too often. Every video game OT is some unfunny meme and every off-topic community OT is some inside joke for the 8 people that post in the thread.

This

Yeah not gonna name and shame but this happened twice from the same guy earlier in the year.
Both games had a clear favourite and then the OP chose some weird obscure reference no one else understood for both of them.
I think he actually PMed a mod to change it for one of them because of the backlash lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Thread naming privileges come with being the OP of a thread.

You can certainly suggest a good title, but he or she is still going to have the final say.

TBH I would just suggest "Microwave" for every thread.
And then everyone would see that's an amazing name, use it, and love me forever.
Sucks to be u OP.

I guess this is irrelevant to the OP point though since the thread creator would likely just pick another silly name rather than something normal. Just wouldn't be the more popular silly name.
Pls audiophile gaf community use this as your next one

noFunAllowed.jpg

What's so bad about fun thread titles? I don't get how people are bothered by them.

Also, it's fun suggesting new titles for the next OT thread.

Sadly just like the actual OT itself, no matter the effort, it's something I glance at once and move on to the latest post. It's not a big deal.

KdotIX

The one that gets me every time is the "Star Wars Battlefront |OT2|..." thread. Always have to double take as I think it's a thread about the new SWBF2 game.

Uh, ok OP?

Not everyone is going to share your very own opinions at any given time even if it the popular one.

That's life.

If you feel so strongly about something take the initiative to do it yourself.

You're not a kid anymore.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm still pained the OT title for the new season of Orange is the New Black wasn't called Poussey Riot.

It would have been great, goddamnit!

Top Bottom