• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

colinp

Banned
Lunar_Knights(undefined)_header_17064.jpg

-----------
Release Date
-----------

US: February 6 - $29.99
EU: March

-----------
Box Art
-----------
US | EU

img4276040.jpg
box_eur.jpg

-----------
Story
-----------

It is an age known as the Stellannium, a time when man wanders freely between stars... even to a remote planet called Earth.

Vampires have terrified humans by their very existence since mythic times, when folklore ruled the world of men. The dark tribe has now overcome its weakness against sunlight, using new powers obtained from outer space. In addition to their formidable Casket Armor, they also wield control of the paraSOL, an atmospheric control device.

Eternal night closes upon the Earth. People have little time to decide whether they will serve the vampires as slaves, or die fighting.

The story of two boys unfolds against a backdrop of terror and despair. One wields the Dark Sword against the vampires of the past. THe other has no combat experience, yet he holds the power of the sun in his heart.

This is their story...

---
Slick Play Magazine :)lol ) Lunar Knights Cover
---

PDF File of the exclusive cover

---
Characters
---

51421020060612_011103_0_big.jpg
Lucian is the Dark Swordsman who wields the blade Vanargand. He generally doesn't socialize, and only allows his comrade Nero to get close to him. He harnesses moonlight to control the power of darkness: a force said to be beyond the grasp of mere humans.

h-104_57379_bokutai018.jpg.jpg
Aaron is an apprentice Gunslinger in an underground organization, the Guild, that has rebelled against the vampires. He acts recklessly, but he matures through his experiences with Toasty and Lucian. Taking his father's keepsake in hand- the Solar Gun named Knight- he transforms sunlight into incredible firepower against his enemies.

---
Gameplay
---

Descend into the gothic world of Lunar Knights: Vampire Hunters and take control of two adventurers on a quest to rid their world of evil. One hero is guided by the moon and uses swords to dispatch his opponents, while the other is powered by the sun and takes on the forces of evil using his firearms. Together they must explore their land, improve their skills, solve puzzles, and uncover the mystery of the dark force that opposes them.

Features:

Two different heroes with unique powers and weapons

In-game day/night cycle and weather affects gameplay

Use the touch pen to solve puzzles and guide your vehicle through 3D shooter mini games

From the renowned design studio Kojima Productions

---
Super Slick 1200x1801 Lunar Knights Art
---

It's BIG! Might take a bit to load...

---
Screenshots
---

lunar-knights-20070202005331742.jpg
lunar-knights-20070202005332757.jpg
lunar-knights-20070202005334054.jpg

lunar-knights-20070202005334539.jpg
lunar-knights-20070202005335007.jpg
lunar-knights-20070202005335460.jpg

lunar-knights-20070202005335882.jpg
lunar-knights-20070202005336335.jpg
lunar-knights-20060922044320118.jpg

---
Previews
---

IGN Chat with Producer Ryan Payton

"IGN: So this is a follow up to Boktai. Why the complete separation?

Ryan Payton: With Lunar Knights we're trying to create a new franchise really because, rather than calling it Boktai 4, we changed so much of the game, and it's a new story so we're totally forgetting everything that happened in the Boktai series. The character have new names, they've got new pasts, it's a completely different world and it's no longer a goth world. It's a goth/sci-fi mix. So were doing so many different things where it just doesn't seem appropriate to call it Boktai. There's too many changes for us to call it Boktai in North America and Europe. In Japan however we are calling it Boktai DS. Boktai is rebuilt, reborn and with the Nintendo DS we're starting from scratch."

1UP 11.28.2006

"There's plenty of depth to be found in the character customization -- both Aaron and Lucian can be powered up in three different categories, the former emphasizing weapon energy and the latter prioritizing strength -- and weapons can be upgraded with spare parts found along the way. And the production values can't be faulted, as the game's 2D isometric graphics look good and are punctuated by abundant full-motion anime sequences at pivotal moments."

Gamespot 2.1.2007

"You've got to hand it to the developers at Kojima Productions that Lunar Knights throws a ton of different things at you--from traditional hack-and-slash dungeon-crawling to cool space-faring side missions and a little bit of stealth action thrown in for good measure. And that's just in the first two chapters."

IGN 2.2.2007

"Lunar Knights seems to be a successful mash-up of several different genres. The game is a fun action-adventure game with RPG elements, with some 3D shooting sequences thrown in for good measure."

---
Videos
---

Cinematic Trailer (GameVideos.com)

Gameplay Vid 1 (YouTube)

Gameplay Vid 2 (YouTube)

YouTube Search Results

---
Reviews
---

1UP - 9.0

"Lunar Knights is easily one of the finest games to date for Nintendo DS. Like the bard said, it plays just as sweet by any other name."

GameSpy - 4.5/5

"If you loved the Boktai games this is the best you're going to get for a sequel; if you didn't love them or even care then try this one anyway -- it's really that good. Let's just call it one of the best Kojima Productions games out there, and hope it do as well on that big PS3 game I hear they're working on."

Game.Brink - 88 (take out the . )

Gamespot - 8.4

"With so much going on in Lunar Knights, you never get tired of the experience, despite the game's healthy, 10-hour-plus running time. Even when you finish the single-player game, there's a multiplayer duel mode for you to mess around with as well. Lunar Knights is a really well-crafted action adventure game in nearly all regards. Although it may be daunting for those who shy away from a challenge, it's worth the fight and one of the best games of its kind to appear on the DS."

IGN - 8.2

"Lunar Knights doesn't stray too far from the Game Boy Advance engine, but the extra horsepower and capabilities of the Nintendo DS definitely allows for a bigger and better experience. The game can handle a lot more on-screen objects and enemies, for example. Touch screen power-ups offer up some cool ideas to take out enemies when you're all charged up. And the extra cartridge space beefs up the presentation with brief spoken dialogue, some pretty awesome animated cutscene video clips, and a quality, energetic soundtrack."

Modojo - 4/5

"What isn't in Lunar Knights? Anything resembling a bad game. No fault of Lunar Knights is enough to make it anything less than one of the best titles on the DS. The game is, as everyone seems to agree, more Castlevania than Metal Gear, but who could fault Konami for bringing their two best franchises into a beautiful marriage?"

Game Informer - 8

"Sure, leveling up and collecting new items requires nothing more than going through the motions for seasoned gamers. But any title that can throw in as many new systems and nail the core gameplay as well as Lunar Knights does has a spot waiting for it in my library."

EGM - 9.0, 8.0, 7.0

Nintendo Power - 8.0

1UP Show Video Review Round Table

---
Crazy Cool Wallpaper from Official Japanese LK Website
---

wp-a.jpg

800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x1024

wp-b.jpg

800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x1024

---
Slick Links
---

Official English Lunar Knights DS Website

Official Eurupe Lunar Knights DS Website

Official Japanese Bokura no Taiyou: DS Website

Kojima Productions Report Podcast About Lunar Knights
(here's a direct link to the MP3 file of said Podca- right click, etc..)

---
End (thanks PatherLotus, aparisi2274, john tv, Temujin, and GDJustin for links and such)
---

ethelred

The Boktai games always struck me as really well designed action RPGs that I would've enjoyed if I could actually play them... but I couldn't, because most of my portable gaming is done when I'm at work or when I'm traveling or at night, not when I'm sitting out in a sunny meadow.

So I've long been quite interested in Lunar Knights since it looks to carry over the really solid design, but ditch the sun requirement. And the playable demo of the game was fun... so I'm definitely picking it up this week.

Getting this.
Hopefully it'll be in this Wednesday...guess I should somehow make time between FF3, FF6, Megaman ZX, and Rocket Slime.

Oops

ethelred

Fewr said:
I'm looking forward to this. I don't like the new characters though.

Only one of the characters is new... Sabato. The other is Django, the same guy from Boktai.

'Course, they both got renamed for the US version, since Konami's trying to make a clean break from the old series name given its generally poor reception.

Gigglepoo

I would be a lot more interested in the game if it featured actual knights on the real moon.

"Knave! Thou hast besmirched this fair maiden's name. I hereby banish thee to the Sea of Tranquility!"

colinp

Banned
ethelred said:
The Boktai games always struck me as really well designed action RPGs that I would've enjoyed if I could actually play them... but I couldn't, because most of my portable gaming is done when I'm at work or when I'm traveling or at night, not when I'm sitting out in a sunny meadow.

So I've long been quite interested in Lunar Knights since it looks to carry over the really solid design, but ditch the sun requirement. And the playable demo of the game was fun... so I'm definitely picking it up this week.

Yep yep, I think they realized this round that the solar sensor did more harm than good. Glad to see it gone, and am eagerly awaiting the pick up on Wednesday. Yay Lunar Knights!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You know these official threads are my favorite threads on GAF. It's the one place most people can put aside their shit and really get down on one topic.

Well, I don't have a lot to add, but I can contribute a little:

From the DS Screen Shot Thread (56k no)
Lunar Knights - 1, 2, 3, 4

Each number represents another post full of screen shots. If this game turns out to be one of the more highly-recommended games, I will definitely have to pick it up.

Tiktaalik

The game looks awesome, but I'll probably have to hold of for a little bit. There are waaaay too many games on my plate right now.

john tv

Hey, thanks for posting this! I was gonna post one myself yesterday but I got bogged down in work.

Ryan Payton (the US ver. producer) said he would try to drop in and contribute to the thread, so let's keep it on topic. :) We worked together on the US version, so if you have any questions, feedback, geeky trivia about LK or its ilk, etc., this is a good place to talk about it.

ethelred said:
Only one of the characters is new... Sabato. The other is Django, the same guy from Boktai.

'Course, they both got renamed for the US version, since Konami's trying to make a clean break from the old series name given its generally poor reception.
Yep yep. There was a character named Sabata in the third Boktai game, which unfortunately never made it to the US. Whether or not he's related to Lucian in LK is a mystery... :)

Fortunately, the team made it a point to allow players to change their names in the beginning of LK, in case purists or old Boktai fans want to switch over to the original Japanese versions.

Love your RPG impressions, BTW! Hope you enjoy LK as much as you hated Legend of Heroes. :lol

Ichirou

Banned
A few years back I was watching X-Play and heard Adam Sessler say how the main character in Boktai was named after Django Reinhardt and all I could do was shake my head and sigh, "Not really..."

It's weird, but this game interests me more due to the Django and Sabata movie references more than anything else.

ethelred

john tv said:
Yep yep. There was a character named Sabata in the third Boktai game, which unfortunately never made it to the US. Whether or not he's related to Lucian in LK is a mystery... :)

Fortunately, the team made it a point to allow players to change their names in the beginning of LK, in case purists or old Boktai fans want to switch over to the original Japanese versions.

Ah, okay. I didn't realize that Sabata was in the third game. Like I said, while I could appreciate the general design behind them, I just couldn't get too much play out of the games in the series. It's not that I have any unhealthy fears of the outdoors or sunlight, it's just that they don't really mesh with my portable gaming.

john tv said:
Love your RPG impressions, BTW!

Thanks! I'm glad someone does, at least! :)

john tv said:
Hope you enjoy LK as much as you hated Legend of Heroes. :lol

I hope so, too (I try to go into most games fairly optimistic, unless the devs give me plenty of ammo to feel otherwise beforehand) ... though, I don't actually hate Legend of Heroes. I just don't think it's a good game. There are some RPGs that I really do hate... :lol

john tv

ethelred said:
Ah, okay. I didn't realize that Sabata was in the third game. Like I said, while I could appreciate the general design behind them, I just couldn't get too much play out of the games in the series. It's not that I have any unhealthy fears of the outdoors or sunlight, it's just that they don't really mesh with my portable gaming.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I played a bunch of the first Boktai back in the day for a review, but if not for that, I probably would've given up because I do most of my gaming at night or on the train. But I really wanted to play through it otherwise. Same with Boktai 2 and the Japan-only Boktai 3. All really awesome games, unless you're someone whose life doesn't allow for a lot of time in the Sun. :)

ethelred said:
I hope so, too (I try to go into most games fairly optimistic, unless the devs give me plenty of ammo to feel otherwise beforehand) ... though, I don't actually hate Legend of Heroes. I just don't think it's a good game. There are some RPGs that I really do hate... :lol
I hear you. I'm kind of a Falcom nut so I didn't mind the LoH games, even though there were very obvious issues with the gameplay (or lack thereof), but the localizations were so incredibly awful that I literally couldn't take it, so I switched over to the Japanese versions instead. The more recent LoH games in Japan are actually really, really good--hoping Falcom continues to do their own PSP ports from now on, because their quality standards are very high.

Err, sorry to get off-topic there. Back to Lunar Knights. :)

colinp

Banned
ooh, john tv spill some of the games geeky trivia! Actually, I would also love to see concept/official art if you have the means to access that kind of thing.

I'm also not familiar with the Django and Sabata movies... Anyone care to elaborate on them?

Munin

They're both rather popular spaghetti westerns. Though I doubt the game is related to them in any way directly. Italian westerns have a bigger fanbase in Japan than one might believe so I think the designers just chose those names because they're cool and all.

Soul4ger

Have this game preordered, and paid off in full. Have the first three Boktais, love the series, can not wait for this game.

And john, have you played Sora no Kiseki FC on PSP? Any word on its quality?

RaidenZR

If anyone sees this pop up at Best Buy can you please chime in here? I have a coupon so that's where I'll likely be purchasinf good ol' US Boktai 3.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I really want this game. I never played Boktai but this title looks fantastic.

Teasel

well i loved the first and liked the second,hope this turn out to be good
the password puzzle of the first was totaly awesome,basicaly you would read a password on a sign but when you reached the door that password wouldn't work... the solution?
the password was actualy the current time so if you were playing at the 4.30 PM the password would be 1630
also first game that has box puzzles but doesn't force the player to do them (you can ask the game to solve them for you but the game will say you are a pussy)
another thing i loved about the game was how every monster acted in a different way,if a golem was chasing you,you could stop it by making it crash into another golem, and you had to be carefull when fighting cockatrices since if you take them by surprise they go crazy and start to shot stoning beam everywhere (of course this mean that cockatrice would hit other enemy :D )

colinp said:
ooh, john tv spill some of the games geeky trivia! Actually, I would also love to see concept/official art if you have the means to access that kind of thing.

I'm also not familiar with the Django and Sabata movies... Anyone care to elaborate on them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(film)
A gun runner, Django, who drags a machine gun in a coffin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sabata_Trilogy

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tomorrow, official (just called GS). Gotta pre-order Izuna as well and still no date for Raw Danger PS2.

LK looks damn awesome, btw. All I know is that it's Kojima, it's 2D, there's vampires and it's isometric view. Can't possibly go wrong!!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oh wow, the temptation for this one is deep. Wonder how the stock of it will be. I'm thinking this may be one of those "pass it up and it is gone" games. "/

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RevenantKioku said:
Oh wow, the temptation for this one is deep. Wonder how the stock of it will be. I'm thinking this may be one of those "pass it up and it is gone" games. "/

It's a no-brainer:

It's Kojima, it's 2D, there's vampires and it's isometric view.

Buy it!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
bob_arctor said:
It's a no-brainer:

It's Kojima, it's 2D, there's vampires and it's isometric view.

Buy it!
Believe me, my heart says yes.
My wallet says "OH JESUS BALL****"

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Eric P said:
i had 0 interest in this until now

now i'm cautiously optimistic

i've been burned before on ds hype
Children of Mana, burned me out on most DS hype.

RevenantKioku

There was hype for CoM? I paid $20 and was satisfied.
Let the internet give you interest, not hype. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Atlagev

john tv said:

Sabata was actually playable in Boktai 2 as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
siamesedreamer said:
How's this compare to something like Children of Mana?

Does CoM have Vampires? In space? And an isometric view? And a shooter level?

Lunar Knights has all these things so it wins.

A Wise Man said:
will be picking up tomorrow. loves me some 2d konami games.

Look everybody, just buy the damn game. It's like Lost Planet syndrome or something!!

Top Bottom