• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

john tv

TekunoRobby said:
Huge congratulations for johntv and Ryan Payton for this game. Haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward too it!
Aww, thanks, but all we did is localize it. The guys who made the game are the ones who should be getting the props (I can try and dig up full credits later, but the director is Ikuya Nakamura and the producer is Kensuke Yoshitomi, both of whom worked on the MGS series in addition to previous Boktai games).

colinp

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Man, more artwork for this game needs to be released. I love the shaded stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's hard to grab shots from the websites since they're all crazy flash driven.

ethelred said:
Non-auto targetting, which means you need to be precise in your movements and attacks.

Great writeup, but I think it is important to note that while there is no auto-targetting, there is a (this will be a crappy analogy) Zelda-esque lock-on system by pressing the right shoulder pad button.

ethelred

colinp said:
Great writeup, but I think it is important to note that while there is no auto-targetting, there is a (this will be a crappy analogy) Zelda-esque lock-on system by pressing the right shoulder pad button.

Yeah, I found that out when I went through Aaron's training, which was right after I finished my impressions post. And then I got Lucian back and discovered he had it, too. Disappointing -- I think the lock-on would be fine for the gun, given the angle of the overhead perspective and how that plays into long-range attacks, but I just don't see it as necessary with a melee weapon.

sammy

.......... damn i hear nothing but good things about this one.

it's not even x-mass, and i still can't keep up with all the DS goods.......

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wait, so how did you feel about Children of Mana, ethelred?

sammy

from IGN review:
In fact, Lunar Knights takes a closer step to Castlevania since the design removes almost all traces of puzzle elements. Oh, you'll find the occasional "find the key" or "hit the switch" items in this DS game, but ultimately Kojima Productions decided to crank up the action on the dual screen version. The lack of head-scratching is definitely missed, but honestly it's nice to see the game's energy being kicked up a notch thanks to the higher saturation of enemies and cooler weapons.

that sounds great to me --- the puzzles were always great in the Boktai games, but i always wished they were toned down - since the world was just fun to explore. it was also a damn stress to manage the puzzles, while feeling rushed with realtime/sun mechanics.

Got stuck behind a mountain in FF3 and lost about eight hours worth of play-time so I traded it in and got this.

It rocks. Aaron kind of sucks though cause he's weak as hell at first and has to yell SUNLIGHT every few seconds to keep his gun charged but whatever.

The game is cool though. I like the Cheridan Manor's maid..cool VA there.

My only caveat is that the first 3D shooting battle runs a bit long. I mean it was pretty easy(cept for that boss..yikes) but eh maybe further levels will change my thoughts on it.

Took a little time out to finish off Rocket Slime so I'm looking forward to hopping back into this game.

Chapter 3 btw. I like how both characters gain exp even though only one is doing the fighting.

colinp

Banned
ethelred said:
Yeah, I found that out when I went through Aaron's training, which was right after I finished my impressions post. And then I got Lucian back and discovered he had it, too. Disappointing -- I think the lock-on would be fine for the gun, given the angle of the overhead perspective and how that plays into long-range attacks, but I just don't see it as necessary with a melee weapon.

meh, it isn't like you are forced to use the lock-on.

Personally, I don't think it would have been as good without it. The control isn't there to get the angle right during an attack. At least, I have trouble going diagonally at times with the default control scheme. WOuld have just been frustrating without the lock-on.

Played about 30 minutes of LK today. Too much like Boktai for my tastes. There's something derivative and uninspired about this series that keeps me from getting into it. Otherwise, the game is a solid, unextraordinary action/RPG. Nothing really stands out, good or bad.

RPS37

miguel_c_hammer said:
Played about 30 minutes of LK today. Too much like Boktai for my tastes. There's something derivative and uninspired about this series that keeps me from getting into it. Otherwise, the game is a solid, unextraordinary action/RPG. Nothing really stands out, good or bad.
That's basically what I was expecting after:

Jeremy Parish: 9
Shane Bettenhausen: 8
Michael Donahoe: 7

Looks like I'm sticking with Portrait of Ruin still.

P.S.
January
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo)
Arthur & the Invisibles (Atari)
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Justice for All (Capcom)
Fossil League DTC (D3Publisher)

February
Diddy Kong Racing DS (Nintendo)
Lunar Knights (Konami)
F24 Stealth Fighter (Majesco)
Disney's Kim Possible: Global Gemini (Buena Vista)
Meteos: Disney Magic (Buena Vista)
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (Konami)
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (Atlus)

March
Wario: Master of Disguise (Nintendo)
Custom Robo Arena (Nintendo)
Disney's Herbie: Rescue Rally (Buena Vista)
Disney's Meet the Robinsons (Buena Vista)
Spectrobes (Buena Vista)
Steel Horizon (Konami)
Cake Mania (Majesco)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (D3 Publisher)
TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) (Ubisoft)

:(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ugh. Finally got (two copies of the) game today, in the very last store I was planning to search for it. Admittedly, I probably should have gone there second or third.

2 days and 8 or so stores later. NYers, if you're still looking for it, the Times Square Toys R Us still has a few in stock. Not many, though.

I looked in:
Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) EB - Only enough for reserves
Atlantic Terminal Target - 0
Atlantic Terminal CC - 0
Nintendo World Store - 0
Rockefeller EB - 3 (2 were reserves, 1 sold out immediately)
5th Ave BB - 0
5th Ave FYE - 0
Times Square TRU - enough

So. This game links up to Boktai and Boktai 2 for bonuses. Extra light energy, extra items in the shops (depending on Boktai cartridge, apparently). Also, it seems that entering a Boktai 2 password will net you new starting equipment.

Any concrete details on these bonuses?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fantastic game. However, there is one thing that's driving me bonkers.

If I'm moving diagonally, then switch to moving straight up and down without taking my thumb off the dpad, half the time it registers this as a double press and I enter turbo mode. Which sucks in so many ways... it bleeds energy, it makes me fly into obstacles, it makes me run into vision cones, it makes me run into an enemy and get hit, etc.

Anyone else notice this?

Mejilan

I'm not having any problems with diagonals so far.

I am having a problem not getting any exp for my kills. :(

colinp

Banned
Every once in awhile I have the same experience FlyinJ. I had a lot of trouble going diagonally when I first started playing, but I am finding it gets easier as I get used to it.

I'm having a lot of trouble "whistling" consistently (done by blowing into the mic...).

Meji, what do you mean? I've leveling up at a pretty consistent rate.

Mejilan

Until Nero mentions exp, you can't gain any. I'm now level 3. Woo!

Edit -

1) Bea's got bowbs.
2) These heroes clearly aren't Sabata and Django, since it takes place centuries after Boktai 1, 2, and 3. Yes, I realize that in the JP version, they were named Sabata and Django. But they're not THE Sabata and Django from prior Boktai games.
3) Bea's got bowbs.
4) Kinda disappointed at some of the graphics and sounds. Sticks too close to the GBA games, IMHO.

4) Kinda disappointed at some of the graphics and sounds. Sticks too close to the GBA games, IMHO

Konami recycled GBA artwork and sound for a DS game? Shocking! :lol

That is really the one thing about the DS that irks me - so many companies just seem to think of it as a GBA+, rather than use its full power.

Koomaster

Played 4 hours so far today alone, I'm up to the 2nd boss
es. The sibling vampires and their stupid robots. Yarg! I was doing good till their robots combined into one and they started shooting me with those orbs. Didn't help that I had no health items left. Doesn't really benefit you to stock up on them before you go in a dungeon since they expire after so long. Still I must say...

Excellent game, the presentation is very slick, I'm definitely hooked! :)

Konami recycled GBA artwork and sound for a DS game? Shocking!

Don't really mind them recycling graphics and sound. What I mind is the way this game recycles gameplay. After about an hour, I've almost completely lost interest in finishing it. There's nothing compelling enough to warrant the time. Without the solar sensor, Boktai/LK is so bland as to be indistinguishable from any other ARPG.

Hopefully Kojima Productions' next DS game will be something new and different that actually takes advantage of the hardware.

My BB didn't have it in. I'm thinking of just ordering it online. That'll give me the weekend to get further along in HD.

Keep the impressions coming though.

Mejilan

So far so good. Everything that made Boktai 2 such a great ARPG without the bullshit gimmick that made it so inaccessible.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Does everyone else's energy replenish lightning fast?

Do you mean when you are in the moonlight/sunshine and press A? If so, how fast it replenishes is based on how much light or moonlight there currently is. On the sky display, running along the bottom of the screen, you should see ten blocks and either a sun or a moon (depending on which is out). The more blocks that are colored in the faster your energy will replenish.

As the sun goes down, and there gets to be more cloud cover, you'll get less blocks etc... Pretty slick.

About to enter the second boss Koomaster. I'm at the 4 1/2 hr mark. :D

Mejilan

Nah, outdoors Lucian's energy replenishes automatically, and near-instantly. Not so indoors. All is as it should be, I suppose.

colinp

Banned
Koomaster said:
Played 4 hours so far today alone, I'm up to the 2nd boss
es. The sibling vampires and their stupid robots. Yarg! I was doing good till their robots combined into one and they started shooting me with those orbs. Didn't help that I had no health items left. Doesn't really benefit you to stock up on them before you go in a dungeon since they expire after so long. Still I must say...

I kicked ass :D

I used up all of my items fighting them in their seperate form, and once they joined I *luckily* still had full trance on Lucian. So I went into bat shit insane mode and Y'd them to death. That thing is powerful! Didn't take more than three or so hits, and they never had a chance to touch me.

Mejilan

BTW folks, you can get Throttles, Lenses, Solvents, Leather, Iron, and Steel all in the very first area of the game.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
BTW folks, you can get Throttles, Lenses, Solvents, Leather, Iron, and Steel all in the very first area of the game.

Yeah, I think they kind of went about handling junk parts in a peculiar way.

I quickly got to the point where I had filled the items that I'm carrying with misc items and junk parts, and the only way to pick up more items was to manually click on all the junk parts to identify them. Once they are identified they automatically get sent to the pile of junk parts, and no longer take up precious inventory space. This turns into more of a hassle than anything, having to continuously open the item screen to get rid of the junk parts so I can pick up more fruit, etc..

It's a little niggle, but it's kind a strange design decision, no?

Mejilan

It'd be one thing if you had to go back to a town or shop to ID them. So yeah, agreed. Doing so manually in the inventory is all kinds of pointless.

Mejilan

Most CD-based games don't come with alternate language tracks. You can be sure that a cart-based game won't.

Thus the :lol

The :( was implicit. (VA blows so far).

Llyranor

Bah, I was just spoiled by Portrait of Ruin, though that game barely had any VA.

It wouldn't really be too much of an issue if the VA didn't sound awful in the newest trailer. Saturday morning cartoon caliber.

Mejilan

IIRC from the sound test menu, this game has something like 483 voice bites. Given how compressed the FMVs are, I imagine that there simply wasn't enough space to double the number of voices.

ethelred

Mejilan said:
The :( was implicit. (VA blows so far).

I don't think it does (aside from Aaron's, unfortunately). It's pretty damned campy -- which I think is in the spirit of the game, so I'm fine with that.

Mejilan

ethelred said:
I don't think it does (aside from Aaron's, unfortunately). It's pretty damned campy -- which I think is in the spirit of the game, so I'm fine with that.

DQVIII spoiled me, perhaps. THAT was how you do campy Saturday morning cartoon VA. LK is just freakin' atrocious. I did like the Margrave's though. But that's it.

ethelred

Mejilan said:
DQVIII spoiled me, perhaps. THAT was how you do campy Saturday morning cartoon VA. LK is just freakin' atrocious. I did like the Margrave's though. But that's it.

DQVIII's voice acting was cartoony, but it wasn't campy. LK's is. And I don't think it's atrocious (again, aside from Aaron; yikes).

Mejilan

Just got to Chapter 2. Aaron. Yikes is right.

Dhoulmagus. Campy. So were plenty of other minor characters.

Edit - Otenko > Toasty :(

john tv

ethelred said:
DQVIII's voice acting was cartoony, but it wasn't campy. LK's is. And I don't think it's atrocious (again, aside from Aaron; yikes).
Agreed. DQVIII may or may not be cartoony, but it's definitely not campy! Fantastic voice acting all around.

Can't speak too much for LK's voices as that was all handled internally, but I will say A) the camp is -definitely- intentional, and B) the talent pool for English-speaking voice actors in Japan is pretty low compared to the US. Heard any VF5 voices lately? Ouch.

I can definitely speak for Toasty, though. :) We actually went straight to Hideo Kojima himself for his blessing on that one, since he's the guy who came up with the original concept. Otenko may be familiar now after two Boktai games, but it makes no sense in English; Japanese players get a little chuckle out of the name, but that was lost in the translation -- it was never meant to be taken uber-seriously.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stop reminding me how badly I want this game. This, Etrian Odyssey and Rocket Slime are all in strong contention for my next purchase.

Only 2 people reserved it at the EB I work at so we only got one extra for retail sale. One of the reservers picked up their copy and the extra sold, so it looks like I'm snagging that reserve tomorrow since the 48 hours will be up.

Sorry dude.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Fennec fox's resume

- Worked at GamePro, 1up, etc

- Breeds ferrets

- Invented the word "terrennial"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So this is fast becoming my favorite DS game yet.

Adore the presentation, humor, and action. Some might find it infuriating, but I love the tension of seeing the time transition to night, knowing that suddenly Aaron is rendered useless without gorging on energy reserves.

Dunno what the complaints surrounding the VA are, I find it all spot-on given the theme and tone of the game. Kudos.

Toasty though? Cmon now...

Not totally certain how crafting works quite yet. I haven't spent time grinding for drops, but I'm assuming it needs to be done.

Also, I've noticed some ??? for sidequests in the early areas, do I need to discover them in town talking to peeps? Will they make themselves known later on during progression? What's the deal?

Top Bottom