• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else having the problem where the character dashes when you don't want him to? I find that moving diagonally on the dpad to a straight direction results 25% of the time as a dash... the game is thinking I'd double tapping when my thumb never leaves the Dpad.

It's absolutely infuriorating.

duckroll

FlyinJ said:
Is anyone else having the problem where the character dashes when you don't want him to? I find that moving diagonally on the dpad to a straight direction results 25% of the time as a dash... the game is thinking I'd double tapping when my thumb never leaves the Dpad.

It's absolutely infuriorating.

Yeah it happens all the time, but that's still not as bad as the shooting segments in the game. The touch accurancy is totally off at times. I'm surpised they left so many of these problems in the US version and didn't even touch up the interface considering it's been over half a year since the Japanese release...

ethelred

duckroll said:
Yeah it happens all the time, but that's still not as bad as the shooting segments in the game. The touch accurancy is totally off at times. I'm surpised they left so many of these problems in the US version and didn't even touch up the interface considering it's been over half a year since the Japanese release...

22/11//06 --> 06/02/07 = > 6 mos.?

That's some funky math, ducky.

colinp

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah it happens all the time, but that's still not as bad as the shooting segments in the game. The touch accuracy is totally off at times. I'm surpised they left so many of these problems in the US version and didn't even touch up the interface considering it's been over half a year since the Japanese release...

Hmm, I'm using a brand new DS Lite and I have no touch accuracy problems during the shooting segments. Would a new DS have better accuracy or is it a software thing?

re the d-pad, yeah I have that trouble sometimes as well. It happened a lot more often when I was first playing, but I have found a work around that seems to help.

Hopefully this will make some sense, but I found that if I smother my thumb a bit more on the dpad I tend to be able to do diagonals a lot easier. Usually I just use the tips or near tips of my thumb to move around on a d-pad, but this leads to the dreaded dash when you don't want to. So now I got in the habit of keeping my thumb relatively flat, and not arching, and covering a bit more of the dpad as a result. Hope that helps... ymmv of course. Kinda silly that you need to do that, and yeah, it should have been fixed, but I wouldn't say it's game breaking or anything.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Diags sometimes trigger a dash, and it is annoying, but I'm not having any touch screen problems either.

If you try shooting something that is still very far away, you have to realize that you might miss those few pixels that represent the enemy ship. If you hit the touch screen on something other than a valid target, you'll shoot dead-ahead (and probably miss everything). If you wait for the enemy to get a bit closer, its hit target will be bigger and you'll miss less.

RaidenZR

Hey Mej, I've tried the in-dungeon weather trick a few times and it hasn't worked. Am I missing something for the process or do you just do the trance bit and hope it clicks?

keanerie

Once I used Nero's Trance and it turned to night. The effect was only temporary (changed back to day pretty quickly), though, or I might just be remembering everything completely wrong.

duckroll

Mejilan said:
If you try shooting something that is still very far away, you have to realize that you might miss those few pixels that represent the enemy ship. If you hit the touch screen on something other than a valid target, you'll shoot dead-ahead (and probably miss everything). If you wait for the enemy to get a bit closer, its hit target will be bigger and you'll miss less.

Oh is that so? That's exactly what's happening then. I was actually under the impression that I would shoot where I tap, instead of it being a forced "lock-on or miss" thing. Weird design choice...

RaidenZR

Just got to Chapter 6 this evening. Story's taking a pretty dark turn at this point, and that's all I'll say about that.
Fighting Dumas was pretty cool since his pattern was pretty cunning and decipherable but still surpassable.

Oh, and I wanted to provide an example of just how much thought went into some of the gameplay nuance. I was on top of the train and the wind picked up pretty harsh, but I noticed that you aren't affected by that wind for just one basic space if you stand behind one of those blocks. Total class, that Kojima studios.

--tips hat--

Christian

I've been playing the game pretty consistently over the past day, and I really like it. The localization makes me cringe in some parts, though, but I think it's really good at other parts. Great installment in an already great series, IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
Picked this up to support Mr. Payton and Konami. Never played the Boktai games before, so this better rock.

colinp

Banned
Bebpo said:
Picked this up to support Mr. Payton and Konami. Never played the Boktai games before, so this better rock.

Oh it rocks Bebpo, don't you worry about that. The question is whether you are capable of realizing just how much it rocks. :D

A lot these reviews whine about the shooting sections and honestly I can't see it. I love the only being able to move or shoot mechanic, and frankly that's where the fun and difficulty comes from. If you were just moving the ship around with the d-pad and shooting with the stylus it would be dull and easy.

Raiden, I'm in the Dark Castle right now. Hopefully I'll finish it up tonight! All the Terrenials talk while inside the Dark Castle (I'm a third through the second floor) is intense. The story is entering dimensions I never expected, and from the sounds of it the story only gets more crazy after this. LOVE IT!

Mejilan

duckroll said:
Oh is that so? That's exactly what's happening then. I was actually under the impression that I would shoot where I tap, instead of it being a forced "lock-on or miss" thing. Weird design choice...

Yeah, it is a little odd, but once you get used to it, it's not really much of a hindrance.

RaidenZR said:
Hey Mej, I've tried the in-dungeon weather trick a few times and it hasn't worked. Am I missing something for the process or do you just do the trance bit and hope it clicks?

From what I understand, some of those weather stones can be triggered by affecting the current weather parameters (raining, snowing, wind above a certain speed, temperature above/below a certain level), etc.

Those can be affected by using elemental trances, since these trances only affect certain parameters, not change the actual weather condition type entirely.

Something like that. That's how it was explained to me. Some weather stones can only be triggered by leaving the dungeon and flipping the weather condition type. But before you do that, try to change select weather conditions using the appropriate terrennial. (Fire to raise the temperature, wind to speed up airflow, others to force rain/snow, etc.)

I can't test this since I recently started over and haven't acquired any terrennials yet.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
I can't test this since I recently started over and haven't acquired any terrennials yet.

Ah, you crumbled under the "must get/complete every quest" pressure, eh? :lol

Just got to Chapter 6.
Chapter five is definitely where the shit hits the fan, so to speak. I like all the terrenial talk about only being concerned with what is best for the planet, and that is the only real reason why they're helping out. The fact that the immortals were using the vamps was pretty obvious, but I thought it was interesting that Dumas begged Lucian and Aaron for help right before he gets zapped up. The story is turning out to be surprisingly deep.

Favorite Aaron/Nero quote from Chapter 5 (minor spoiler):
Aaron: But he's a cat! How are you supposed to pilot a ship with paws?
Nero: Hey, you got a problem with that, boy?

I'm about four hours into Lunar Knights and I just don't seem to see or play what everyone else is. I haven't played either Botkai games , so I had no expectations waling in to this title.

I gotta say this, I absolutely despise the boiler plate, anime character designs in this game. They're just absolutely wretched. It's a Kojima Productions game, why couldn't they have gotten some better art for it? Why go with the bad Saturday morning cartoon vibe? For the same bullshit reason the DS Castlevania's have had ass-tastic art? **Note: When I say art I'm not refering to the in-game sprites, that may be evidently clear to some, but others...** It's off putting to the point where I just want to skip through any sort of extended conversatiosn and/or cut scenes.

The gameplay's got some twists with the energy management mechanic, but it's really repetitive and simplistic.

The one thing that bothers me the most is how much I have to constantly go to the item screen to manage my inventory. I'm constantly flipping back and forth to make room for stuff. The scrap pieces you have to examine are the biggest offenders.

Mejilan

Yeah, the way they handled the junk parts is extremely annoying, and unnecessarily so. Which is what makes it even more annoying.

colinp said:
Ah, you crumbled under the "must get/complete every quest" pressure, eh? :lol

Indeed I did. I also put it down in order to finish Phoenix Wright 2.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Indeed I did. I also put it down in order to finish Phoenix Wright 2.

I just had a character say to me:
So have you gotten all the Quests yet? If you finish the game and decide to go through it all again, your Quests and their current status will all be carried over, so don't worry. If you missed a Quest this time, you can always try for it the next time around.

Couldn't help but think of you :lol

john tv

D'oh! I told you not to start over... :) I'm pretty sure you can't miss any quests; I'm playing through now to try and verify on my own but as far as I remember, they don't go away. You just need to finish the first tier ones before you can unlock the second tier ones.

Mejilan

john tv said:
D'oh! I told you not to start over... :) I'm pretty sure you can't miss any quests; I'm playing through now to try and verify on my own but as far as I remember, they don't go away. You just need to finish the first tier ones before you can unlock the second tier ones.

I wasn't able to trigger the chapter 1 quest (transport the herbs) from chapter 3 or 4, and I know that if I don't do the first quest for that map, I'll never get the second.

I think I overdid the grinding though. I got Lucian up to level 16, and his Dark Sword up to level 5 before I finally beat the first boss...

Mejilan

So it turns out that you don't need to tap the screen to keep shooting, as I thought. At least with the default Dark shot, you can simply keep the stylus ON your target and your ship will keep on firing as fast as it can. Should make boss ship battles a bit easier, I think.

Edit - Hey. Does the US version start you off with the Boktai 3 song in the sound test? I just bought the Boktai and Boktai 2 songs, and Boktai 3 is there as well. They are tracks 78, 79, and 80, respectively, in the sound test.

john tv

Mejilan said:
I wasn't able to trigger the chapter 1 quest (transport the herbs) from chapter 3 or 4, and I know that if I don't do the first quest for that map, I'll never get the second.

I think I overdid the grinding though. I got Lucian up to level 16, and his Dark Sword up to level 5 before I finally beat the first boss...
Wow, level 16?! You're crazy. :) How long did that take?

Mejilan said:
Edit - Hey. Does the US version start you off with the Boktai 3 song in the sound test? I just bought the Boktai and Boktai 2 songs, and Boktai 3 is there as well. They are tracks 78, 79, and 80, respectively, in the sound test.
Doesn't start you off with them, no.
You get those by sticking copies of Boktai and Boktai 2 in the GBA slot. In the JP version Boktai gets you 78, Zoku Boktai (Boktai 2) gets you 79, and Shin Boktai (Boktai 3) gets you 80, but in the US one, I'm guessing maybe 79 and 80 come together? Since Boktai 3 never came out in English.

colinp

Banned
Hey wait a sec, you need to buy the songs to unlock them, or do you get more songs when you do a specific something or other?

I think I only have the first two songs unlocked and that's it (I don't have any Boktai carts either..).

Mejilan

John TV, about an hour and a half. I bought all the Irons I needed to get the sword that high, and just farmed Boks for Solvents. I also saved up enough to buy the two songs, and every accessory currently available, before beating Chapter 1. Completed the Herb Quest too.

Yeah, I bought the 3000 Sol musical icons from the first store. First with Boktai 1 inserted, and a second with Boktai 2 inserted. Upon using them, it granted me the songs from Boktai 1 and 2, respectively. That's fairly clear. And I had done this before I restarted also, but only with Boktai 2, and had only received the Boktai 2 song. I'm guessing that doing it with both Boktai 1 and Boktai 2 will unlock the Boktai 3 song, because I didn't not have it in my old save.

Colin, I hear that getting the rest of the unlockable songs is only possible in New Game +, that they show up randomly in treasure chests, or something.

Atlagev

Hey, great game and great localization, but...

Spoilers from Chapter 5:

I've seen Perrault referred to as both a "he" and a "she." Unless I'm missing something... Are they referring to someone else? Anyone else notice this, or am I the only one?

keanerie

What the funk, why is Aaron's arsenal so varied while Lucian's just got one weapon? I just started Chapter 5, Aaron's got
the default weapon, the Witch (rocket launcher), the Ninja (dual pistols), and the Bomber (grenade launcher / shotgun-thing)
while Lucian only has the Vanagrand (I don't remember exactly what it's called). Did I miss some side quests or chests that get Lucian some other weapons? I remember reading he get a scythe and a spear or something of that nature.

john tv

Mejilan said:
More like, "Dyyaaaaang it", no? :lol

Man, the VA in this game is AWFUL.
Yeesh, harsh. :lol I thought they did a decent job with it, given the circumstances. I dunno where "dang it" came from, though, sorry. It was originally
dammit
. Like I said earlier, maybe they thought it would've been a ratings issue.

Has anyone finished the game yet? Wondering how long it's taking people on average.

duckroll

Well for what it's worth my sis is really enjoying the game. I've put it aside for now because Sekaiju and Megaman ZX are enough on the plate for the moment. I'll get to it eventually though, the plot seems pretty interesting.

Mejilan

:lol Don't feel bad. The localization is great so far (though I hear there is some gender-confusion with one of the NPCs), but I haven't gotten that far yet, so... *shrugs*

Honestly, the VA is, for the most part, bad in a good way. When I hear something like that "Dang it" I can't help but crack up!

I'm having too much fun grinding! Some of those optional quests are really great for early-game leveling!

keanerie

Yeah, actually, I love the "dang it!" - it's great. And the VA is, for the most part, lovably bad. Aaron sometimes makes me cringe a little, but he has that effect on me in general. In the bigger picture, the localization is mostly really great. Captures a kid's cartoon feel without being grating, which is no small feat.

john tv

Mejilan said:
:lol Don't feel bad. The localization is great so far (though I hear there is some gender-confusion with one of the NPCs), but I haven't gotten that far yet, so... *shrugs*

Honestly, the VA is, for the most part, bad in a good way. When I hear something like that "Dang it" I can't help but crack up!

I'm having too much fun grinding! Some of those optional quests are really great for early-game leveling!
I hear you on the grinding; I've been taking on quests the moment they open up, even if I'm obviously underleveled. I just keep playing them and building up EXP (and junk parts) until I'm strong enough to get through them, and then move on. It's fun!

Kinda curious to go back and finish the Japanese version now; Ryuusei no Rockman hit the bargain bins all over Japan (duckroll: any idea why? does it suck?), so I'm interested in dabbling in the crossover stuff if I can figure it out.

Mejilan

I'm actually kinda surprised by how little Aaron's VA bothers me. Dr. Sherridan's, however...

duckroll

john tv said:
Kinda curious to go back and finish the Japanese version now; Ryuusei no Rockman hit the bargain bins all over Japan (duckroll: any idea why? does it suck?), so I'm interested in dabbling in the crossover stuff if I can figure it out.

No idea. I've stayed away from all the Rockman EXE stuff so far. Kiyogi and Error are the resident Rockman experts though, so maybe they know. If I had to guess I would say the series is waay overmilked so far. It's pretty much played like a pokemon clone by Capcom, with yearly anime series early morning on weekends and multiple varients of each game. I guess people just got sick of it.

Mejilan

john tv said:
I hear you on the grinding; I've been taking on quests the moment they open up, even if I'm obviously underleveled. I just keep playing them and building up EXP (and junk parts) until I'm strong enough to get through them, and then move on. It's fun!

Hell yeah, I was doing a quest before with level 15 baddies, whereas up until then, I was only facing off against level 8 beasties. It was a pretty exciting change of pace!

Peh. The Boktai 2 password link-up feature and the Megaman EXE crossover quest and special equipment rewards were all seemingly ripped right out of the US version of Lunar Knights. As was the WFC mode. Double peh.

I played a tiny bit of this today. It's pretty damn good. Obviously, I don't know where the shit parts of the game are, but I enjoyed the bit I played.

Mejilan

Shit parts? Unless you're completely intolerant of Saturday morning anime cartoon designs and matching VA, I'd argue that there ARE no shit parts. The games is freakin' fantastic, so far. Excellent ARPG gameplay with a distinct focus on grinding, yet without sacrificing speedy and satisfying character and weapons growth and development. Two playable characters that feel and develop independently. A crazy-fun shooter mode to top off each chapter. And tons of hidden/optional content to keep you busy and generate good grinding opportunities without making it feel old.

And to top it all off, a comprehensive New Game + mode that includes more equipment, more things to do, another mode, and two (that I know of) additional difficulty levels for the main game.

john tv

Mejilan said:
Hell yeah, I was doing a quest before with level 15 baddies, whereas up until then, I was only facing off against level 8 beasties. It was a pretty exciting change of pace!

Peh. The Boktai 2 password link-up feature and the Megaman EXE crossover quest and special equipment rewards were all seemingly ripped right out of the US version of Lunar Knights. As was the WFC mode. Double peh.
There is no Boktai 2 password link-up, actually; that was an error in the manual. The Japanese version has a Boktai 3 password link-up, but since Boktai 3 never came out in English, that feature was removed from the US version.

As for the Ryuusei no Rockman crossover stuff and the network mail functions, I don't know the reason for that stuff not making it in, so you'll probably want to beg novery for some inside info. :) The mail feature isn't all that interesting, to be honest; the crossover stuff I'm assuming didn't work out due to scheduling difficulties between Konami and Capcom.

BTW, kean, Mej, and whoever else--thanks for the kind words on the localization. Good or bad, any feedback is always more than welcome.

TiVo

One place to level up is
right before you get on the train there is a room with respawning(4 times) pigs. You get like 390= points for each kill.
I like the sound they make when ya kill 'em "Riiii".

Mejilan

john tv said:
There is no Boktai 2 password link-up, actually; that was an error in the manual. The Japanese version has a Boktai 3 password link-up, but since Boktai 3 never came out in English, that feature was removed from the US version.

As for the Ryuusei no Rockman crossover stuff and the network mail functions, I don't know the reason for that stuff not making it in, so you'll probably want to beg novery for some inside info. :) The mail feature isn't all that interesting, to be honest; the crossover stuff I'm assuming didn't work out due to scheduling difficulties between Konami and Capcom.

BTW, kean, Mej, and whoever else--thanks for the kind words on the localization. Good or bad, any feedback is always more than welcome.

Thanks for clearing it up. The manual sucks then! SUCKS! What a tease! :(

I don't mind the Megaman quest being removed, but they should have rebranded the gear and made it attainable in another way. :(

Stripping out features just plain blows.

Doesn't change the fact that the game kicks ass, ass, ass however!

Top Bottom