• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

john tv

Brandon F said:
Also, I've noticed some ??? for sidequests in the early areas, do I need to discover them in town talking to peeps? Will they make themselves known later on during progression? What's the deal?
They open up after you reach certain points in the story, but only if you talk to the right person. As a general rule, it's a good idea to talk to everyone in the game (NPCs, shopkeepers, Sheridan and his maid, etc.) after every major event just to see if they have anything new or interesting to talk about. They often have multiple things to say, too, so don't stop after the first dialog. You'll definitely find some quests this way if you're thorough.

Falling into pits = game over is not cool IMO.
Granted the 100 fee to revive is keen but still...annoying..

I usually end up saving before crossing any pit. :/

I'm liking how the item system works. Depending on the weather and what's in your inventory better items can be created(ones that don't turn rotten after a period of time even). I don't really have to do anything as this happens automatically so it's a nice surprise everytime I open my inventory to sort out the junk.

Chapter 4 now:
Got me a spear wooters. Ooh and dual mechguns for Aaron..rocking.

Oh and I prefer the NA voices by default.

Apparently I'm retarded.

What the hell do you do after you visit the professor in the very beginning? I bought the 4 iron I needed, but now I'm stuck.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DXMachina said:
Apparently I'm retarded.

What the hell do you do after you visit the professor in the very beginning? I bought the 4 iron I needed, but now I'm stuck.

There's another part of the initial dungeon to explore--right next to the one you beat the 1st boss. This is where they introduce Nero's (the cat) ability to imbue your sword with his power. Or something like that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
john tv said:
They open up after you reach certain points in the story, but only if you talk to the right person. As a general rule, it's a good idea to talk to everyone in the game (NPCs, shopkeepers, Sheridan and his maid, etc.) after every major event just to see if they have anything new or interesting to talk about. They often have multiple things to say, too, so don't stop after the first dialog. You'll definitely find some quests this way if you're thorough.

:grumble:

Clicking on an NPC more than once is one of my greatest pet peeves in RPG-dom.

Teasel

well so far i defeated the ice boss and the game has failed to impress me
basicaly it's boktai without any new addiction only
- they removed the puzzles
- while you can still be stealth and in fact in a part or two it's required it's pretty obvious that wasn't the main idea,this also is reflected in the absence or change in behavior of some monster... gone are the mummy who would chase you the same instant you made a rumor and wouldn't find you if you crawled to a wall and now the bok are just spread randomly across the level
- they made it feel less to an alternative to castlevania and more to one of those kiddie anime show (django trance mode look so ugly)
- the shoting section are meh and totaly unrequired,they would also be better if they worked with normal control
- the paraSol system is just stupid,basicaly it dumb downs to "you can't reach that chest unless it's cold outside! time to exit dungeon and re-enter again with the right weather!"
so yeah even though i think i'm the only one here in this topic i'm pretty disappointed with the game so far

novery

fennec fox said:
Fennec fox's resume

- Worked at GamePro, 1up, etc

- Breeds ferrets

- Invented the word "terrennial"

That's a nice resume! Can we add "invented the word celestimal" to it? Or does that go on John TV's?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This is a really good game. Great work to everyone involved. I just started the game and beat the first boss. Loving it so far.

john tv

novery said:
That's a nice resume! Can we add "invented the word celestimal" to it? Or does that go on John TV's?
Nope, fen gets the credit for that one too! :) He is clearly the master of small animal naming, as I'm sure his ferrets can attest to.

Llyranor

john tv said:
Can't speak too much for LK's voices as that was all handled internally, but I will say A) the camp is -definitely- intentional
So how appropriate is it for the story? Does the game not take itself seriously? Not that that's a bad thing.

Koomaster

colinp said:
I kicked ass :D

I used up all of my items fighting them in their seperate form, and once they joined I *luckily* still had full trance on Lucian. So I went into bat shit insane mode and Y'd them to death. That thing is powerful! Didn't take more than three or so hits, and they never had a chance to touch me.
Yeah, on my next try that's EXACTLY what I did. I concentrated on using Lucian's sword to attack that one, using up my health items. Then went into trace mode in their combined form. They couldn't even move once I kept draining them with Y. It's almost overpowered.

At Chap. 4 and just got a Lance.
Decided to go to the first area of the game and enter some places I couldn't get to before (destroying those elemental blocks). Also remembered someone talking about Margraves Basement. So I went to where I defeated him, and the level continues on underground. At the end of this dungeon I found the Jorgumandr - it has an interesting charge shot!

It's a great idea to visit the professor and upgrade your weapons too. Lucian's sword chain attacks four times now instead of three. :)

colinp

Banned
Koomaster said:
At Chap. 4 and just got a Lance.

Woot! I got that too.

Do you have any idea how to use those brown/beige statue thingy's that are in dungeons? I thought I remember someone saying that they can be used to change the weather while you are in a dungeon, but I have no idea how to use them. Do you know what I'm talking about? I can't find them in the manual or anything...

Upgrading weapons is definitely good fun. And I dunno what the hate is against the shooter sections. I love the whole dynamic of those sections. I nearly got my arse handed to me against the boss on the first one, but by the second one I was kickin' ass and takin' names.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The shooter sections rock. I just made to where you guys are. Beating
the two vampires
was fun. I was getting kicked around at first, until I figured out the easy strategy to beat them. I used up most of my loot though :(

colinp

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
The shooter sections rock. I just made to where you guys are. Beating
the two vampires
was fun. I was getting kicked around at first, until I figured out the easy strategy to beat them. I used up most of my loot though :(

:D

Luckily loot drops pretty frequently, so you shouldn't have too much need to pick some up at town or anything. Maybe a few things for the journey, just to be safe (preferably non-rotting).

The whole rotting fruit & melting chocolate thing just blows my mind. Strange but oh so cool. I've got some amulet on (I think it's an amulet anyway) that prevents me from getting poison.. It works great against the poison spitting spiders, but I never tried it while eating rotten fruit. Hmmmmmm, I wonder.

Tiktaalik

I wasn't going to get this game right away because I got a lot of games on my plate yet, but I noticed that it's only C$29 at Futureshop!! I'll probably grab it at that price.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Teasel said:
well so far i defeated the ice boss and the game has failed to impress me
basicaly it's boktai without any new addiction only
- they removed the puzzles
- while you can still be stealth and in fact in a part or two it's required it's pretty obvious that wasn't the main idea,this also is reflected in the absence or change in behavior of some monster... gone are the mummy who would chase you the same instant you made a rumor and wouldn't find you if you crawled to a wall and now the bok are just spread randomly across the level
- they made it feel less to an alternative to castlevania and more to one of those kiddie anime show (django trance mode look so ugly)
- the shoting section are meh and totaly unrequired,they would also be better if they worked with normal control
- the paraSol system is just stupid,basicaly it dumb downs to "you can't reach that chest unless it's cold outside! time to exit dungeon and re-enter again with the right weather!"
so yeah even though i think i'm the only one here in this topic i'm pretty disappointed with the game so far
you sure like complaining about stuff you dont pay for

S-Wind

john tv said:
I think his point is that the word "lunar" was around an awfully long time before Game Arts came along... :)

So?

The word "gauntlet" was around for a very very very long time too. Yet Midway caused Working Designs enough trouble that vic changed "Detonator Gauntlet" to " Vanguard Bandits".

Okay, I have to know... where are you people finding this game? Two EBs, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, FYE, Toys R Us, Game Crazy... nothing. Only place left to check is K-mart and I'm debating whether or not that trip would even be worth it. I *could* order online but I hate using my debit card if I don't have to...

colinp

Banned
Economan said:
Dose this game have more puzzle solving type stuff, or is it more of an action/fun type of game?

Puzzle light to non-existant. Definitely more action-rpg esque.

LittleTokyo, I just checked the ebgames.com locator thingy for Lunar Knights and all but one of the stores within a forty mile radius have one. Where do you live? In the boonies?

Koomaster

colinp said:
Woot! I got that too.

Do you have any idea how to use those brown/beige statue thingy's that are in dungeons? I thought I remember someone saying that they can be used to change the weather while you are in a dungeon, but I have no idea how to use them. Do you know what I'm talking about? I can't find them in the manual or anything...

Upgrading weapons is definitely good fun. And I dunno what the hate is against the shooter sections. I love the whole dynamic of those sections. I nearly got my arse handed to me against the boss on the first one, but by the second one I was kickin' ass and takin' names.
The nearest I can figure, you can't control them directly while inside the dungeon (at least not yet hopefully). But they are usually present when there is a weather puzzle is nearby. If they are glowing red, it means the weather conditions are right to complete the puzzle.

So far only visiting the professor allows you to change the weather.

And the 3D shooting sections are boss! Now that I have a bunch of terrenials, I like switching them and trying out the different projectiles. The wind terrenial confused me for a while since it wasn't firing, then realized that my ship was invulnerable while moving - excellent if you're in a pinch, uses up energy quickly tho!

john tv

S-Wind said:
So?

The word "gauntlet" was around for a very very very long time too. Yet Midway caused Working Designs enough trouble that vic changed "Detonator Gauntlet" to " Vanguard Bandits".
Shrug. Midway gets a cookie. WD could've probably fought that off if they tried but I'd imagine it wasn't worth the time and legal fees. By this logic, WD must owe Atari and FCI millions for Lunar Lander and Lunar Pool... :p

LittleTokyo said:
Okay, I have to know... where are you people finding this game? Two EBs, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, FYE, Toys R Us, Game Crazy... nothing. Only place left to check is K-mart and I'm debating whether or not that trip would even be worth it. I *could* order online but I hate using my debit card if I don't have to...

After my BB didn't have it I figured it may be a little hard to find. So, I just went ahead and ordered it off Game Quest Direct. I'm glad I did too because my Target didn't have it either.

Koomaster

Has anyone noticed "magic bulbs" appearing in your inventory? I don't ever remember picking these up, but I had like 4 or 5 suddenly in my inventory. Does rotten fruit sometimes turn into them (they look like rotten fruit except lighter in color), or am I just oblivious to picking these things up?

They seem to be pretty powerful, they don't spoil and restore 50% of your energy.

Economan

colinp said:
Puzzle light to non-existant. Definitely more action-rpg esque.

LittleTokyo, I just checked the ebgames.com locator thingy for Lunar Knights and all but one of the stores within a forty mile radius have one. Where do you live? In the boonies?
AWSOME THANKS (oops caps), No I don't live in the boonies

RaidenZR said:
How do I get to use the gliders in some stages? Do I have to change the climate to Humid?

Change it to the Cold/Windy climate.
You use them by checking the "H" icon on the nearby wall. If you use them during less windy climates you won't reach the cliff on the other side.

colinp

Banned
Koomaster said:
Has anyone noticed "magic bulbs" appearing in your inventory? I don't ever remember picking these up, but I had like 4 or 5 suddenly in my inventory. Does rotten fruit sometimes turn into them (they look like rotten fruit except lighter in color), or am I just oblivious to picking these things up?

They seem to be pretty powerful, they don't spoil and restore 50% of your energy.

Yep, apparently certain climates turn rotten fruit into bulbs. As Lisbeth the shopkeeper told me, "for Earth and Solar fruits, it seems to depend on the temp and wind."

RaidenZR

Man the weather system blows this game WIDE OPEN. There's so much depth with what it does to items, enemies, stages, and weapons that it's hard to keep track initially. I'm having a hard time retaining what does what now that I've gotten the Earth and Wind Terrenials

S-Wind

john tv said:
Shrug. Midway gets a cookie. WD could've probably fought that off if they tried but I'd imagine it wasn't worth the time and legal fees. By this logic, WD must owe Atari and FCI millions for Lunar Lander and Lunar Pool... :p

Not just logic, but trademark laws.

The trademarks for Lunar Lander and Lunar Pool expired long before LUNAR: The Silver Star was even conceived. Whereas GameArts/Ubisoft released LUNAR: Genesis/LUNAR Legend less then a year and a half before Lunar Knights.

Big difference.

Unless you guys also think that any ol' company, say Capcom, can release a game called "God of War Avenger" and not get into a ton of legal hot water with Sony.

Likewise, I don't think Sony can release a game titled "Halo Warrior" and not get yanked into court by Microsoft.

colinp

Banned
DXMachina said:
How do I get past those green cubes? I just beat the first boss and I'm clueless as to what to do.

You can't get past them yet. Eventually you will get more terrenials (others similar to Nero the black cat) that will give you the energy to break the different colored cubes...

colinp said:
You can't get past them yet. Eventually you will get more terrenials (others similar to Nero the black cat) that will give you the energy to break the different colored cubes...

Wait, so after I get the ability for Nero to enchant my sword or whatever the ****, where do I go?

colinp

Banned
DXMachina said:
Wait, so after I get the ability for Nero to enchant my sword or whatever the ****, where do I go?

There shouldn't be that many options. I can't remember exactly where you are, but did you talk to everyone in town? Are you sure you made it to the end of the dungeon? You must be missing something if you are stuck that early 'cuz there really isn't much to do.

Koomaster

colinp said:
Yep, apparently certain climates turn rotten fruit into bulbs. As Lisbeth the shopkeeper told me, "for Earth and Solar fruits, it seems to depend on the temp and wind."
I went looking for an answer to this and found out all kinds of things can be combined to create different foods and benefits based on the climate. The game has a lot going on!

colinp

Banned
Koomaster said:
I went looking for an answer to this and found out all kinds of things can be combined to create different foods and benefits based on the climate. The game has a lot going on!

Share the wealth! :D

I think it was Humid that turned my Solar Fruits into into Magic Bulbs.

What do you mean by "combined" though?

colinp

Banned
I just returned to the Sewers and found a passage blocked by a red square..

After a long haul through an ice dungeon you get a super powerful Scythe named Hel for Lucian. Hold down Y to power up and unleash a crazy spin attack- sweeeeeeet.

RaidenZR

Just a quick question for the localization guys:

You can get away with saying hell and bastards with an E rating now? Pretty edgy, sirs.

ethelred

The more I play into this game, the more its complete awesomeness reveals itself. I liked it to begin with, but I am loving it more and more as I progress further in -- the tightness of the gameplay, the depth of all the different stuff in it, the great campy story and characters, etc.

Some things I'm liking here beyond the initial impressions I posted earlier:

- the shooter sections are fantastic. Sure, maybe it's not as thorough or challenging as a fully developed stand-alone shooter game -- but it's really well designed all the same, the controls are fun, and as you get more terrenial weapons, it becomes even more enjoyable because of the options you have. Switching between the rapid-attack light shot versus the wide-range explosive fire shot and the standard dark attack... great fun and an enjoyable way to end each chapter.

- really having fun grinding for junk for the weapon upgrades.

- unlocking the paraSOL climate manipulation, and acquiring new environments to screw around with, is an excellent gameplay addition, and as some posters have commented previously, though it's a bit subtle, there's a ton of depth in this. I love the way different climates interact with various items in the game -- for instance, the frontier town sells a piece of armor that increases its defensive capabilities the higher the temperature is, which makes it a perfect combo with the arid desert climate.

- I like all the different options the terrenials open up for you in combat. I like that Aaron and Lucian get different trance attacks for each terrenial, depending upon their element -- though I was surprised the first time I attempted to use Lucian's HP-sucking trance and instead realized I was being asked to draw circles to create explosive rings of fire on the screen.

- also, I continue to be very impressed at how well integrated blocking is into the general flow of combat, and how well balanced it is between the need for directional precision and watching the guard gauge. The game is not just pure hack and slash -- there's very much a rhythm to the combat where you pull off a combat, parry an attack, and then push forward to attack again. I like that.

It's amazing how well designed this game is as far as action RPGs go... and how completely under-the-radar it is. It was completely ignored in Japan, and it looks like it won't be doing too well in the US, either. Damned shame.

colinp

Banned
ethelred said:
It's amazing how well designed this game is as far as action RPGs go... and how completely under-the-radar it is. It was completely ignored in Japan, and it looks like it won't be doing too well in the US, either. Damned shame.

Unfortunately, I think FFVIa being released the same week hurt it the most. =/

And, yeah, "dang it!" is the only voice over that grates on my nerves, particularly since Lucian acts so badass in every other way. Not that I don't understand why they need to use dang it, it just sounds a bit strange... I do *love* the campy story though.

When Aaron first sees the ship you fly during the shooter sections he says something to the effect of:

Aaron: Woah. That's amazing!
Nero: You know you can be really annoying.
Aaron: But...but that's just awesome! :lol

I <3 Nero

ethelred

colinp said:
When Aaron first sees the ship you fly during the shooter sections he says something to the effect of:

Aaron: Woah. That's amazing!
Nero: You know you can be really annoying.
Aaron: But...but that's just awesome! :lol

I <3 Nero

Well, yeah... and then
Nero says, "We can leave him in outer space."

Who would've thought we'd get a new RPG flying cat even better than Ruby and Nall?

colinp

Banned
ethelred said:
Well, yeah... and then
Nero says, "We can leave him in outer space."

Who would've thought we'd get a new RPG flying cat even better than Ruby and Nall?

:lol Good point. And hey all of those flying cats star in games that begin with the word Lunar!

Top Bottom