• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

Carlisle

EU boxart >>>>>> US boxart

I want to buy this asap, but my wallet says wait and see :( I just picked up Yggdra Union and FFVI, so those will provide plenty of fun tide-over time until I can convince my wallet we're good to go.

I will aquire this product tomorrow at my local Gamestop video game establishment in exchange for currency.

Loved Boktai and Boktai II so I'm really pumped for this.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Been excited for this game for some time... can't wait to pick up a copy after this class WOO!

also, has anyone heard anything about the length/difficulty of the game yet?

The reviews ahve been looking good so far, and I already have it preorederd so I'll most likely pick it up. Need to do a lot of catching up on these DS titles...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've got so many backlogged games to play right now but as soon as I get my hands on this it's going to the top of the list. I enjoyed the Boktai games with the light sensor gimmick stripped out (via rom hacking) so I have a feeling this game is going to be amazing.

1UP.com said:
Lunar Knights is easily one of the finest games to date for Nintendo DS
And I was finally making progress through the mighty DS backlog. Welp, I guess one more game on the pile can't hurt. Maybe I'll go track this down after work.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
RaidenZR said:
If anyone sees this pop up at Best Buy can you please chime in here? I have a coupon so that's where I'll likely be purchasinf good ol' US Boktai 3.
This is Boktai 4. Boktai 3 was Shin Boktai, a GBA game that was never released here.

Sallokin

Not a single store in my town expects to get this game this week. =(

Guess it's time to make a trip down to El Paso.

Atlagev

Just picked up my copy of this and HOtel dusk from GameStop. They had *a lot* of copies of Lunar Knights, and not really any reserves for it, which is concerning. :-/

Please, everyone! BUY THIS GAME!!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
5 stores later, no luck.

2 of them were Gamestops. 1 had the game, but only for reserves. The other did not.

:(

Hey john tv, why'd they have to ditch the old art style? I know they are trying to get away from Boktai, but this new art style sucks so much in comparison to the old artwork.

angelfly

I picked the game up at EB today and they only had 3 left. I'm playing through it and I really like it so far. I might pick up the Boktai games since I never had a chance to play them.

colinp

Banned
I called the local Gamestop around 1 this evening, and they said they had two copies. I asked to hold one, and by the time I went to pick it up after work the other copy was gone.

Woot! They also had a used DQ: Rocket Slime for $17.99, so I dutifully picked that up too.

let the good times roll :D

ps the podcast was really interesting- I encourage everyone to check it out

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Ok, the faqs aren't up and I have a question.
when you first need to upgrade your sword, can you do it after you beat the chimera (scorpion/lion) you need 4 iron and 2 solvent. Where can I get the solvent? Do I have to beat margrave first?

Jammy

Banned
Shit GAF. I just bought Phoenix Wright: Justice For All less than a month ago. I haven't bought Hotel Dusk: Room 215 yet, but judging by all of the people liking it over here, I guess I'll have to get that soon. This weekend I'm planning to get FFVI: Advance, and now this? My poor DS!

Jammy

Banned
My poor wallet, my poor GPA, my poor Wii (and I was thinking of getting Sonic, SSX, and Metal Slug this month...)!

College has been non-stop the past week or so, and I don't think it will clear up until the end of next week. I'm in the last case in Phoenix Wright 2 and I'd like to beat that first before doing any more purchasing.

colinp

Banned
This game kicks ass. I've played about an hour and am roughly at the same place as Laramie...

Laramie said:
when you first need to upgrade your sword, can you do it after you beat the chimera (scorpion/lion) you need 4 iron and 2 solvent. Where can I get the solvent? Do I have to beat margrave first?

I haven't found solvent yet either, but if you go back to the mansion or whatever that first level was enemies do drop junk parts. I haven't picked up solvent yet, but I am going to go ahead and take on margrave (unless I happen to find solvent during my travels to margrave).

This is my second DS game, the first being Elite Beat. My hands are cramped holding the damn thing!

Oh, and the music in LK kicks ass too. I <3 Lunar Knights!

angelfly

Laramie said:

I've beaten margrave and still could find the solvent.

btw what skills are most of you focusing on when leveling? I have changed any of them yet since I still haven't made up my mind yet.

colinp

Banned
angelfly said:
I've beaten margrave and still could find the solvent.

btw what skills are most of you focusing on when leveling? I have changed any of them yet since I still haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm in the interior of the Mansion, just wandering around and hacking baddies apart, and i just picked up solvent. Yay! Now to spend the soll to go upgrade or wait until I'm in front of margraves door...

I've done vit 3, spr 2, skill 4

I'm probably going to focus on spr eventually since that seems pretty key in the game. I'll probably level spr and skill close to each other, and let vit lag a bit. WHo needs health when you're a badass?

Umino

Yeah I found the solvent and bet margrave. I was level 10 too. That casket shooter was hard. Has anyone tried using two stylii to move the ship and to shoot?

colinp

Banned
Killed Margrave...
The anime cutscene before and after the fight was awesome.

The cutscenes can be a bit pixelated at times, but it is definitely impressive and smooth. I like the voice work as well.

The shooting sections are great fun. I think the whole mechanic works really well, moving the ship around and then tapping on enemies to shoot. It can get manic trying to avoid missiles and the like, and the first boss fight gave me a run for my money (I guess I was a bit careless at the start!). Not too much trouble though :D

It is easy to see the Zelda influence in the game. Zelda + Vampires = woohooo!

Lucian is a pretty great character. And hey, who doesn't love having a flying cat as a sidekick?

colinp

Banned
Laramie said:
Yeah I found the solvent and bet margrave. I was level 10 too. That casket shooter was hard. Has anyone tried using two stylii to move the ship and to shoot?

My understanding is the DS touch screen doesn't recognize two input points. Anyway, using two defeats the whole purpose/"strategy"! Thought that would be kind of interesting to see.. I think your hands would get too much in the way even if you could do it.

Umino

I did notice that this was like zelda, just at an angle. It's the only great rpg on the ds that I've played so far.

Mejilan

There's a puzzle in Hotel Dusk that seems to recognize two points being touched at once.

colinp said:
And hey, who doesn't love having a flying cat as a sidekick?

It worked for me in the Lunar games. :D

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
There's a puzzle in Hotel Dusk that seems to recognize two points being touched at once.

It worked for me in the Lunar games. :D

Lunar_-_Nall.gif
Good times good times

Isn't the Hotel Dusk example some clever programming or something? I remember reading about it though, and Kohler complaining because he knew the limitations of the machine and that's why he didn't try the obvious solution. :lol This is all my bad memory, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mejilan

It's the circuit breaker puzzle less than halfway through the game. You need to flip two switches at once.
You can use two fingers to flip the two, but I found it easier with two styluses. When you press both points, a glowing dot appears in the exact middle spot between the two points you're pressing.

But I also tried to flick only that middle spot to see if it would trigger the puzzle's solution, and it did not. So I imagine that glowing spot was just a visual guide, nothing more.

Still, if the game could calculate the center spot between two touched points, then that means that the DS can register two points at once, no?

There does seem to be some software trickery involved though, because I know for a fact that other games only register the first touched point. Most likely, that's the system's default, and individual games would have to be programmed especially to recognize two points at once.

But... who knows? *shrugs*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think Hotel Dusk did use a trick there, as soon as the second spot is pressed the the cursor goes to the middle, they probably could program the game so that it recognizes when the cursor goes from one spot to the other so quickly.

Mejilan

jj984jj said:
I think Hotel Dusk did use a trick there, as soon as the second spot is pressed the the cursor goes to the middle, they probably could program the game so that it recognizes when the cursor goes from one spot to the other so quickly.

What I wouldn't give to a have a save right there so I could play around with it some more.

I thought I fiddled around with the 2nd switch just to see how the game (and the middle point) reacted. I don't remember though. :(

colinp

Banned
IGN's review

"Lunar Knights doesn't stray too far from the Game Boy Advance engine, but the extra horsepower and capabilities of the Nintendo DS definitely allows for a bigger and better experience. The game can handle a lot more on-screen objects and enemies, for example. Touch screen power-ups offer up some cool ideas to take out enemies when you're all charged up. And the extra cartridge space beefs up the presentation with brief spoken dialogue, some pretty awesome animated cutscene video clips, and a quality, energetic soundtrack."

RaidenZR

I went to three stores in hopes of embracing this sucker tonight. No dice. I'll try again tomorrow.

But, how's everyone liking it so far?

john tv

colinp said:
ooh, john tv spill some of the games geeky trivia! Actually, I would also love to see concept/official art if you have the means to access that kind of thing.
I don't have any art you haven't seen before; there's a bunch of additional art and concept sketches in the official Japanese strategy guide, but that's all that comes to mind. Is there an official guide for LK in the US or Europe? As for geeky trivia, a lot of that is probably best saved for after people have beaten the game and want to discuss stuff about the story. :)

ninj4junpei said:
Hey john tv, why'd they have to ditch the old art style? I know they are trying to get away from Boktai, but this new art style sucks so much in comparison to the old artwork.
Which art style are you referring to? The previous Boktai games? Or that promotional art from around E3?

Soul4ger said:
And john, have you played Sora no Kiseki FC on PSP? Any word on its quality?
A friend of mine played all the way through it and had nothing but positive things to say about it. I haven't played enough myself to give a detailed opinion, but it certainly looks nice!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sorry to hijack the thread but I wanted to throw out a quick explanation:
Mejilan said:
All simple resistive touch screens share this quirk. That includes: PDAs, touchpads on a laptop, electronic signature devices at stores, and the Nintendo DS.
Mejilan said:
Still, if the game could calculate the center spot between two touched points, then that means that the DS can register two points at once, no?
Technically it does recognize two inputs and calculates the center area but it can only track one input at a time. That is why when you do the puzzle in Hotel Dusk you can't flick both switches at once. Only the most recent input has any control over the movement of the glowing dot. If you have a laptop handy try out the touchpad; you'll encounter the exact same issue.

ethelred

Well, I got my copy. I think this is the first time I've gotten a DS game that Mej couldn't get. Take that, Nintendo World Store!

Anyway... John, you were right -- I'm loving it so far. And you guys did an excellent job on the writing / voice acting. Okay, let's see... some more detailed impressions.

The graphics are excellent. I know some people have bitched constantly about how the game looks like a GBA reject, and yes, there are some ways in which they could've been better... but the truth is that the backgrounds are very colorful and have lots of nice detail to them, the sprites are (again) very colorful and highly detailed, and have excellent animations. Watching Lucian's attack and defensive moves are really nice, just because of how smooth and fluid it is. Same with the enemies.

What's most impressive, though, is the generally high level of the production values in this game. Lunar Knights is blazing some trails for DS RPGs... unlike FFIII, which had the lovely opening cinematic and then that was it, LK seems like it's got plenty of high quality FMV cutscenes integrated into the game, and what's more, these cutscenes are accompanied by full voice acting (and good voice acting, too). The music's excellent. Zero loading and a smooth and simple menu interface also illustrate the production values in the game. The voice acting's not limited to the FMV cutscenes, either -- there are clips in battle, when you talk to NPCs in town, etc. Just a really solid presentation all around.

The story is campy, but fun. It's anime-styled alien vampires in space, with Star Fox look-a-likes, bunnygirls, and a cocky and smarmy purple-haired hero. The writing's very good, and it seems there's plenty of humor here (again: alien vampires in space; bunnygirls). Outside of the FMV cutscenes, the story is conveyed Fire Emblem-style -- static character illustrations over a text block. Good chance for the nice artwork and character designs to shine.

The best thing, of course, is the gameplay. The first dungeon alone is pretty huge -- not very mazelike, like SOTN games, but more straightforward... something you'd find in Secret of Mana, I guess. Nevertheless, it was still big and loaded with enemies, both of which are nice.

Combat is refined 2D overhead action RPG stuff... what's not to love? Non-auto targetting, which means you need to be precise in your movements and attacks. 3-hit combos (again, just like the animation, the attacks are very fluid and smooth). One really nice thing is how well blocking is melded into combat -- it's a pretty significant element, and most ARPGs don't handle it quite this well. Blocking is directional, so you can't just do a generic "guard." Also, you have a defensive gauge that decreases as you block, so you can't just stay in that stance. There are lots of little touches, too -- like blocking a charging enemy will cause him to get kocked down and dazed.

Other options in combat include using terrestrials (think elemental familiars) that allow you to add elemental boosts to your attacks at the cost of sapping your energy; trance-mode, which allows you to perform special attacks by using charges off a gauge that builds as you fight; using items. And this is just for Lucian -- Aaron's totally different, of course, since he uses his solar gun instead of the dark sword to attack.

I'm really pleased with this one so far. Much, much moreso than Children of Mana.

ninj4junpei said:

Konami seems to have a fetish with crappifying their artwork to a whole new degree of fail, exclusively on the DS.

Mejilan

Thanks for the explanation Tekuno. Interesting stuff. So with some clever coding, they can take into account 2 touch inputs at once... just not perhaps for action gaming, you say?

ethelred said:
Well, I got my copy. I think this is the first time I've gotten a DS game that Mej couldn't get. Take that, Nintendo World Store!

No fair. It's known that the Nintendo World Store doesn't get third party titles early. Hell, they usually get those late!

And for all I know, the NWS MIGHT have gotten the game today (but if not, surely tomorrow), but I didn't check since my office building is completely shut down since Tuesday night, and at least until Monday, due to a fire! (Gotta tell you, climbing down 33 flights of stairs wasn't really fun).

I hit up some Brooklyn (where I live) stores for Lunar Knights, and struck out. Tomorrow I think I'll hit up the city (including NWS) for Lunar Knights.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mejilan said:
Thanks for the explanation Tekuno. Interesting stuff. So with some clever coding, they can take into account 2 touch inputs at once... just not perhaps for action gaming, you say?
Actually no real coding required, its part of the standard package. The real trick is finding any sort of practical use of that little feature. Hotel Dusk is the only application I've encountered that has bothered to incorporate it.

Huge congratulations for johntv and Ryan Payton for this game. Haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward too it!

Top Bottom