• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lunar Knights DS Release Thread

Tiktaalik

My impressions after a half hour:

- There seem to be some weird references to stuff that's happened before (earlier Boktai games?). It's weird that this has been kept in, since it's confusing, and I thought they were trying to restart the franchise.
- Pretty terrible music so far.
- Ugliest. User Interface. Ever.

Other than that it seems good so far.

john tv

RaidenZR said:
Just a quick question for the localization guys:

You can get away with saying hell and bastards with an E rating now? Pretty edgy, sirs.
Well, "hell" is nothing these days but "bastard" is sometimes reserved for T-rated games. "Dammit" is also nothing, but for some reason that was changed to "dang it;" not actually sure why as that wasn't our doing, but it wouldn't have affected the rating.

What do you guys think about language in games? CliffyB was talking about this in the EGM interview recently, that he was surprised at how many more people were offended by the language than they were about the violence. I know you guys are way more hardcore than most, but I'm still curious how you feel about it. Like it? Dislike it? Don't care?

ethelred

john tv said:
Well, "hell" is nothing these days but "bastard" is sometimes reserved for T-rated games. "Dammit" is also nothing, but for some reason that was changed to "dang it;" not actually sure why as that wasn't our doing, but it wouldn't have affected the rating.

What do you guys think about language in games? CliffyB was talking about this in the EGM interview recently, that he was surprised at how many more people were offended by the language than they were about the violence. I know you guys are way more hardcore than most, but I'm still curious how you feel about it. Like it? Dislike it? Don't care?

I've always found society's obsession with considering certain words off limits ridiculous, especially when we use synonyms or abbreviations that all rational people recognize mean the exact same thing as the forbidden ooga-booga words. :p

But that's just me.

ethelred said:
I've always found society's obsession with considering certain words off limits ridiculous, especially when we use synonyms or abbreviations that all rational people recognize mean the exact same thing as the forbidden ooga-booga words. :p

But that's just me.

*shrugs* I don't use OMG or 'Oh my God', neither do I say 'damn' or 'hell'.

I'm not sure if one relates that to societal obligations, but those are pretty strong words in my religion, and thus I try to stay away from them.

'Shit' and 'crap' get limited use, too. I'm just not big on swearing in general.

RaidenZR

john tv said:

I don't really find it alarming or anything, just surprised the ESRB plays by the broadcast standards rules. I would expect them to be more anal considering how much scrutiny games gets in our "hot coffee" black period.

colinp

Banned
I can't say I care much about foul language in a game as long as it makes sense given the character and situation.

It can be easy to be overly gratuituous in the hopes of being teh mature, which is moronic, but as long as it is done well I don't mind.

Didn't San Andreas have a lot of swearing? Rockstar always does a good job with dialog, imo.

Koomaster

colinp said:
Share the wealth! :D

I think it was Humid that turned my Solar Fruits into into Magic Bulbs.

What do you mean by "combined" though?
Stuff I found out so far, like if you set a bar of chocolate over a banana in your inventory, when it melts, it will melt onto the banana and combine with it to become a chocolate banana. You can also melt chocolate over milk for chocolate milk. That's what I'm talking about by combining items.

To make Yogurt, milk has to spoil in temperature between 25 and 40 degrees and the humidity has to be between 60 and 70 percent. And you can make fruit yogurt by having fruit next to the milk when it turns to yogurt.

john tv said:

I don't mind cursing in games so long as it doesn't feel heavy handed, there's an art to using epithets.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game roooooocks so far.

Question about the quests. I'm in chapter 4 and have unlocked (and beaten) 3 quests. Did I miss unlocking quests in the earlier chapters, and if so, have I missed them forever?

Blocking's great. Don't forget the 'quick-block', that is, blocking the instant and attack is about to connect. The special effect is different, and I believe it boosts your "shield exp" more than regular blocking (or lessens the amount your shield gauge decreases... or both!)

Shield exp, btw, is a hidden value. As it grows, so will your shield gauge. Initial shield starts off with a value of 25, but I've gotten it up to 26 now. Good way to boost your blocking ability since apparently, the shield upgrades will be few and far between.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Game roooooocks so far.

Question about the quests. I'm in chapter 4 and have unlocked (and beaten) 3 quests. Did I miss unlocking quests in the earlier chapters, and if so, have I missed them forever?

Blocking's great. Don't forget the 'quick-block', that is, blocking the instant and attack is about to connect. The special effect is different, and I believe it boosts your "shield exp" more than regular blocking (or lessens the amount your shield gauge decreases... or both!)

Shield exp, btw, is a hidden value. As it grows, so will your shield gauge. Initial shield starts off with a value of 25, but I've gotten it up to 26 now. Good way to boost your blocking ability since apparently, the shield upgrades will be few and far between.

I think you could have unlocked two quests in chapter 3, but I could be wrong about that. The earliest quest I remember is to
Transport the Herbs! at Hunting Mansion: Forecourt.
If you have got that one you should be ok I *believe*.

From what I have read in-game there are at least two shields you can get, but I have not found them yet. The subleties of this game are kinda insane. Chocolate milk... fruit yogurt.... You can also make ___ meat or some such if meat is left in a humid environment, making it never rot and go bad.

colinp

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Wait a minute... so quests are chapter sensitive? I wish they would have told you that.

Dang it!

I'm not sure whether they are or not. If Meji says he got that quest then I think they are not. Come on Meji, where did you go?! :)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I sure hope they aren't >_<.

I just beat the
boss on the train: The baron.
The shooter section seemed to have picked up a little in difficulty. I need to get some better equips though. I'm still using most of the default stuff.

Mejilan

I believe that there are enough slots for 4 shields, that is, 3 more beyond that which you start with.

I do not that an herb delivery quest. I have:
1) Margrave's Mansion Interior Trial Run (get from the jail to the exit in less than 4 minutes, facing all new baddies and obstacles. Very easy).

2) Monster Hunting in Old Cuilocan (or whatever), 13th Street. The entire map contains no chests (and precious little loot), and about 100 monsters you have to kill. Fairly easy.

3) Battle Trial in the Old Cuilocan (or whatever) Sewers. 28 baddies in one of those small "Trapped!" rooms. Most of the baddies come in waves. Pretty fun.

*sigh*

I think I'll be starting over then. Shame, I'm like 7 or 8 hours in. Looks like the quests are chapter sensitive. Though once you've unlocked a quest, you can do it over and over. Not sure if you can keep on collecting the reward though. Probably not. :(

keanerie

This game just keeps getting deeper and deeper and better and better.

I've been reading this thread on and off and have played a few sessions, am about to finish chapter 3. The depth of the game is really surprising, mostly because the game doesn't really let on how complicated it is until you see for yourself. I love the action - like ethel has pointed out, it's really refreshing to have blocking mean something and actually be fun. In terms of complaints, I'm still warming up to the character designs (Aaron more than Lucian, I suppose) and some of the music isn't that great, but these are minor complaints that are diminishing the more I play. Really happy I picked this up. Guess I'll have to dig around some more for any quests before I move on from chapter 3, it looks like.

Fantasmo

Mejilan said:
Looks like the quests are chapter sensitive.

Was all excited about picking this one up until I read this. I hate replaying games and playing with a strategy guide to know where all the quests are defeats the purpose of playing. Meh.

colinp

Banned
junkster said:
Was all excited about picking this one up until I read this. I hate replaying games.

No no no, they're only chapter sensitive in the time that you pick up the quest. Once you have gotten the quest, you can go on that quest during whatever chapter you want.

Hell, you can pick up a quest and then choose not to go on the quest until right before the end! You'd be cheating yourself if you chose not to pick up the game.

ethelred

junkster said:
Was all excited about picking this one up until I read this. I hate replaying games and playing with a strategy guide to know where all the quests are defeats the purpose of playing. Meh.

So... don't play with a strategy guide, then?

keanerie

junkster said:

You are needlessly denying yourself good times.

john tv

Couple of things:

1. Weather statues light up when the weather in the area is ideal for making something interesting happen.

2. Mej -- I don't think you need to start over, but even if you did, at this point you're better off finishing the game and then going through a second round at a harder difficulty level.&#12288;You keep your levels and equipment, and some new stuff opens up. It's worth it. That said, I am pretty sure you can't "miss out" on any quests, but I'm not 100% positive about that. There are
quests in all; they become "unlockable" at the following points:
one
after you clear
the Hunting Mansion
four
after you clear
13th Street
three
after you clear
the Sewers
four
after you clear
the Armed Train
, and
two
after you clear
New Culiacan
. However! Just because a quest is unlockable doesn't mean you can get to it yet. They basically come in tiers of
two quests apiece
, and the only way to access
the second quest
is to
clear the first quest
first. Get it?

As far as accessing them goes...talk to everyone. Often.

Mejilan

Thank you john tv. I picked up on talking to everyone 2 or 3 times (that's how I got my current 3 quests), but I didn't think of doing this in Chapters 1-3, so I fear I've missed out on some of the earlier chapters. I suppose I'll stick with it though. :)

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate missing out on shit. :(

colinp

Banned
Second round at a harder difficulty!? Plus new stuff that opens up with it?! Wooohooooooooooooo!

Thanks for the info john!

Fantasmo

After reading some of the comments, I had to bite.

WOW..... 1.5 hours in... this game is awesome!!

Gameplay is Secret of Mana-esque but , characters are absolutely awesome, music is phenomenal, there's a lot of well placed voice acting, AND it has incredible cutscenes (how do they even fit?)!

Not so big on the energy bar, but I love the way the shield works and the trance techniques.

Okay I seem to have possibly reached the end of the 1st mission,
I beat the Vampire boss and Nero's giving me the option of Ready or Hold On.
I've only completed the Herb sidequest thus far and I couldn't find the other quest. Is this the end of the mission, and if so where is the quest that I missed? I don't often play RPGs more than once so I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks!

john tv

junkster said:
After reading some of the comments, I had to bite.

WOW..... 1.5 hours in... this game is awesome!!

Gameplay is Secret of Mana-esque but , characters are absolutely awesome, music is phenomenal, there's a lot of well placed voice acting, AND it has incredible cutscenes (how do they even fit?)!

Not so big on the energy bar, but I love the way the shield works and the trance techniques.

Okay I seem to have possibly reached the end of the 1st mission,
I beat the Vampire boss and Nero's giving me the option of Ready or Hold On.
I've only completed the Herb sidequest thus far and I couldn't find the other quest. Is this the end of the mission, and if so where is the quest that I missed? I don't often play RPGs more than once so I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks!
That's the only quest you could've done at this point, so no worries. He just gives you that option in case you want to go back and prepare (upgrade weapons, grind a bit, buy items, etc.).

duckroll

I finally found a place which still had stock for Megaman ZX today, so I decided to pick up Lunar Knights along with it. ZX is amazing as expected, but I wasn't expecting much from Lunar Knights from what I'd heard about it being more combat focused than Boktai 2, with less puzzles.

I've put in about 40mins into the game so far. I beat the Antlion, and upgraded my sword for the first time. I gotta say the production values are really good and the combat is -really- improved from Boktai. The game is pretty fun and the music is nice. The translation is top notch too (props to John!) and the opening animation is great. My only complains so far would be the interface and the compression. The interface for the menus really suck, they're the cheapest menus I've seen of late and seems like they were hacked together at the last moment. The compression on the opening is also pretty horrible, this is something I've noticed for pretty much every DS game so far EXCEPT for Square Enix titles. What the hell is with that? Why can S-E encode movies with no artifacting but yet no one else can? Castlevania PoR, Metroid Prime Hunters, Megaman ZX, Lunar Knights, they all have pretty nice videos but it's kinda wasted with the crappy compression that really reminds me of Saturn days. :/

duckroll

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 now, about 90mins in. It's nice to see how much more well thought out and sequenced the story is in Lunar Knights. I was pretty surprised that the game has real anime FMV sequences, and other than the shitty compression it's a nice surprise.

The game's shaping up well, but in the first shooting sequence after the first vampire boss I've noticed that the aiming with the touch screen isn't 100% accurate. Often I would tap on an enemy only for the game to just shoot straight forward. Anyone else encountered this? It was pretty damn annoying and happened more than once. Aaron's gun works pretty well with lock-on, but the playstyle is pretty different because unlike Lucian you can't let enemies get too close to you or you might be in a tight spot.

john tv

I had occasional problems with the touchscreen as well, but I get that in most DS games I play, so I'm not sure if that's as much an LK thing as a general touchscreen thing.

Regarding Aaron, it took me a while to get used to his play style (much longer than it did for Lucian), but once you do, he's really fun to use.

Thx for the props, BTW. Hope you enjoy the game.

Is it me, or does the diffuculty take a large spike at Ch3 (I think, it's after you beat the two ball bosses)? There are these rolly things that take out tons of damage and take alot to hurt (and i've spent tons of points into hit). I've enhanced my weapons, bought accesories, did some leveling...am I missing something? I didn't buy all the weather specific armour cause that seems to be a hassle to change.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
RE: difficulty; Block. Learn it, use it.

You can get serious advantages against certain enemies by timing your blocks at the precise moment which often stuns them for a few seconds making them easy kills. I often just mash the block button as more difficult enemies attack, you'll most likely nail the perfect parry doing this. Some enemies will sit there open to slam with a few stars swirling above their heads.

The only thing I'm not quite getting is the weather change system. I've not used it yet(even though I've unlocked all options for it now), though I see some areas of levels that have access to new rooms and such by doing it. The whole process just seems very unintuitive though since you have to do it outside of a dungeon going through NPC menu-chat hell.

The statues seem to signify locations where it makes sense to use it, but remembering those locations and what season to alter is too much brainwork.

Oh and the required stealth section(s) suck. Suck hard.

Love everything else though.

Am I the only one who feels like a moron playing this game? I was having a good time with it up until chapter 3 where now I just feel intimidated.

I don't follow this weather shit at all, not to meantion the whole terennial thing. Why does the gunslinger fellow seem so gimped? He runs out of energy pretty quickly and I don't know how to get it back without using an item.

Also, what is the deal with upgrading weapons? I've gotten the necessary materials for upgrading the sword twice and when I go to the dude to upgrade, I see no difference in how it performs.

Am I the only one who feels like a moron playing this game? I was having a good time with it up until chapter 3 where now I just feel intimidated.

I don't follow this weather shit at all, not to meantion the whole terennial thing. Why does the gunslinger fellow seem so gimped? He runs out of energy pretty quickly and I don't know how to get it back without using an item.

Also, what is the deal with upgrading weapons? I've gotten the necessary materials for upgrading the sword twice and when I go to the dude to upgrade, I see no difference in how it performs.

TiVo

I LOVE the anime cutscenes.
I think more DS game should have anime cutscenes. I think they draw you in and move the story along much better than CG cutscenes.

Also I think the DS is a developers dream as far as those that were forced into the 3D gen and had tons of ideas still left for the 2d era but were forced to do 3d updates for everything.

Nintendo will probably never see a console MGS4. But at least do a prequel/sequel of the original SNES games for the DS. You can have all the features the PS2/PS3 versions without the graphics. For the DS you gotta think BIG(ideas/innovation) in order to think small(size wise).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DXMachina said:

The weather stuff is unintuitively implemented. Certain areas need weather adjustments to access, but it seems completely optional, only dedicated completists probably need bother.

As for upgrading, you'll notice the base attack power of your weapons upgrade with crafting, you can read the little scrolling text at the bottom for any other improvements which supposedly include more attack strings and charge abilities, but I've done lots of upgrading and haven't noticed anything beyond base attacks improved.

RE: Aaron, he's SOL without energy, you can charge up in the sunlight though. He can be pretty fun to use though, but just switch him in during daytime.

As for terrenials, many enemies have a weakness, one element does huge damage, one does garbage, the rest average. Just scroll around the different elements until you find the sweet spot. Trial-and-error unless you read and memorize the beastiary in town.

john tv

Brandon F said:
The weather stuff is unintuitively implemented. Certain areas need weather adjustments to access, but it seems completely optional, only dedicated completists probably need bother.

As for upgrading, you'll notice the base attack power of your weapons upgrade with crafting, you can read the little scrolling text at the bottom for any other improvements which supposedly include more attack strings and charge abilities, but I've done lots of upgrading and haven't noticed anything beyond base attacks improved.

RE: Aaron, he's SOL without energy, you can charge up in the sunlight though. He can be pretty fun to use though, but just switch him in during daytime.

As for terrenials, many enemies have a weakness, one element does huge damage, one does garbage, the rest average. Just scroll around the different elements until you find the sweet spot. Trial-and-error unless you read and memorize the beastiary in town.
The color of the enemy is usually a pretty good indicator of their alignment, too. As for weapon upgrades, every weapon has I believe
levels. The extra abilities or attack strings come into play when your weapon reaches level
, i.e. rank 2, and level
, i.e. rank 3.

TiVo

DXMachina said:

Try making it snow against creatures that are fire based. They die without you having to fight them. Havent played around with the other elements to see how they affect enemeis but I am sure it is the same damaging effect.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
TiVo said:
Try making it snow against creatures that are fire based. They die without you having to fight them. Havent played around with the other elements to see how they affect enemeis but I am sure it is the same damaging effect.

Yea, that was really cool. The downside was losing life though...

Mejilan

Those griping about the weather system, you don't need to LEAVE the dungeon and return to the mansion to change the weather.

Equip the terrennial that pertains to the weather condition you want, and engage that terrennial's trance. Once the trance is over, the weather condition should have changed to that of the equipped terrennial. You'll know if you have the right condition for that screen if the nearby weather statue lights up.

OK, so I haven't actually tested this myself, but I was told that this would work.

Should cut down quite a bit on the 'unintuitiveness' of the weather system, and since building Trance doesn't take THAT long, it should also provide a fairly good excuse for to grind a bit of exp, Sol, and junk parts without becoming too obnoxious.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Those griping about the weather system, you don't need to LEAVE the dungeon and return to the mansion to change the weather.

Equip the terrennial that pertains to the weather condition you want, and engage that terrennial's trance. Once the trance is over, the weather condition should have changed to that of the equipped terrennial. You'll know if you have the right condition for that screen if the nearby weather statue lights up.

OK, so I haven't actually tested this myself, but I was told that this would work.

Holy shit! That's great, I've gotta check that out.

Thanks Meji, I'll see how quickly I can test the theory....

edit: I'm not sure what you're coworker was smoking, but this definitely did not work for me. Maybe it works for certain weather conditions transitioning to certain other conditions....?

RaidenZR

How are you guys getting quests to even show up? I'm on Chapter 4 now and I've talked to all the people about 2-3 times each... with nothing appearing. I've done this with each Chapter break and nada. What gives?

ethelred

RaidenZR said:
How are you guys getting quests to even show up? I'm on Chapter 4 now and I've talked to all the people about 2-3 times each... with nothing appearing. I've done this with each Chapter break and nada. What gives?

I'm not sure. Try talking to the
item shop owner in Acuna. Keep talking to him, and that should unlock the forecourt flower hunt quest.

Sometimes you have to talk to them a few times. If you pay attention to what they say, a lot of times they'll keep giving hints in dialogue that prompt you to keep pressing them -- like
the hot-headed guildsman in the new Guild HQ. He'll tell you how he's been assigned a misison; then he'll say how he is concerned about the monsters, and wishes he could fight them, but there's nothing he can do
. This is how another quest gets unlocked.

duckroll

RaidenZR said:

You just gotta find the right people. I did a quest on chapter 3 which I got from talking to the storekeeper in the first town. Once you get a quest, when you go to the location where the quests takes place you'll get an option to start the quest instead of just entering the location.

keanerie

RaidenZR said:

Yeah I haven't found much either.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
colinp said:
This game needs more GAF love =/
Heck, very few people on Konami's own RPG Stars boards are playing the game even though this is the first major release to come out on that promo site.

john tv

jj984jj said:
Heck, very few people on Konami's own RPG Stars boards aren't playing the game even though this is the first major release to come out on that promo site.
Did you mean to say "very few people are playing"? Or are you saying there's a lot?

Just got my retail US copy today. Looking forward to checking it out!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
john tv said:
Did you mean to say "very few people are playing"? Or are you saying there's a lot?

Just got my retail US copy today. Looking forward to checking it out!
Ooops. Very few people on there are playing it.

Top Bottom