• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] DC Comics Rebirth: Mr. Oz's identity revealed in Action Comics #987

Joey Ravn

Banned
I don't know how many people care about mainstream comic books here. There was a thread for Marvel's Secret Empire, so why not one for one of Rebirth's biggest mysteries? Bear in mind, these images contain massive spoilers for Action Comics #987!

Build up.

The big reveal.

Source.

Text version (spoilers!):
Mr. Oz is Jor-El, Superman's Kryptonian father

So, what do you think about Oz's identity? Did you see it coming? Are you satisfied with the reveal or you wanted him to be someone else?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Doesn't this rob Superman of a lot of the emotional weight of the story?

I'm really hoping he's
an alternate version of Jor-El, from another timeline for example.

Or
Roz-Em
, going by this theory.

It was one of the main theories from the start of when Johns introduced him in his brief Superman run.

To be fair, it was fully spoiled by DC Comics a few weeks ago when they released these covers...

Spoilers:
Cover 1
Cover 2

Mindwipe

There have been heavy rumours for a while that he's... (spoilers for the above, and hypothetical speculation ones that are rumoured to be true)

Pre-Crisis Jor-El. Which is why he's been trying to restore so much of Superman's old continuity in essence. And those rumours were true about the Jor-El bit.

I was really hoping it was going to be the original super man that Joe Siegel and Joe Shuster invented in collage. That would of been a cool twist.

26-08-2011+12-50-37+PM.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was really hoping it was going to be the original super man that Joe Siegel and Joe Shuster invented in collage. That would of been a cool twist.

26-08-2011+12-50-37+PM.jpg

What a cool reveal this would've been.

Though, tbh, I think it's pretty cool they're going with the character they're going with.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm a dick for thinking it was gonna be Ozymandias aren't I?

He didn't really fit the bill, especially in the past few month. At first, yeah, sure: Mr. Oz's personality was vague enough that he could have been Ozymandias. But as time went on, he started showing a clear disdain for humankind, something that Adrian Veidt never showed. Just the opposite, actually.
Oz was very clearly not human

Edit: Just to be clear, it may have been another case of DC Hank Hall-ing Monarch in Armageddon 2001. Ozymandias may have been the first choice during The New 52, but was later changed to this character once Rebirth became a reality.

I'm a dick for thinking it was gonna be Ozymandias aren't I?

Not really. If you jumped on with Rebirth you're pretty much going to guess that right away. The real trick is that he was introduced like a year or so before they even thought of Rebirth(20 issues before it IIRC) so it couldn't really be Ozymandias unless they retconned his introduction to the reader.

MisterHero

I kind of wanted it to be Ozy because if him talking about things being bigger than what they were. That second cover pretty much confirms it though. Poor Lara. :(

Now I want to know about his obsession with Tim Drake lol

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not really. If you jumped on with Rebirth you're pretty much going to guess that right away. The real trick is that he was introduced like a year or so before they even thought of Rebirth(20 issues before it IIRC) so it couldn't really be Ozymandias unless they retconned his introduction to the reader.

The character must have started as a blank slate with vague-enough pointers to other different characters, so DC could decide which direction they were going with as the storyline progressed.

In that scan you posted Oz is clearly seen with his left eye intact, which we now know can't be true. His hair is also different. I swear I've seen him drawn facing the reader with both eyes intact, but I can't find the issue at the moment.

Hopefully it's not as direct and clear-cut as it seems. I'm honestly kinda bummed by the reveal.

Patryn

The character must have started as a blank slate with vague-enough pointers to other different characters, so DC could decide which direction they were going with as the storyline progressed.

In that scan you posted Oz is clearly seen with his left eye intact, which we now know can't be true. His hair is also different. I swear I've seen him drawn facing the reader with both eyes intact, but I can't find the issue at the moment.

Hopefully it's not as direct and clear-cut as it seems. I'm honestly kinda bummed by the reveal.

I read a great theory that Oz was originally supposed to be Jonathon Kent (hence the Mr. Oz name - "I'm not in Kansas anymore", etc.).

CryptiK

It wouldnt be this
Supermans father
though right?
Because this current Supes is from a different universe that no longer exists.

Nope ended up stopping. Is there a TL;DR of it somewhere?
The short of it is
N52!Superman and Superdad ended up combining as did the Loises. This changed the universe to accomodate the Superfamily having a past here now(so for example Jon was born on this Earth). Superman spends the next issue figuring out what his backstory is now where he checks if Krypton was still destroyed etc.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nope ended up stopping. Is there a TL;DR of it somewhere?

tl;dr

New 52 Superman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman were halves of the same being. After Reborn, they have been merged into one unique, complete Superman. Many aspects of the pre-New 52 continuity have been incorporated into the current universe, including the Death of Superman. Some aspects of The New 52 timeline have been erased, like Superman's identity being public knowledge or his relationship with Wonder Woman. Some new events have been established, like Jon being born in the Fortress of Solitude. These changes have affected the whole universe, especially some characters like Batman or Wonder Woman, who were intimately related to N52 Superman.

tl;dr the tl;dr
Pre-Flashpoint Superman is now the only Superman ever.

This thread just prompted me to read the issue before I got spoiled and... Yeah, okay.

I like Jurgens' Superman, including this current run but this issue was just alright. Not good, not bad, alright. As for the reveal, I'm glad it isn't really Ozymandias since that just didn't fit with his inner monologue. I'm sure this isn't really Jor-El or that he's from a parallel earth or another timeline as some have mentioned here but I don't mind. Okay start but not as gripping as The Button.

That's almost definitely
some alternate universe Jor-El.

There wouldn't happen to be a pre-52 Batman running around, would there? New 52 Batfamily timeline is all kinds of messy.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Even if you felt underwhelmed by AC#987 and Oz's identity, I strongly encourage you to pick up Dark Knights: Metal #2. It's fantastic.

Batman tries to weaponize Baby Darkseid.

The hawkmaning of Superman continues

This is an amazing way of putting it and I'm going to use it religiously. At least when all is said and done, the changes to Supes have been for the best.

I really hope this somehow results in the resurrection of Ma and Pa Kent. Killing them off was the biggest mistakes the New 52 made.

Slayven

This is an amazing way of putting it and I'm going to use it religiously. At least when all is said and done, the changes to Supes have been for the best.

I really hope this somehow results in the resurrection of Ma and Pa Kent. Killing them off was the biggest mistakes the New 52 made.
All i ask is that iyou say my name in your prayers, after battle beast but before prowler.

I think Supes should always have at least one parent alive. I always enjoyed the scenes where he goes back home and be like "May, Pa shit is getting real out there" and gets advice, can bench press a planet but deep down he will always be the Kent Boy.

Lois & Clark Ma and Pa Kent are the best parents in superhero fiction aside from Aunt May.

Um, didn't N52 Supes
die right before Rebirth
? How exactly did they merge?

Some Mxlptlkjcyc fuckery. That arc isn't worth reading. Superman was one of the best (if not THE best) Rebirth titles but it's been pretty lackluster ever since that story.

The short of it is
N52!Superman and Superdad ended up combining as did the Loises. This changed the universe to accomodate the Superfamily having a past here now(so for example Jon was born on this Earth). Superman spends the next issue figuring out what his backstory is now where he checks if Krypton was still destroyed etc.

tl;dr

New 52 Superman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman were halves of the same being. After Reborn, they have been merged into one unique, complete Superman. Many aspects of the pre-New 52 continuity have been incorporated into the current universe, including the Death of Superman. Some aspects of The New 52 timeline have been erased, like Superman's identity being public knowledge or his relationship with Wonder Woman. Some new events have been established, like Jon being born in the Fortress of Solitude. These changes have affected the whole universe, especially some characters like Batman or Wonder Woman, who were intimately related to N52 Superman.

tl;dr the tl;dr
Pre-Flashpoint Superman is now the only Superman ever.

And they wonder why they can't get supes right in film

There's a lot of ridiculous bullshit trappings with Supes right now but he's literally the best interpretation we've had in a decade or so right now.
Yep. If I had to rank the current Superfamily books it would be Super Sons>New Super-Man>Superman>Supergirl>Action Comics>Superwoman.

When Superman is good it's damn good.

Yep. If I had to rank the current Superfamily books it would be Super Sons>New Super-Man>Superman>Supergirl>Action Comics>Superwoman.

When Superman is good it's damn good.

I'd go Super Sons > New Super-Man > Action > Superman

I have dropped both Supergirl and Superwoman. They were fine, just not enough hours in the day so I had to make some cuts. Superman was great up until a few months ago but it has really fallen off a cliff for me, I hope Tomasi and Gleason get back on track with the next arc.

The spoilers bits in this thread is why I hate most superhero comics and why the sales are in decline

???
Except sales aren't in decline and Superman comics are selling better than they have in years?
I mean, I'm no fan of continuity wankery either but your statement is just untrue.

Top Bottom