• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi unsure whether to drop Ubisoft stock or attempt a takeover, says exec

Alastor3

After the shareholders meeting, Vivendi chief operating officer Stephane Roussel reportedly told Bloomberg that the French conglomerate (which owns a roughly 26 percent stake in Ubisoft) hasn't yet decided whether it will attempt a Ubisoft takeover or simply sell off its stock in the company.

However, things may come to a head later this year, as Bloomberg reports that Vivendi will see its stake in Ubisoft increase automatically this November due to a provision for double voting rights (which, in an effort to encourage shareholder loyalty, typically allows shareholders to exercise double voting rights for shares they have registered and held for a certain amount of time.)

That increase will reportedly bring Vivendi very close to owning 30 percent of Ubisoft. French accounting law requires Vivendi to make a takeover bid once it owns more than a 30 percent stake, which is exactly how it wound up (successfully) initiating a mandatory takeover of French game company Gameloft last year.
Source

Stay strong Ubi.

Peroroncino

loss_for_words.gif

schaft0620

I worked through a scenario like this before in my personal life. Vivendi is buying shares to take over Ubi, if they can't take over Ubi there's no point in owning shares.

Ahasverus

You better not fail us Yves. Keep fighting.

French law is stupid too, can't they move the company to Canada? Their best studios are there anyway.

kennyamr

...hasn't yet decided whether it will be able to complete the Ubisoft takeover or simply give up after receiving the ransom payment from the Guillemot family and sell off its stock in the company.

fixed.

I worked through a scenario like this before in my personal life. Vivendi is buying shares to take over Ubi, if they can't take over Ubi there's no point in owning shares.

What would keep them from taking over though? It would seem they could take over by the end of the year, based on the info presented in the article.

Marcel

Vivendi has made its hostile intentions known this far. I would be legitimately surprised if they didn't at least attempt the takeover.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Vincent Bollore eventually gets what he wants to be honest... outlook no so good for Ubisoft's independence.

Fisico

That's.... not how it works.

The stock price may fall if the hostile takeover happens. It could cost them a lot of money.

Stock price doesn't matter much, brand value does.
Brand values could be affected by bad rep/press and/or key creative people leaving Ubisoft in case of takeover.

Considering stock price is the highest it's ever been for Ubisoft, they could still gain some money from the overall operation if they were to resell their stock.
What the Vivendi guy seems to be doing is gauging market reaction to see how the stock price changes, nothing wrong for them to still be undecided as in case of takeover it would clearly be an hostile one and the Guillemot are managing Ubisoft pretty decently and have the backup of other shareholders currently.

KaoticBlaze

Ubisoft should open like 200 new, smaller offices all around the world and make Vivendi collect them all before they can attempt a takeover

airborn

November 20th is the date to keep an eye on.

Whatever the outcome will be, it will be a win-win situation for Vivendi as the stock price has gone up significantly (75% YOY) since they came into play. It's also worth noting that Bolloré Group (company of the current Vivendi chairman) owns a minority stake in BigBen Interactive, so that might become a potential target if the Ubisoft takeover doesn't go through. Vivendi still wants a game division.

so what's Gameloft been up to since the takeover?
It seems to be managed pretty well so far.

Stygr

Banned
That increase will reportedly bring Vivendi very close to owning 30 percent of Ubisoft. French accounting law requires Vivendi to make a takeover bid once it owns more than a 30 percent stake, which is exactly how it wound up (successfully) initiating a mandatory takeover of French game company Gameloft last year.

So basically if they reach that 30% they can make an offer and buy Ubisoft?
How many € they will need to control the whole company? 4 billion? 5? 6?

If Vivendi wants a game division so badly, why did they let fucking Activision-Blizzard slip from their fingers?

Bolloré seems like the sort who is rich in euros but poor in sense.

Kamisori

Neo Member
If Vivendi wants a game division so badly, why did they let fucking Activision-Blizzard slip from their fingers?
It wasn't Bolloré at the helm of Vivendi back then. Since he's in charge he wants to go back in the sector and create a mega media conglomerate.

It wasn't Bolloré at the helm of Vivendi back then. Since he's in charge he wants to go back in the sector and create a mega media conglomerate.

Ah, that makes sense. He must want to strangle the people who were in charge before him for squandering what they had.

Bolloré seems like the sort who is rich in euros but poor in sense.

I believe at the time they needed money for another merger/takeover, but that never ended up going through. Plus, it wasn't Bollore in charge at the time, and he wants to build a French media conglomerate empire.

Briarios

As I understand it, Vivendi has spent a lot of their war chest recently, and Ubisoft has made a lot of positive moves driving up their stock prices. A successful launch of AC Origins and good sales of Just Dance during the holidays could drive it up further making the forced acquisition attempt for Vivendi to be too expensive for the company. So, they'd be forced to sell some stock to prevent the automatic attempt -- but the stock price is high, so that is attractive to them, too.

So, they're waiting to see closer to the date how expensive the takeover would be versus the amount of profit from selling their shares. It makes sense.

Being honest, I think its just a matter of time until Vivendi buys Ubisoft completely.
Making a couple billion Euros by selling off their shares, even at a high price, probably isn't fitting Vivendi's long term strategic plan to be that mega media corp.

I can see this going through this year.

If Ubi needs some extra cash. Sell Ubisoft Paris or Milan to Nintendo.

Ubi don't need the extra cash, just complete independence.

GRIMREEFZ

Being a publically traded company, unfortunately this is a real danger. Makes you wonder if a private company like Rockstar has all the right answers....

Ahasverus

Being a publically traded company, unfortunately this is a real danger. Makes you wonder if a private company like Rockstar has all the right answers....
They still get fucked by corporate decisions so I don't think so.

CDPR is at the sweet spot. They're publicly traded, privately owned, and are legally armed against takeovers.

Kill3r7

They still get fucked by corporate decisions so I don't think so.

CDPR is at the sweet spot. They're publicly traded, privately owned, and are legally armed against takeovers.

FWIW, a couple of bad quarters and all of that goes right out the window. CDPR is in the best shape it has ever been but their growth will eventually slow down and that is where the rubber meets the road.

Why would they drop Ubi?

Vivendi isn't actually interested in making games, they just see it as another potential business venture. If they see a better opportunity come up, they'd likely take it.

Remember, this is the company that bailed on Activision/Blizzard.

Why would they drop Ubi?

More trouble than they are worth most likely. Ubi has been giving them a fight and making it hard to takeover. Basically it became a battle of attrition where UBI holds an advantage. Vivi might think their dollars and efforts would be better spent taking over another company instead of sinking all their time in this struggle.

Option-

If I were ubi i would just grant countless aaa 100 mio aaa games like beyond good and evil with contracts that secure its funding regardless of their skyrocketing costs.

Kill3r7

If I were ubi i would just grant countless aaa 100 mio aaa games like beyond good and evil with contracts that secure its funding regardless of their skyrocketing costs.

And if they bail? Ubi goes bankrupt. Shareholders file class action suits and no one wins.

What would keep them from taking over though? It would seem they could take over by the end of the year, based on the info presented in the article.

The only thing I can think of is them being obliged to make a bid for the whole company before securing the capital to do so, that's something Vivendi own shareholders possibly wouldn't like very much.

Briarios

This isn't really new -- this is back from Sept 3:

However Ubisoft won't come cheap--Reuters estimates that Vivendi may have to pay $6 billion to wrestle control of the company away from the Guillemot family. Vivendi's net cash plummetted to $540.355 million as of March 2017, down 1253% since 2015 where it had $7.31 billion net cash. Due to the costs, Vivendi could pass on Ubisoft altogether. Gameloft CEO and ex Vivendi COO Stéphane Roussel told French press site Le Figaro that the company is weighing other acquisition targets, and although Ubisoft is the "most natural solution," it's "not Ubisoft or nothing." If Vivendi pursues another acquisition that costs more than 1 billion euros, Roussel says the company will cease any takeover of Ubisoft.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/5900...y-2-million-shares-counter-vivendi/index.html

Top Bottom