• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt exec pokes fun at Ubisoft's "AAAA" game Skull and Bones, says the studio will now make "AAAAA" games

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
cqX3jRYDA3gJU6HMY4axrh-1200-80.jpg.webp

AAA is usually a label given to blockbuster games by big-money companies to signify that, yes, these games were expensive to make. The label is normally meaningless. At best, it gives us a sense of a game's budget. At worst, it's marketing jargon used to convince potential customers that high production values make a game good.

Ubisoft attempted to pull a similar stunt when releasing its multiplayer pirate ship romp Skull and Bones earlier this year. CEO Yves Guillemot previously called the endlessly delayed game a "AAAA" release to justify its $70 price tag - an argument that beta players strongly disagreed with.

The topic of ever-increasing As also came up in a recent financial Q&A chat with CD Projekt Red's investor relations VP Karolina Gnaś. One question jokingly asked whether the Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 studio would reassess its AAA-only stance amid Ubisoft's comments. "Ours will be AAAAA," Gnaś responded.

Video game budgets have become unsustainable, and thus, the AAA Arms Race has officially begun. Skull and Bones marked the first AAAA game in history. CD Projekt Red dares to unleash the world's first AAAAA game with The Witcher 4 and a Cyberpunk sequel. Who will pick up the mantle, write the check, and dare to develop an AAAAAA game first?

Scared Minnie Driver GIF by ABC Network

If I were an executive at CDPR, I would honestly stay quiet about poking fun at the expense of other publishers, considering they knowingly shipped a broken product just a few years ago. It's embarrassing and hypocritical. And yes, I did greatly enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, but that's beside the point.
The amount of A's is directly equivalent to the amount of bugs the game will be released with

Saber

Gold Member
If lack of proper chat is a sign for AAAA games, I wonder whats gonna be missing next.

damidu

If I were an executive at CDPR, I would honestly stay quiet about poking fun at the expense of other publishers, considering they knowingly shipped a broken product just a few years ago. It's embarrassing and hypocritical. And yes, I did greatly enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, but that's beside the point.
pretty much this, these idiots again got too cocky too soon. we saw how that ended up last time lol

Last edited:
Im thinking 2027 for Witcher Remake, 2028 at next-gen console launch for Witcher 4. Extremely excited to say the least. My god 3 is such a great game.

Last edited:

geary

That's a fucking clickbait article. Do you really thing a CFO in a meeting with their investors would say something like this, with targeting Ubisoft? The question in essence was ridiculous and the answer was adequate.

EDMIX

I'm saying.

The company saying this shit, also took 3 years of a early access to have cops drive cars folks.....

I don't know if this dumbass company has room to be even commenting on anything regarding Ubisoft. Skull and Bones is a flop sure, but I don't know if CDPR has any place to even be talking about this type of thing when they are spending years post release to trickle out basic fucking functions of a game folks paid full price for. We use to joke about shit like that with EA, like oh you buy the game and they spend years trying to complete it and sell you the rest of the game...

yet CDPR is the one actually doing this.

Charged full price in 2020, struggled for years to get out basic features, has yet to even fully put out all the promised functions, proceeds to charge an additional $30 for the end of the game they released unfinished...

Sooooooooo i'm not too sure CDPR really has a place to be commenting on any of this. At least we know when something like Watchdogs 4 or AC Red or what ever releases it will actually be a complete functional thing, regardless of anyone's feelings on it. Watchdogs 3 didn't need 3 fucking years to have cop ai folks, lets stop this crap of pretending anything that happened with CP2077 was some normal thing or something in the industry lol

This company seems to feed off of acting as if they are not like other publishers, in reality, they might be fucking worse.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

This sounds like a very offhanded joke that people in here are interpreting as some kind of legitimate, planned marketing statement.

angrod14

VHS-ProjectRed has yet to launch a product without incurring in false ad.

Witcher 3 was downgraded to shit and Cyberpunk’ed 69 was completely broken. Then they want to come off as pro consumer.

Kacho

Well yeah, I played the games and you evidently haven’t.
I have played both and the Witcher 3 is trash. It’s an Ubisoft clone as far as open world interactivity in the most condescending way possible. It’s a garbage game with garbage combat propped up for reasons I still can’t comprehend. Maybe it’s the music, maybes it’s the overly verbose dialogue. I’ve sunk over 100 hours into the game trying to find what makes it amazing and was unsuccessful. Cyberpunk in spite of its flaws I can sort of get. Still an average as fuck game. But Witcher 3, I fart more interesting concepts.

hyperbertha

You serious? Nah the game was fine. Far better than anything ubi shipped in the last 10 years.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I have played both and the Witcher 3 is trash. It’s an Ubisoft clone as far as open world interactivity in the most condescending way possible. It’s a garbage game with garbage combat propped up for reasons I still can’t comprehend. Maybe it’s the music, maybes it’s the overly verbose dialogue. I’ve sunk over 100 hours into the game trying to find what makes it amazing and was unsuccessful. Cyberpunk in spite of its flaws I can sort of get. Still an average as fuck game. But Witcher 3, I fart more interesting concepts.
n9fxhfvx1a6b1.jpg

Gaiff

You’re just upset because I challenged you. You have no strong argument hence why you fall back on meme posts to speak for you.
>Challenged me

Nah, you just said blatantly incorrect things. It’s fine not to like The Witcher 3. Calling it a Ubisoft clone is moronic, however.

You get a meme post because the points you made aren’t worth addressing.

Kacho

Nah, you just said blatantly incorrect things
Saying things you don’t personally don’t agree with aren’t incorrect. Again, you have yet to put forth a coherent argument.

Calling it a Ubisoft clone is moronic, however.
I said the open world is an Ubisoft clone, which it is. The random nests copy and pasted across the map that you have to drop grape bombs on for example. It’s an incredibly generic and boring design decision.

StereoVsn

You’re just upset because I challenged you. You have no strong argument hence why you fall back on meme posts to speak for you.
This is not enough. You should challenge the other party to a duel at the break of dawn, with pistols, 30 paces apart. Don't forget to wear a ruffled white shirt!

fashion-blogs-slaves-to-fashion-2012-02-08-0210seinfeld-puffy-shirt_fa.jpg

Last edited:

Kacho

This is not enough. You should challenge the other party to a duel, with pistols, 30 paces apart. Don't forget to wear a ruffled white shirt!

fashion-blogs-slaves-to-fashion-2012-02-08-0210seinfeld-puffy-shirt_fa.jpg
Or you guys could explain in detail why the game is amazing. I’d be happy to indulge.

Starfield is shit = ok, that’s fine

Witcher 3 is shit =
Number+6.gif

Gaiff

Saying things you don’t personally don’t agree with aren’t incorrect. Again, you have yet to put forth a coherent argument.
You're the one who started with the claim and didn't say anything to back it up. It's a Ubisoft clone...again, you haven't even defined what makes Ubisoft open-world games what they are.
I said the open world is an Ubisoft clone, which it is. The random nests copy and pasted across the map that you have to drop grape bombs on for example. It’s an incredibly generic and boring design decision.
Lmao, it's a Ubisoft clone because it has a few ghouls nests on the map? Something that isn't featured in any Ubisoft game. And you have the gall to say I haven't put forth an argument when that's your reasoning? This is comical.

Make it make sense at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom