• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt exec pokes fun at Ubisoft's "AAAA" game Skull and Bones, says the studio will now make "AAAAA" games

kiphalfton

Imagine doing your job, and acting halfway professional...

A novel concept for video game devs, I know.

Last edited:

Hudo

You serious? Nah the game was fine. Far better than anything ubi shipped in the last 10 years.
There is a lot one can shit on when it comes to Ubisoft games but their games usually work fairly well at launch. Cyberpunk 2077 was a fucking disaster on a technical level and also in terms of broken promises when it came to gameplay (they made the stupid decision to advertise Cyberpunk 2077 as some sort of GTA-like, which it never was, and people got rightfully upset when it lacked features and when the gameplay loop was different...). And then it took a year and essentially a soft relaunch with Phantom Liberty to get the game where it should've been at launch.

So I would be really fucking quite right about now if I were CDPR. Cyberpunk 2077 sure as hell was also a "AAAA" game.

Kacho

You're the one who started with the claim and didn't say anything to back it up. It's a Ubisoft clone...again, you haven't even defined what makes Ubisoft open-world games what they are.

Lmao, it's a Ubisoft clone because it has a few ghouls nests on the map? Something that isn't featured in any Ubisoft game. And you have the gall to say I haven't put forth an argument when that's your reasoning? This is comical.

Make it make sense at least.
It’s obvious to anyone that played it that the open world is an Ubisoft clone. The map is littered with actives that are copy and paste and generic like Ubisoft games have been since Far Cry 3.

You still can’t explain why the game is good. You’re just establishing how upset you are.

Kacho

My statement was regarded to be an Ubisoft clone....before Ubisoft make these type of games....
You mean like Far Cry 3 in 2012?

cm punk GIF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It’s obvious to anyone that played it that the open world is an Ubisoft clone. The map is littered with actives that are copy and paste and generic like Ubisoft games have been since Far Cry 3.
Wow, the map is littered with icons. This makes it a Ubisoft clone...not only did GTA do this shit way before Ubisoft, but that's been true of open-world games since the days before their first crack at it. Once again, incorrect.
You still can’t explain why the game is good. You’re just establishing how upset you are.
I don't care about explaining why the game is amazing or not. You have the right not to like it. Just don't spew incorrect information about it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I don’t question if you have played either franchise at this point, but whether you understand video games at all.

Kacho

Wow, the map is littered with icons. This makes it a Ubisoft clone...
Exactly. I’d argue that Ubisoft copy and paste activities are more engaging since their gameplay is more enjoyable.
I don't care about explaining why the game is amazing or not. You have the right not to like it. Just don't spew incorrect information about it.
i know you don’t because you don’t have an argument. You’re only deflecting. RIP

Gaiff

Exactly. I’d argue that Ubisoft copy and paste activities are more engaging since their gameplay is more enjoyable.

i know you don’t because you don’t have an argument. You’re only deflecting. RIP
No, I addressed it and you decided to ignore it. GTA did this before Ubisoft. Over a decade before in fact.

Gaiff

No you didn’t. You’ve only established that you’re upset.
And you’ve established that you’re a troll by ignoring it again. Thank you for conceding. Take the L and enjoy it.

Next time, learn to string two sentences together properly. Maybe we won’t laugh at you.

Last edited:

Kacho

And you’ve established that you’re a troll by ignoring it again. Thank you for conceding. Take the L and enjoy it.

Next time, learn to string two sentences together properly. Maybe we won’t laugh at it.
Not agreeing with you does not equal trolling. I understand that you’re upset that I changed you, but you have to establish why games are “good” when criticism is leveled. All you’re doing is shucking and jiving,

kikkis

I mean Withcer 3 has better story than ubi games, but both have mediocre combat and plenty of open world filler tasks.

Kacho

I mean Withcer 3 has better story than ubi games, but both have mediocre combat and plenty of open world filler tasks.
You have made the most coherent argument for Witcher 3 in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Not agreeing with you does not equal trolling. I understand that you’re upset that I changed you, but you have to establish why games are “good” when criticism is leveled. All you’re doing is shucking and jiving,
Never said The Witcher 3 is good lol. I said it isn’t a Ubisoft clone by correctly throwing your idiotic "argument" back at you by pointing out that your definition of Ubisoft clone was started by GTA way back in 2001.

Your definition of what makes a Ubisoft clone was written by a simpleton and there was no substance to it. "Icons on the map." Lol. Again, check VC or GTA III.

But by now I realize you ain’t exactly sharp so I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Kacho

Never said The Witcher 3 is good lol. I said it isn’t a Ubisoft clone by correctly throwing your idiotic "argument" back at you by pointing out that your definition of Ubisoft clone was started by GTA way back in 2001.

Your definition of what makes a Ubisoft clone was written by a simpleton and there was no substance to it. "Icons on the map." Lol. Again, check VC or GTA III.

So you’re wasting your time over nothing. You agree the game is bad but calling it an Ubisoft clone really irks you. That’s really weird.

You can’t be serious. Please quantify why exactly the Witcher 3 is amazing.
Its somewhere between shit and amazing.

Great for first 30 hrs when you are enjoying music and scenery is new to you.

A slog after that. Just like most modern Ubi games.

Kacho

Its somewhere between shit and amazing.
Kinda. Yeah. It has moments where you think it’s going to be great, and then you have your hundredth drawn out conversation followed by bad combat and uninteresting Ubisoft open world checkbox fluff. It’s even worse when you have to engage in the god awful boss mechanics.

Kinda. Yeah. It has moments where you think it’s going to be great, and then you have your hundredth drawn out conversation followed by bad combat and uninteresting Ubisoft open world checkbox fluff. It’s even worse when you have to engage in the god awful boss mechanics.
Dungeon crawling is shockingly bad for an RPG of this type. Simple levels, either a laborious fight or use of witcher senses to find something.

Also character development is weird as hell. You cannot max out both light attack and heavy attack, else you will miss out on tons of useful stuff. Which means one type of attack you will never use throughout the game.

Very amateurish.

Braag

People mad about the comment either didn't read the article or are the most sensitive of all snowflakes.
He was literally asked about Ubisoft's laughable AAAA comment and what that means for future CDPR games.
It's not like he just randomly started clowning on Ubisoft.

coolmast3r

Dear CD Project RED, wake the fuck up, you are not in 2015 anymore. After the total trainwreck that was Cyberpunk 2077, your best bet for remaining relevant as a developer is to just stay quiet and try to redeem yourself with an actually solid game next time.

Cyberpunkd

If I were an executive at CDPR, I would honestly stay quiet about poking fun at the expense of other publishers, considering they knowingly shipped a broken product just a few years ago. It's embarrassing and hypocritical. And yes, I did greatly enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, but that's beside the point.
It seems with social media people’s attention span is minimal, that goes for both employees and fans.

CSJ

Oh no, CD Project getting cocky didn't exactly end great the last time.

Or well, it ended GREAT but it didn't release great.

I still remember when at I think an E3 they interviewed the lead devs asking if it'll be ready for the planned release date (it was not) and the dev had this incredulous look of "the fuck they just say to me?"
Didn't have an issue with the game myself as I was lucky to have a decent spec and today it's fucking great but uh yeah, CDPR seems humility was not learned and you need to back your shit up before you talk.

Ah yes it was Miles Tost, timestamped 34:42

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You’re just upset because I challenged you. You have no strong argument hence why you fall back on meme posts to speak for you.
To be fair, you also didn't have very strong arguments. Your best was: looked, but couldn't find.

Hero_Select

If I were an executive at CDPR, I would honestly stay quiet about poking fun at the expense of other publishers, considering they knowingly shipped a broken product just a few years ago. It's embarrassing and hypocritical. And yes, I did greatly enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, but that's beside the point.
my first thought

Madflavor

Ok. I love CDPR. I liked CP77 at launch, and I love CP77 now. But these guys miiiight wanna perhaps wait til they release their next game, and in a playable state, before they start talking shit.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Hence my previous post. Doesn’t seem like the dude had much in the way of knowledge of the industry, history of other games, or self introspection.

Best to just place him on ignore and discuss with people who don’t act like CDPR pissed in their cereal.

Ian Henry

Controversial opinion but I like when video game devs beef. Shows competition and that they give a fuck

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Controversial opinion but I like when video game devs beef. Shows competition and that they give a fuck
It isn't really a "beef" as much as an offhanded comment on how dumb the idea of "AAAA" is and the quality it can supposedly provide. Skull and Bones was a failure in every sense of the word. CDPR making an offhanded joke about how they will try to make "AAAAA" games is just that: a joke. Not a serious suggestion or something they are actively going to do.

Top Bottom