• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins' lootboxes are only buyable w/ ingame currency (but has MTs)

benzopil

But these chests are only purchasable with in-game currency, and there for those people who like to play the game naturally and pad our their wallets.

"He's a very unique shop [vendor] in the world who sells Carbon Crystals, which are the rarest item needed for crafting," Assassin's Creed Origins game director Ashraf Ismail told me. "You can find this stuff in the world, but the idea is if you have the money you can just buy stuff for him.

"Heda also sells a mystery box which can contain any weapon, piece of gear or item in the game. It's a way for people who hoard lots of money, if you min-max the economy system, to gamble the money and get really unique stuff.

"The reason we did that was because we saw, even two years ago, people playing the game in different ways," Ismail continued. "There are people who like to go into a military location, infiltrate them, steal the loot and equipment and hopefully find some unique or legendary gear.

"Then there was a smaller set of people who would focus almost entirely on the economy, buying and selling stuff to gain as much money as they can. And we felt like, okay, that's a valid way to play the game - it's a part of the RPG [aspect], so we'll let them play the economy. So, it's one way to be able to purchase or get some of the unique items in the game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...h-assassins-creed-origins-in-game-loot-chests

While we're on the subject, I took the oppurtunity to have a peek at Origins' in-game e-store while at the preview event. The shop's online servers were not yet online so I could not see all the content available, but a store menu image listed the game's season pass and linked to a menu with time-saver pack options.

One of these options showcased a cool-looking Mummy costume for main character Bayek. And again, alarm bells were set ringing. I asked Ismail about that, too.

"You can get that from playing in the game," he reassured me. "Everything that's in the e-store you can get from playing the game. It's just an accelerated way of playing the game."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if they'll patch in the ability to buy them later. Quite a few games do that.

It's a good way to avoid them popping up in reviews or pre-launch discussion.

Plum

Syndicate still let you buy in-game currency. I've yet to see any indication that such a system is out. If that has been removed then fine, if not then it's really just adding another step instead of outright letting you buy loot boxes.

Ahasverus

I wonder if they'll patch in the ability to buy them later. Quite a few games do that.

Good to know that I should not update the game.

Props to Ubisoft Montreal for making this game as the last of its kind, AAA, single player, no MT RPG.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Props to Ubisoft Montreal for making this game as the last of its kind, AAA, single player, no MT RPG.

Ubisoft has pretty low sales expectations for this one so I'm curious to see how they're changing the series for the future.

oti

Banned

This is a really odd game. It's quite obvious Assassin's Creed is not Ubisoft's key franchise anymore. And yet I find it really hard to believe it won't feature microtransactions. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

On previous AC games, in-game currency was purchasable with real money, so I guess this should be the same, right?

It will add an extra step, but with intent it will be the same...

Of course, not having the advertisement in-game to buy the loot box "for only .99 today only" will be good enought, for today's standards.

Menitta

That's good. They'll prolly patch it in but w/e doesn't bother me. The ingame currency you could buy in Syndicate was a bad purchase because it was so easy to get money in that game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really? That sounds interesting. Could you tell me more?

On their fiscal call they announced that they expect it to sell above Syndicate, but below Unity: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407774

I believe that would make it the second or third lowest selling game in the series (including stuff like Revelations/Brotherhood which both moved 7+ million, but excluding stuff like the platformers and handheld games) depending on how much Rogue sold.

It's also notably Ubisoft's only major game that isn't an online title outside of South Park, which is a very a special situation.

mdubs

Banned
On their fiscal call they announced that they expect it to sell above Syndicate, but below Unity: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407774

I believe that would make it the second or third lowest selling game in the series (including stuff like Revelations/Brotherhood which both moved 7+ million, but excluding stuff like the platformers and handheld games) depending on how much Rogue sold.

It's also notably Ubisoft's only major game that isn't an online title outside of South Park, which is a very a special situation.
Interesting. What are their key franchises now (I’m assuming Rainbow Six and the Division?)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This article does confirm that once again the game will have time-saver pack MTs like the past 4 games.

"Everything that's in the e-store you can get from playing the game. It's just an accelerated way of playing the game."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, sorry not sorry for not buying it Ubisoft. I wouldn't be surprised if a patch 'magically' allows the ability to purchase them with real life currency shortly after the reviews come out.

Lucifon

Until you can buy currency with real money or he miraculously arrives with new stock from the psn/xbl store.

I hope not

AmuroChan

I agree. That's most likely what's going to happen. Most gaming sites do not update their reviews post-launch.

mas8705

Even if it gets patched in the future to allow you to dump $$ into the game, this does make me happy to know that Origins won't be going down the same path (or at least right away at launch). Hopefully the game itself will be able to stand on its own merit to where the lootboxes will feel like they weren't needed in the first place.

Ahasverus

Ubisoft has pretty low sales expectations for this one so I'm curious to see how they're changing the series for the future.
Hopefully they'll be rewarded. If good enough this can easily do Witcher numbers.

Might even be the first AC with legs.

This surprises me a lot for a few reasons. 1. The first AC in a few years, 2. overhaul of the series and looks to improve on a lot of things and adds game play aspects that will surely win over some fans. 3. HUGE marketing push, E3 was all about Origins and I am seeing tons of commercials and ads for it. Maybe this is just a "all video game sales are down" situation.

Ahasverus

This surprises me a lot for a few reasons. 1. The first AC in a few years, 2. overhaul of the series and looks to improve on a lot of things and adds game play aspects that will surely win over some fans. 3. HUGE marketing push, E3 was all about Origins and I am seeing tons of commercials and ads for it. Maybe this is just a "all video game sales are down" situation.
They're lowballing it because

- One year might not be long enough to offset franchise fatigue.
- There's always the possibility the changes don't rest well with fans and actually make the game more niche.
- It's a single player game who, apparently, are dead or something.

Gator86

Expecting this. Also, why have lootboxes at all then? Myabe just design your game in a more interesting way than "idk here's a box of shit."

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, sorry not sorry for not buying it Ubisoft. I wouldn't be surprised if a patch 'magically' allows the ability to purchase them with in-game currency shortly after the reviews come out.
You wouldn't be surprised if a patch made them function in the exact same way after reviews?

Expecting this. Also, why have lootboxes at all then? Myabe just design your game in a more interesting way than "idk here's a box of shit."
Guerilla should've done the same thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting. What are their key franchises now (I’m assuming Rainbow Six and the Division?)

Those would be the two they are redesigning the company around, yes.

Ghost Recon is now a third pillar of that though. That's where you sell a traditional Ubisoft game, but you make it 100% playable in co-op. This formula has resulted in fantastic sales for Ghost Recon Wildlands, Dying Light, and Divinity: Original Sin.

I think they're worried that the lack of multiplayer will hit it a lot. Their singleplayer or mostly singleplayer games have been notably underperforming while their multiplayer games are all way above expectations.

adversarial

because people like that shit. it's a successful implementation of a feature most non-whales whine about. good on them. hoping this game does every well.

edit:

Ghost Recon is now a third pillar of that though. That's where you sell a traditional Ubisoft game, but you make it 100% playable in co-op. This formula has resulted in fantastic sales for Ghost Recon Wildlands, Dying Light, and Divinity: Original Sin.

I think they're worried that the lack of multiplayer will hit it a lot. Their singleplayer or mostly singleplayer games have been notably underperforming while their multiplayer games are all way above expectations.

Cannot wait for #2. I was looking forward to another Dead Island but I suppose that's never happening

Ahasverus

Ehm, Horizon? Nier? Ni-Oh?
Crash? FFXV?
The whole single player games are dead is a bunch of crap. They sell what they've always have. It's just that some online phenomenons overperform.

Ah yea, the stupid multiplayer situation. It is true, but it also sucks because I generally prefer single player only games. As for Origins, it is the first AC I am buying day 1 and the 1st one I am going to play since Black Flag so I am hoping for the best.

I honestly feel people just hate Ubi more than the average publisher on GAF. It feels undeserved. Am I wrong? Seems like people just want a reason to throw this game under the bus...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ehm, Horizon? Nier? Ni-Oh?
Crash? FFXV?
The whole single player games are dead is a bunch of crap. They sell what they've always have. It's just that some online phenomenons overperform.

Assassin's Creed used to sell 10-12+ million copies an entry.

The series went roughly:
- Assassin's Creed: 9 million
- Assassin's Creed 2: 10 million
- Brotherhood: 7 million
- Revelations: 7 million
- Assassin's Creed 3: 12 million
- Assassin's Creed 4: 11 million
- Unity + Rogue combined: 10 million, but it was implied Rogue was around 3-4 million IIRC
- Syndicate: Way down, so far they never gave numbers.

The games you listed have sold:
- Horizon: 4-5 maybe? Last number we got was 3.4 million.
- Nier: 2 million
- Ni-Oh: 1 million
- Crash: 4 million, and was a $40 game
- Final Fantasy XV: 6.5 million

You can imagine why a company like Ubisoft would not be happy with selling like the games you listed.

Ahasverus

It's a case of priorities. Yes, those online heavy games will sell more, but abandoning the niche completely is risking to lose that part of your income, because, as evidenced by the massification of online games, people not buying them are clearly not interested.

Better to sell 5 million that none at all. Just budget your development accordingly and it's smooth sailing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's a case of priorities. Yes, those online heavy games will sell more, but abandoning the niche completely is risking to lose that part of your income, because, as evidenced by the massification of online games, people not buying them are clearly not interested.
I would say Ubisoft is pretty likely to turn Assassin's Creed down the Wildlands route where it works like a traditional Ubisoft game, but supports two or four player co-op for the entire campaign. They've already done this to Far Cry 5.

Better to sell 5 million that none at all. Just budget your development accordingly and it's smooth sailing.
As you cut costs, your game has a harder and harder time reaching the sales it would have otherwise. Look at how Capcom's sales have been going.

There's also opportunity cost involved.

Theorry

I honestly feel people just hate Ubi more than the average publisher on GAF. It feels undeserved. Am I wrong? Seems like people just want a reason to throw this game under the bus...

No you are not wrong.
The whole downgrade Watchdog thing, bullshots and AC Unity didnt help them. And people cant get over that stuff. While in the meantime they did great things and learned from the earlier mistakes.

Bedlam

That doesn't sound reassuring at all. Quite the opposite, he basically confirms that MTs are there to buy "time-saving" stuff and shorten the grind. It's naive to believe that they won't have some sort of currency that you can buy with real money.

Ahasverus

There's also opportunity cost involved.
That assumes every online game is gonna be a hit. This year has proved the contrary. A loyal fanbase has value too.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Ubisoft will end AC this Gen narratively speaking, closing the modern day storyline with its Origins trilogy, with three traditional games with an increasingly online focus.

Then the Servicepocalyose will come with the next generation.

I wonder what the outlook is here, in the grand scheme of things. At Ubi’s scale of operation, it almost looks like vanity project.

Is this a way to test the waters to see how a “proper” single player game would perform in 2017 while keeping the franchise alive and relevant? I mean, given how long development cycles are, they must have already greenlit a follow up to this game (if they intend to do one).
Or is this just a transitional entry before they finish moving on to whatever they want their product portfolio to look like 2-3 years from now?

And yeah, they could definitely tune the overall economy down the line and introduce a secondary currency or simply sell chests.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That doesn't sound reassuring at all. Quite the opposite, he basically confirms that MTs are there to buy "time-saving" stuff and shorten the grind. It's naive to believe that they won't have some sort of currency that you can buy with real money.

Time savers have been a thing since Black Flag. I'd say the only case of Ubi playing fast and loose with crossing a line is treasure maps being behind the Helix Point paywall in Syndicate, but even that's a mild example as odds are you want them because you're chasing 100% completion, in which case you'll earn more than enough points throughout your time with the game, anyway.

Edit: Oops, Unity, not Syndicate. You can buy them from select shopkeeps in the latter.

Top Bottom