• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins' lootboxes are only buyable w/ ingame currency (but has MTs)

theaface

time-saver pack

I despise this. Make a game that's just fun to play, not one that feels like a homework assignment or soul-destroying job that you want to get through as quickly as possible. Regardless of how much spare time you do/don't have, playing something that you enjoy shouldn't cause you to feel the need to save time.

Akai__

Not really sure what the point of in-game currency lootboxes is. I will just buy the stuff that I want and won't invest money in lootboxes, just to have a chance on getting what I want.

7FT8npY.jpg

What is the Didact from Halo 4 doing in Assassins Creed?

sjay1994

I despise this. Make a game that's just fun to play, not one that feels like a homework assignment or soul-destroying job that you want to get through as quickly as possible. Regardless of how much spare time you do/don't have, playing something that you enjoy shouldn't cause you to feel the need to save time.

I get this sentiment and hate it also, but for a completely different reason.

I've played all these games... and I've enjoyed them (Unity and Syndicate being exceptions). My problem is, that in many cases a lot of cool shit is tied behind some cool form of gameplay.

Like, imagine if you could circumvent the tombs from AC2 and Brotherhood and just pay to have the armor.

It cheapens the task of getting it.

Ubi's developers make these cool things, but the marketing team seems to have such contempt for its customers that it believes they want to fast track and get things immediately instead of earning them.

Hell, there is no grind in AC unless you are going for collectibles, which for the most part add nothing to the game.

I don't understand why ubi feels compelled to put these stupid microtransactions into AC. And it baffles me as to how Farcry is seemingly untouched by this.

This game has lootboxes too? Do they think it's fun?
Even if it's buyable with ingame currency, it's still not fun.

It's a chest that gives you a random item.

Trying to call this a loot box would be like calling mimic chests in Dark Souls "Mimic Loot boxes"

People want to be upset for the sake of being upset.

I bet most of the people complaining in that thread had no interest in the game, and just wanted to spew shit because a reason opened up to enable them to do it, but now that it has been cleared up, they don't want to comment.

Some people are still trying to push a narrative that these chests are the same as Mordor and BF2's loot boxes.

Admittedly I haven't seen that thread but I am in that group. I don't even like Ubisoft and am always on the side of the consumer. You have no reason to trust Ubisoft on this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Admittedly I haven't seen that thread but I am in that group. I don't even like Ubisoft and am always on the side of the consumer. You have no reason to trust Ubisoft on this.
If this industry has taught us anything is that the consumers can be much more irrational than the studios actually making the games. I mean you literally just stated that you're part of the group of irrational people who wanna spew hot takes instead of being anything resembling reasonable about games that you have no intention of playing in the first place. Thinking there's some grand conspiracy to add loot boxes to Assassin's creed is genuinely asinine when it's literally just a mystery box merchant like other RPGs and we have FOUR different games that weren't affected whatsoever by MTs in terms of game progression. So i have to question how we can't trust Ubisoft to release yet another AC where MTs are literally just time savers when they've had more than enough games where they were consistent in that regard despite the grand conspiracy that overtime, we'd depend on them solely to get any sort of progression. And then we get the same type of person who wonders why devs and journalists consider the community to be so goddamn toxic. Get some perspective dude.

It sounds like you can buy the currency through time saver packs to speed up that currency rate to get the loot box. It's basically loot boxes with 2 extra steps but it appears better because you aren't out right buying the loot box. Like a merge between the 2 forms of MTs and loot box systems if I'm understanding this right.

If this industry has taught us anything is that the consumers can be much more irrational than the studios actually making the games. Thinking there's some grand conspiracy to add loot boxes to Assassin's creed when it's literally just a mystery box merchant like other RPGs and we have FOUR different games that weren't affected whatsoever by MTs in terms of game progression. So i have to question how we can't trust Ubisoft to release yet another title where MTs are literally just time savers when they've had more than enough games where they were consistent in that regard.

This right here. Some of you are being hysterical with the conspiracy stuff.

It isn’t always like that though. Some people do like to speed through content sometimes, I’ve known people like that. It’s strange, but if it doesn’t impact the overall game for the ones that prefer to take their time, then I don’t really mind it.

emag

Differential pricing.

Some people want tons of grinding, crafting, farming, collecting, and so forth, and judge a game by hours-per-dollar. These people probably have a lot more time than money.

Some people just want to play the main story (and possibly particular side quests/content) and judge a game by enjoyment-per-minute. These people probably have a lot more money than time.

Devs/pubs can have their cake and eat it too by creating a game that works out of the box for the first group and charging those in the second group extra to play it their way.

The normalisation of loot boxes in full price games with season passes is so goddamn frustrating.

Like y'all can't see where this has been and where it's going.

Zarovitch

Differential pricing.

Some people want tons of grinding, crafting, farming, collecting, and so forth, and judge a game by hours-per-dollar. These people probably have a lot more time than money.

Some people just want to play the main story (and possibly particular side quests/content) and judge a game by enjoyment-per-minute. These people probably have a lot more money than time.

Devs/pubs can have their cake and eat it too by creating a game that works out of the box for the first group and charging those in the second group extra to play it their way.

Why charging?
It can be a kind of difficulty option, a toggle if you want to grind or not.

I have never once had to buy in-game currency in any Assassins Creed game. This one won't be any different. It's scummy but it never messes with the in-game economy, if you do side quests and stuff you're always flush with cash.

Well loot boxes certainly fit into this games themes. They make so much sense in this context. Seems like I will be skipping this game as well.

ogbg

If the game doesn't sound fun to you then don't buy it. If it does sound fun then you won't need to bother about buying time saver packs. If someone else feels the need to buy and finish a game that they don't find fun then that's on them.

Zarovitch

1. Because it's more money for the devs/pubs
2. Because the grinders would be pissed if the second group of players got good loot for "free"

1- I know
2- Everybody have paid for the game, nothing is free, it's just you get it with less grind.

Crossing Eden

The normalisation of loot boxes in full price games with season passes is so goddamn frustrating.

Like y'all can't see where this has been and where it's going.
I mean we've had four different AC games with MTs. We've been hearing how it'll be doom and gloom and destroy the series. That was four years ago and still no indication that this is the case due to the reality of how MTs get added to games.
At the very end after much of the game's progression and balance has already been finalized.
On top of that, calling the mystery box nomad in this game a lootbox, is like someone else said, akin to calling the mimics in dark souls a lootbox. Or the mystery box merchant a lootbox merchant. Or the mystery boxes in diablo or path of exile, lootboxes.

Stupid freaking loot boxes! Just let us hunt shit down, find materials and, fucking craft them, not some randomized rng box. I hope it does as bad as syndicate. Not sure why they bother making another one after syndicate bombing so hard.

emag

1- I know
2- Everybody have paid for the game, nothing is free, it's just you get it with less grind.

You don't have to convince me. You have to convince all the loot farmers that they should be fine with their "work" having no value.

Crossing Eden

I just hope full charge game will stay interresting if we don't buy lootbox.
Literally every other person who has footage of the demo got better loot while exploring and questing than the one instance of someone buying a box from the Nomad in this demo.

Stupid freaking loot boxes! Just let us hunt shit down, find materials and, fucking craft them, not some randomized rng box. I hope it does as bad as syndicate. Not sure why they bother making another one after syndicate bombing so hard.
Perhaps you should do yourself a favor and A)Calm down because you seem to get irrationally angry at the sight of a specific term that doesn't even apply here, to the point that you're hoping a game doesn't do well financially. and B)Complete A before this step, Actually inform yourself about the game, here's a headstart for you in gif AND picture form:
GO1RMiV.gif

4MNXNUW.png

StereoVsn

Man, it seems like people are angry over nothing here. I hate lootboxes and bullshit MTs and yet the implementation here seems a)Non-consequential (MTs) and b)Actually using in-game currency.

Unless Ubi changes things so the grind is worse to make you buy MTs like 2K did with 2K18 or WB is doing with Shadow if War, I don't see a reason to panic. MTs have been there since Black Flag and seemed to be pretty inoffensive.

On the other hand Ubisoft is putting in a lot of work to freshen up the series and even provided a roadmap of free post game content releases. People need to calm down.

MUnited83

For you.

They've had MTs in Assassins Creed for like 4 titles now, and not a single one of them had their balances ruined because of it. If anything, their history shows there is little to worry about.

Why shitpost without any research?
You can craft, you can find the equipment out in the world, steal it from enemies, or buy it directly from in-game stores. You don't need the lootboxes for anything.

It sounds like you can buy the currency through time saver packs to speed up that currency rate to get the loot box. It's basically loot boxes with 2 extra steps but it appears better because you aren't out right buying the loot box. Like a merge between the 2 forms of MTs and loot box systems if I'm understanding this right.
Are you sure it works this way?

If so its like you say, just an additional layer of indirection over the purchase of lootboxes. I expected this to happen next as a response to backlash, but it looks like Ubi was looking ahead. It amounts to the same end result as premium lootboxes.

If this industry has taught us anything is that the consumers can be much more irrational than the studios actually making the games. I mean you literally just stated that you're part of the group of irrational people who wanna spew hot takes instead of being anything resembling reasonable about games that you have no intention of playing in the first place. Thinking there's some grand conspiracy to add loot boxes to Assassin's creed is genuinely asinine when it's literally just a mystery box merchant like other RPGs and we have FOUR different games that weren't affected whatsoever by MTs in terms of game progression. So i have to question how we can't trust Ubisoft to release yet another AC where MTs are literally just time savers when they've had more than enough games where they were consistent in that regard despite the grand conspiracy that overtime, we'd depend on them solely to get any sort of progression. And then we get the same type of person who wonders why devs and journalists consider the community to be so goddamn toxic. Get some perspective dude.

Actually yeah you do have a point. No wait, you don't.

I never said anything about having conspiracy theories...because I don't need to. I've seen enough of this loot box scam in games enough to know that this is a bad idea. There is no conspiracy here. Nothing irrational about it. Though you're right in that I don't care about Assassins Creed, they (and Ubisoft games) are generally trash bag games.

Secondly, companies are not your friend so you have no reason to trust them, especially with how loot boxes are a hot topic are the moment. C'mon dude, we're talking about Ubisoft. Ubisoft. The company which involves having to look at a spreadsheet which outlines which version comes with what, bait and switching games, having an absurd amount of DLC, broken games on launch, an edition that is nearly £1000 and couldn't even make Tetris (a game I did purchase was effected by). Ubisoft.

Thirdly, I am also stating that you as a consumer deserve the best and to get the most out of your money. That as a consumer, you shouldn't have to put up with this. I get this is t the current style of loot boxes and I understand how chests work, but this is off.
"You can get that from playing in the game," he reassured me. "Everything that's in the e-store you can get from playing the game. It's just an accelerated way of playing the game."
That statement has been used by so many people in interviews that I am expecting a form of AC money.

Literally every other person who has footage of the demo got better loot while exploring and questing than the one instance of someone buying a box from the Nomad in this demo.

Perhaps you should do yourself a favor and A)Calm down because you seem to get irrationally angry at the sight of a specific term that doesn't even apply here, to the point that you're hoping a game doesn't do well financially. and B)Complete A before this step, Actually inform yourself about the game, here's a headstart for you in gif AND picture form:
GO1RMiV.gif

4MNXNUW.png

My bad... It's just that all these loot boxes in SP games is messing with my head.

Crossing Eden

Actually yeah you do have a point. No wait, you don't. I never said anything about having conspiracy theories...because I don't need to. I've seen enough of this loot box scam in games enough to know that this is a bad idea.
To include common RPG mechanics into an RPG? You consider that a bad idea? Because this isn't a lootbox scam. It's a single merchant, who sells a box that contains RNG items instead of set ones compared to every other merchant in the game. What's the bad idea in that?

There is no conspiracy here. Nothing irrational about it. Though you're right in that I don't care about Assassins Creed, they (and Ubisoft games) are generally trash bag games.
Owtheedge.jpg

Secondly, companies are not your friend so you have no reason to trust them,
I have way more reasons not to trust the gaming community when it comes to judgements about these things considering my actual experience with the games and the effect that MT and lootboxes have had on them, which for the most part, has been incredibly negligible compared to the doom and gloom and just straight overreactions that're near constantly reiterated on GAF.

especially with how loot boxes are a hot topic are the moment. C'mon dude, we're talking about Ubisoft. Ubisoft. The company which involves having to look at a spreadsheet which outlines which version comes with what, bait and switching games, having an absurd amount of DLC, broken games on launch, an edition that is nearly £1000 and couldn't even make Tetris (a game I did purchase was effected by). Ubisoft.

Case and point, yea, we're talking about a pub with some of if not genuinely the most varied possible output this gen. Games which you aren't even playing yet think we should take your opinion on them seriously. And who've made more than enough effort to rectify their missteps this gen. But again, you'd know that if you were doing this thing called playing their games.

Thirdly, I am also stating that you as a consumer deserve the best and to get the most out of your money. That as a consumer, you shouldn't have to put up with this.
Put up with WHAT??? ONE merchant in the game who sells expensive mystery boxes who I can completely ignore since there not only are a ton of other merchants that sell specific items but also a literal country that if three demos and hours upon hours of unedited footage are to be believed, is filled with items.

I get this is t the current style of loot boxes and I understand how chests work, but this is off.
That statement has been used by so many people in interviews that I am expecting a form of AC money.
If you understood how chests or did even a 30 second google search you'd realize how much your overblowing the fact that there's a single merchant in the game who sells mystery boxes, like in other RPGs. But no, you saw the word lootbox. So suddenly this makes it bad, no research or facts needed.

My bad... It's just that all these loot boxes in SP games is messing with my head.
People should really calm down when they see the term lootbox.

RPGam3r

I love Black Flag, beat it twice which is rare for me.

I bought the time savers both times despite liking the ship combat. No shame. Of course I'm a bad dream/nightmare of GAF who was ok with the horse armor of yore.

Top Bottom